Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP

Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP:

I tried this run SP3 last night on my computer and it told me "not
allowed" (going from memory).  After this, my system has to remove all
the files and then it says "couldn't uninstall correctly, XP might not
work properly".
The system is running fine, but I wonder why but I wonder why I cannot
install it?!?!

Before this, I had a problem with IE not working and I thought it
might be fixed with SP3 (it wasn't the issue it seems) - but since
have fixed the IE issue, but now it leaves me wondering about SP3 and
why it isn't working.
0
daviddschool

On Feb 20, 11:20=A0am, daviddschool <daviddsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP:
>
> I tried this run SP3 last night on my computer and it told me "not
> allowed" (going from memory). =A0After this, my system has to remove all
> the files and then it says "couldn't uninstall correctly, XP might not
> work properly".
> The system is running fine, but I wonder why but I wonder why I cannot
> install it?!?!
>
> Before this, I had a problem with IE not working and I thought it
> might be fixed with SP3 (it wasn't the issue it seems) - but since
> have fixed the IE issue, but now it leaves me wondering about SP3 and
> why it isn't working.

You did not mention if you followed the SP3 installation instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

There are some popular error situations listed there and what to do
about them.

0
Jose

"Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
You did not mention if you followed the SP3 installation instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

There are some popular error situations listed there and what to do
about them.

David:
In addition to the MS article Jose referenced...

Here's a MS article dealing with the possible issue of SP3 not working with
AMD processors just in case this has any application in your case. BTW, when
you post a problem/issue like the one you did it's always a good idea if you
would provide a reasonable amount of background info re the system you're
working with, not merely refer to "my computer".

From our experience this problem seems to affect only OEM machines,
particularly HP ones, but it could involve other AMD-based systems as well.
In addition to the symptoms noted in the article re the Stop error messages
I've seen references to continuous reboots occurring.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some other links re this issue...
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9084418

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/en-us

HP article re problems with HP Pavilion & Compaq Presario desktop PC's
containing AMD processors after installing SP3...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284
(Note link to downloaded file to resolve problem)
Anna

0
Anna
2/20/2010 5:08:24 PM
I had to do the following to get SP3 to install (my system also had SP2).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

ADVANCED TROUBLESHOOTING (Reset the registry and the file permissions)

JE

"daviddschool" <daviddschool@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP:
>
> I tried this run SP3 last night on my computer and it told me "not
> allowed" (going from memory).  After this, my system has to remove all
> the files and then it says "couldn't uninstall correctly, XP might not
> work properly".
> The system is running fine, but I wonder why but I wonder why I cannot
> install it?!?!
>
> Before this, I had a problem with IE not working and I thought it
> might be fixed with SP3 (it wasn't the issue it seems) - but since
> have fixed the IE issue, but now it leaves me wondering about SP3 and
> why it isn't working.

0
Jerry
2/20/2010 5:39:27 PM
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/00c26a560c053de5

What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

it)?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
"Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

   => Possible fixes include http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 &
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009.  Such support will cost you
US$59 per incident now.

Note: Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

daviddschool wrote:
> Cannot load SP3 on my SP2 XP:
>
> I tried this run SP3 last night on my computer and it told me "not
> allowed" (going from memory).  After this, my system has to remove all
> the files and then it says "couldn't uninstall correctly, XP might not
> work properly".
> The system is running fine, but I wonder why but I wonder why I cannot
> install it?!?!
>
> Before this, I had a problem with IE not working and I thought it
> might be fixed with SP3 (it wasn't the issue it seems) - but since
> have fixed the IE issue, but now it leaves me wondering about SP3 and
> why it isn't working.

0
PA

asks for a password in a database converted from access 97 to access XP
I have converted access 97 database to access XP database and I have an application whose frontend is visual basic 6 and backend is access XP and I have a crystal report when ever i try to print or view using crystal report it asks me for a password for the database.The database doesnt have a password though.I donno why it asks for a password and .I will be grateful to you guyz if you give me some solution to get rid of this problem. Thanks and regards Prakash ...

Setting Up Multiple Users for Outlook 2003 with windows XP
Hi Kathleen - I originally installed office (Small Business Edition) over a year ago. I entered my name and accepted the EULA at that time. Outlook has run just fine since then for my original account with supervisor rights. I created the new XP user account a few days ago, and would like to be able to get Outlook running with this account using a separate .pst file and email account. When I try to run Outlook when I am logged in to the new account, I am not given the opportunity to enter anything. The Windows Installer box runs for a few seconds and then closes, and the second box ope...

Confused regarding Outlook XP AutoCorrect
Hi, I've just migrated from one computer to another, and therein will probably lie the answer to my problem... I have installed Office 2007 H&S edition for Word etc, but, because I keep a diary going in Office XP's Outlook Journal, I installed the Outlook component of Office XP before installing Office 2007. I have managed to transfer over all my AutoCorrect settings to the new machine, and they work correctly when I use the Office 2007 apps. Also, they must be being accessed by Outlook XP a bit because, when -in the main program- I go to Tools>Options>Spelling>Au...

Report load event
Hello, I have several reports where I need to use both the onopen and onload event. In A2007 this is no worries. In A2003 I have no load event. I initially thought this may have been a corrupt mdb, confirmed not. Then I thought possibly my A2003 installation may be corrupted in some way, so I re-installed. Still to no avail. Searching msdn etc... form and report events get very mixed up, though definitely no report load event listed for A2003. OK, so I have to come to terms with no report_load event in A2003. What are the alternatives? Is onactivate ok to do filtering t...

Outlook in Office Xp
I have a mail stuck in the outbox of a users Laptop That i cant delete. The error goes as follows "the mapi spooler has already begun transmitting this message" Any ideas on how to delete it?? ...

Opening Outlook 2003 prompts installer for Office XP (MOS 03 Installed)
My confusion and *annoyance type problem* is this: I have Office 2003 Pro installed. All components work fine. But when I open up Outlook 2003, an installer box for Office XP pops up, and if I let it run it prompts me with a familiar box we all have seen for installing SPs or sometimes updates that "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom that is not available...Insert the 'Microsoft Office XP Professional Disk' and click OK.' It shows me an *error 1706*--"setup can't find the required files." Of course it can't; I'm not giving it an Office...

Access XP & Source Safe
We would like to set up Access XP to use SourceSafe but can't find the Office XP Developer Extensions on MSDN subscriber downloads. Thanks, Simon It's been a long time since I looked for the XP Developer Extensions on MSDN downloads, but I seem to remember they were not under the Office tree. Try looking through other possible locations, maybe something for development, if the search feature doesn't find them. Paul Shapiro "Simon Pollock" <simon.pollock@italfondiario.com> wrote in message news:upHbI684HHA.5724@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > We would like to...

Excel 2003-Sp2
Resize annoying formula box, when e.g. Collumn A has very large text in fields, and the formula field drowp down and covers the 1st row or more. This were not an issue in Excel 2000 and in Excel 2007 you can hover the mouse or use CTRL + SHIFT + U and choose number of lines / the height, and set it back to 1 line. But in Excel 2003 you are stuck ..... arrrggggg. In the follow article it is describes how to remedy this in Excel 2007 - please help with a solution for Excel 2003. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA100818641033.aspx /Alex I think xl95 through xl2003 all behaved...

Office 2000 post Sp3 hotfix
Does anyone know where I can get this hotfix? I am having a problem with Outlook 2000 and need to get this acoording to an KB article. Please advise and the KB article is? /neo ps - if the article states that you must call MS's product support group, you must call them. odds are in your favor that they won't charge you for the fix since you did the leg work and identified problem/resolution. "Tom Sayles" <tsayles1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23Wpnea4PEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know where I can get this hotfix? I am having a problem...

outlook express with windows XP
I canot get my message sent out.I have contact my server their is no problem with them as all has been checked. i have also been trying to send pictures and outlook express keeps terminating at the max time allowed of 5 min. the total amount of jps is 137 and I have been told that this should have go out immeditely. Can some one help me with this problem. the internet explorer I am using is 6.0 and that is current. Do I have to delete outlook and re install it??? I am in need of help on this immediatly. Thank you This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family f...

XP Home
I searched the Microsoft site to see where I can legitimize my software. Long story short - I am a Pastor of a ministry that has been donated 6 computers - however I discovered the operating systems are not legit - and I have put the systems in a corner until I can make them legal again. Since we offer the use of them free to the community I would like to get the running again however not at the expense of being illegal with them. Can someone direct me where I can contact MS to purchase licenses - I can only fine paid tech support on their site and would rather not since we are a minist...

crm not loading
I'm getting this error in CRM 3.0 and I can't open it. Please Help.... Eduardo Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The root element is missing. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: Microsoft.Crm.Errors.CRMException: The root element is missing. Source Error: An unhandled except...

Windows XP/Vista Crashes!
Ive got a big problem now my computer freezes or just automatic restart when i get a bluescreen i need your help too fix it! BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 8054E5F0 BCP3 : B6002404 BCP4 : 001E011B OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1 :eek: Ice420 wrote: > Ive got a big problem now my computer freezes or just automatic restart > when i get a bluescreen i need your help too fix it! > > BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 8054E5F0 BCP3 : B6002404 > > BCP4 : 001E011B OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product...

Outlook XP #9
Hi all, I installed office XP on a machine. I am unable to setup a personal folder to have the email storage on local drive. On outlook 2000, under tools, if i click on Services it will give me the option to add personal folder. But in Outlook XP I don't see the service. Please advice me Advance thanks Jamie ...

i cannot change user name when loading outlook
When I selected Outlook from the all programs menu it asked for a user name and password and to go to the system administrator for that information. I entered the incorrect user name and now I cannot change it. How do I do that? You would have to delete the Outlook profile and create a new one. Use the Control Panel, mail applet to do that. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "mcpastena" wrote: > When I selected Outlook from the all programs menu it asked for a user name > and password and to go...

downloading clip art with Windows Xp
what is invalid handle address? I have tried to enable Microsoft office.com but it won't allow any clip art to download ...

Problem installing CRM wiht SQL Reports SP2 SharePoint integrated
Hi I'm having trouble installing MS CRM 3.0 with SQL Server SP2 in SharePoint integrated mode. I get the following error message and the install will go no further. Is there a patch or a way round this problem. Regards Andrew Error message ------- Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://inex2.ncl.ac.uk/reportserver. Error: The operation is not supported on a report server that is configured to run in SharePoint integrated mode ------- Maybe this will fix the problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922/ "Andrew Stokes" wrote: &g...

excel xp
i am using excel xp - I have some data in a worksheet which has to b transferred to different columns in a word table can you suggest an built-in option available in excel or a VBA code to solve thi problem. please do hel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Betzim, If this is a one-time operation, copy/paste may work just fine. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "betzim >" <<betzim.1amesr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:betzim.1amesr@excelforum-nospam.com... > i am ...

Unable to add item to shared calendar
I am trying to add an item to a shared calendar by double clicking on a date/time. I immediately receiving the error "The operation failed - An object cannot be found". I have several users calendars that I have access to and they all seem to work but this one. It has worked in the past week but all of a sudden quit working this week. I have tried the following: -removing the shared calendar and re-adding it -Detect and Repair Any help would be appreciated. "butter" <butter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BBC0248-8E7B-45B3-9...

Communicating with a Vista computer from XP
We have Windows XP and Windows Messenger 4.7.3001, and have recently tried to talk and video with a computer with Windows Vista. Both of us have the same HP Deluxe Webcam. When we try to start a new voice or video conversation, it says they must have their settings incorrect, or something similar. When I check the Help file with our 4.7 Messenger under [Calling Contacts/Call a computer using voice and video], one of the final sentences says "If the person you are calling doesn't have Windows XP (which they don't-Vista), they won't be able to accept the invitat...

Outlook 2000 and Roaming Profiles(Windows XP)
I need to set up Outlook on a Network without Microsot Exchange for users with roaming profiles. So the .PST file needs to go on <HomeDirectory>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook on the Server How can I configure things so that as each user logs and sets up Outlook this will happen rather than creating C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and then having to go through the rigmarole of setting up another .PST file in the right place MS does not support accessing PST files from a network drive - you will likely run into problems with this. A M Gi...

Suppressing DTD look-up via web access when loading XmlDocument
Hi In one of our test suites we load an xml document (it's actually .svg). I'm trying to find some way of stopping the eventual call to HttpWebRequest.GetResponse which I presume it's doing when going to get the DTD at "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd". The result is a time-out because this machine is isolated from the database, the web, everything really :-) I tried to pass XmlDocument a non-validating reader e.g. XmlTextReader but the web request was still attempted. I also set its XmlResolver to null but to no avail. Would anyone be able to ...

XP SP2 and NTDLL.DLL HELP!
I have an application that works in all windows environments just fine. However in Windows XP SP2 it crashes at shut down giving an error from the NTDLL.DLL. I have been trying to debug it and have come to the conclusion that my ExitInstance functions are never being called after CFrameWnd::OnClose(). I discovered this by putting in message boxes in the various ExitInstance functions. On any operating system but XP SP2 the messages all come up. There doesn't appear to be any change I can make, I have no calls following OnClose, windows should be passing messages to initiate t...

xp can/us (e85-02665) vs xp/uk (e85-02667)
I need to know the programming differences between E85-02665 (XP SP2 Can/US) and E85-02667 (XP SP2 UK). Can someone please either spell them out or point me to a Microsoft document. TYIA. Viejo Loco wrote: > I need to know the programming differences between E85-02665 (XP SP2 > Can/US) and E85-02667 (XP SP2 UK). Can someone please either spell > them out or point me to a Microsoft document. TYIA. Programming differences? Likely none. Different regional settings, maybe slight re-wording of EULA depending on the country (don't hold me to that), etc. Windows ...

1 Lane Vista, 2 Lanes XP?
We have a three lane store where one of the machines has crashed requiring the user to purchase a new box. I have sent the user our specific system build guidelines (which include XP), but the user would like to buy a Vista OS. I have read in the groups: - RMS 1.3 will work with Vista - 2.0 can be a finicky install - 2-3G would be recommended on a Vista box Here is what I am really wondering: This store will be operating the db and one additional lane on WinXP, the third lane would be Vista - conflicts/unnecessary headaches? -- Jocelyn This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ...