Help with a batch file

I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I can run the
application from commandline, specifying, among othjer options, the
partition to target, and the location and name of the output image
file.

Here's what I want to do.

List all the existing image files in the output path.
They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and C_Drive-002.tbi etc.

I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use it to
generate the filename for the next file. In this case it will be
C_Drive-003.tbi.

On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the oldest
image file, leaving 2 files there.

I will then run this script as a scheduled task to regularly image my
system.

So I need to know, how to parse the output of a DIR C_Drive*.tbi /o-D /
b to find the seqence number of the current image file, and then pass
that to the next line which executes the image program.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0
cornedbeef007

cornedbeef007-groups@yahoo.com.au wrote in
ups.com:

> I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I
> can run the application from commandline, specifying, among
> othjer options, the partition to target, and the location
> and name of the output image file.
>
> Here's what I want to do.
>
> List all the existing image files in the output path.
> They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and
> C_Drive-002.tbi etc.
>
> I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use
> it to generate the filename for the next file. In this case
> it will be C_Drive-003.tbi.
>
> On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the
> oldest image file, leaving 2 files there.
>
> I will then run this script as a scheduled task to
> regularly image my system.
>
> So I need to know, how to parse the output of a DIR
> C_Drive*.tbi /o-D / b to find the seqence number of the
> current image file, and then pass that to the next line
> which executes the image program.

First thing I am curious about, why try such a bizarre manner of
imaging - while using an Acronis image file extension to boot,
so to speak?

The second is, WHY do all that imaging? Too much free drive
space getting on your nerves? Imaging drives is not an efficient
manner of backing up data. Partitioning and organizing things
is. Why not just get a regular scheduled backup happening and
image C: only when it is necessary?

Which made me think that you might be able to find an old DOS
program which can be scheduled/automated and will run from a
command line within XP. Or something like that. If you really
want to do what you described. But C: should only contain the OS
and programs, and not necessarily even ALL programs. Therefore
aside from basic clean-up of junk and maintenance, it does not
need to be imaged unless you make significant changes to your
system.
0
thanatoid
1/10/2010 1:09:18 AM
On Jan 10, 12:09=A0pm, thanatoid <wait...@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
> cornedbeef007-gro...@yahoo.com.au wrote innews:9d3e709e-abd6-4e26-b3da-14=
e0be729aad@22g2000yqr.googlegro
> ups.com:
>

> > I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I
> > can run the application from commandline, specifying, among
> > othjer options, the partition to target, and the location
> > and name of the output image file.
>
> > Here's what I want to do.
>
> > List all the existing image files in the output path.
> > They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and
> > C_Drive-002.tbi etc.
>
> > I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use
> > it to generate the filename for the next file. In this case
> > it will be C_Drive-003.tbi.
>
> > On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the
> > oldest image file, leaving 2 files there.
>
> > I will then run this script as a scheduled task to
> > regularly image my system.
>
> > So I need to know, how to parse the output of a DIR
> > C_Drive*.tbi /o-D / b to find the seqence number of the
> > current image file, and then pass that to the next line
> > which executes the image program.
>
> First thing I am curious about, why try such a bizarre manner of
> imaging - while using an Acronis image file extension to boot,
> so to speak?
>
> The second is, WHY do all that imaging? Too much free drive
> space getting on your nerves? Imaging drives is not an efficient
> manner of backing up data. Partitioning and organizing things
> is. Why not just get a regular scheduled backup happening and
> image C: only when it is necessary?
>
> Which made me think that you might be able to find an old DOS
> program which can be scheduled/automated and will run from a
> command line within XP. Or something like that. If you really
> want to do what you described. But C: should only contain the OS
> and programs, and not necessarily even ALL programs. Therefore
> aside from basic clean-up of junk and maintenance, it does not
> need to be imaged unless you make significant changes to your
> system.- Hide quoted text -

After all of your rant, do you have any suggestions on my batch
file......?

I thought not!
If you can't help, $!@#$ OFF!
0
cornedbeef007
1/10/2010 4:25:44 AM
You can try SyncBackSE

--
Peter

<cornedbeef007-groups@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I can run the
> application from commandline, specifying, among othjer options, the
> partition to target, and the location and name of the output image
> file.
>
> Here's what I want to do.
>
> List all the existing image files in the output path.
> They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and C_Drive-002.tbi etc.
>
> I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use it to
> generate the filename for the next file. In this case it will be
> C_Drive-003.tbi.
>
> On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the oldest
> image file, leaving 2 files there.
>
> I will then run this script as a scheduled task to regularly image my
> system.
>
> So I need to know, how to parse the output of a DIR C_Drive*.tbi /o-D /
> b to find the seqence number of the current image file, and then pass
> that to the next line which executes the image program.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

0
Peter
1/10/2010 1:13:27 PM
cornedbeef007-groups@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> After all of your rant, do you have any suggestions on my batch
> file......?
>
> I thought not!
> If you can't help, $!@#$ OFF!

Several million 1/4" drill bits are sold each year. But none of the people
who bought a /4" drill bit actually WANTED a 1/4" drill bit.

What they wanted was a 1/4" HOLE.

Attempting to divine what you really want from trace bits you've scattered
about is a useful technique to provide you with a solution to your original
problem.

It is unlikely that you really want a batch file (unless you collect them
and trade them with your friends).

0
HeyBub
1/10/2010 1:15:56 PM
cornedbeef007-groups@yahoo.com.au wrote in
oups.com:

<SNIP>

> After all of your rant, do you have any suggestions on my
> batch file......?
>
> I thought not!
> If you can't help, $!@#$ OFF!

Yes Mr. Goolper, Sir!
And thank you for not top-posting, but NO thanks for not
snipping!
0
thanatoid
1/10/2010 3:52:06 PM
On Jan 9, 7:56=A0pm, cornedbeef007-gro...@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> I have an application to image my hard disk partitions. I can run the
> application from commandline, specifying, among othjer options, the
> partition to target, and the location and name of the output image
> file.
>
> Here's what I want to do.
>
> List all the existing image files in the output path.
> They will be in the format C_Drive-001.tbi, and C_Drive-002.tbi etc.
>
> I want to find the seqence number of the last file, and use it to
> generate the filename for the next file. In this case it will be
> C_Drive-003.tbi.
>
> On the succesfull completion of the image, then delete the oldest
> image file, leaving 2 files there.
>
> I will then run this script as a scheduled task to regularly image my
> system.
>
> So I need to know, how to parse the output of a DIR C_Drive*.tbi /o-D /
> b to find the seqence number of the current image file, and then pass
> that to the next line which executes the image program.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Here is a script that will do that.

Assumptions
-----------
- All the image files C_Drive*.tbi are in folder "C:/images/storage
folder"
- The command-line (that's good) application to create the image takes
the following format.
        /path/to/imagetool.exe "/path/to/output file"

# Script LatestImage.txt
var str imagelist, lastimage, firstimage, sequence
var int seqnum
# Go to folder where images are stored.
cd "C:/images/storage folder"    # ENTER CORRECT PATH HERE
# Collect a list of images already in the folder.
lf -n "C_Drive*.tbi" "." > $imagelist
# Files are listed by name, so the first file is earliest image.
# And, the last file is the latest image.
lex -p "l" $imagelist > $firstimage
lex -p "1" $imagelist > $lastimage
# NOTE "1" in the first lex is ONE. "l" In the second lex is ELL.
echo -e "DEBUG: First image is " $firstimage ", Last image is "
$lastimage
# Get the sequence number from the last image.
# It is before the last . and after the last dash
stex "]^.^l" $lastimage > $sequence ; stex "^-^l]" $lastimage > null
# Convert the sequence to an integer number.
set $seqnum =3D makeint(str($sequence))
# Increment $seqnum
set $seqnum =3D $seqnum + 1
# Put $seqnum in string format
set $sequence =3D makestr(int($seqnum))
while ( { chen $sequence } < 3 )
    set $sequence =3D "0"+$sequence

# Run the image tool.
echo -e "DEBUG: Creating next image sequence " $sequence
system ("\""+"/path/to/imagetool.exe"+"\"") ("\""+"/path/to/output
file/"+"C_Drive-"+$sequence+".tbi"+"\"")
# Delete the first image.
system del ("\""+$firstimage+"\"")

Script is in biterscripting ( http://www.biterscripting.com ). To try,
save the script in file C:/Scripts/LatestImage.txt, then execute in
biterscripting this command.

script "C:/Scripts/LatestImage.txt"

I have not tested the script since I don't have the image tool. Test
it first by commenting out (#) the 'system delete' command.

0
Richard
1/10/2010 5:12:18 PM
On Jan 11, 4:12=A0am, "Richard.Williams.20"
<richard.williams...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> # Increment $seqnum
> set $seqnum =3D $seqnum + 1
> # Put $seqnum in string format
> set $sequence =3D makestr(int($seqnum))
> while ( { chen $sequence } < 3 )
> =A0 =A0 set $sequence =3D "0"+$sequence
>
> # Run the image tool.
> echo -e "DEBUG: Creating next image sequence " $sequence
> system ("\""+"/path/to/imagetool.exe"+"\"") ("\""+"/path/to/output
> file/"+"C_Drive-"+$sequence+".tbi"+"\"")
> # Delete the first image.
> system del ("\""+$firstimage+"\"")
>
> Script is in biterscripting (http://www.biterscripting.com). To try,
> save the script in file C:/Scripts/LatestImage.txt, then execute in
> biterscripting this command.
>
> script "C:/Scripts/LatestImage.txt"
>
> I have not tested the script since I don't have the image tool. Test
> it first by commenting out (#) the 'system delete' command.- Hide quoted =

Thanks Richard,
Exactly what I need. Take two stars from petty cash!
0
cornedbeef007
1/10/2010 8:55:50 PM

> Thanks Richard,
> Exactly what I need. Take two stars from petty cash!- Hide quoted text -

You are welcome. Always nice to hear back.

0
Richard

Macro help #12
Hi, I am working on a macro in Excel 2003 Pro, and everytime I go to sort a column of data. There are about 10 rows of data in about 200+ columns. I can only get the macro to sort the column that I edited it with. How can I create the macro, so each time I click on the first row of each column, click the macro button I will assign to the toolbar, then that row will be sorted, and do this for each column? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, Jeff Garrett (user_jeff@hotmail.com) Hi Jeff please post your current code and then we can suggest changes to it. Cheers JulieD "...

Please help user accounts cannot log in
Hi all, well I caught a virus. I had essentials but some how it is unable to delete the virus and the real time protection has been disabled. Upon working with support we manage to find the problem in windows32 folder. It is a fake security virus. Unfortunately i was unable to delete the applications. I some how did something because now i cannot log in at all. Windows start up and gets to the user account section. When i click on any account it starts and then immediately logs out. This is even in safe mode under admin. I was able to at least get into windows and now i cannot. A...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

Date Range Formula Question
Hello, I'm having trouble with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help. :confused: Sample Data Includes the following: Pay Period Start Pay Period End Pay Period # 12/16/01 12/29/01 26 12/30/01 01/12/02 25 01/13/01 01/26/02 24 01/27/02 02/09/02 23 02/10/02 02/23/02 22 The pay periods continue until there are 26 pay periods for the entire year....

How do I get excel files to open automatically from directories?
When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get the file I want. There must be a way to have them open automatically. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:22:01 -0800, Damian <Damian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I try to open excel files from the directory or from desktop I only get >a blank worksheet not the file. I have to then go through File Open to get >the file I want. > >There must be a way to have them open automatically. Go to Tools -> Options -> Gen...

HELP!!! 08-30-03
please elp me. my mom is a medical transcriber and she has a dictionary she uses through windows 98. and her comp has no memory, so we need to update her operating system inoder to put more memory on there. she needs her dictionary and i was wandering how to access it and if possible how to save it on to a cd. thank you for ur time Dear jason you have to have a dictornary corect i have one i could email you if you like just email me back i mean i use this dictornary really well and it works for 95-Xp so if you want give me a hollar ok peace out danny "jason" <jasonr_206@hotm...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Outlook 2002 multiple file opening
In Outlook 2000, CTRL A would select all attached picture files, then Open would, in my case, open the files in Paintshop Pro. With the 2002 version I cannot find a way to do this. Any suggestions? ...

"File: send to mail recipient" not working
When users (on WinXP) select file, "send to mail recipient", no response from Outlook 2002. This occurs either when Outlook is open or closed. Problem happens when rt. clicking on .doc, .xls, .pdf's....all files. Any ideas?? Thanks!! ...

help with installation isue
Hope this is correct NG When I try to run `Karens replicator` (for external backup) My PC automatically runs an installation for publisher 2003 and then gives error message........... Istallation error require file SKU019.CAB then asks for original CD to be inserted. Publisher still works ok I can`t see what the relationship between the 2 are, how do I stop this trying to install? thanks -- Rent a villa in Turkey http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/ I would suggest aksing the folks over at karenware.com. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/troubl...

HR Help menu
The Help menu is not available in the Employee file screen. Also there is not at this time any french version help menu available with HR. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/de...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Barcodes Code
I am trying to print a barcode in the 128 code. Though it seems the public domain/GPL ones of the truetype do not print a scanable barcode. Is there any suggestions... Or if anyone can point me into the right direction on how to do this or point me in direction of one that will work with access or excel 2000 or 2003. Much appreciated. Or help me figure out WHY it isnt producing a readable one in 128.. Hi Lester, Perhaps the problem is with the resolution on your printer. Try printing the barcode larger. Perhaps even turn off print to fit under print, page setup. --- HTH, David McRi...

Help please #8
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C6D1D3.B9AB1720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm having this error message. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control=20 Event ID: 8231 Date: 9/6/2006 Time: 4:39:10 PM User: N/A Computer: MAIL Description: Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=3DSystem = Policies,CN=3DDOMAIN,CN=3DMicrosoft = Exchange,CN=3DServices,CN=3DConfiguration,DC=3DDOMAIN,DC=3Dcom':'MAD.EXE'= ,...

Excel Template Wizard, Very Large File Size
Background: Excel 2000. I created a spreadsheet and used the template wizard that links to an Access 2000 database. The template was later used to create one record and saved as a spreadsheet. The database also contains this one record. Spreadsheet and database work fine. Later I reduced the Access field size properties (none are larger than 150, most are less than 50). There are 35 fields. Unexpected result: The Excel spreadsheet (template) and the linked Access database are huge. The spreadsheet is 35MB and the associated Access 2000 database is 24MB. Each contains one record (a si...

Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates.
Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates. Hey Friends, I have an xml given by our partner trying to integrating with us and i have their certificate with public key installed in both personal and trusted people folders. when i am using the following code to check the signature of message signed by my certificate i am able to verify the signature but when i am trying to check the signature of the message of our partner using the same following code i am not able to verify the message. the message sent by our partner is right below the code.I wou...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

Help needed please
I am running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2002 as the client connection. On a couple of machine it has not been possible to send mails. When mails are sent to this machine from the Internet, they are received but those sent from the internal exchange do not get delivered. When the user connect through Outlook Web Access, the mails are sitting there. I have tried to reinstall Outlook a number of times but all I get when I click Send/Receive mail from the exchange server is this error message: "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try ag...

Services won't stop! HELP!
I do offline backups of all our remote Exchange 2003 servers. A batch file is run with a series of "net stop" commands the shuts down all the Exchange services, and then kicks off the backup. I just noticed that the batch file is no longer able to stop most of the services! When i run it manually, it just says "The xyz service is stopping........................" The "....." just keep going and going and the service never stops. What could cause this?? On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:41:29 -0500, "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote: >I do offline ...

Advanced Filter help
Hi All I'm trying to filter a list using advanced filter. The problem i'm having is that i'm picking up records i do not want, even if i use the unique record check box. let me give you an example! My record i want to pick up is code: 009/04025, however it seems to give me all codes starting with 009/04025 eg 009/04025C, 009/04025CG, 009/04025SD etc. The only item i want filtered is 009/04025. Is there maybe a wildcard or something i should be using?? Thx Anthony Set up a criteria range, say X1:X2, where X1 houses the label heading the codes and X2 the formula: ="=009/...

OL2000
When opening an attachment in OL2000, the program creates a file in a temporary directory on my hard drive under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK6A2\. This directory is filling up and I would like to clear it. Unfortunately in XP SP2, this directly is not visible in when exploring files in my computer. I believe that I have all "show hidden files and folders" settings checked. Also, the file explorer shows (sometimes) that there is a sub directory under "temporary internet files," but it does not show up when I look further....

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Batch Totals
Is there a field for the 'batch total' This is found on the 'sales batch entry' screen. It's stored in a temp table called 'Batch Headers Modified Temp'. You won't be able to view it or use it in any kind of reporting because it is a temp table. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com You can find the batch total (Batch Amount) fied in the Batch Headers table (SY00500). Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at ht...