How to prevent windows xp from installing a device driver automatically?

Hi,

How to prevent windows xp from installing a device driver automatically?
Every time I plug my phone it installs the latest driver but I want to be
able to install an old driver for it instead. Some of my test a repair
equipments I used to test these phones are not working with the new driver.

Thank you very much for your time.

Mac

0
Lisa

Sorry Shenan, I replied to your personal email by mistake. But I really need
help, hope someone would take the time to help me out.

I  can't install the old driver over the new one. The new driver was
installed by a new Sony Ericsson software package. Now when I go to and try
to roll back the driver, it does not work and when I try the "update driver"
it says windows can't find a better driver than the one already installed. I
already uninstalled the Sony Ericsson package but every time I uninstall the
new driver and plug the device again windows automatically install the new
driver.

Hope I am able to explain the problem in a way you can understand a
non-techie tell it.

Thanks again.

> Lisa wrote:
>> How to prevent windows xp from installing a device driver
>> automatically? Every time I plug my phone it installs the latest
>> driver but I want to be able to install an old driver for it
>> instead. Some of my test a repair equipments I used to test these
>> phones are not working with the new driver.
>> Thank you very much for your time.
>
> If you have installed a driver - and that driver is working - it should
> not install anything for it automatically.  It shouldn't need to.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Lisa
8/7/2010 10:52:01 PM
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 07:22:45 -0400, "Lisa" <0678768@00000hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>How to prevent windows xp from installing a device driver automatically?
>>Every time I plug my phone it installs the latest driver but I want to be
>>able to install an old driver for it instead. Some of my test a repair
>>equipments I used to test these phones are not working with the new driver.
>>
>>Thank you very much for your time.
>>
>>Mac

Right click on My Computer > select Properties > select Hardware tab >
select Windows Update tab > tick radio button for "Never search
Windows Update for drivers". That will stop Windows from trying to
load and acquire unwanted drivers. Now you should be able to roll
back, replace or install new/different drivers.

--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!

Automatic Mount of Private Store Fails-Exch 2000
First the symptoms: When users try to get to their accounts through the OWA they get 'HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable'. Tried to troubleshoot this error by following the article from mssoft. the only thing that 'fit' my situation was part which said to check if store are mounted. In exchange manager the private store wasn't mounted. So I mounted it manually. But still I can't access OWA or even using Outlook on the local network. After rebooting the server the same situation exists--the private store shows as unmounted but gives me no errors when I do try to mount it m...

Sharepoint Server install
Hi, I am wanting to get Sharepoint Server installed on working. I ran the install from the Dynamics GP 10 CD2 - this left me with a wizard. When I run this wizard, at the point of choosing Finish on the 'Define Location & Deploy' page I get the following error: 'Could not load or assembly 'Microsoft.Sharepoint, Version 12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, Publickeytoken=71e9bce11e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified' Any ideas please? Do I actually need to run the sharepoint install from other CD's? - I ask this as I do not...

Preventing users from opening onther users mailbox in outlook 2003
Hello I have just noticed that users in the office, can open other users mailboxes in outlook 2003. How do i not allow that? The only way i have figured it out , is to go into active directory, and go into a users acct under Exchange advanced, mailbox rights, and add individual users then deny them acces to that users mailbox. There has to be an easier way. And why would they be able to open them in the first place? Thanks in advance On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:10:29 -0800, Exchange 2003 <Exchange2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello > >I have just noticed that users ...

Automatically send email montly
I'm setting up scheduling on all the workstations to run cleanmgr.exe and AutoDeFrag.exe every month. When this task is complete I want the stations to e-mail the Log file (SchedLgU.txt) to me so I can check that the tasks ran properly. Is there a way I can automatically schedule the same e-mail & attachment to be sent each month? Cheers, Bruce Walker Take a look here, it may help: http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/skedrpt.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all ...

WM_QUERYCENTERWND and detecting creation of modal window.
I found that, the parent window is receivinig WM_QUERYCENTERWND when new modal window is started under that parent. I can capture that message in method CDialog::WindowProc. Capturing WM_QUERYCENTERWND is better then capturing WM_ENABLE, because when UI is multithreaded, it is possible to have two or more modal windows simultaneously connected to one parent (each modal window on separate thread). When second modal window is connected to parent window, I don't receive WM_ENABLE, but I receiving WM_QUERYCENTERWND each time when new modal window is shown. I need to count how many mo...

How to write text to command prompt console windows?
I am using VC++ 6.0 to build a windows based application, however, my application allows user to input command arguments in the dos prompt windows. I want to have a warning message for user if they have input the wrong arguments. How can I write text to the dos prompt windows if user input the wrong arguments? Thanks in advance. Steven. Steven wrote: > I am using VC++ 6.0 to build a windows based application, however, my > application allows user to input command arguments in the dos prompt > windows. I want to have a warning message for user if they have input the > wrong ar...

Append Query every day at certain time automatically
Hi, So i have a query qryStats. Basicaly i want to be able to see how the stats have changed over a period so i was thinking of turning that simple query into an Append Query so that it just add the results to a table tblStats. I tested it and it works great so i can design reports and the result is exactly what i want. Problem is im going to forget to run the query each day. What are my options? Can i write code of some kind that runs the append query each day at, lets say 16:00? YES but your db would need to be running in order for that to work. You could also create...

Automatic Emails
Hello I would first like to apologize if this has been asked before. I have seen some topic similar, but none the same. I am using Outlook 2003, and every morning I send the same email (with an Excel spreadsheet) to one person, CC'd to 3 other people. The Excel sheet never changes, neither do the recipients. Is there a way to set this up to automatically send this email every morning, Monday thru Friday? Thank you much Adam FT Benning, GA See if the info here helps: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/forms/skedrpt.htm <bladze420@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135086118.903225...

Windows Server 2008 Installation Error
Hi , I am trying to install WinServer 2008 checked build x86 in my computer but I get following error when I put the key: Windows Server 2008 Installation Error: Windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted. i restart the installation but the problem happens again. any fix for this? Thanks, Are you booting from the installation media? -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect "dfrg" wrote: &g...

After re-format / re-install of Store OPS, "Check Stores" button is missing.
I had to re-format and re-install Store Operations POS on 3 stations so far and now I am missing the check stores button in the POS when you click on the Lookup button. We have HQ running and it worked fine before. Any insight? Thank you. Matt Matt, Store Ops Administrator > File > Configuration > HQ Client tab > enter the machine name/address and the port number running the HQ Client program -- = <trae78@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1102806501.391415.197560@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I had to re-format and re-install Store Operations POS on 3 station...

Windows Explorer
One of my document folders has a bold heading that reads "Unspecified". The folder name is "2008". If I name it anything else, the heading disappears. What does this heading mean? -- ....Len -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > One of my document folders has a bold heading that reads "Unspecified". The > folder name is "2008". If I name it anything else, the heading disappears. > What does this heading mean? Maybe an answer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306554 Look into the second to last paragraph. Ber...

Error that prevents Copy Worksheet to another Tab
When I try to copy a worksheet as another tab in the same file or to another excel file, I get the error listed below. I can move the worksheet, I just can not copy it. Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file ‘C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFRE~1.JEF|LOCALS~1\TEMP”. There are several possible reasons: • The file name or path does not exist. • The file is being used by another program. • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook. Bullet point one has not meaning since at this point I am not trying to open a file. The program has not problem opening fi...

Priority Option on the MO Entry Window
Is there a way to set the default (Low medium or High) in the Manufacturing Order Entry Window? I would like it to default to Low, but it now defaults to medium... thanks! -- Doug Dear Doug, Actually it does not exist as option, but if you have VBA module registered, this will be easily customized, just add the form and the priority field to VBA and paste the following code lines: Private Sub Window_AfterOpen() Priority.Value = 1 End Sub Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://...

How can I change the Z-axes of my window or dialog? #2
Hello, All: I am now meetting a problem that the sub-window( or sub-dialog) would not be shown out in front of the parent window, however, I just wanna let it be shown in front of my parent window. Is there anybody who knows how I can set the Z-axes with any function? Thanks in advance! ...

All in one Windows 2003 Server as PDC with SQL and CRM
hello, can i install an Microsoft CRM Production Server as an All-In-one Solution with Microsoft CRM and SQL 2000 Server on the PDC (Windows 2003 Server)? Is this supported? What are the possible disadvantages besides not having an secondary Domain Controller for extra security? Andy in a testing environment this works but in production is not a good idea. The only supported single server deployment is sbs 2003 etc. why not supported? apart from SBS you should never start treating your domain controllers as application servers as if anything goes wrong you risk losing your entire AD....

ERROR 1053 when strating CRM 1.2 on Windows 2003
When strating the MSCRM Security Service I get the following error. ERROR 1053: THe service did not respond to the strat or control request in a timly fashion. We have just installed CRM prior to migrating it from a 2000 server. Any sygestions on what could be causing this ?? Thanks ...

Virtual Sound Driver
Hi All, I am using an HP ML series server with no sound card. This server is a terminal server. Client wants to add audio to the server. What is the best way to go about this? Is there a server sound card, or is there some type of virtual sound driver application that can be purchased from somewhere? Thanks, ...

Run Time error When Outlook XP starts in WXP
I just upgraded my Dell PII 400 from W2000 SP4 to WXP SP1. I was having a lot of problems with Outlook XP (all updates applied) crashing multiple times while in use, which was 1 reason for the upgrade. Now when I start Outlook, most times I get a message box entitled: 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' with the text: 'Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE abnormal program termination.' When I click OK, Outlook closes. The next time, it starts OK, but has to scan the Personal folder for errors. Fixes? Britt Dickson -- "In an era o...

Can't e-mail from Word 2000 using Outlook 2002/XP
After "upgrading" Outlook 2000 SP-1 to Outlook 2002, I can't create a Word letter from within Outlook or send a file to a recipient from within Word. When I try to create a letter from within Outlook, I get the error "To use this feature you must install the version of Microsoft Word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Outlook". I've tried The Outlook 2002 "repair", and even uninstalled it and re-installed Outlook 2000 SP-1. In that configuration, the software worked fine. But when I "upgraded" again to Outlook 2002, it was br...

Completing an OEM Install of XP--How to Do a Bit More??
I just successfully install of the XP OEM, full version. No icons appeared on my desktop. I figured out how to put on My Computer. Don't know for Network Places. The others I'll deal with as I install. An old drive is now in the place of D. It has lots of folders and files. I tried searching a folder there, and all Search would allow is D. How do I get to Browse a selected folder? I noticed some file suffixes or empty. I thought properties for a folder would fix that, but not. W. eWatson wrote: > I just successfully install of the XP OEM, full version. No icons >...

Install the correction patch from the Microsoft Corp.
--xslhigmqgpyd Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ojnjjhsfmxlpbrc"; type="multipart/alternative" --ojnjjhsfmxlpbrc Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fcabjchzl" --fcabjchzl Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to maint...

windows update fail...... What now?
ok so I had a problem with windows update downloading but not installing.. I did go to the windows file in the C: drive and manually installed it myself. Thinking that it would fix my install problem.. I was wrong.. I next have found out that in my event logger that my IIS6 is not working properly or something. It doesn't look right and in my event logger it says my security assessment tool 4.0 error 1303 I am the administrator and logged in already so what the heck? And I also would like to say that my computer is old and it's a IBM think pad running windows xp perfessio...

Mobile Device
Hi, I was wandering how a remote device if it's stolen or lost is wiped using the remote Wipe command from the Mobile Admin interface. If the device isn't connected, how does it get the wipe command from the server? I'm assuming if the device is set to manual sync, and the device isn't being re-sync'd then it'll never get the remote wipe command? Is this right? Cheers On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:28:00 -0800, Deano <Deano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I was wandering how a remote device if it's stolen or lost is wiped using >the remo...

maximize window
A co-worker worked on an Excel spreadsheet that we both use and Saved it. Now, when I open it, the workbook window is not maximized nor can I because the 3 buttons in the upper right corner of the window (Minimize, Maximize and Close) are nowhere to be found. The co-worker is unavailable for me to ask him what he did. How do I get the 3 buttons back so that I can maximize the window? TIA David Two options. If the title bar is just off the screen and you can't see it: Window|Arrange|Tiled (and resize the way you like it) If you can see the whole title bar, and that title bar is...

Adding the path and filename to all Excel documents automatically.
The organziation I work for requires that certain information, especially the path and filename, appear in the footer of all documents. I have been able to set this up in Word but I'm stuck as to how to do it in Excel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. --------------- Tykhung. Tykhung, Unless you have excel 2002 or later I think you need a macro, see here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pathname.htm#footer If you have not used macros http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm The first link also has a link to the 2002 instructions but here it is anyway http://sup...