dvd drive not working

I am having some trouble with my NEC 3550A DVD drive in Windows XP SP3.
The drive is not visible in Explorer and cannot be accessed.  The
Device Manager does show the drive but informs me the driver is missing
or corrupted (Code 39).

I have uninstalled the DVD drive numerous times from the Device Manager
and either rebooted or ran the Add Hardware Device applet.  In each
instance the OS finds the Plug and Play device and installs the device
drivers but informs me that it couldn't do it properly.  I have
replaced the IDE cable and tried out a known good DVD drive as a
replacement but continue to get the same result.  The BIOS recognizes
the drive.

Now I suspected bad generic drivers for the test.  NEC does not provide
drivers but does have updated firmware.  I tried that to no avail.  The
Device Manager shows four driver files as being used by the hardware
device: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, storprop.dll.  I deleted
them all and they were immediately replaced by the service that
protects critical files.  I even replaced them with copies from a
working XP computer.  Fearing a defective Secondary IDE Channel, as a
last attempt I booted from a bootable CD-ROM and it came up fine.

Considering the drive works outside of Windows what else can I do to
troubleshoot and repair this issue?

0
badgolferman

On Nov 19, 10:49=A0pm, "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolfer...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am having some trouble with my NEC 3550A DVD drive in Windows XP SP3.
> The drive is not visible in Explorer and cannot be accessed. =A0The
> Device Manager does show the drive but informs me the driver is missing
> or corrupted (Code 39).
>
> I have uninstalled the DVD drive numerous times from the Device Manager
> and either rebooted or ran the Add Hardware Device applet. =A0In each
> instance the OS finds the Plug and Play device and installs the device
> drivers but informs me that it couldn't do it properly. =A0I have
> replaced the IDE cable and tried out a known good DVD drive as a
> replacement but continue to get the same result. =A0The BIOS recognizes
> the drive.
>
> Now I suspected bad generic drivers for the test. =A0NEC does not provide
> drivers but does have updated firmware. =A0I tried that to no avail. =A0T=
he
> Device Manager shows four driver files as being used by the hardware
> device: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys, storprop.dll. =A0I deleted
> them all and they were immediately replaced by the service that
> protects critical files. =A0I even replaced them with copies from a
> working XP computer. =A0Fearing a defective Secondary IDE Channel, as a
> last attempt I booted from a bootable CD-ROM and it came up fine.
>
> Considering the drive works outside of Windows what else can I do to
> troubleshoot and repair this issue?

Give the XP section of this KB a whirl for Code 39:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
0
Jose
11/20/2009 3:56:25 AM
Jose, 11/19/2009,10:56:25 PM, wrote:

> On Nov 19, 10:49�pm, "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolfer...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I am having some trouble with my NEC 3550A DVD drive in Windows XP
> > SP3.  The drive is not visible in Explorer and cannot be accessed.
> > �The Device Manager does show the drive but informs me the driver
> > is missing or corrupted (Code 39).
> >
> > I have uninstalled the DVD drive numerous times from the Device
> > Manager and either rebooted or ran the Add Hardware Device applet.
> > �In each instance the OS finds the Plug and Play device and
> > installs the device drivers but informs me that it couldn't do it
> > properly. �I have replaced the IDE cable and tried out a known good
> > DVD drive as a replacement but continue to get the same result.
> > �The BIOS recognizes the drive.
> >
> > Now I suspected bad generic drivers for the test. �NEC does not
> > provide drivers but does have updated firmware. �I tried that to no
> > avail. �The Device Manager shows four driver files as being used by
> > the hardware device: cdrom.sys, imapi.sys, redbook.sys,
> > storprop.dll. �I deleted them all and they were immediately
> > replaced by the service that protects critical files. �I even
> > replaced them with copies from a working XP computer. �Fearing a
> > defective Secondary IDE Channel, as a last attempt I booted from a
> > bootable CD-ROM and it came up fine.
> >
> > Considering the drive works outside of Windows what else can I do to
> > troubleshoot and repair this issue?
>
> Give the XP section of this KB a whirl for Code 39:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Thanks for the link.  The manual instructions didn't work but the
automated Mr. FixIt utility fixed it very nicely!

0
badgolferman

Excel menu drop down not working In IE7 or IE8
When i open any excel file in IE, it shows the data and the menu list at the top. But when i click on those Menu list it doe not open. any help would be great. Thank you ...

converting microsoft works database to and access database
is there a way to convert an microsoft works database to an access database? Not completely. You can export the data to some format that Access can recognize (such as .DBF or .CSV) and then import it into Access, but you can't convert anything else. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele "Amanda" <acoldiron@ashe.k12.nc.us> wrote in message news:021e01c35ab6$62579300$a401280a@phx.gbl... > is there a way to convert an microsoft works database to > an access database? ...

Hyperlink does not work
I receive a message in Oulook 2003. It has an hyperlink.=20 So I right click the Hyperkink to Add it to Favorites in=20 Internet Explorer. =A1=A1=A1=A1It does not work at all!!!! Why ? ...

Microsoft Money Has Stopped Working #2
Yesterday I started Money Plus and got a message that there was an update to download and install. I completed that update and got a message that if Money didn't run to properly to restart my computer. I did that and when I try to run Money I get a message that says MICROSOFT MONEY HAS STOPPED WORKING. I tried to use the fix that you sent me back in November of 2007, which pointed me to this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Database http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942485 but it did not work. When I clicked "turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:&...

Drive Label
Hello, I wanted the Label of the given drive. I used the following API. This worked fine for the Local Drives, But for Remote connection I am getting the some label (I think it is from the source m/c). But I need the label on my m/c. eg: createpdf on 'kortsg102709' (J:). I want the label "createpdf on 'kortsg102709'". Is this possible ? if( !GetVolumeInformation(lpszRootPathName,lpszVolName,128,&VolSerial,&CompLen,& SystemFlag, (LPTSTR)lpBack->FileSystem, (DWORD)FILE_SYSTEM_STRING_SI...

CDialog::DoModal() doesn't work the second time
Hi, I have created a MFC dialog based application (using the wizard). it works fine. then I decided to display the same window twice: // the code generated by the wizard CDialogDlg dlg; m_pMainWnd = &dlg; INT_PTR nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); // the code I added nResponse = dlg.DoModal(); // the generated code follows The second time when I invoke DoModal, the window appears for a very short (sub second) time then vanishes. the return code is -1 which means that the window couldnt be created. I tried with a new dialog class: // the code generated by the wizard CDialogDlg dlg; m_pMainWn...

Outlook 2003
I've been looking through the newsgroup and see that many people have problems with rules, but I've been having a hard time finding the solution to mine. I have emails coming in from a specific mail account. I have rules to assign some of those email to specific categories, depending on who the sender is. THEN, I have a rules to move emails from that specific account to a specific folder EXCEPT if assigned to this and that category. And FINALLY I have rules that move emails to specific folders, depending on which category they are assigned to. So the order is: - Assign categories dep...

Send/Receive Commands stop working 02-17-10
I am starting a new thread since I have some additional information on this problem. After I open Windows Mail, the Send and Receive functions will work correctly until the following condition occurs: When I reply to or forward an email message in my Inbox, it goes into the Outbox. If I then store the original email into another folder before I press Send/Receive, neither Send nor Receive will work. The only solution after this happens is to shut down Windows Mail and restart it again. Any thoughts on what might be happening? I do not think it is related to my anti-virus...

Factory pressed dvd movies, ps2, psp, xbox backups for sale !!!
We're offering all the latest factory pressed high quality dvd movies, ps2, psp and xbox silvers with factory printed colour inserts at fantastic prices, whether for personal use or reselling. We're shipping worldwide with various shipping methods. For resellers, please contact us for bulk discounts. For a complete list and prices, please email us at sparco@spankthedonkey.com (Please state the type of list that you want and tell us your location as the prices varies for different locations. If you're reseller, please state the quantity you wish to order per shipment and we'll...

Date minus work days
In A1 i have: 29-May-2010 In A2: 20 (workdays) In A3: 13-May-2010 (holiday) In A4: 24-May-2010 (holiday) I need to find the date of A1 minus number of workdays in A2, considering the holidays in A3:A4. Hans Knudsen "HK" <a@b.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:u7d9eoNqKHA.5480@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > In A1 i have: 29-May-2010 > In A2: 20 (workdays) > In A3: 13-May-2010 (holiday) > In A4: 24-May-2010 (holiday) > > I need to find the date of A1 minus number of workdays in A2, considering > the holidays in A3:A4. > > Hans Knud...

Money 2004
I click on getting started to start e-filing my federal income tax in Money 2004 and it takes me to a webpage on H&R Block's website that says not authorized. What's up with that? ...

Query in code not working
I'm trying to do the following: Set rstQueryData = db.OpenRecordset("Select * from qryAllParticipants" & _ "Where DateRecieved >= #" & Me.txtBegin & "# and <= #" & Me.txtEnd & "#, dbOpenSnapshot") I have of course declared all the required variables. I never know where to put the #'s and the quotes etc. DateRecieved, txtbegin and end of course are date fields. aryAllParticipants has as it's criteria the two text boxes on a form and is an aggregate query with several Group by's and one Sum field. Al...

Cannot work offline
I have created a PST to work on an Exchange Server in Offline mode. When I try to open it offline, I get the error "Cannot open information store". If I change the settings to work only online, I have no problems (assuming I am online). I have set up many other offline folders in the past, but cannot do this now. Any ideas on a solution? ...

Data Validation Not Working
Is there a problem with Data Validation using Defined Names? I created a Defined Name and then used it as a Validation Criteria Formula, but it didn't work. Then I tried troubleshooting the problem by entering the Defined Name's formula instead, and it worked? In the Source box, type an equal sign, then the range name, e.g.: =MonthList There are instructions and examples here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Brett wrote: > Is there a problem with Data Validation using Defined Names? I created a > Defined Name and then used it as a Validation Criteria Formul...

How do Load at Run Time DLL's work?
In the example of dll's loaded at runtime they use LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress. The LoadLibrary works for me, but the GetProcAddress doesn't. Well it did for a short time yesterday for no apparant reason, then it quit and wont work today. Anyway, when it was working, the parameter wasn't passed correctly to the dll function. So how does the compiler know what the parameter list is for the dll function? I don't have an h file included or anything to tell the calling program what the parameters can be. Here some some code from the dll In MEP.h class CMEPApp : public CWinApp...

Table Lookup (Using Hlookup and Match) not Working Right
I have a table from which I would like to extract a value (corresponding to 7) and its not working correctly with my formula. Im looking for some assistance in setting it right. Distance (Col A1) Fare (Col B2) a2=1-5 b2=3.0 a3=6-10 b3=4.5 a4=11-15 b4=6.5 Cell E5 has 7 for distance and I used =HLOOKUP(B1,B1:B4,MATCH(E5,A2:A4,0)+1,FALSE) to find the fare and it does not work. Please kindly help correct me. Thanks, V Try this: ...........A..........B 2........0...........3 3........6...........4.5 4......11...........6.5 E5 = 7 =IF(E5="&...

Calls for a disc in the Drive
I use Money 2000 with windows XP Home. Recently did a clean reinstall. Money seemed to work fine. all of a sudden now when I open Money I get an error message that says "no disc in the drive". If I hit continue (on the error message) the program then opens. Every action I take, (for example, opening an account) gives me the same error message. Again, simply hitting continue moves the program on to the next step. I noted that I can stick any cd in the drive and this problem disappears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks' Don In microsoft.public.money, DonR wro...

cluster drives
hello, can anyone tell me how to find out the list of shared drives and fixed drives (C) on a cluster from command prompt or registry entry? i need to automate a tool for SQL Server to list out only the shared drives for a cluster where I can create databases. thanks. ...

How do I convert works file to excel without works software?
I received a copy of information needed in microsoft works file. Microsoft works is not in my computer and I'd like to open in excel rather than having to manually put data into my system. Under excel help it seems you have to open in works and then save as excel file. Since works is not on my computer, I can't open the file. You need to get a hold of someone who has works and can save it in the correct format or get a commercial converter Regards, Peo Sjoblom "CatMB" wrote: > I received a copy of information needed in microsoft works file. Microsoft > wo...

CRM Exchange Router stop working if I install the auto accept agent for exchange????
Hi, I can't setup my server to run the auto accept agent and the CRM router on the same server!!! If I setup the CRM router, the auto acccept agent stop working, if I install the auto accept agent, the crm router stop working!!!! the CRM router service simply don't start. I'm using the auto accept agent to manage my meeting room usage. any idea??? there is some conflicts? if yes, there is a solution? thanks. Jerome. ...

Experian Link not working
The Sign Up link for the Free Credit Report does not work. I click and click but nothing happens. Anything I can do for this? ...

Question about Word/Works
Is the Word in Microsoft Works Windows 7 the same as Word 2002, though slightly updated? Why does the interface look so different? It almost resembles more of a cartoon of Word 2002. There's a flatness to its appearance, and I don't like the flap off to the right. I want everything in a streamlined window as in Word 2002. Wrong Group! This group is about Word for the Macintosh... However, I suspect what you are seeing is "Word 2007". Microsoft Works usually contains the current version of Word, in this case, 2007. In which case: Welcome to the new worl...

VLOOKUP not working with data from PeopleSoft
I have data which has come from PeopleSoft. One file is a list of current employees (about 4,500 rows) including a unique ID and I am looking up their date of birth in another file which is list of all employees, past and present (just over 7,000 rows). For some reason the vlookup is not returning any data and is just showing the formula in the cell. I feel the problem is something in the format of the data coming from PeopleSoft but can't think of anything else to try. I use vlookup heaps so don't think there is anything wrong with the formula. I have checked that...

Autofiltering not working in certain columns
I have a spreadsheet with 15 columns and 130 rows. The autofilter drop list arrows work fine in some columns and in other columns they refuse to function. In the latter columns when youclick on a drop list arrow it just blinks, no list falls down. I have been unable to find any common reason why the autofilter list won' t appear in these columns. I am using Excel 2001 for Macintosh. Thank you for any help someone can provide. ...

Problem with more than two USB flash drive devices
Givens: WinCE 5.0, with QFEs up through May 2009. PXA270 processor (ARMV4I) Our platform has issues when connecting more than two USB flash drive devices. Using an externally powered USB 2.0 HUB, we can connect two USB flash drive devices just fine. When we add a third USB flash drive device, the "Unidentified USB Device" dialog is displayed. As we add USB flash drive devices, they get mounted as "USB Drive" for the first device, and "USB Drive2" for the second device. We have tested this with multiple brands of externally powered USB 2.0...