Hidden folder problem

I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
Any ideas?

Bob
0
Bob

Open Internet Explorer, and add them there.

Bob wrote:

> I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
> I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
> I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
> Any ideas?
>
> Bob

0
Bob
2/9/2010 7:09:14 PM
The folder is hidden to IE also

Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ubO1ftbqKHA.5736
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> Open Internet Explorer, and add them there.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
>> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
>> I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
>> I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Bob

0
Bob
2/9/2010 8:01:42 PM
But that doesn't prevent adding the bookmarks.

Bob wrote:

> The folder is hidden to IE also
>
> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ubO1ftbqKHA.5736
> @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>

>>Open Internet Explorer, and add them there.
>>
>>Bob wrote:
>>

>>>I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
>>>C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
>>>I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
>>>I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
>>>Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Bob

0
Bob
2/9/2010 8:16:16 PM
It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links" folder to
add to.
> But that doesn't prevent adding the bookmarks.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> The folder is hidden to IE also
>>
>> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ubO1ftbqKHA.5736
>> @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>>
>>>Open Internet Explorer, and add them there.

0
Bob
2/9/2010 8:25:14 PM
Sounds like the location doesn't exist yet. Right click in the Menu
area, and select Links.

Bob wrote:

> It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links" folder to
> add to.
>
>>But that doesn't prevent adding the bookmarks.
>>
>>Bob wrote:
>>

>>>The folder is hidden to IE also
>>>
>>>Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ubO1ftbqKHA.5736
>>>@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

0
Bob
2/9/2010 8:32:18 PM
If you read my origional post. You will see it is visible from  the
command prompt. (You know Run, cmd, Dir) I can see the directory & all
the files in it. It is a windows problem!

> Sounds like the location doesn't exist yet. Right click in the Menu
> area, and select Links.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links"
>> folder to add to.
>>
>>>But that doesn't prevent adding the bookmarks.

0
Bob
2/9/2010 10:14:37 PM
Are you logged on as "HP_Administrator"?

Bob wrote:
> If you read my origional post. You will see it is visible from  the
> command prompt. (You know Run, cmd, Dir) I can see the directory & all
> the files in it. It is a windows problem!
> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Sounds like the location doesn't exist yet. Right click in the Menu
>>area, and select Links.
>>
>>Bob wrote:
>>

>>>It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links"
>>>folder to add to.

0
Bob
2/9/2010 10:47:10 PM
What version of IE?
IE8 uses the Favorites Bar folder instead of Links.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:25:14 -0800, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bob <Bob@somewhere.com> wrote:

>It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links" folder to
>add to.
>> But that doesn't prevent adding the bookmarks.
>>
>> Bob wrote:
>>
>>> The folder is hidden to IE also
>>>
>>> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:ubO1ftbqKHA.5736
>>> @TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

0
Alan
2/9/2010 11:03:58 PM
Bob <Bob@somewhere.com> wrote in news:Xns9D1A8E672345BBobsomewherecom@
207.46.248.16:

> I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
> I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
> I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
> Any ideas?

In addition to checking the "Show hidden files & folders", for some
files/folders you also have to UN-check the "Hide Protected Operating
System Files" a couple of lines down.

HTH,
  John
0
John
2/10/2010 7:07:40 AM
Thank you, but it is unchecked. The reason I want this, is because I use
Links from the toolbars. I use Fifefox, not IE but I think this folder
became hidden after one of the IE updates, which I should probably have
ignored.
Bob
John Wunderlich <jwunderlich@lycos.com> wrote in

> Bob <Bob@somewhere.com> wrote in news:Xns9D1A8E672345BBobsomewherecom@
> 207.46.248.16:
>
>> I have 1 hidden folder. All the others seem visible. My folder is
>> C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Favorite\Links
>> I want to add some bookmarks to Links. It is visible in CMD mode
>> I have "Show hidden files & folders" checked in tools
>> Any ideas?
>>

> In addition to checking the "Show hidden files & folders", for some
> files/folders you also have to UN-check the "Hide Protected Operating
> System Files" a couple of lines down.
>
> HTH,
>   John

0
Bob
2/10/2010 2:25:30 PM
I do not know if it is the exact same problem but it looks similar to what
happened on my computer. The hidden temporary folder in my account somehow
became a system folder. I tried changing it back to hidden in the sys admin
account but couldn't do it. I never found a solution for it.

Frank

"Bob" <Bob@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> If you read my origional post. You will see it is visible from  the
> command prompt. (You know Run, cmd, Dir) I can see the directory & all
> the files in it. It is a windows problem!
> Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Sounds like the location doesn't exist yet. Right click in the Menu
>> area, and select Links.
>>
>> Bob wrote:
>>
>>> It does when you go to "Add to Favorites" and there is no "Links"
>>> folder to add to.

0
FrankV
2/10/2010 3:28:10 PM
attrib -s <dir name> will remove the system attribute

FrankV wrote:
> I do not know if it is the exact same problem but it looks similar to what
> happened on my computer. The hidden temporary folder in my account somehow
> became a system folder. I tried changing it back to hidden in the sys admin
> account but couldn't do it. I never found a solution for it.
>
> Frank
>
> "Bob" <Bob@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>If you read my origional post. You will see it is visible from  the
>>command prompt. (You know Run, cmd, Dir) I can see the directory & all
>>the files in it. It is a windows problem!
>>Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>

>>>Sounds like the location doesn't exist yet. Right click in the Menu
>>>area, and select Links.

0
Bob

Some Contacts List messages going into Junk Mail folder
My wife and I use the same computer, and we have our separate email addresses set up in WLM. We also share the Contacts folder. Starting about a month or two ago, many of the messages from my wife's friends, who are in our Contacts folder, have been going repeatedly into her Junk Mail folder. Even clicking of the Not Junk option has failed to stem this flow. I have not had this experience with my email messages. What might we be missing in our setup? Gordon Biggar Hotmail type accounts for both email addresses ? - Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com *Note: All Hotmai...

Problems installing Office 2004
I used a trial version of Office 2004 in my MacBook until it expired. I few days ago I bought I licensed Office 2004 - Student and teacher edition and tried to install it in the MacBook. I deleted the previous version by dragging all Office folder to trash. I inserted the CD but could not install using the installer since it did not appear active, so I copied the whole Office folder to the Applications. After this I tried to open an Office application, but no one opened. I tried to remove Office using the removal tool but that also did not open. Any suggestions of what should I do? ASPer...

How to extract public folders to disk?
Hi is there any way to extract public folders to file system. Regards, Vasily On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:22:01 -0700, Vasily <Vasily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >is there any way to extract public folders to file system. Copy to a pst via Outlook. > >Regards, >Vasily thank you, but let me specify more clearly - we need to extract the whole public folders structure (including files) and then upload it to SharePoint. "Andy David {MVP}" wrote: > On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:22:01 -0700, Vasily > <Vasily@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

HTML spreadsheet problem
Hi, I have created a spreadsheet with Excel and have saved it to a HTML format to be browsed on the web. All works fine but the formatting has not been taken to the HTML version, and I have some fields that have capital letters in the HTML version that are small characters in the Excel format? Not really sure how this is possible? I have the same problem in reverse: internet pages opened in Excel are all fouled up. I think its due to the filters, the components that turn one sort of file into another. Sometimes, updating your filters will work. First, you might want to make sure that you...

Duplicate contact folder
Using Outlook XP (2002). When creating a new email and I click on To:, I get two 'contact' folders. When viewing the Outlook folders list in 'normal' node, there is only one contact folder?! How do I remove the duplicate folder so that it doesn't appear when I click on To:? TIA Maurice Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing directories or address books > Outlook Address Book > Change. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Maurice Bishop" <Office@NoSpamHerePleaseThankyou.MJBishop.com> wrote in message news:7HADb.1362$tQ6.19788@ward...

CFileDialog drives me insane. Handle Problem ?
Hi, i want to communicate some strange Problems i have with CFileDialog. Hope someone can push in the right direction. 1. Problem: CFileDialog FileDlg(true); INT_PTR nResponse = FileDlg.DoModal(); if (nResponse == IDOK){}else{return;} LPSTR file = FileDlg.GetFileName().GetBuffer(); LPSTR folderPath = FileDlg.GetPathName().GetBuffer(); ULONGLONG fSize = GetFileSizeInByte(fileUrl.GetBuffer()); long GetFileSizeInByte(const char* sFileName) { std::ifstream f; f.open(sFileName, std::ios_base::binary | std::ios_base::in); if (f.eof()) { return 0; } if (!f.good()) { return -1; } ...

OWA logon problem #4
Hello all, here's my problem: Exchange 2003 with SP1 on Win2003 SP1 on a two-node-cluster. If the Clusterresource HTTP-Server restartet (after boot, crash or failover) nobody can logon to OWA because HTTP-Error 500 (Internal Server Error). After an administrator logged on via OWA (yes, he can !) all the other users can use OWA because they can log on now. Any idea ? Regards Ralf ...

Stationery Problem with ImageMaps OL2K / 2K2
Good Evening All, Thanks in advance for your responses. I'm developing a pretty simple stationery for a customer. Basically it's a three row table with images used as headers and footers. The footer image has 7 e-mail addresses on it and I setup a simple inline imagemap to facilitate hyperlinking. All good so far. Note that I developed the page in Notepad, and tested it using Outlook 2000 SR-1. I've sent the e-mail friends and colleagues who also use Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, Opera, and others. They everybody was able to utilize the imagemap links... except the custom...

Exchange folders
I am having difficulty discovering how to send a document to an exchange folder in Excel XP 2007. I cannot see the phrase or Icon on the Excel options, customize and all commands. ...

Problem with a date and concatenation
I got some data out of one of our in house databases and it comes out as 01/022206, for example..a missing second "/" (we need to FIX that damn databse too) I have thousands of these rows, and I need to do some analyses by date, so I need a correct date. So I was going to use text to columns> fixed width and separate the 01/02 from the 2006, then I would concatenate with (replacing the actual contents with the cell name of course) ="01/02"&"/"&"2006" But when I do the text to columns, I get the 2006 but I I don't get 01/02.. I get a...

MX/DNS problem in Exchange
One of my users (on SBS 2003) has intermittent problems sending mail to a particular user elsewhere. After some research, I found out that the recipient's mail mail servers were moved from one domain hosting provider to a new domain provider, but they left their website (xxx) & domain hosting (.com) with the existing domain provider. So... the recipient's domain, abc.com correctly resolves to an IP address at the old provider, 123.com. I can nslookup or ping abc.com, and it correctly resolves to the old IP address. However, the MX records (as tested externally via a websit...

problems compiling xsd in .Net 2003
Hi, I have an .xsd document (Inc_B.xsd) that "includes" two more from the same folder: <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc.xsd" /> <xs:include schemaLocation="Inc_A.xsd" /> They all have the same targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd" xmlns:ir="http://tempuri.org/Inc.xsd" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" When I try to use xsd utility from .Net command prompt to compile Inc_B.xsd - I receive the following error: Could not find file '\Inc_B folder\Inc.xsd'. I need to assign 'Inc_B.xsd'...

Problem with Outlook e-mail after installing Microsoft Publisher
I have not been able to send e-mails from Outlook after installing Microsoft Publisher. Any suggestions on how to remedy this sotuation? Are you getting an error? Is Outlook working okay through other programs? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Techblues" <Techblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCE2A75-8...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

moving all incoming mail to deleted items folder
We are trying to setup students who graduate from our school so that any incoming mail will be forwarded to a new address and if they have not setup a forwarding address, their incoming mail will be deleted with an out of office reply sent to the sender indicating that the user is no longer a student and has not setup forwarding. Graduated students would also not have OWA enabled as well. The one thing that seems hard to do is to create a rule that will move all incoming mail to the deleted items folder. Does anyone know of how to have all incoming mail subject to a rule to move to deleted ...

problems printing from MS Office Picture Manager
Operating System is Vista. When running MS Office Picture Manager (Office 2007) drop down option pulls up other printers (which work and MS XPS doc writer or install new printer. Install printer works up to and including print test page which prints normally. Like I said it pulls up the other printers and works with everything but MS office picture manager. Is there a way to associate the printer with MSOPM Have you tried right-clicking on any picture and then selecting "open with" method? This would allow you to associate all pictures to open in MSOPM when you cli...

Exchange 2k3 Public Folders/NNTP
Another newbie query - have tried to create an NNTP feed (so that I can monitor these newsgroups) and have managed a peer to peer pull arrangement with outbound posting. However, having got almost all of the way, I have the sub folders in Internet Newsgroups, but no posts have appeared. I also note that I am unable to delete these newsgroup folders, even as administrator on the server machine - it seems that the only owner is the Exchange server itself. What am I missing here - it must be something obvious?!! TIA Steve ...

Browser Problems in Windows XP
I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in installations of Windows XP. In some installations it works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the web site and then the window closes with no error. Has anyone experienced this problem before? I can log in with all the user accounts from any windows 98 computer using the same browser version. Thanks for any help. Eric Davison wrote: > I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in > installations of Windows XP. In some installations it > works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the ...

Can't delete a personal folder
Hello. My problem is that I somehow ended up with an extra personal folder and I simply can't delete it. I've tried moving the .PST file and creating a different one. No luck. I've even uninstalled outlook 2000 three times to no avail. After I uninstalled it I looked in "My Documents and Settings" where Outlook and other applications leave data behind and I deleted everything that I found but that didn't work either. I reinstalled Outlook 2000 and there was my Personal Folder again! When I click on the properties and I try to close it it says "Ob...

Problem with CHKDSK
Hi When I run CHKDSK it gets a pass with /i but it hangs at the reboot with /f and /x and it says "CHKDSK is verifying indexes (Stage 2) 0 percent complete" and I have to reboot. I have a Seagate disk drive. I downloaded and ran Seatools for windows and got a pass on Long Drive Self Test. So I can assume that the disk is OK. The utility is read only it does not do any repair. I tried to do an Avast anti-virus scan but it stops before completing the scan and the computer has to be rebooted. Disk cleanup also freezes the computer Any idea of what I could do...

Windows Live ID Problems
I have been using Money 2006 for the last 2 years. Since the online updates stopped as of 9/1/08, I was prompted to download a new version. I downloaded and installed MS Money Plus 2008. When I attempt to log in using my Windows Live ID and password I get the following error: "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again." I never had this problem with the older version. My Windows Live ID and password work fine on this website and when I go to the main passport website. I am using Windows XP Home Edition, and have been for the last 5+ years. I have re-...

SP3 Problem
Ever since I installed SP3 for Office XP, I have been getting the following error - "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" I get this error only when I use Word as my email editor. Hence what is happening is that Outlook thinks that Word is a rogue program trying to send unauthorized emails. My question is, is there a way to prevent this - a whitelist of programs for example? Ajit Disable the PDFMaker addin. (See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems for details on how to do this.) "Aj...

Problem with KB982526 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for
If I install this update and then reboot my computer freezes right after the boot screen animation... The only way I can get my system back is to boot safe mode and uninstall the update.... Tried this three times, twice thru windows updates, once with the downloaded update files from microsoft I'm running Win7 ultimate x64 HELP! HOW TO Hide an [Optional, non-security] Update... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html Tim S wrote: > If I install this update and then reboot my computer freezes right after > the...

Messages in sent folder automatically gets deleted periodically on IMAP account
Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 using IMAP on Windows Vista Home Premium Every once a while, my email messages in my "sent" folder for some reason gets automatically deleted. Is there a way I can prevent this from taking place? Other than accessing the account via POP3 instead of IMAP, no. snomazushi wrote: > Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 using IMAP on Windows Vista Home Premium > > Every once a while, my email messages in my "sent" folder for some reason > gets automatically deleted. Is there a way I can prevent this from taking > place? ...

Outlook 2000 and purging IMAP folders
I recently signed up with an outside mail provider and their default configuration is to use IMAP, not POP3. That was fine, but I just learned about this problem: My email client (Outlook 2000) doesn't purge deleted items from the server. Earlier this week one of my clients had sent me about 25 MB of attachments, and they bounced today. Turns out that my mail was over its quota of 100 MB. (I got this service so I would *never* run out of room!) The mail service admin told me today that most email clients can send an instruction back to the server to "purge" deleted items fr...