customizing folders with desktop.ini

I was trying to change the background image of a particular folder as
described at <http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/10/16/folder-
background-images-in-winxp/>, however, I am unable to do so.  The URL
discusses a file - desktop.ini.  I was under the impression that this
file would be hidden while "Hide protected operating system files
(Recommended)" was checked but that does not appear to be the case for
me - I can see it regardless of whether or not that setting is
selected.

"%HOME%\My Documents\My Pictures" has a desktop.ini file that doesn't
appear when "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is
selected. If I copy that file to another folder of my own creation,
however, it appears regardless of "Hide protected operating system
files (Recommended)".  Also, the folders appearance isn't changing as
I would have expected it to.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
0
yawnmoth

On Dec 14, 2:51=A0pm, yawnmoth <terra1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was trying to change the background image of a particular folder as
> described at <http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/10/16/folder-
> background-images-in-winxp/>, however, I am unable to do so. =A0The URL
> discusses a file - desktop.ini. =A0I was under the impression that this
> file would be hidden while "Hide protected operating system files
> (Recommended)" was checked but that does not appear to be the case for
> me - I can see it regardless of whether or not that setting is
> selected.
>
> "%HOME%\My Documents\My Pictures" has a desktop.ini file that doesn't
> appear when "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is
> selected. If I copy that file to another folder of my own creation,
> however, it appears regardless of "Hide protected operating system
> files (Recommended)". =A0Also, the folders appearance isn't changing as
> I would have expected it to.
>
> Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Actually, never mind - I figured it out - I needed to do "attrib +s"
on the folder in question, per this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144102%28VS.85%29.aspx
0
yawnmoth

Folder Permission to a group
Is it possible to give a distribution group permission to the Calendar folder or do I have to use a global or universal group? I always get "The modified permissions could not be saved. The client operation failed." I'm using Outlook 2002 - Exchange 2000. Are you trying to grant permissions for your personal caledar or a public calendar? If personal, do you know if your account is configured for client delivery/storage or is it maintained on the Exchange server? >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to give a distribution group permission to >the Calenda...

Oultook 07 leaves email in drafts folder even after sending
Hi, my outlook recently started to save drafts of messages in my drafts folder and leave them there even after sending the messages. I've tried all of the save message in drafts folder settings but nothing works... Any ideas? Thanks, Kristan ...

Customization Guide #8
Hi Alwani! can you send me the customization guide? email is lee_dongchan@hotmail.com thanks in advance! ...

Deleting Custom Fields created in SQL Schema
Hi, I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in SQL Schemas. Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or CRM 5.0 or how or when can this be done. Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped". Also, what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add? Thanks! Shauna I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not. Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit of CRM...

Custom XML nodes in eConnect
Hi, I have seen samples of custom XML nodes in the eConnect help file eConnect8.0.chm. Has anyone seen code samples that show how to get the node into the struct. If you type 'eConnect business logic, extending' in the index textbox in the chm file you will get a page titled 'Extendign Business Logic'. If you click the link 'XML document' you will be presented with a page containing the following XML. <eConnect xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes"> <RMCustomerMasterType> <eConnectProcessInfo> <e...

No Permissions Tab in Public Folders
We are rrunning exchange 2003 in a mixed AD mode. Somehow we lost the permissions tab on the public folders. It was there at one time but now it is gone. I have added my user in the Public folder security settings in Systems Manager with full control but still no option in outlook to set permissions. Can anyone help? ...

customizing keys
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I customize a key, i.e. can I assign to a certain key (eg. one of the function keys) the task to type a specific letter (font, size, bold or not) so that I can insert that specific letter in a document while I am working, without changing the font, type the letter, changing the font back etc. You need to look three topics up in the Word Help: "Have Word complete your typing" "Customize your applications by using accessibility features" "Customize toolbars and menus"...

Quick way to remove grouping from view of all folders
Hello group: Is there an especially fast way of getting Outlook 2003 to realize that I don't want it to group the messages in my mail folders. (Default grouping is by date). When I define views and modify the "Messages" view to exclude grouping, it doesn't do any good until I've gone to each of my many folders and repeat the process. It's like Outlook doesn't realize I've modified the default view. Any help here would be appreciated - even a script if necessary. Thanks a bunch, Donovan P.S. No, grouping is not the same as sorting :) ...

Custom dictionary problems
Whenever I spell check an email, it tells me there is no custom dictionary and asks if I want to create one. Selecting Yes, gives an error that states and error occured while trying to create the custom dictionary. Anyone have a solution? Thanks, Jim Hi James, if the spellchecker wont work you have to look in Word options! -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "James" <jamesl70@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns950CACF995074jamesl70hotmailcom@207.46.248...

how to import a contact folder to a new device?
I need to find out how to import my contact folder (from a nokia n73) to a htc touch! Then I would ask the manufacturers of your cell phones. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Drew asked: | I need to find out how to import my contact folder (from a nokia n73) | to a htc touch! How about syncing the NOkia with Outlook, possibly setting up a special contacts folder if you want only a subset, and then syncing ht Touch with that same folder. NOkia gives you its own software adn the Touch uses A...

Public Folder, "Send As"
Hi Guys, Running Exchange 2003, Have setup a public folder office@mydomain.com. All OK, users can view emails, and delete them. Using Exchange System Manager, i have given a couple users the "Send As" Permission under Directory Rights, however when the user tries to send an email with "office@mydomain.com", they get 'You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object'. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! Trav. Permission changes arent always immediate. But assuming you have waited a few hours and have it set up correctl...

SBS 2003 redirected profiles & home folders, swapping computer question
I've got an SBS 2003 server with a few connected workstations. If I remember correctly when I set it up I did redirected profiles and home folders to have them housed on the server. I've got a user who's computer is going to be replaced. Is there anything special I need to do? the windows machines are XP SP3. Do I need to do one of those deals where I point to a URL? "connectcomputer"? Will the users desktop settings be preserved? It's not a huge deal but anything I can preserve because I did the remote profiles would be a plus. I'm thinking I wil...

MAPI Public Folder Tree
There can only be one as I have learnt but what I want to do is move/delete it to a different storage group. When I try to delete it this is what I get: -------------------------- This public folder store is the last store holding the MAPI Public Folder Tree and cannot be deleted. ID no: c1034a7e Exchange System Manager -------------------------- The supported way is to create one on another server and replicate to it. Point your mailboxes stores over there and then delete the one here and recreate. Is it really worth all that? I could tell you how to hack it but thats really not support...

Desktop icons changing with IE7
I seem to have messed up my computer. I've just now installed IE7 and ran into the problem of my self-made desktop icons for websites being replaced by the general IE symbol. I read some old posts and think I've learned how to fix that, but in the meantime I took one suggestion of resetting my desktop appearance special effects to NOT use large icons and then resetting it again to USE large icons. That was a mistake. Now I can't seem to change the desktop icons which refer to websites on the web: I select the one I want from my special icon folder and click OK and then a...

Creating a custom Contacts Tab
I am looking for a tutorial on creating and implementing a custom tab for the contacts entry. I have seen other organizations have an additional tab which opens a new "page" to enter custom contact information. I need to be able to share this new ??form?? with a select group of other users on our WAN/LAN. Can someone point me toward a resource? Thanks Rikk You can start here: http://www.slipstick.com/dev/forms.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be ...

Excel 2007 & Custom Number Format Limitations?
I'm used to getting those error messages in Excel about too many custom number formats and I was wondering if this is still the case with Excel 2007 as I'm planning to migrate soon. Thanks. Funny you should ask that as I just read the message from Venkat timestamped 2 hours later than yours. The limit to unique cell formats was increased a lot in Excel 2007 and, absent his message, I'd have said case closed. But VerKat said he had a workbook with that problem in Excel 2003 that when opened in Excel 2007 lost all its cell formats. Go figure. I have both versions and I...

Cannot Rebuild Public Folders
We had a recent meltdown with our Exchange Server and found out later that the people who originally set up the server and the tape backup hadn't invested in the proper add-on for the backup software that would have backed up the Exchange system. Neither the private or the public stores would mount, even after repairing the stores. Well, we've already accepted the loss of the existing data and we were able to create a Second Storage Group and recreate the user mailboxes in it. Everything is working great with the mailboxes again. Our only issue now is the Public Folder store. Tryi...

Problems unzipping folders with photos
Help! I'm receivingattachments in my Outlook email program with our new grandbaby pictures, but the folders are zipped. I tried extracting also. When I double click on the folders to open them, there is nothing inside. Can someone help me. southern belle <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Help! I'm receivingattachments in my Outlook email program with our > new grandbaby pictures, but the folders are zipped. I tried > extracting also. What happened when you saved the Zip file to a folder and then tried to open it? What version of Windows are you using? ...

Delete old msgs in public folders
Does anyone know the way to delete old msgs in a public folder? I want to automatic 'clean' msgs one month ago. We're running Exchange 2003 SP2. Thanks in advance. Pablo. Just set an age limit on the folder of, say, 30 days. Anything older than 30 days will be removed automatically. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "Pablo" <Pablo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7328302-D4AE-45DF-B346-4CD554E03540@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know the way to delete old msgs in a public folder? I want to > automat...

Audit Folder Permissions Question
Hi, I found this script at the PowerShell Code Repository: # <---------- Begin Script -------------------------------------------- > $Excel = New-Object -Com Excel.Application $Excel.visible = $True $Excel = $Excel.Workbooks.Add() $wSheet = $Excel.Worksheets.Item(1) $wSheet.Cells.item(1,1) = "Folder Path:" $wSheet.Cells.Item(1,2) = "Users/Groups:" $wSheet.Cells.Item(1,3) = "Permissions:" $wSheet.Cells.Item(1,4) = "Permissions Inherited:" $WorkBook = $wSheet.UsedRange $WorkBook.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 $WorkBook.Font.ColorIndex...

Custom Contacts Find View
Hi experts! I would like to know if I can create a custom view to find filtered contacts... I have create a new entity related to contacts and when the user click on the look up should appear only some contacts that are related to a specify account. Is there any way to do this??? Thanks and regards!! Pablo -- Pablo Gómez Hi Pablo, You can do it. Try to learn from following URL; http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2006/12/filter-data-in-crm-lookup-field.html You may contact me directly at my email address if you need any help in this regard. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No butt...

adding a custom activity to CRM 3.0 schema
Hello, I would like to add a custom activity (Contact Us Form Submission) to the CRM schema. My hopes are that it will show up like any other activity in the CRM, including being listed in the history when viewing a contact. We want to integrate our website contact us form to automatically submit the form results into the CRM. I played around a bit with adding a custom entity, but I could not get it to be recognized as a new type of activity. I also looked at extending the Activity schema as it has an Activity Type attribute that is a list of the activity types that I would like thi...

Restore of custom fields Proj Server 2007
Hi everyone, In our environment we have about 20 custom fields. I tried rebuilding the reporting db by performing a backup/restore of these custom fields. The backup jobs went ok, three restore jobs were also ok, but the "Reporting Database Refresh" job is in status "Waiting to be Processed (Sleeping)" for 3 hours now. This job is in queue position 2. Isn't this quite a long time for this job to be sleeping? As I read that I shouldn't do anyhting to a sleeping job - I haven't but still I wonder if there is anything I can do make the job execute ...

Activate Customize Keyboard Buttons
I am trying to modify the Shortcuts menu line but the buttons ASSIGN and REMOVE and RESET ALL... are not activated for me in the Customize Keyboard pop-up screen. How do I activate these buttons? I have followed all the instructions on how to modify the Shortcuts but these buttons remain grayed out and inactive. -- Donna ...

outlook 2003 does not show option to create personal folder
I am trying to set up my personal folder in Outlook 2003 but when I select the "Data Files" button and then click "Add", my only option is Business Contact Manager Database". I checked my installation and it looks like all the Outlook components are installed. Which mail account type are you using? Is your machine part of a corporate network? If so, it could be that you network admin has disabled this option for you. If this is not the case, do a repair on your Office installation and try again. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configur...