Data Execution prevention

I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I download.  the
message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention.  So I changed the
settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs that I select (and
included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to turn DEP off.).  Hasn't made a
difference, despite restart after restart no change.  Windows is up to date,
Adobe is up to date, have firewall cannot think of any other items to check.
The error message is always the error re DEP.  Any suggestions?

On Mar 17, 3:59=A0am, suek <s...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I download. =
=A0the
> message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention. =A0So I changed the
> settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs that I select (and
> included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to turn DEP off.). =A0Hasn't =
made a
> difference, despite restart after restart no change. =A0Windows is up to =
date,
> Adobe is up to date, have firewall cannot think of any other items to che=
ck. =A0
> The error message is always the error re DEP. =A0Any suggestions?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) messages mean that Windows feels
threatened by some program running on your computer, so it shuts it
down.  This is actually a good thing since Windows recognizes the
threat and is trying to prevent further damage.

You could tell Windows that the program is okay by making an exception
for the program, but this is generally not a good idea.  You have not
fixed the underlying problem and have made your computer vulnerable to
attack by choosing to ignore the threat.  This is not how to use the
DEP feature.

DEP errors frequently happen in Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer
and they can be fixed without yielding to the first temptation which
is to create an exception.  That is not fixing the problem.

Do you see it in IE (what is the IE version) or Windows Explorer?

Has it ever worked?

Is it all PDF files or just ones from a particular site and if it is
not an intrusion of your privacy, tell us the site and document and
somebody else can try it.

Can you print the same document from another computer?

If you can post the exact message you see, we will not have to guess
about things.

I don't know what you mean by "up to date" but we will know about your
Windows when you do the following.

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional
information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The current Adobe Reader version is 9.3.1

If you only see this problem when printing PDF files you download,
either the files are suspicious or your Adobe is suspicious.  It is
easy to uninstall Adobe from Add/Remove Programs and reinstall the
9.3.1 version.

Anything you download from the Internet can be a threat to your
system.  Be sure you have a reliable source, email yourself a PDF file
that you know is safe and prints okay on another computer, etc. and
try to print it.  Is it only the files you download from a particular
site or all PDF files?

I would not tamper with the DEP settings on your computer for
something as simple as printing a PDF file that works all over the
world without adding a DEP exception - that is not the way to use the
DEP feature.  XP feels threatened.

0
Jose
3/17/2010 11:16:22 AM
suek wrote:
> I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I
> download.  the message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention.
> So I changed the settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs
> that I select (and included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to
> turn DEP off.).  Hasn't made a difference, despite restart after
> restart no change.  Windows is up to date, Adobe is up to date, have
> firewall cannot think of any other items to check. The error message
> is always the error re DEP.  Any suggestions?

Easy fix:
1. Ditch Adobe Reader, then
2. Install Foxit Reader.

Foxit is faster, has a smaller footprint, also free, and doesn't call the
mother ship for instructions.

0
HeyBub
3/17/2010 2:21:13 PM
Save the PDF file to your HDD then open it in Adobe Reader to print it
(instead of accessing the PDF file in IE).

suek wrote:
> I have a huge problem. I am not able to print any PDF that I download.
> the
> message I am getting is re Data Execution prevention.  So I changed the
> settings so I "Turn on DEP except for thos programs that I select (and
> included Adobe Acrobat in the list to check to turn DEP off.).  Hasn't
> made
> a difference, despite restart after restart no change.  Windows is up to
> date, Adobe is up to date, have firewall cannot think of any other items
> check. The error message is always the error re DEP.  Any suggestions?

0
PA
3/17/2010 7:11:29 PM
Were you able to find a resolve for this problem? It seems to happen
intermittently for me as well. I suspect the culprit is part of the fighting
between Acrobat and Canon (we have the imageRunner 110, 7110, and 7138 which
use the same driver). I can select the driver when printing a pdf, but when I
try to access the printer properties to make changes, XP bombs and pulls up
the DEP window. I've tried everything under the sun to make it work. It's
killing me!

WM_QUERYENDSESSION and saving data through a worker thread
Hello I have an application that uses a worker thread to save/load data. I'm wondering what is the best reaction to WM_QUERYENDSESSION in my case. I have to possible scenarios: 1. When WM_QUERYENDSESSION comes fire the thread and wait for it to end. Only then return TRUE from WM_QUERYENDSESSION handler. The problem is that I will get nusty dialog that my application "is not responding". 2. When WM_QUERYENDSESSION comes fire the thread and return FALSE from the handler. When thread is done force application to end. But this way I will probably prevent Windows from closing,...

Copying data from one chart to another

How do I import data from lotus123 & maintain formulas/worksheets
I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintain my formulas and the individual tabs (worksheets). hi, if the lotus file is a wks version or earlier, xl should open it and let you save it as an xl file. if the lotus file is a 123 version or higher, you can open the file in lotus and save it as an xl file. if you don't have lotus, find someone who does. "Ineluctable" wrote: > I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into > Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintai...

Determine number of rows with data

Preventing changes in the Options
Hello, Is there a way in Excel to prevent users from making any changes in the Options (ie protect or disable the Options Dialog box). Thanks in advance, brgds, Chantal ...

Add data to cell w/o loosing initial data
I would like to know if there is a way to add data to data without retyping. For example I have a colum of 18015555555 and I want to add [rfax:(cell #)@/fn=(phone number)] So I would like to add the brackets - copy from a cell - @/fn= and not loose the data already in the spread sheet. Example 2. Add [rfax:company name@fn/=(saved data here) then close bracket. So I want to add data to cells without loosing the data already in the cells. I have about 600 of them to do and I really don't want to do each one by hand. Please let me know if anyone knows how to accomplish this. Tha...

Removing filters from data
Hi. I have recorded a macro to remove filters from data lasts in advance of performing other actions. However if the data is unfiltered the macro falls over with the message Run time error '1004' ShowAllData method of Worksheet class failed. I think I need some sort of if error continue code or something to check filtering first. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please. Hi Philip Try If Activesheet.Filtermode Then ActiveSheet.ShowAllData -- Jacob "Philip J Smith" wrote: > Hi. > > I have re...

Looking up and matching data
I have two sets of data with the same information but not in the same order and am trying to match the data. In each data set I have 10 pools containing 100 loans. Each pool has a unique ID and each loan within the applicable pool has an ID of 1 to 100. I need to look up the Pool ID, then look up the loan ID so that I can extract the property type information from a third column. The Pool ID and property type is text but the loan ID is a number. I am struggling to put together the right combination of formulas to give the property type for each loan within each pool. Any suggestion...

invisible listbox data
I have developed software in Acces XP that is distributed to two different locations and I have noticed some odd behaviour at one of the locations. Sometimes the data in listboxes or combo boxes is invisible. The data IS PRESENT because you can select and use the records as before (although you can't see which ones you're selecting). The combo boxes are poplulated and have the correct dropdown length for the records one would expect. The listboxes have scroll bars where one would expect a scrollbar and multiselcetion is possible where apropriate. I have played around with th...

create a letter with the data fron work sheet
i have a data sheet for the order.like people order staff lik tea,coffee...etc,i ve data including date,name,department,.....etc. when i put the data i want a letter format which picks up the data fro the sheet then i can send it to the person who made the order as confirmatino letter. like it the letter starts dear "......"(it could pick the name fro c1) also how can i create this letter? does it have to be in excel ?? help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com As answered in microsoft.public.excel and microsoft.public....

excel 2007
I have data that looks something like this account#, invoice amount 1, 50 1, 70 1, 80 2, 10 2, 50 2, 52 2, 50 3, 10 4, 30 I need a way to combine all the invoice totals for each account so I have results like this 1, 200 2, 162 3, 10 4, 30 Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I thought I had done something similar to this with filters before in Excel 2003, but I can't figure out how I did it. Thanks! You can use subtotal or a pivot table in the pivot put the account numbers in the row field and the invoice amount in the data, in subtotal use at each change in account numb...

Moving certain data to different sheet
I need to move data that meets a certain criteria, to another sheet within a workbook. For instance, if a column of data is for a certain ZIP code area, I need it to automatically copy to a sheet for that city. Say, 40202 would go to the Louisville, KY sheet. Because Louisville has multiple ZIPs, I would need only the data that begins with 402 to go to that sheet. Lexington KY's data, which begins with ZIP code 405, would go to its own sheet. Macro? Formula? Thanks! This can definitely not be created with a formula. I suggest that you make use of the macros. Rgrds, Kris...

Prevent copy and paste in one column
I am having trouble trying to prevent copying and pasting in one specific column. The code refers to the specific range, but yet it prevents copying and pasting on the whole worksheet. Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("H:H")) Is Nothing Then Application.CellDragAndDrop = False Application.CutCopyMode = False Else Application.CellDragAndDrop = True End If End Sub Works for me in Excel 2003 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:42:01...

How to prevent line breaks in XML file?
I am creating XML from SQL2000 using a vb.net page, then posting it to a remote server as a string. The remote server requires that the xml contain no line breaks, but there are some ntext fields in the database that contain long text with line breaks. How do I get rid of the line breaks? Can I do this with the XmlTextWriter, or do I need to handle each affected field seperately before handing it to the XmlTextWriter? Thanks Leslie les wrote: > How do I get rid of the line breaks? Can I do this with the > XmlTextWriter, or do I need to handle each affected field seperately > bef...

Copying of non-consecutive, columnar data into consecutive-columnar cells
Hi: I have data located at a1:a9, then a:10 is blank; then, I have 9 more lines of data from a11:a19, and a20 is blank... a1, a11, a21...are all the texts/numbers that I want printed on a different page. But here's the catch: I'd like to print it at locations a1, a2, a3... Specifically, the data that I have appears like this on THIS IS ON SHEET 1: A1: prefix: Mr A2: emailAddress: john.smith@1.com A3: firstName: John A4: lastName: Smith A5: company: ABC Company A6: A7: prefix: Mrs A8: emailAddress: kim.davids@2.com A9: firstName: Kim A10: lastName: Davids A11: company: X...

Export Data from MS-CRM
Is there a way to export all of the data from MS-CRM? Thats a rather general question,......you mean export to another CRM system or just export into another medium? For the most part, most areas have that little excel icon so that you can export into excel...... or you can go into the SQL server and use the export wizard, although I don't think its going to be what you want,....for the most part it will be raw data and you'll have to recreate the relationships and primary fields to see how the objects relate.......... -Gary "John O'Keefe" <jokeefe@finepoint.com...

repaired ext hd
I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on another pc - nogo. So.... I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said: A. Media evaluation results overview * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data. The file system has been repaired to point to the file data. Can anyone tell me what that means? Is there a way i could "repoint" to data? Thanks. patti On May 5, 7:20=A0pm, patti <pa...@discussions.m...

What are the different methods of representing numerical data?
Can someone answer my questions "What are the different methods of representing numerical data"? "Excel Problem" wrote: > Can someone answer my questions "What are the > different methods of representing numerical data"? Sounds like a test question. What's the context? Is it asking about numerical formats? Or is it asking about date v. time v. other numerical data? (Which really is not "different methods" per se. All are floating-point aka real numbers. But the test might be asking for the specifics of date and time rep...

How to prevent users sending mail on Internet ?
Hello all, Do you know how to prevent certain users (NOT all users) to sending mail on Internet ? I am using Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2000 clients Thank you in advance, Denis PS : french translation of this message is also posted on this group you could try permissions on the default server object. Not tried this though. Just had a play with my exchange setup. If your using Connectors, you can set who can access through it. Under delivery restrictions select who can access the net through this connector. Then reject all others. If the address space on this connector is set to * ...

Check if data has already been formatted.
Hello, I have a sub() as part of a larger set of macros. This particular sub() will take the raw data pulled from an in-house reporting system and format it to suit our needs (adding a couple of columns with formulas to facilitate pivot table creation). This is the code as I have it so far: Sub FormatData() Application.ScreenUpdating = False ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False ' Declarations Dim DataWks As Worksheet Dim LastRow As Long Dim LastCol As Long ' Set the DataWks variable Set DataWks = Worksheets("Data") ...