Can't Stop External Hard Drive

I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port.
I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function
searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them.

I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer.
 But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped.  It used to be
that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive.  But that's
stopped working.

Here are two questions:

	1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?;

	2. What is the worst that can happen if I remove it without stopping it
first?

Thanks.

Do you have the 'safely remove hardware' icon in your tray?
"Robert Lee" <RobertLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB
> port.
> I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function
> searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them.
>
> I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my
> computer.
> But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped.  It used to be
> that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive.  But that's
> stopped working.
>
> Here are two questions:
>
> 1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?;
>
> 2. What is the worst that can happen if I remove it without stopping it
> first?
>
> Thanks.

0
Unknown
3/13/2010 6:19:30 PM
On 3/13/2010 10:11 AM On a whim, Robert Lee pounded out on the keyboard

> I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port.
> I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function
> searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them.
>
> I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer.
>   But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped.  It used to be
> that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive.  But that's
> stopped working.
>
> Here are two questions:
>
> 	1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?;
>
> 	2. What is the worst that can happen if I remove it without stopping it
> first?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Robert,

I have one drive that does that.  Have you tried right clicking on the
drive in Explorer and selecting "Eject"? Works for me.

Terry R.
Terry
3/13/2010 9:19:25 PM
It could be your antivirus or antispyware tools scanning your drive. Try
turning them off first.

Use Process Explorer:
Why do I get "device ... cannot be stopped right now" trying to safely
remove my USB drive?
http://ask-leo.com/why_do_i_get_device_cannot_be_stopped_right_now_trying_to_safely_remove_my_usb_drive.html

Use your Task Manager to end suspected running programs accessing the drive.

--
Rey

"Robert Lee" wrote:

> I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port.
> I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function
> searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them.
>
> I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer.
>  But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped.  It used to be
> that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive.  But that's
> stopped working.
>
> Here are two questions:
>
> 	1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?;
>
> 	2. What is the worst that can happen if I remove it without stopping it
> first?
>
> Thanks.
Thanks to everyone who responded.  Rey, you were right: if I turn off my
Norton Antivirus, I'm able to stop the drive.

Terry, I don't have an "Eject" option when I click on the external hard
drive using Windows Explorer.

Also, what's the worst that can happen if I unplug the drive without getting
the "Safe" message?

"Robert Lee" wrote:

> I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port.
> I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function
> searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them.
>
> I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer.
>  But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped.  It used to be
> that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive.  But that's
> stopped working.
>
> Here are two questions:
>
> 	1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?;
>
> 	2. What is the worst that can happen if I remove it without stopping it
> first?
>
> Thanks.

How do I stop a spreadsheet from Auto-publishing as a web page?
A colleague has taken a copy of a Excel file which was set to automatically publish as a web page each time the xls was saved. The copy is in a completely different location and is going to be put to a different use, however it is still trying to auto-publish when saved. Consequently, it is coming up with an error. The error dialog has 'dont show me this again' type checkbox, but I'd rather remove the problem rather than hide it. How do I stop the auto-publishing? Thanks Chris ...

Completely empty/blank messages stopping Outlook #2
We are running Exchange 2003, and clients are accessing via Outlook and POP3. Occasionally, completely empty messages (no sender, no message, no body) will appear in mailboxes, and Outlook will choke. We must then go into OWA, which clearly shows the message to be completely empty, and delete the message before Outlook can receive again. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there a fix/work-around? The message Outlook produces at that point is as follows: ---------- Task '(email account name) - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was...

PF replication stops
Hi, all. I'm experiencing troubles with freezing mail queues between two PF servers. The queue is frozen with "Unable to open the message for delivery". Messages have "Folder content" or "Folder content backfil response" subjects. The situation is similar to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828420&sd=ee , but I'm using Exchange 2003 SP1 and versions of files are greater than described in this article. also, we use GFI Mail Security with ProActive scanning option. ...

External add-in in excel
I have installed an add-in to excel which is relating to our accounts system database. This has added a new menu I can click to access it and is available each time I launch Excel. I have a couple of questions: How does it add the menu and know to launch it each time? The add-in really slows down excel so I would rather be able to choose whether or not I include the add-in when I launch excel - is this possible? Thanks for any help The addin will have some code in the Workbook_Open event that dynamically builds a menu and more code in the Workbook_BeforeClose event that destroys it. ...

refresh external data on a protected sheet
I have a worksheet that has an external data area and some other sections that need to be protected. I have unlocked all the columns used by the external data. When I protect the sheet, I can no longer refresh the external data area. Even if the entire worksheet is unlocked, the Refresh button is unavailable. ...

why the pc stop after a few seconds
This morning I was able to use is HP desktop andI shut down through the normal process.This evening, when I power up the pc by press the button, the power will come on for a few seconds and die down Why is that? Repeated the start up and its still the same, power will come on foir a few seconds and die down. To eliminate physical causes, I open the box and disconnect all the electrical connections and "short" the start up and it was able to go to deskop. I was able to use it as usual. So, it seems there is nothing wrong with the mobo but is there a tweak on the mobo ...

Why am I not receiving external email?
I can send messages (internally externally), but I seem to only be able to receive internal email. What type of settings could I have messed up while trying to protect myself from relay-based SPAM that's preventing external email from getting delivered to my mail box? --thx, Joseph What is your domain name? We can run some tests to see what your server responsds with to a connection attempt. There are a lot of things that could be going on. Can you detail what changes you made to protect your server from relay-based SPAM? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Joseph Mouhanna&...

Worksheet Protection and Refresh External Data
Hi I have protected my worksheet to stop users from chaning information, but now the Refesh External Data does not run. I need to unlock the worksheet to run it, but i don't want the users to do this. Is there a way to enable the refresh data while the worksheet is still protected? ...

How to stop pivot table crashing in Excel 2007
In a large spreadsheet with several tabs I’m having a problem with excel crashing while making a pivot table after a specific series of events happen. On the main data tab I have both several columns populated by data from an Access query and several columns populated by assorted formulas (date 1st of month & vlookup). If I do this excel crashes: 1) Start a pivot table & chart from main data tab by clicking the icon from the toolbar 2) Put the chart on a separate tab from the pivot table 3) Try to drag & drop any field that is populated by a formula I can drag around other f...

VS 2008 stop working when interface changes
I have a WPF project with several interfaces which are used in UserControls I attempt to change an event on one of the interfaces and VS 2008 shuts down with a COMPILER ERROR WTF!!! At the present I have tried just about everything I know to get around this. Any ideas? It is VS 2008 Pro. Thanks LS "Lloyd Sheen" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:u0zB170dKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have a WPF project with several interfaces which are used in > UserControls > > I attempt to change an event on one of the interfaces and VS 2008 shu...

How do I stop a Pivot Table from Sorting my data (Excel 2007)
The data in my Access database is in the order that I want it to be but my Pivot Table insists on sorting it either Ascending or Descending. I can't seem to turn this off... If I right-click on the field name and choose Sort > More Sort Options... > Manual (you can drag items to rearrange them) This makes no difference! If I choose PivotTable Options > Display > Field List: Sort in data source order This again makes no difference! Is there some trick I'm missing or is it simply impossible to preserve the original data source order? Br, Nick. Excel...

No Disk In The Drive
I am in the process of re-installing my system after a bad driver update experience :-( and I just finished re-installing Microsoft Money 2000. Everything is back to how I had it before except tha each time I start it up, it tells me there is no disk in my cd drive. I click cancel and it continues fine but this is annoying. I have run across this problem before and I hope someone here will remind me how to get rid of this annoyance. Please no suggestings that I get Money 2005, this work fine for me. Ak In microsoft.public.money, Alfred Kaufmann wrote: >I am in the process of re...

Internal & External Email differnt mailboxes
I want to be able for a number of users have their external mail forwarded to a public folder, but still have internal email delivered to the private mailbox. Also I want their primary email address to be the external address wwhen presented to customers If I forward to public folder in delivery options it does it for both internal and external message, if I add primary address to email addresses in public folder they cannot send with their own addresss as reply address, uses the own primary I have set in email address in AD Sorry if it sounds confusing cuz it is, any pointers ap...

How to link xml with xsd "externally"?
Right now, in order to validate my xml file against xsd, I include the following line in the xml file: xmlns="urn:mySchemaName". Is it possible to link xml to xsd without specifying the schema inside the xml file? Thank you! Eve wrote: > Right now, in order to validate my xml file against xsd, I include the > following line in the xml file: xmlns="urn:mySchemaName". xmlns="urn:mySchemaName" is a namespace declaration, not an "instruction" to validate against a schema. You should use xsi:schemaLocation and/or xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation att...

external account
hello to all. I previously have a exposed problem, but that the solution that habeis exposed is not worth to me (to put the service of quite complicated and ineffective mail in exchange, serious). I have external accounts of ISP and the dominion of the servant exchange agrees with the name @midominio.com there is a user which they have internal account to enter the servant, but does not have mailbox, single the mail of the ISP (andre@midominio.com). When they envian mail to its account leaves the following error: An error of configuration in the system of electronic mail gave rise to a curl be...

forward outlook email to external address
I was wondering if I can have my outlook email at work also sent to my home address automatically. Rules Wizard and only if the Exchange Admin allows forwards to the Internet. Any admin worth their salary keeps this disabled. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, can I forward outlook email to external address asked: | I was wondering if I can have my outlook email at work | also sen...

Need to Set CD Drive as "R:" can that be done under XP
I have set up a Mini Tower Using XP as a CD Reader/Copier. I Need to Set the first CD Drive as "R:" can that be done under XP TIA Bob in Wisconsin Robert J. Stevens wrote: > I have set up a Mini Tower Using XP as a CD Reader/Copier. > I Need to Set the first CD Drive as "R:" can that be done under XP Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found: Search using Google! http://www.google.com/ (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html ) Speci...

Auto-Archive
Hi, I am using Auto-Archive in Outlook 2002. Outlook always renames my folder to "Archive Folders". This is very confusing. Is it possible to stop this renaming from happening? The impact of the rename is: 1) Confusion There are 4 folders called "Archive Folders". Is there any way to eliminate such a folder? There does not seem to be a right-click, delete option. 2) Disorganization I have a Personal Folder for each year. The year is in the folder name. That is convenient. 3) Broken Rules There are rules to route emails. Those rules don't work once my persona...

Repost MSE 5.5--Accept clients on external interface POP3 failed
Subject: MSE 5.5 Event ID 1194 Accept clients on external interface POP3 failed From: "Harold" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> Sent: 9/9/2004 7:57:54 PM MSE 5.5 !! Internet Mail Service Connector fails to respond on port 110 with the following event log entries: ---------------------------------------------- Event ID 11507 (Configuration) Ready to accept clients on the POP3 interface. Event ID 11508 (Configuration) Accept clients on external interface POP3 failed with error 0x80004005. Event ID 1194 (General) Accept clients on POP3 interface failed in ...

External Links and Multiple Instances
I am running Excel 2000 on Windows XP Professional. For a long time, I was able to open up files in separate windows and to create links between these files by typing "=" in a cell of the target sheet and then clicking on a cell in the source sheet. I recently installed a second monitor and video card on my computer. Since then, I have been unable to both open multiple instances and create links between those multiple instances. At first I was unable to create multiple instanced. I have managed to create multiple instances in three ways. First, I have gone to options - ge...

Forward to external adress error
I have set up an internal user to have thier e-mail forwarded to an external smtp address. If an internal user send an e-mail it is forwarded to the external address, but if an e-mail comes in from the outside then the message is bounced witht eh following NDR John Doe on 10/13/2005 3:05 PM There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <ctmail.mydomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 test@anywhere.com>: Sender address rejected: Blocked Again, it works internally and I have checked the ALLOW FORWARD option in ESM. I...

how do i stop auto highliting during email writing???
When typing a new email in outlook the sentence/word/paragraph is automatically highlited for some unknown reason. I can't stop it or disable it. It's like I'm trying to copy the text to save it... Any help would be appreciated. It's driving me NUTS!!! "56 chevy" <56 chevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76312693-4CE9-4399-8ED3-124BA6D77F1B@microsoft.com... > When typing a new email in outlook the sentence/word/paragraph is > automatically highlited for some unknown reason. I can't stop it or > disable > it. It's li...

Need to save workbook with external links as a static workbook
ok, i've got a delima. i have a workbook that links to several external sources. what i'd like to be able to do is when i save the workbook, no changes to the data can be made, regardless of the updates to the external source. make sense? please advise. thanx, ~julz Hi you may copy your data and insert it again as values. you could also record a macro for this and place it in the Beforesave event of your workbook -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Julz" <jhbiz@austin.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eUQ9AOeOEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ...

Load language from an external dll
I have 2 dialog projects ResApp and SetupMgr and I created a resource only dll for both projects with localized resources, using the same method. ResApp works good, the dll is loaded correctly and the dialog starts with the localized resources. When I try the same procedure with SetupMgr it seems that the dll is loaded correctly, but the DoModal() method returns -1. Debugging it I found that the CreateDialogIndirect() method returns the error ERROR_CANNOT_FIND_WND_CLASS (0x057F), and I left a lot of time trying to resolve it, without any result. The only difference I think important between Re...

Web Site hyperlinks to files on hard disk not working
Greetings kind folks, I've been using Publisher for my Web Site for 3 years. All of a sudden in web preview (checking the changes I need to make to the site ASAP) none of the hyperlinks (PDFs) set to files on my hard disk work. All the other hyperlinks work. I get the following message: "Accessing the resource C:\Document Settings\...ect. (Where the file is on my hard drive) has been disallowed." I've checked everything I can think of, i.e updates to M- Office Premium 2000 are current, updates to XP Professional are current, ran the repair programs in Publisher and ...