cd/dvd not working code 40

ive recently had to do a system recover,ive loaded everything that i wanted
back on and everythings fine except my cd drive has decided to start playing
up and being stubbon,i put the cd in and it lights up on the small window on
the side but doesnt read it,instead it comes back with the message of windows
has loaded the drivers but cant find the hardware device code 40,(something
like that)ive tried device manager and that gives me a yellow icon next to
the drive,ive also tried microsofts mr fixit but that comes back more or less
saying the same thing,someone suggested i do something to the registry but im
alittle unsure of wanting to do that,ive tried a spare plug n play cd drive
as well as i use that on my netbook so i know that works,but that comes back
saying the same thing as above,the drivers work but cant find the hardware
device is this the end????any help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Windows cannot access this hardware because its service key information in
the registry is missing or recorded incorrectly. (Code 40)
Recommended resolution

Information in the registry's service subkey for the driver is invalid.
Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to
install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the
driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last
time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New
Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the
driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver
from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click
Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
Restart your computer.
Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
Follow the instructions.

"ninja mouse" <ninja mouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ive recently had to do a system recover,ive loaded everything that i
> wanted
> back on and everythings fine except my cd drive has decided to start
> playing
> up and being stubbon,i put the cd in and it lights up on the small window
> on
> the side but doesnt read it,instead it comes back with the message of
> windows
> has loaded the drivers but cant find the hardware device code
> 40,(something
> like that)ive tried device manager and that gives me a yellow icon next to
> the drive,ive also tried microsofts mr fixit but that comes back more or
> less
> saying the same thing,someone suggested i do something to the registry but
> im
> alittle unsure of wanting to do that,ive tried a spare plug n play cd
> drive
> as well as i use that on my netbook so i know that works,but that comes
> back
> saying the same thing as above,the drivers work but cant find the hardware
> device is this the end????any help

0
Bob

So my IMF stopped working
I'm using exchange 2003 sp2 on SBS 2003, and the imf was chugging along happily for a while. Then it stopped. I don't know what changed at that time, but I later enabled SCL exposure in outlook and found out that no SCL was attached to messages any more. I went through and disabled, reenabled, and restarted on both the message delivery and smtp virtual server properties. But I still get no SCL apparent on messages. Any suggestions? Any errors in the error log? Was it updated recently using Automatic Updates/Microsoft Update? Are you using a custom weighting file? -- Bh...

Need VB5 code for these VB6 instructions
I am trying to use the vbSendMail.dll (written in VB6) in a VB5 project. Need Vb5 code for: Private WithEvents poSendmail as vbSendMail.clsSendmail Private Sub Form_Load() Sdet poSendMail = New clsSendMail End Sub Help!! On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:33:01 -0800, Dennis Rose <DennisRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to use the vbSendMail.dll (written in VB6) in a VB5 project. >Need Vb5 code for: > >Private WithEvents poSendmail as vbSendMail.clsSendmail > >Private Sub Form_Load() > Sdet poSendMail = New clsSendMail >...

Audit Trail Code
I have the following code to help with an audit trail in Access 2007 but it keeps bringing me back to the code below when I try to save my form. It highlights Call LogError but the first and second lines are in all yellow. I am a novice and have no clue of what all that means. I copied the code of course. Function AuditEditBegin(sTable As String, sAudTmpTable As String, sKeyField As String, _ lngKeyValue As Long, bWasNewRecord As Boolean) As Boolean On Error GoTo Err_AuditEditBegin 'Purpose: Write a copy of the old values to temp table. ' It is th...

Upgraded to Outlook 2003 but rules is not working
Hi, We have recently upgraded our outlook emails to Outlook 2003. All the rules I had before was gone and did a new set of rules. My problem is, it's not doing what it suppose to do automatic when email arrives, I have to manually run the rules like moving a certain email to another folder when email arrives from a particular email. Is there a way I can get the automatic run rules back from our old outlook? Thanks in advance, Jay ...

How would I set up a machine work log, to keep track of repair?

Anti-crack and anti-piracy application protection and licensing solution using code morphing
Software piracy! Cracked serial numbers! Thousands of commercial products are posted on the warez sites and become available to all every day! Companies lose millions of dollars every year to software piracy, and faulty protection programs. Shareware developers look for unbreakable protection for their products and create some protection themselves or try many of the ready-made tools. Unfortunately most tools have already been cracked, and self solutions often only take one determined cracked a few hours to bypass. As a result they soon find the stoles keys and product cracks on thousands of ...

Workflow to perform actions when task created not working
I have some workflows that create task activity assignments for new clients (Accounts). the workflow rule is 'manual' and works just fine. The issue is that I had to create an additional workflow rule for 'task' entity, so that when a task is created, the system can check the subject, and then update a custom picklist field with a certain value from the list. The 'manual' workflow creates the task activities, but the 'create' workflow rule for tasks is not even launching. No action takes place. Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening. I am...

Problem with code
Dear all please see below a previous post made and a resolution posted however this code is returning an error. Can anyone see where this error is. Also do I paste this code into a module or not Thank Ada --------------------------------- Hi, Adam Not impossible at all. Why not date-stamp each use entry in a column for each data entry row, so you ca create a little macro to clear all old dates something like Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Su If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("C1:C5")) Is Nothing Then Exit Su Application.En...

Open Office and Microsoft Works
How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office instead of Microsoft Works' when trying to open an XLS file? As it stands the latter automatically opens it. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and IE 8. The reason: the file doesn't open properly as is, IOW a calendar shows up in sections of four and incomplete as such. TIA, Harry. "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OU2jlY#lKHA.4148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office > instead of Mic...

Rules don't work with IMAP correctly
I have a number of rules defined to simply check incoming mail for a specific someone in the To list and to move it one of my local folders. The rules work fine as long as Outlook is up and running when the mail arrives. However, when I start Outlook and it updates the cache with all the new mail that has come in since it was last running, instead of moving the messages it only copies them. The net result is the message gets left in the inbox, but there is also a copy in the target folder. I am using Outlook 2002 with IMAP. Thanks. ...

Is this a bug of VC6? Why dependency works in this way?
I have a project B which depends on another DLL project A. But I use an environment variable $(ACE_ROOT) in the configuration of Output files. But when build project B, VC6 will use the following rule to generate the path of A.lib: Dir of Project A + Output Files configuration in Project A It will always get a wrong path such as: "\STUDY\CORBA\Project\LibTest\lib\$(ACE_ROOT)\lib\lib.lib" Although VC6 may warn about using env variable in Project Settings, actually, it's safe to use env variable in other configuration item. Why VC6 doesn't use a normal search algorithm to find ...

remember password not working
i have windows xp, when i use outlook express and i check remember password it does not take i always have to retype password to send and recieve my e-mail's DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX There have been several issues with passwords not being retained with Outlook. For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (note, this article is written for OE but the solution applies to Outlook as well.): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672 -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "dirtydog" <slugger22@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:04e401c34da5$b3dd6740$a401280a@phx.gbl...

Which CD Keys have I used?
I have the Student version of Office, which allows me to install on three machines via 3 unique cd codes. I have already installed on 2 machines (a few months ago) and am now adding a third, but I don't recall which cd codes I've already used. The machines will be networked, so I need to get it right. Is there any way to figure out which codes I used? A previous thread ("Matching Office ID to certifiacte of authenticity") from a few weeks ago seems to say no, but I'm not sure it is talking about the same issue. Thanks for any guidance. In article <C030F408.529F%...

VB Code for button for Access 2003
I have a form called "Quote Entry" displaying data from a table called "Quote" with a field "CustomerID", on this form there is a button called "Customers". This opens a form called "Customer Display" which is a Continuous list of customers, from the current selected customer record. I need some code for a button on the "Customer Display" form to save the current CustomerID back the Quote Entry form and add it to the Quote Table -- thank you for your help "Meaty" <Meaty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Links not working #3
The links in my email are not working, not opening a browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, What version of Outlook? "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b8a01c3f98a$e280c9c0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > The links in my email are not working, not opening a > browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, Hi, Check the following link : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;177054 This applies for both Outlook and Outlook Express. Hope this helps !!! Regards, Sudharson.AN "Richard" <an...

Outlook archiving and importing quit working
I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of folders manually and out of the blue for no reason, it quit working. Now I can't import any of my .pst files back into my mail. Please help?!! What version of Outlook are you using and what is the size(s) of your *.PST files? The reason that I ask is that PST files have size and item count limits. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a3a201c48784$365a0ac0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of > folders manually and out of the blue for no ...

converting works data files to excel with original formats
How can I convert data files from Works 8 to Office & Student 2007 ...

TRACE macro not working.
Hi - I am very new to Visual C++ and MFC, so please bear with me. I am using VStudio.NET 2002, and am learning how to write Windows programs with C++, having had a lot of VB experience. I am having problems getting my CView derivation to show graphics functions, and I have been putting TRACE statements in the code to see what's going on. I know they must be executed because MessageBox() appears on cue. I am using the Debug configuration, and as far as I know I haven't changed any defaults. However, nothing is appearing in the Output Window. Any ideas? Thanks, -- Mark Bertensha...

Who can explain this code for me?about virtual function
/////////////////////////////////////////////// // CIOMessageMap.h class __declspec(novtable) CIOMessageMap { public: virtual bool ProcessIOMessage(IOType clientIO, ClientContext* pContext, DWORD dwSize) = 0; }; #define BEGIN_IO_MSG_MAP() \ public: \ bool ProcessIOMessage(IOType clientIO, ClientContext* pContext, DWORD dwSize = 0) \ { \ bool bRet = false; #define IO_MESSAGE_HANDLER(msg, func) \ if (msg == clientIO) \ bRet = func(pContext, dwSize); #define END_IO_MSG_MAP() \ return bRet; \ } Why class CIOMessageMap should be declared by declspec(novtable)? The macros implements the member ...

Customize Outlook Today
I am running Outlook 2000 (SP3) with Windows XP and IE 6.0 with SP1. When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button it does not do anything. What help can any give me? "Dane" <dane@danewatson.com> wrote in news:5ea801c3ad81$d6b66550$7d02280a@phx.gbl: > I am running Outlook 2000 (SP3) with Windows XP and IE > 6.0 with SP1. > > When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button it > does not do anything. What help can any give me? OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer http://support...

Payment Calculator not working correctly
Recently I tried to program an Excel spreadsheet to calculate a mortgage Payment using the =PMT(Rate/12,Term,Loan Amount)*-1 formula that I have used on many other spreadsheets. These older spreadsheets all work properly, but they were all written on another computer and imported into the one I am now using. The formula “=PMT(10/12, 360,100000)*-1” should give me a payment of $877.57, but it gives me $83,333.33 instead! Is their a flaw in the newer Excel versions, or a patch I don’t have? Any help would be appreciated. -- SwimBob No doubt you meant =PMT(0.1/12,360,100000)*-1 (10% ...

Custom smart tag in outlook 2003
Hi, I'm sold on smart tags. We have a proprietarty CRM package in house and my custom smart tag handler handles tags for that product perfectly... in Word. It appears that custom smart tags still do not work in Outlook 2003. Can anyone confirm or am I missing an option somewhere? Help in OL for smart tags just describes what they are. Thanks, Mark /\/\/ They work if you're using Word as your email editor. See the smart tag in the To field after you add a contact to that field when using WordMail. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginners Gu...

conditional format code based on lookup from another tab
Hi All, I'm wondering if it's possible to create vba code using conditional format principles with the source data on another tab. I have a separate tab for each store that lists it's personnel and their ratings. I have then summarised all of this info on another sheet using vlookup. I would like this final spreadsheet to colour code each cell according to their rating i.e. Position Store1 Store2 Store3 etc Manager Bob (red) Carol (blue) Ted (yellow) Meat Mgr Alice (blue) Bakery Mgr Can I incorpora...

Validation of Postal Code
Hi; is there a way to validate CND postal codes in a spreadsheet? If not how can I format the column to accept only A9A9A9 type of data? (Upper case, number,uppercase, etc.) Thank you, Veronika You can use the custom data validation formula that J.E. McGimpsey shows in this message: http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/msg/4e93ebdb2d254817?hl=en& If you want to check for upper case, you can add the Exact function to the formula. However, the formula would then be too long for the data validation formula box: =AND(EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1)),(LEFT(A1)>=&quo...

Running code when pressing the * key
In the application I'm using, I enter several numbers in a subform, then click a Next Button on the main form to move to the next record. The Next Button's click event has the code shown below, and all works well: DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNext Me!sfrmEnterValues.SetFocus My boss has asked me to do a presentation over the next three days, and I've just realized I have a problem. I've been given a numeric key pad to enter data while at the lecturn, but it will be somewhat difficult to click the Next button on the main keyboard. (it is out of reach and hard to see i...