How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11

My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is
garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get
help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to
a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc
message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So...

How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to
an older version?

I found these instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer

and thought I'd try the section named, "Rolling back to a previous version
of the player." But these instructions are useless to me because I cannot do
step 4 (Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.) because WMP
does not appear in the list. Neither does clicking Show Updates cause it to
appear as the next steps suggest it will.

There is an Add/Remove Windows Components button I can click on on the left
side of the Add/Remove Programs window which brings up the Windows Component
Wizard. I see I can check Windows Media Player to remove it, but if I remove
it, can I cleanly reinstall it from the original WindowsXP disc or repair
it? If so how?

0
randwill

Do you have the folder C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallwmp11$ ?

If so, you could try using the spuninst.exe in its spuninst subfolder.

"randwill" <rwilliams4254@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is
> garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get
> help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it,
> to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc
> message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So...
>
> How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to
> an older version?
>
> I found these instructions:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer
>
> and thought I'd try the section named, "Rolling back to a previous version
> of the player." But these instructions are useless to me because I cannot
> do step 4 (Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.) because
> WMP does not appear in the list. Neither does clicking Show Updates cause
> it to appear as the next steps suggest it will.
>
> There is an Add/Remove Windows Components button I can click on on the
> left side of the Add/Remove Programs window which brings up the Windows
> Component Wizard. I see I can check Windows Media Player to remove it, but
> if I remove it, can I cleanly reinstall it from the original WindowsXP
> disc or repair it? If so how?

0
Jean
12/28/2009 1:10:58 AM
  WMP roll-back would not be in "add remove windows components",that
 option would disable the player.Try add/remove programs,click the box
 at the top "show updates",scroll to the bottom to uninstall WMP 11..However,
 i don't think thats the place to start.Try run,type: DXDIAG  Run the Direct X
 tests for audio.Also,in control-panel,administrative tools,locate event
viewer
 & see what the OS has/had to say on those areas.Also,download WMDiag from
 microsoft,it checks wm player.

"randwill" wrote:

> My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is
> garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get
> help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to
> a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc
> message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So...
>
> How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to
> an older version?
>
> I found these instructions:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer
>
> and thought I'd try the section named, "Rolling back to a previous version
> of the player." But these instructions are useless to me because I cannot do
> step 4 (Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.) because WMP
> does not appear in the list. Neither does clicking Show Updates cause it to
> appear as the next steps suggest it will.
>
> There is an Add/Remove Windows Components button I can click on on the left
> side of the Add/Remove Programs window which brings up the Windows Component
> Wizard. I see I can check Windows Media Player to remove it, but if I remove
> it, can I cleanly reinstall it from the original WindowsXP disc or repair
> it? If so how?
>

> .

I downloaded and ran the WMDiag tool. It produced a folder of Notepad files
that should be sent to a diagnostic professional. Can anyone recommended a
free diagnostic professional I can send them to?

>  WMP roll-back would not be in "add remove windows components",that
> option would disable the player.Try add/remove programs,click the box
> at the top "show updates",scroll to the bottom to uninstall WMP
> 11..However,
> i don't think thats the place to start.Try run,type: DXDIAG  Run the
> Direct X
> tests for audio.Also,in control-panel,administrative tools,locate event
> viewer
> & see what the OS has/had to say on those areas.Also,download WMDiag from
> microsoft,it checks wm player.
>
> "randwill" wrote:
>
>> My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is
>> garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to
>> get
>> help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it,
>> a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc
>> message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So...
>>
>> How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back
>> an older version?
>>
>> I found these instructions:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer
>>
>> and thought I'd try the section named, "Rolling back to a previous
>> version
>> of the player." But these instructions are useless to me because I cannot
>> do
>> step 4 (Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.) because
>> WMP
>> does not appear in the list. Neither does clicking Show Updates cause it
>> appear as the next steps suggest it will.
>>
>> There is an Add/Remove Windows Components button I can click on on the
>> left
>> side of the Add/Remove Programs window which brings up the Windows
>> Component
>> Wizard. I see I can check Windows Media Player to remove it, but if I
>> remove
>> it, can I cleanly reinstall it from the original WindowsXP disc or repair
>> it? If so how?
>>

>> .

0
randwill

Password Protection doesn't interop between Office for Window and Office for Mac 2004
I have an excel file that was created in Office for Windows and certain cells were password protected. When I open that same file with excel for Mac the password protection doesn't work. I tried tools>unprotect> .... I plug in the password and no luck. When I open that same excel file with another windows machine with Office for windows I'm able to access the protected cells after entering the password. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for office for mac? I'll be forced to buy a windows version of office which would make the mac version useless. I'm currently r...

Can Update Office 11.0
I am trying to give Office a whirl on my powerbook however I need to upgrade to 11.1 for it to work with my ofices Lotus Notes e-Mail. When I try upgrading I get the 11002:2,-14 error I've heard talked about in this newsgroup. I've tried all the suggestions but still no luck. I tried repairing permisions, re-installing, turning of Entourage notifications. Nothing works! Please help. Haven't a clue. Previous threads didn't offer anything? Try re-downloading the update. Maybe previous updates haven't been run yet. Use Help | Check for Updates and let it tell you what...

Long delay in opening New Message windows
My Windows mail has recently developed the problem of taking 10 seconds or more just to open a create new message window. How do I fix this? Did you add any 3rd party software into the Add Ins -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Jembeaux" <Jembeaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58C3591-9431-4BDF-8D32-9ACE1E12D41E@microsoft.com... > My Windows mail has recently developed the problem of taking 10 seconds or > more just to open a create ne...

Windows Live mail not downloaded into Outlook
I have an msn account, Outlook 2007, and Outlook connector installed on a Vista machine. Recently I've had problems downloading mail to Outlook. Outlook Connector shows that Calendar and Contacts are connected, but that there is an error in connecting mail. The error message says: Error in Mail Error with Send/Receive. Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder. Not sure where the Sync issues folder is. This has occurred at least three times in the past month. Once, I deleted my msn profile and started over, but I can't figure out why it occurred or how I was able ...

Mouse scroll not working in Module window
Access97 on HP Laptop on XP Pro Since installing Office 97 on my new (replacement) laptop I find the mouse scroll button does not work in the Module window - works everywhere else in Access ok? Any ideas appreciated. Piri yeah don't use ancient software, kid "Piri" <wiremu.pareiha@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1178247184.740213.222110@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... > Access97 on HP Laptop on XP Pro > Since installing Office 97 on my new (replacement) laptop I find the > mouse scroll button does not work in the Module window - works > everywhere else i...

Reinstall
I downloaded Money 2005 onto my desktop from the internet using "open" and did not use "save to file". I now want to reinstall it on my notebook. Is there a way to do this withouth repurchasing? ...

Flash Player
I currectly have Flash Player version 10,0,45,2 installed. I received a message that version 10.1.53.64 is now available so I clicked to install it and it installed but when I went to Adobe's website to 'test' which version I have, it stated that I still had 10,0,45,2. When I checked Adone's website again, it stated that 'Flash Player 10.1 Beta users must uninstall previous versions of Flash Player prior to installation.' Since this is true and nothing was uninstalled, why did it 'claim' to install without any issues? Thanks! Weird. ...

Windows Live Video Chat
I have a laptop that has an integrated webcam and microphone. Well I was trying to call a friend over Windows Live Messenger and the webcam works just fine. What doesn't work is the microphone. And I don't know why. Someone help please? Any suggestions? Answers? "Wicked Sin" <WickedSin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3555EA6-82B4-4831-B70F-1FE3206CB3CD@microsoft.com... > I have a laptop that has an integrated webcam and microphone. > > Well I was trying to call a friend over Windows Live Messenger and the > webcam wor...

does publisher 2000 run on windows xp?
thanks for helping if you know the answer Yes, all versions of Publisher run on XP, Publisher 1.0 maybe the exception. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Baudouin" <Baudouin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AA35200-15D7-47F2-8471-4E6737171B6A@microsoft.com... > thanks for helping if you know the answer Mary Sauer <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Yes, all versions of Publisher run on XP, Publisher 1.0 maybe the > exception. It runs. Not on...

*CANT log into Windows -please help
Hi, I need step by step instructions on how to use my recovery console CD in order to fix a problem. Here is my prob: A virus/malware scan I did probably messed up my logon file. The antivrus program either removed or quaranteined the virus/trojan that was attached to my logon file. Because when AVG prompted me to reboot after this scan, It stopped at the welcome screen logon part. I click on my user name (only one there) and it says its logging on...But then it says saving settings and nothing else happens. My machine does not reboot or anything. It just stays at this logon sc...

Windows Mail spelling control Dutch
Spelling control of my Windows Mail (Version 6.0.6000.16386 / Vista_rtm.061101-2205) is presently limited to English, French, German, Spanish. I want to include spelling control for Dutch. I received below advise, but after donwload and installation of the most recent version of Wlndows Live, no upgrade to below mentioned latest version has happened, nor is there a complement of 37 spell check languages. ********************** Make sure you have the latest version (14.0.8089.0726), and you have to be online to see the full complement of 37 spell check languages. ****************...

Adobe Flash Player and 64 bit Windows 7
I am trying to view the Lulu demonstration but cannot. I am using Windows 7 and IE 64 bit and apparently I need to run the 32 bit to see the demo. I don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated. John, For the time being there is no 64-bit flash player for IE 64-bit. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html You need to install the 32-bit flash plug-in and active-x from here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html After that you should be able to see your demonstration using IE 32-bit in Windows 7 64-bit. Carlos "John Melchitt" wrote: > ...

Outlook address book #11
Anyone know how to set the outlook address book to list the contacts by last name followed by first name? The default seems to be first name followed by last name.I have tried the settings under tools > options > contact options, but these settings only seem to effect how the actual contacts are files in outlook and do not change how they appear in the address book. I know it was possible to change this in earlier versions of outlook, but for some reason I can not locate how to do this in 2003. The problem this creates in when searching for an e-mail address, one needs to know the fir...

will RMS 2.0 work with Windows 7
Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you using? Yes 2.0.0126 -- Maurice Gordon Maurice@americanretailsupply.com Sales/Support 1-800-426-5708 XT 1307 "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E0D2035-1FB0-497E-8F73-AF5FDA947E64@microsoft.com... > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS are you > using? Hi Larry, RMS 2.0 SP2 working fine with windows 7 Vijay "Larry" wrote: > Has anyone tried using RMS 2.0 with Windows 7? What version RMS ar...

media player won't let me play certain DVD
Media player only lets me watch certain DVDs and tells me that I can't play some DVDS because they are copy write protected. I don't understand why copy write protection should determine if I can view a DVD. ...

How do I stop Excel from deleting the Window's Clipboard Contents
Note: This is with the Office Clipboard turned OFF! For example, If I write the following in 5 cells in Excel. [Hello ][My ][Name ][Is ][Fred ] Then I Copy (CTRL+C) the Cells: [Is ] and [Fred ] to the Clipboard... Then I press [Esc] (there are a dozen other ways to do this, but, this is the simplest) Now, I go to any cell, anywhere in my workbook, and press Paste (CTRL+V)... No Data... If I open up Notepad... Paste (CTRL+V).... No Data... Excel has *decided* for me, that I want to delete the Window's Clipboard Contents. Although I ha...

Excel 2003
There doesn't seem to be an Office 2003 group, I hope you can help, this is driving me mad! I want to open two different spreadsheets in two different instances of Excel, so I can compare them side by side without switching. Excel XP was OK, but Excel 2003 won't let me, so at the moment I've got one spreadsheet running on a different PC! I've seen a similar question asked many times, but the answer to use: Tools | Options | View Tab | Show| Windows in Taskbar does *not* fix the problem, this just lets you switch windows on the Taskbar; I want two separate windows like in X...

net folders #11
I am trying to use a shared calendar between two computers. I have set up everything with net folders based on all of the instructions I could find. The Outlook e-mail is set to Rich Text Format only on both PC's. The folder shares, all of the permissions are as entered, nothing is marked private. I can see the update messages being sent and being received, but nothing updates. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. ...

Modifying item lookup window
Is it possible to modify the item lookup window to show Description by default instead of Short Description? I know users can get to the description on that window with an additional click, but when they are doing lookups frequently that's a lot of extra clicks. Thanks. -- Jim@TurboChef Hi Jim, There is a product called SmartFill that will allow you to create the lookup window for an Item anyway you want. It is relatively inexpensive, probably a little more then the cost of customizing the window. But it works with Items, Customers, Vendors, Account Numbers, Employees, etc. it a...

Dynamics GP version 11
Where can I find information about changes/new modules for GP version 11? I can't seem to find anything on Partner Source. Specifically, I'd like to know if they are going to offer "e-statements" for payroll direct deposits-instead of having to print them, can we e-mail them. Thanks. Tracey D We are still under NDA, so no new functionality can be disclosed beyond what you saw in Convergence 2009. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dyn...

external usb HDD crashes Windows
It was supposed to be a good external HDD. after not using it for a while i connected it to two different PCs and first it is recognized and then screen goes black. both XP pro, one SP2 and the other SP3. If I leave it connected then the PC attempts to restart and crashes again. both PCs same deal. tried a different PSU and a different USB cable, same. Do not have a another enclosure, but am ordering one. It's a WD 5000AAKS not good timOleary wrote: > It was supposed to be a good external HDD. > after not using it for a while i connected it to two different PCs >...

Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\
Installing Microsoft Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista 32 SP1 products this error. Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\...) Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. ...

Outlook 2003 Reminder Windows
In previous versions of Outlook, the reminder windows for tasks, meetings, etc. used to come up in separate windows. In 2003 they come up in one box. Is there any way to get the multiple display back? Thanks, - Eric Nope...sorry. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:176b01c46f43$c2820790$a501280a@phx.gbl, EricS wrote: > In previous versions of Outlook, the reminder windows for > tasks, meetings, etc. used to come up in separate windows. >...

Business Data Lookup 07-11-06
I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which is supposed to allow CRM data to be inserted into office documents such as a Word file. Inside of Word 2003, I see a "Insert from CRM" button, but when I click on it, nothing happens. It is just clicked, but no options come up after that. Is this a bug? --- Brandon Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com I think it is. I experienced the same. On top of that it will slow down MS Office heavily. Forget it. "Brandon" wrote: > I have installed the Business Data Lookup add on which...

Trouble syncing playlists to Mp3 player
Hi there, I have a Coby MP705- 8GB that I am using with WMP 11. I am currently having trouble synching playlists from Itunes that are on my WMP to my Coby which had previously worked in the past. I manually go through the steps to add the playlists and watch as each song in every playlist is converted onto the Coby. This also results in duplicate songs on the Coby which I just delete by hand one by one (a little annoying). When the sync is complete and I click on the playlists for the Coby, I receive the message, "There are no playlists on this device." Not sure if I a...