CD/DVD RW drive not found

My CD/DVD RW cannot be found - ONLY - when my computer is connected to the
Broadband modem.  When I try to boot up, the bios window comes up and says:
"Secondary drive 0 not found.  Strike F1 to continue.  Strike F2 to run the
set up utility."  If I use the F1 option, the boot up will continue but takes
forever and when it finally is booted up, the CD/DVD drive does not show up
and does not work.

However, if I unplug the modem from the computer before I boot up, it does
just fine and the CD/DVD drive shows up and works just fine.  So strange.

Any ideas anyone?

"Magsmom" <Magsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My CD/DVD RW cannot be found - ONLY - when my computer is connected to the
> Broadband modem.  When I try to boot up, the bios window comes up and
> says:
> "Secondary drive 0 not found.  Strike F1 to continue.  Strike F2 to run
> the
> set up utility."  If I use the F1 option, the boot up will continue but
> takes
> forever and when it finally is booted up, the CD/DVD drive does not show
> up
> and does not work.
>
> However, if I unplug the modem from the computer before I boot up, it does
> just fine and the CD/DVD drive shows up and works just fine.  So strange.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Seeing that the problem occurs *before* Windows even starts, this is not a
Windows problem. I suggest you repost it in a hardware newsgroup.

0
Pegasus
11/30/2009 7:04:54 PM
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:02:02 -0800, Magsmom
<Magsmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My CD/DVD RW cannot be found - ONLY - when my computer is connected to the
>Broadband modem.  When I try to boot up, the bios window comes up and says:
>"Secondary drive 0 not found.  Strike F1 to continue.  Strike F2 to run the
>set up utility."  If I use the F1 option, the boot up will continue but takes
>forever and when it finally is booted up, the CD/DVD drive does not show up
>and does not work.
>
>However, if I unplug the modem from the computer before I boot up, it does
>just fine and the CD/DVD drive shows up and works just fine.  So strange.
>
>Any ideas anyone?

Has this started suddenly , or since the modem was installed ?
0
Jim

How to correct saving excel file on portable flash drive?
Have been saving an excel file on a portable flash drive for some time now. Now receiving the message ...unable to create file or directory. I am still able to save other files to my flash drive so that can not be the problem. Also no problem saving the file in my documents on c: drive. Hi one should NEVER save an excel file directly to a removeable storage system. This could just create corrupted Excel files. Are you able to open the file after saved to the harddisc? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jonathangbs wrote: > Have been saving an excel file on a portable flash...

Cannot boot to DVD drive
I would like to re-install Windows. I put the Windows system disk in my CD/DVD drive and restart Windows. A prompt comes up saying "Press any key to boot to CD." I press a key, several keys, and watch as Windows boots normally from the hard disk. I have set the first boot device in my BIOS to be the CDROM drive. Why is this happening? -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - On 04 Jul 2010 17:34:57 GMT, Clydesdale (email@email.net) wrote: > I w...

Outlook on flash drive possible??
Would like to install Outlook (from Office XP) on a 4 gig flash drive in order that it is transportable from my office computer to my office in the home computer. Is this possible? I tried it but get the following error message when I try to start Outlook from the flash drive: Map132.dll is missing or the wrong version. Please reinstall Outlook again. I reinstalled again, with the same result. Hints/opinions??? TIA. Sorry to report this, but it can't be done to how the program registers itself with the Windows operating system. Can you get away with just keeping a PST file...

Adding an extra drive to an existing DPM RAID 5 set
We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and I need to add an extra disk. If I add the drive to the existing array will DPM detect the extra drive space automatically or if I rescan the drives? What is the recommended method of doing this? There would be more space, but as far as DPM is concerned it is still using one virtual disk. Thanks... On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:52:27 -0800 (PST), Phillip Wendell <phillipwendell@yahoo.com> wrote: >We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and >I need to add an extra disk. If I ad...

What's causing hard drive activity even when my computer is idle?
Is there a way in XP to tell what Windows is doing at a particular moment? Sometimes I am on the internet and the hard drive light will begin to work furiously, and I wonder that AVG might be downloading virus updates. And the hard drive light sometime also begins working when I am offline and doing nothing. I downloaded a Microsoft update for an XP task bar search feature maybe a year ago, and I've wondered if that was when this activity began. Is there a way to know what might be happening in Windows or in something else when this commotion starts? Larry S...

Reformatting hard drive and want to save messages
I need to reformat my hard drive and want to save my outlook messages to an external drive somehow so I can get them back afterwards. I can't figure out from the help how to do this, and any assistance will be much appreciated. I'm using Outlook 2002, XPPro with SP3. (Also posting this on microsoft.public.outlook.general) Maggie Answered here daily. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick...

re-installing Publisher on a new hard drive- is that ok?
My original hard drive is malfunctioning. The Geek Squad will reinstall a new hard drive (warranty) on March 23, 2009. I installed Publisher 2007 after I bought the PC. Will there be a problem re-installing my Publisher software onto the new hard drive? There shouldn't be any problem as long as you have the ProductKey. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB526BF-664E-4AFF-94BC-8BF0D38F7366@microsoft.com... > My original hard drive is malfunctioning. The Geek Squad will reinstall a > new > ...

won't recognize two different cd's
I am trying to rip two differentcd's, the media player insists they are the same and copies one over the other. What do I do? "Pat" wrote: > I am trying to rip two differentcd's, the media player insists they are the > same and copies one over the other. What do I do? If you purchased the CDs or have them on their originally produced discs, you shouldn't have a problem. If they were burned to CD from another device, try changing the 'quality' settings under the rip menu to the highest setting. They might be on low quality CD's that ...

JUMP DRIVES
Why do I get the message, "The directory or file cannot be created" sometimes. Most of the time the save as works, but other times I get this message. hi, not sure. sounds like an OS problem. when you plug in a jump drive, it shows up as another drive like the a drive, c drive d drive. so the OS seems to be having problems recognizing the new device. that could also be getting into IRQs. You need a PC repair geek, we are all excel prog geeks. >-----Original Message----- >Why do I get the message, "The directory or file cannot >be created" sometimes. Mos...

Magical M:\ drive
Hi all, Maybe you can help me with this one? I have published the 'm:\' drive via FTP, so one of my linux boxes can pull mails for spamassassin learning by retreiving mails via FTP from a public folder. The FTP access is locked down via IP. The linux box (with interactive mode off!) mget's * then mdele's *, however, the mails 'stick' in the public folder for extended periods - which is rather annoying!! Does anyone know why this happens? Is there are configurable 'synch' interval between the m:\ drive and the actual exchange db? Any tips appreciated! Stuar...

Identify Outlook File to Burn CD
Any Help would be appreciated. I'm trying to burn a CD-Rom to back up my Outlook '97. However the problem is I can't identify the file to do this when I scan through all of my files. All I can find is Outlook Express which I don't use. What would the file name be specificly? Thanks in advance, Dave try looking for a file *.PST its location depends on the OS -- obsidian "Dave" <davec4110@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:0aaf01c362f7$daf8abc0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Any Help would be appreciated. > > I'm trying to burn a CD-Rom to ba...

copy files to cd
running windows xp in office environment How to i copy emails in inbox and sent emails from sent file to cd to save them?? tp <tp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > running windows xp in office environment How to i copy emails in > inbox and sent emails from sent file to cd to save them?? http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Task Scheduler or VBA to simple copy periodically folders contents to external drive
I need to copy periodically all files (without any other data manipulation) from folders W, X, Y on Drive C to folder Z on Drive D. Any existing files would ge ovewritten without prompting. Is it more convenient to process this through Windows Task Scheduler or through VBA ? Help appreciated, J.P. If you need to work only with files, not subfolders, you can use code like the following: Sub AAA() Dim FromFolders As Variant Dim ToFolder As String Dim N As Long Dim FName As String FromFolders = Array("C:\Test", "C:\Test2") ToFo...

Just wondering whether anyone had found a workaround for Conexant drivers yet?
Is there a newer version of the Conexant_Audio_6.14.10.0565 driver which works yet? (II am using XP home). Sound worked until I installed some Windows Update a year or more ago. I have a dreaded Gateway MX6025 and after a certain time every WindowsUpdate which I checked reports as a side effect that 'this update will screw up Conexant drivers and your sound wont work' After that every update I have tried to the Conexant or AC97 driver has failed to cure this WindowsUpdate issue. Gateway is disinterested in assisting with a driver which a Windows Update has screwed up: Doe...

Server cannot be found..
Hello, Today one of our workstations can not find our mail server. He gets the message "The pop3 server name you specified cannot be found" It worked everyday before and works on the other 60 workstations we have. We are using outlook 2000. I have deleted and reentered his profile with a different name. Strange thing is the same computer cannot find this mail server or any other in Outlook OR outlook express. Please help!!! Tim Lewis wrote: > Hello, > > Today one of our workstations can not find our mail server. He gets > the message "The pop3 server name ...

subform not found on mainform
Hi, I have an unbound form “frmMainForm”in which I have a bound subform “frmSubForm”. I have a string strSQL which I use for the recordsource of “frmSubForm” : Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL) I do not seem to be able to execute this command : When I’m in the code of the main form, I have this line : Me![frmSubForm].Form.RecordSource = strSQL I get error 2465 : Access does not find frmSubForm. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, W Hi, try it like this Private sub MyRoutine() Dim strSQL as String strSQL = "code or name of the query here" Me![Name o...

Copy Object = File Not Found Error
I'm working in XP and and developed a Database in Access 97. There was a push to upgrade. Now we're using Access 2003 and we converted the database to Access 2000. The new problem: I had developed some code to look for a Report by name and if it was not found, simply copy a specific Report and name it accordingly. This all worked fine in 97. In the new setup I receive an Microsoft Visual Basic error: File not found (Error 53). The path in the error message points to a temp folder and file called VBCxx.TMP. the x's change each time. If I go to that folder before I ex...

Send Report to Hard Drive
Hi, I need your help. I create a report with picture and send it to HTML. I open the report like "report1.html" but I got the detailed information without a picture in it. I'm wondering .... Is there a possible way to send a report to become "report1.jpg"? I know if I send the report using Access Snapviewer and it works. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks Everyone please note that Aaron Kem.pf is attempting to impersonate one of our regular posters again. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBui...

Microsoft ODBC Drive Manager: Data Source Name not found and No Default Driver Specified
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C831F9.1F940070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've been meaning to ask this question for years (literally). In the Excel reports that I create for others in the company, I almost = exclusively use external data via MS Query from SQL databases. I always = use a system ODBC connection created not within Excel, but within the = ODBC administrator. In many cases I'll use the SA login and password = for the connection and in some cases, I'...

Search Key Was Not Found
I want to create the keys/IDs so as to be manually inserted or specially calculated in my records. However, I am receiving the message "Search Key Was Not Found" while loading a linked/child form. Any suggestion? -- Thanx in advance, Best Regards, Faraz That error usually has two causes. 1. In Access 2000, there was a bug. Here's some info: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/301474 2. Your database is corrupt. At times like this, nothing beats a good backup. In fact make a complete backup of your database now and put it away for safe keeping....

Files No Show on CD-RW Drive D:
I have an MS-Dos boot RW-CD with Dos Utilities in folders and files, which boots and works fine in drive D:.... Nero StartSmart shows D: Track 01: 0:0200 57:16.18 (504MB), Data... Why won't WinXPpro show the files and folders on drive D:, instead of just a blank white screen ???? "Willard" <guess@msn.invalid> wrote in message news:uZieoNK4KHA.5416@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I have an MS-Dos boot RW-CD with Dos Utilities in folders and files, which > boots and works fine in drive D:.... > > Nero StartSmart shows D: Track 01: 0:0200 57:16...

How do I set up newsgroups when the news icon can't be found?
I had initially set up newsgroups without any difficulty, but now they are gone in Outlook. I reinstalled Outlook when I could not find the news tab to drag it to the Go column as the instructions indicate. How can I find it? I am running WindowsXP Home Edition and Outlook 2003. Thank you. Jeanine (dusky1228@hotmail.com) Try Outlook Express rather than Outlook. -- Charles Kenyon Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/users...

Problems Uninstalling Office 2004 Test Drive from Mac
Hi, I use a Mac with OSX Tiger. I installed an Office 2004 test drive, but then bought an Office X and started using it. I uninstalled Office 2004 test drive, but now whenever I try opening an office document (word, powerpoint or excel), the Office 2004 dialogue box pops up and tells me that the test drive has expired, though what I am trying to do is open using Office X. To avoid this currently I have to right click and say open with Office X. Is there anyway I can avoid the Office 2004 dialogue box popping up? Can I open the documents with Office X by just double clicking on that. All help a...

WMP 11 won't play CD's without making a chopping sound...
Hello, On a new install of XP SP3 I added WMP 11. When I try to play any CD I can hear the audio in the background but a loud chopping type noise over rides it. I have never added any codecs of any kind, it's my understanding you get the correct ones with the player. I have 2 DVD drives and the result is the same in either drive. However Winamp will play the same CD just fine. Thoughts anyone? Thank you, Accomac WMP-specific newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player Accomac wrote: > Hello, > > On a new install...

The page cannot be found 404 Exch2000
When trying use OWA on local network receiving this error message. I have a exch2000 on W2003 standart server. Exch2000 server has migrated from older W2000 Server. In old system OWA was working without problems but now on new server i have a this error message. Pls any help??? In news:1143733370.521940.221720@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, Incukane <inese@ev.lv> typed: > When trying use OWA on local network receiving this error message. I > have a exch2000 on W2003 standart server. Exch2000 server has migrated > from older W2000 Server. In old system OWA was working without ...