Error Disabling Connection

Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
and found drivers off the net.

As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
to my DSL modem. That part works ok.

But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
by another user or the system account."

WTF ... Over.

What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
to be able to disable this connection???

Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
adaptor??
0
chuck

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message
> Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
> Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
> and found drivers off the net.
>
> As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
> the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
> to my DSL modem. That part works ok.
>
> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
> by another user or the system account."
>
> WTF ... Over.
>
> What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
> to be able to disable this connection???
>
> Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
> adaptor??

  See if this helps:
http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/disablenic.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Brian
12/31/2009 1:20:02 AM
Brian A. wrote:

>> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
>> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
>> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
>> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
>> by another user or the system account."
> See if this helps:
> http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/disablenic.htm

Thanks for the link. Tried them all. Even disabled the MoBo
LAN and added a LAN adapter. Still cannot disable. Have
used Task Mgr to shutdown most of what's running. Still cannot
disable the LAN.

Gonna yank the cable when not on!

0
chuck
12/31/2009 6:24:08 PM

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> said this in news item
> Found this pc along the roadside. A P4 2.4Ghz.
> Have added a hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3
> and found drivers off the net.
>
> As with my other machines, I have made a shortcut on
> the desktop for the LAN Network Connection which connects
> to my DSL modem. That part works ok.
>
> But ... when I try to disconnect the network connection, I
> get a nastgram: "It is not possible to disable the connection
> at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols
> that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated
> by another user or the system account."
>
> WTF ... Over.
>
> What does this mean in English and is there anything I can change
> to be able to disable this connection???
>
> Hmmm ... maybe disable the LAN port in BIOS and add a LAN
> adaptor??

It's a long shot but you could try the batch file below. It relies on
devcon.exe which you can download from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe.
Do not retype the code - use copy & paste, then set the correct name of your
NIC.

@echo off
goto Start
Use this batch file to enable or disable a device
from the Command Prompt.
16.4.2006 FNL
:Start
SetLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
set Adapter=Broadcom NetXtreme Fast Ethernet

if /i "%1"=="enable"  goto go
if /i "%1"=="disable" goto go
echo Syntax: Device  enable / disable
goto :eof

:go
set HWID=x
set count=0
set found=no

devcon hwids "PCI\*" > c:\device.txt
for /F "tokens=*" %%* in (c:\device.txt) do (
  set /a count=!count! + 1
  if /i "%%*"=="Name: %Adapter%" set found=yes& set count=1
  if !found!==yes if !count!==3 set HWID=%%*
)
if %found%==yes (
  echo HWID=!HWID!
  devcon %1 "!HWID!"
) else (
  echo Device "%Adapter%" not found.
)
endlocal
del c:\device.txt

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 6:34:34 PM
Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.
0
chuck
12/31/2009 11:26:52 PM

> Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
> fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.

Let's see your solution for the benefit of other posters with a similar
problem!

0
Pegasus
12/31/2009 11:35:38 PM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone@verizonNOSPAMk.net> said this in news item
>> Thanks, but I found another BAT file online that
>> fixed it. Did a reconfigure on cryptographic services.
>
> Let's see your solution for the benefit of other posters with a similar
> problem!

@echo off
:: Batch file that tries to remedy error # 800710D9
:: "Unable to read from or write to the database".
:: Author: Torgeir Bakken
:: Date: 2004-08-30

cls
echo This batch file will now try to remedy the error 0x800710D9.
echo To abort and not run it now, hold down Ctrl and press C.
echo Otherwise press the space bar to continue.
pause

:: Stop the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\System32\net.exe stop CryptSvc

:: Rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\Security folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\Security\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old

:: Rename the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
move /y %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2old

IF not exist %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 GOTO CONT01

:: In case the folder rename failed because of locked files
:: rename all log files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2 folder
FOR %%a in (%SystemRoot%\System32\CatRoot2\*.log) DO move /y %%a %%a.old
SET catroot2locked=True

:CONT01
cls
echo.
echo Please wait, this might take some time...

:: Unregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
CD /D %SystemRoot%\System32
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s /u cryptdlg.dll

:: Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll

:: Configure and start the Cryptographic service
%SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
:: Start the Cryptographic Service
%SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
cls

echo.
If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
again...

GOTO END
:CONT02
echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try
echo to install SP2 again)...
GOTO END

:END
echo.
pause
0
chuck
1/1/2010 1:22:00 AM

> [...]
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
> start /wait regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
>
> :: Configure and start the Cryptographic service
> %SystemRoot%\system32\sc.exe config CryptSvc start= auto
> :: Start the Cryptographic Service
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net.exe start CryptSvc
> cls
>
> echo.
> If "%catroot2locked%"=="True" GOTO CONT02
> echo Finished, please reboot the computer and then try to install SP2
> again...
>
> GOTO END
> :CONT02
> echo Please run the batch file again with a newly restarted computer...
> echo (but if it is newly restarted, just do a reboot and then try

Fascinating stuff. What baffles me is how you could make a connection
between your inability to disable a network adapter and the cryptographic
services. The two subjects seem totally unrelated to me.

0
Pegasus
1/1/2010 10:10:36 AM
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
> Fascinating stuff. What baffles me is how you could make a connection
> between your inability to disable a network adapter and the
> cryptographic services. The two subjects seem totally unrelated to me.

According to the one that made the script: "it seems that this error is
caused by corruption in the db or problems with registered DLL files
required by the service"

0
chuck

Unable to connect to 2008 server (\\server)
Hello, Last week I started having an issue connecting to a 2008 server's mapped drive. When ever I try to connect, it keeps prompting me for a user name and password, I put in what I know to be the correct ones (I even deleted and recreated my user on the 2008 server) and still no luck. Users that can connect on other PCs cannot connect on mine. I've checked Event viewer and there's no errors, or warnings listed.. I know that's not a lot to go off of, so let me know what other information you need... Oh and im running Vista Bus. 32bit. TIA Drew (cross pos...

ISINTEG Error on Attachments
I am getting some warnings when I run ISINTEG on the Attachments, Starting test 12 of 20, 'Attachment' Warning: Attachment 2146 (Atid=0001-000000116450): Error ecNotFound-MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND adding (FID,MID) to refdb Warning: Attachment 2147 (Atid=0001-000000116451): Error ecNotFound-MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND adding (FID,MID) to refdb , number of rows = 16919. Time: 0h:0m:14s, number of warnings = 2 I can not seem to get rid of them. Anyone have any other ideas of how to purge these rogue attachments? Rob Running Isinteg couple more times may fix this. If you still cannot get rid of th...

Link Error #2
I was able to use CL.exe to compile and link .cpp or .c file in a command line. But all in a sudden, I can not do this any more, as I always got such an error message: LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Documents' I didn't do complicated compiling. e.g. I even tested with the "hello word" thing. cl hello.c where hello.c is just this: #include <stdio.h> main() { printf("hello world!\n"); } But again, this LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Documents' happens too! It seems something wrong with the path that CL....

Publisher/Fatal Error
When I try to re-install MS Publisher 97 back on my computer I get a fatal message error. The program ran without exceptions for several years, then I uninstalled the program and when I tried to re-install I just get the message error. I suspect that when I uninstalled a file from Windows 98 was deleated. But I am not sure. Has anyone else had or seen this problem Charlie Install in safe mode if you can. HP printers can cause this error. Disable your printer before you install. What is the exact error message? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.or...

Error in coding going from one computer to another.
I have a database that works great on my laptop where it was created. I placed it on our server but I am the only one who can access and work with it. Everyone else gets an error for the String. Any suggestions? This is the actual error: Private Sub Combo230_AfterUpdate() ' Find the record that matches the control. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[Quality Plan ID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![Combo230], 0)) If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark End Sub where ther error is at 'Str'. Thank you Dyper How about telling us t...

How to configure wired Internet connection via ethernet?
Got new laptop with Windows 7. How to configure wired Internet connection via ethernet? "Balzer" <balzer@nospam.microsoft.news> wrote: >Got new laptop with Windows 7. How to configure wired Internet connection >via ethernet? Umm...I don't think you need to do anything. Just plug in the network cable. The OS should make a call to the DHCP server and get everything it needs from it. You just start using it. -- Tim Slattery Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message ...

Solver internal error sensitivity report
Hello, I use the solver add-in in the German version of Excel 2007. When I try to generate sensitivity reports I get an error message: unexpected internal error. The generation works once when I uninstall and re-install the add-in. Obviously it is not an option to re-install the add-in for each sensitivity report... Any ideas what the cause may be? Any suggestions how to solve the issue? Thanks. Patrick ...

Not even Office Live Using Document Connection
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3331376369_11931625 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit While others are saying they can use the SP2 version of Document Connection to Office Live but not Sharepoint I can�t even get connected to my Office Live Workspace which I have been using via the browser for a long time. I can't add my Office LIve Workspace location to Document Connection. The gear just spins and what�s almost as bad it...

How to resolve error This transaction is being edited by another u
Hi, We are attempting to open a Document Number in the Job Quote Entry Window (3rd party app I believe by Wennsoft or BSP) within Great Plains. When trying to pull up a specific Job Quote (Document Number) we get the following error message: "This transaction is being edited by another user" After doing some research on KB, I found this kind of error is common in standard GP windows like SOP or POP. The solution seems to be to run the following scripts in SQL to free up "locked" transactions: delete * from SY00800/SY00801/ACTIVITY (against the DYNAMICS database) an...

Lost Connection to Public Folders
Hello All, I think I just shot my self in the foot and set the "Everyone" usr permissions to DENY on my Public Folders. Now I cannot view my Public Folders Tree within the Exchange System Manager. Is there any way I can reverse this so that I can view my public folders again. Thanks, Eric Pls run Forestprep and Domainprep in your exchange server again!If you are Windows 2000 DC Domain it will reset Exchange permission! Or you can using ADSI , find the public folder object and reset the permission http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823017 -- Jammyù...

error in excel
my documents in excel was lost, not totally lost it was just the word was all written in #VALUE!, i dont know why, can you help me,, plsz.. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Dynamically Create Printer Friendly Pages http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/43a34cd0-239e-470f-8048-d797ee4dbf0f/dynamically-create-printe.aspx ...

Disable command button on read only form
Hi, I have a form that is opened in Read Only to allow the user to view history data so it cannot be changed. I am using the same form that allows the user to enter data when opened normally. Instead of creating a whole seperate form, I need to disable delete record buttons so they cannot click on it and delete some data purposely. Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking 1. how can I disable the delete button on read only forms? and 2. how can I disable automatically the delete button on the Editable open form after a new form is created? ...

Error when adding teams
Hi... I receive and error when I attempt to add a Team - I currently have no teams defined, but 5 users are defined... The error is vague... An error has occured see your system administrator for details. The event log says: MSCRM Platform Error Report -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: The server is unwilling to process the request. Error Message: The server is unwilling to process the request. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Numbe...

Error 0x800CCC0F
I have been running Outlook 2002 for a couple of months with no problems. This last week I started getting a the message 0x800CCC0F when I send e-mails with with attachements. A small file, about 20k will send. But if the file is much larger (I know I fail at 40k) I get the above message. Any help would be apprciated. ...

Error accessing FRx remotely
1) I tried to access Frx to create / run a report remotely this morning. When I log in, I get this error: FRx Report Engine: Invalid path specified for Work Drive 2) When I try to run a report, I get the same error above as well as: Error 9060: during the BuildXML procedure Any suggestions? Go to Processing Options off of the Admin menu in FRx. You will notice the path for the work drive. Depending upon how FRx is set up on your system, this path should be in a folder that you have read/write access to use or your local C drive. -- Charles Allen, MVP "GPI" wrote:...

Error when creating companies
Hello, We have quite a strange issue when creating companies using de GP utilities (tools). This the preliminary data: + Windows 2003 server standard, SP 1 + SQL Server 2000 std edition, SP4 + GP 8.00 g44, SP3 The last time that a company was created successfully was in January this year; but recently we tried to create another one and got this error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] String or binary data would be truncated. Once we check in the SQL Enterprise manager we got the following: 1. The newly created company's BD is there (e.g. MyNewGPComany) as well as it...

File access error in Excel
I just started having a weird problem in Excel. I go to save a file that I recently opened and updated, and I get an error message that access to the file is denied for a file sharing error. If I save the file to another file name, and then immediately "save as" back to the original name, it works fine. I tried uninstalling and reloading Excel (a very laborious process because I must uninstall and reinstall all of Office Pro, and then download all updates since my CD copy). This seems to fix the problem for a while, but it returns a few weeks later. I am baffl...

data error while opening files
when i open excel or word existing file i getting contents as "DATAError [47 0F 94 93 F4 K5]" instead of my saved data. pls help me solving. My all word & excel files are have same problem. ...

Outlook 98 Advanced Find error
When I perform an Advanced Find I receive the error "Outlook cannot perform your search. Outlook cannot display the view. The folder already exists." Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Amanda Minneapolis ...

errors
hello group I lost my main identify after i crashed outlook express sp1 and i cant get it configured . I used the configure E-Mail link but it Did not work. I get errors ox800ccc34 when outlook opens and error ox8004207 when i click receive all. Thank you ED ...

PWA error: unexpected error occured
Hi, I have imported my servers into Hyper-V for test environment, and now everything is up but I cannot access pwa.. it gives me the error 'unexpected error occured' This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01CAE797.5EEA45D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Zozo, Try posting on the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup (forum). = Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products = and other useful Project information can be seen at this...

Roaming Office Errors for Network Users
We have had ongoing issues with Word and Excel, both v.X and 2004. In Word, the problem is usually a Disk Full error, with Excel it is usually a Document not Saved error when the user saves. Our users are network accounts on Xserves running 10.4.9 and clients are both PPC and X86 Macs, running 10.4.7 - 10.4.9. All user IDs are unique and managed via Open Directory. The problems arise typically after the user has been working with the file for some time. In the Word situation, the error pops up unexpectedly, while the Excel error only pops up on a save. In both cases, Word and Excel f...

Error 425. Printer is locked
"Error 425. Printer is locked and cannot be accessed." Anyone know what causes this error? I have only the SO POS software running, and I also have the option in Configuration->Options set to share OPOS printers setting. Printer works in the Epson OPOS "check healthtouch" test. Hi, I have this same problem, and I don't have a solution. Have You found a solution for this error, 425? It is urgent, for me. Thanx in advance... Antonijo -- ADTodorovik "craiga" wrote: > "Error 425. Printer is locked and cannot be accessed." > >...

#VALUE! error
I'm sorry but I added to this formula and it started with the #VALUE! again. The error goes away once I enter data. It's just so tacky looking seeing all these error messages. Please help! =IF(OR(B3="",D3="",B3>D3),"",'Tank Sizes'!$F$15)*(2/98)*F3/D3 You have your closing parenthesis for the IF function right after the "$F$15 reference which means the division by D3 is not controlled by the IF function's testing for D3="". I think moving the parenthesis to the end of the calculation will yield the result you want... =IF(O...

Error reassigning accounts
I am having an issue assigning accounts records to users with a certain role. I have two roles set up, a salesperson and sales manager. If I (sysadmin) or a sales manager tries to assign an account record to a salesperson, we get a permissions error. If I give the salesperson the sales manager role, the record will assign correctly. Does anyone have an idea of what permissions need to be to be able to reassign an account record? The salesperson has basically the same rights to all records, but change, delete and assign rights only to thier own records. Eric, The privileges for assignin...