FAT(32) media sometimes accessible, sometimes not -- strange solution found

I wrote earlier of a problem on one machine with XP Home SP3. It would
not read floppies of FAT32-formatted thumb drives that were readable on
other machines. I could format a floppy on this machine, but DIR claimed
that it did not have a recognizable file system. RMB -> Properties
showed the file system as RAW.

Now I find that this happens only if the machine is booted with no
FAT32-formatted media attached. If I boot up with a FAT32-formatted
external drive or thumb drive in place, it can read them and will
continue to be able to read FAT(32) media even when the one(s) present
at boot time has/have been detached.

Is this behavior normal? If not, how do I remedy it?

Perce
0
Percival

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> I wrote earlier of a problem on one machine with XP Home SP3. It would
> not read floppies of FAT32-formatted thumb drives that were readable on
> other machines. I could format a floppy on this machine, but DIR claimed
> that it did not have a recognizable file system. RMB -> Properties
> showed the file system as RAW.
>
> Now I find that this happens only if the machine is booted with no
> FAT32-formatted media attached. If I boot up with a FAT32-formatted
> external drive or thumb drive in place, it can read them and will
> continue to be able to read FAT(32) media even when the one(s) present
> at boot time has/have been detached.
>
> Is this behavior normal? If not, how do I remedy it?

I have seen such reports before but I've never
seen a cause or a solution. I have NTFS only
computers without a floppy drive, and there is
no problem with FAT formatted USB drives under
XP SP2+SP3.

Creating a very small FAT formatted partition on
the internal drive and removing it's drive letter
would be a cure.

Uwe

0
Uwe
2/17/2010 8:10:58 AM
On 02/15/10 07:29 pm, I wrote:

> I wrote earlier of a problem on one machine with XP Home SP3. It would
> not read floppies of FAT32-formatted thumb drives that were readable on
> other machines. I could format a floppy on this machine, but DIR claimed
> that it did not have a recognizable file system. RMB -> Properties
> showed the file system as RAW.
>
> Now I find that this happens only if the machine is booted with no
> FAT32-formatted media attached. If I boot up with a FAT32-formatted
> external drive or thumb drive in place, it can read them and will
> continue to be able to read FAT(32) media even when the one(s) present
> at boot time has/have been detached.
>
> Is this behavior normal? If not, how do I remedy it?

OK, I think I found the real problem: the sptd.sys file left behind
after an apparently incomplete uninstallation of Daemon Tools, a utility
that allows an .iso file to be treated as a CD or DVD.

I had to download the stand-alone Daemon Tools installer and select the
Uninstall option. Running the uninstall process that had been installed
along with the original installation apparently had not been entirely
successful.

Perce
0
Percival

cannot create profiles in win 7 mail 32 bit
I upgraded to WIndows 7 professional 64 bit and still cannot get my MS Office 2003 to work properly. All the programs except Outlook seems to work fine. I am totally unable to open outlook without mail profiles. I click on mail in control panel and I get low memoery or resources too low. That's impossible. I have 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM. In addition, I noticed to night that while I created a profile for myself as Admin, I do ot have admin permissions EVEN IF I say 'run as admin" If I open my profile, it syas Admin under my name yet shows up as standard user. I...

XP Media Center
Hello, I have Media Center 2002 and I recently installed SP3 and now the Media Center does not work. The error says: ehshell.exe - Strong name validation failed for assembly... Is there a fix to this problem? Thank you. ...

NTBackup / No Entires Found
NTbackup says it successfully backs up the Information Store\First Storage Group and SRS\ SRS Storage. But when going to "Restore and Manage Media", select the tape media, under log files, Mailbox Store and Public folder Store, they all show "No entries found". Thoughts? You just select those objects. Restoring part of an Exchange backup (just a database or some logs) wouldn't work and thus I guess its just trying to prevent that. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not...

comdlg32.ocx and Access 2007
I have several Access databases that were originally written using an Access version prior to Access 2007. I am in the process of converting the databases and installing them on new machines running Win7 and Access 2007. Over the years, one of the References I commonly used was comdlg32.ocx. It does not appear that either Win7 or Access 2007 installs that particular Active X file. I can copy it from an older machine, but that seems like a strange solution. Is comdlg32.ocx a "legacy" Active X file and has it been replaced with a newer (and differently named) Activ...

Downloaded songs no longer appearing in Media Player
Hello! I have been downloanding and ripping songs for a few months now and they all appear in Media Player once I play them once. Nothing has changed to my computer or software systems (I'm on Vista and using Limewire). Now, for some reason, the songs I'm downloading will play if placed in the "Now Playing" area but do not save to the Media Player library. Is there a possibile limit to the number of items in the player? Any other suggestions? I appreciate any ideas anyone would pass along as I'm working on a project and cannot afford to lose what I&#...

Inserting Excel into Access Reports

Simple Access counting queries

Expression Too Complex in Access 2000
Hi, Consider the following query: SELECT crTbl.acct_1, crTbl.amount, crTbl.date FROM crTbl WHERE (((crTbl.acct_1)="Supplies") AND ((crTbl.date) Between [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![startDate] And [Forms]![crReportOptionsFrm]![endDate])); The query works fine on my own computer in Access 2002. When converted to Access 2000 and used on an other computer, I get the following error: "This expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex to be evaluated. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables." The problem is with the "Between...

Crystal Report not found on File Repository Server
I recently upgraded our MSCRM server to a new server. We don't typically use the internal CRM reports, we have some custom ones created with PowerTrack that we primarily use. The CEO tried today though to open one of the canned MSCRM reports and got this error message. I tried the others and I get it on all of them. CrystalReportViewer File frs://Input/a_063/021/000/5439/6ac34043c58b1112.rpt not found on File Repository Server. I checked the input folder in c:\program files\crystal ent 9\filestore\input and it is empty. I would have copied them from the old server, but it is ...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Windows media player
Why does windows media player keep popping up? David wrote: > Why does windows media player keep popping up? OK, I give up. Why does Windows Media Player keep popping up ? How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 Windows Media Player General Discussion http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&cat=en_US_44d7101f-71dd-4f9a-b6b9-45215557dd35&lang=en&cr=US MowGreen ================ *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten ================ banthecheck.com "Security update...

create main configuration file for solution.
Hello. How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. Thanks :) "Mr. X." wrote: > Hello. > How can I create main configuration file for my solution (Win-Form : VS > 2008. VB.NET), like a general ini-file. > It's called an app.config. There is a name space you can use to mainulupate the app.config from a program. I see it on the project source directory (not for solution). I cannot see it on the release directory. Is there any convention to read / write from app.config...

Remote access to another company's Outlook calendar?
Hello! I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version not known yet). How can the remote company share this person's calendar with my client? He would need to access it and add appointments to it. Thank you for the help! Gregg Hill On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:24 -0700, "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote: >Hello! > >I have one client on Exchange 2003 that wants to access the calendar of an >employee (consultant?) at another company running Exchange (version no...

Can't connect to Exchange server after VPN access
I can connect to my office Exchange server when in the office (LAN) but I cannot connect outside with Outlook. I can only use the webmail after entering a web VPN access: - First portal for VPN : https://xxx.yyy.com --> I enter my user_VPN/password_VPN - On the next web page, I have the choice for the webmail and it's a link as https://xxx.yyy.com/go/webmail.yyy.com~ssl where I can enter my user_mail/password_mail So I can't enter the url in RPC as every slash is forbidden In my Outlook, the Exchange server (EXC.yyy.com) is not reachable by ping (or tracert) and I can't ...

Access 2007 12-17-09
I am building a contact data base for my church. How do I get the phone field to automatically format like this (xxx) xxx-xxxx when the numbers are typed in the cell? -- Thank You In the form design view select the phone control and open the properties dialog. Goto the Data tab and use the Input Mask to define the format you wish to use. If you click on the ... to the right hand side on the property you will get another dialog where there are predefined input mask or you can define your own. For instance, I use !\(999") "000\-0000;0;_ to format my telepho...

my vista media player stoped working!!
I can not find a download fix that works do I have to reinstall vista if so that sucks bad On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:29:01 -0700, mainman <mainman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can not find a download fix that works do I have to reinstall vista if so >that sucks bad It's only going to be possible to help you if you can provide a specific description of what "stopped working" means - and step by step we could follow to guess what the problem area(s) might be. Try to isolate it for example by playing a CD (can you hear it ?), playing some music ...

ntbackup job terminates with "media failed to mount" message
Hi ntbackup on Win Server 2003 running Exchange 2003, backup to 4mm DDS tape. We run two nightly backup jobs, one for the Information Store which ( operates correctly (with or without the /um switch), and one for files backup which doesn't complete correctly and ejects the tape on the last or 2nd to last job (there are 8 jobs, usually error occurs in job 7 or 8) The backups total about 23 Gb but we are using 20/40 Gb tapes with hardware compression enabled. Report pasted below. Our previous backup schedule consisted of only 1 job, and this error was corrected by appending the /um switch t...

Can Entourage be used to access Google Groups
I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on Entourage or Mac Mail? Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something everyone except me knows. Thanks, Michael Plog On 1/31/10 3:25 PM, Michael Plog wrote: > I am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. In Entourage, I see this > news server. Can I get some of my newsgroups in Google Groups to show on > Entourage or Mac Mail? > > Responses off group will be welcome if I have asked something e...

Publish A Workbook Onto The Web, Then Access Using My Web Browser.
How do I access my spreadsheet, or workbook, on the web once I've saved it as a webpage from the file menu? I've found that even though I've save my workbook as a webpage, it does not have an http:// address which I can type in my web browser to access the workbook from my home computer or from a remote computer. Should I have to sign up with an http:// service provider or can this all be done from using Microsoft Office XP without going through a third-party? -- sigmad You have to have a website first of all, otherwise, where do you want to host this page? "sigmad&q...

link file from virtual windows xp to access 2007 on windows 7 plat
I am trying to link a paradox db file to access 2007 db. The paradox file resides on a virtual windows xp platform within the windows 7 platform of the physical machine. How do I map this field into access? -- cblackman ...

Unhandled exception at 0x10001e80 in EXCEL.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x10001e80.
Hi All, Does somebody know what's a shit is that? I installed XP from scratch, then all service packs and update, VS etc., finally I installed the Office 2000. When I close Excel (and Word as well) I get this error. Unhandled exception at 0x10001e80 in EXCEL.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x10001e80. I installed all service packs and updated over the office, no results. My friend told me that it's a big difference how did we install Office, in what order. If I install the Office exactly after Windows main installation, then install all other packages, updates, ...

Puzzling out the Navigation Pane (Access 2007)
Hi All, Been looking at the Access 2007 Navigation Pane as a replacement for the venerable Switchboard. Soo... I can create shortcuts to objects, put those shortcuts in Custom Categories and Groups and Disable the DesignView property of the shortcut. Ok. I can run an autoexec macro to hide all native categories. Fine. What's to prevent the end user from right clicking on the shortcut and enabling DesignView again? ...