Can't find CD/DVDdrive

My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.

Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.

Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
them to the motherboard.
Doesn't appear to be anything physical.

Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
can't fix it.

Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.

Any suggestions?

On 06/20/2010 05:13 AM, Philx5 wrote:
> My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.
>
> Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.
>
> Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
> them to the motherboard.
> Doesn't appear to be anything physical.
>
> Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
> can't fix it.
>
> Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.
>
> Any suggestions?

does the bios see them?
0
philo
6/20/2010 10:42:19 AM
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:13:57 -0700, Philx5
<Philx5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.
>
>Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.
>
>Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
>them to the motherboard.
>Doesn't appear to be anything physical.
>
>Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
>can't fix it.
>
>Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.
>
>Any suggestions?

System restore to when they were working .
0
Jim
6/20/2010 11:16:33 AM
Delete the Higher filters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Philx5" <Philx5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.
>
> Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.
>
> Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
> them to the motherboard.
> Doesn't appear to be anything physical.
>
> Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
> can't fix it.
>
> Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
Peter
6/20/2010 3:49:56 PM
On 6/20/2010 5:13 AM, Philx5 wrote:
> My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.
>
> Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.
>
> Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
> them to the motherboard.
> Doesn't appear to be anything physical.
>
> Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
> can't fix it.
>
> Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.
>
> Any suggestions?

You may want to check out this article at Microsoft support:

windows xp does not recognize cd
<http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems>

In the What it fixes list you'll see:

A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected

hth

--
Chet <chesterefSPAM@NOThotmail.com>
0

--

"Chet" <chesteref@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 6/20/2010 5:13 AM, Philx5 wrote:
>> My DVD drives have disappeared. they don't show as hardware in control panel.
>>
>> Working fine yesterday - no software changes made.
>>
>> Both have power to them. I've unplugged everything and put a new lead from
>> them to the motherboard.
>> Doesn't appear to be anything physical.
>>
>> Followed various posts on this site. Mr Fixit recognises the problem but
>> can't fix it.
>>
>> Went into registry. Higher filters there but no lower filters.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> You may want to check out this article at Microsoft support:
>
> windows xp does not recognize cd
> <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems>
>
> In the What it fixes list you'll see:
>
> A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected
>
> hth
>
> --
> Chet <chesterefSPAM@NOThotmail.com>

0
Peter
6/21/2010 2:21:22 AM

Thanks for the advice

The bios does not recognise the drives which is why I changed the lead to a
brand new one. Still can't see them.

Tried system restore - no joy

Looked at the manual article - when I go into the registry it has higher
filters but no lower filters.
The article said that if there were no lower filters then it wasn't of help.
Not sure if I should delete the higher filters anyway ?
Philx5 wrote:

> Thanks for the advice
>
> The bios does not recognise the drives which is why I changed the lead to a
> brand new one. Still can't see them.
>
> Tried system restore - no joy
>
> Looked at the manual article - when I go into the registry it has higher
> filters but no lower filters.
> The article said that if there were no lower filters then it wasn't of help.
> Not sure if I should delete the higher filters anyway ?

"The bios does not recognise the drives"

Surely, that is a crucial step. If the BIOS doesn't see a storage
device, that severely limits the possibility that the OS will be
able to. No amount of UpperFilter changes will change that. The BIOS
gives you hardware visibility. If you haven't put the data or
power cabling or jumpers together right, or enabled a storage controller
in the BIOS setup screen, then fixing it to work properly at the
BIOS level, is your first step.

    Paul
0
Paul

finding your posts
Is there an esy way of finding your own post. Can they be tageed to email? -- blackwellcj "blackwellcj" <blackwellcj.51ba15e@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:blackwellcj.51ba15e@outlookbanter.com... > > Is there an esy way of finding your own post. Yes - use a newsreader instead of web forum. If you're using the forum, there is a checkbox to tell you when it's been responded to. You'll get an email with a link to it. If you're using a newsreader like Outlook Express, you can tag it to show you're watching it. It'll show up re...

find and delete row
Hi Can we have a macro which finds something and deletes that entire ro and that too like 3 or more criterias: like if it finds "------" and "manual" and "blank" and so on a macro with multiple criteria option, like all at one go thank u so much frnd -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try something like the following (looks in column A): Sub delete_rows() Dim RowNdx As Long Dim LastRow As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row For RowNdx = LastRow To 1 Step -1 wi...

Find and Replace Hyperlink Contents
How can I do a Find for all hyperlinks in my spreadsheet (or the entire workbook) that contain "iis" in they hyperlink and Replace that portion of they hyperlink with "iis2"? For hyperlinks that were inserted via Insert|Hyperlink? If yes, then visit David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) Actually, here's David's code: Sub Fix192Hyperlinks() Dim OldStr As String, NewStr As String OldStr = "http://192.168.15.5/" NewStr = "http://hank.home.on.ca/" ...

finding hidden tab settings
I appear to have some hidden tab settings from text that I have imported from WordPerfect. How do I find and delete them? I am accustomed to using "Reveal Codes" and am totally lost. I did save the text as text only, but it appears that the tabs came over with the text. ...

Macro to find the first cell in a column with different data
Hello, I really could use some of your expert and excellent help with a problem I am having in creating a macro to perform a search in "Column A" to locate a change in the data in that column and then move one column to the right and one row down and type "1" in that cell. I really appreciate your help, and Have a Blessed Holiday Season. Perhaps this might also do it here .. Assuming data is in A1 down, of the structure as below: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 etc Put in B2: =IF(A2<>A1,1,"") Copy down Kill the formulas in col B with an in-place: Copy > Paste spe...

Office2000 CD installation scratched
Hi everyone, Im in the process of formatting the PC with Office2000 installed. I still have the original CD which is now unusable (surface scratched). Is there a way I can get the setup data from my PC or perhaps copy/paste folders from my computer? Thanks in advance. No "Agnes" <Agnes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F43EBBCD-F0BC-4170-8784-242231B16B5A@microsoft.com... > Hi everyone, > Im in the process of formatting the PC with Office2000 installed. I still > have the original CD which is now unusable (surface scratched). Is th...

How find appointments that *start* 12a.m.?
I'm using Outlook 2003. Is there any way to find all appointments that *begin* at 12 a.m.? Hint, it is *not* this: FIND (button) > Options (pull down) > Advanced > (Appointments and Meetings) > Advanced (tab) > Field (pull down) > Date/time fields > start (...which only give options like yesterday, today, last week, etc. ... but not a specific *time* like 12 a.m.) The reason I need to see these is, I may have some holdover things from several upgrades and and old Palm that may have been "no time" in the Palm, but somehow got tagged as 12 a.m. at so...

Finding - Viewing - Conflicting Appointments
Hi, I am given a warning message that a reoccurring appointment conflicts with another appointment. Is there a way to search or view where that conflict occurs? Regards Pete ...

Birthday in Advanced Find
When one select the Contact table and the field, Birthday, the only condition that works is ‘Contains Data’. All other forms of a Birthday query state, in grey text, ‘No Contact records are available in this view.’ The text appears in the area where the records would appear if the query was successful. Thanks in advance. ...

Money 2002 backing up to a cd-rw
I have a new laptop that does not have a floppy drive. I want to backup to cd-rw. Anybody know how to do this? The only option I see is backup to hard drive and floppy. Thanks, Mark This is treated in the newsgroup weekly. Please read the posts. "Mark Lustig" <marklustig@aol.com> wrote in message news:9f8701c34672$ffb73a40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a new laptop that does not have a floppy drive. I > want to backup to cd-rw. Anybody know how to do this? The > only option I see is backup to hard drive and floppy. > Thanks, Mark ...

Find the top value in a list
I have a worksheet created in EXCEL 2003 which i use to record swimmers times in several lists. One examlpe is in cells D109 to 113. In cells D111 to 113 are recent times and D109 to 110 are empty. As I add current times to the top of the list. I want to be able to retrive the current value at the top of the list and show it in D106. D107 & 108 are used for other values. At present I have the following formula in cell D106 =OFFSET(D108,COUNTBLANK(D109:D113)+COUNTA(D109,D113),0). This works well but makes updating the list difficult. Is there a simpler way to achive the same...

Finding isv.config
How can one programmatically find where isv.config is on a system? Obviously its quite easy to do this manually just by a brute force search but are there any registry keys etc. that one can examine to find where CRM has been installed? I think there is a registry key for CRM website. Just concatenate _Resources/isv.config to it and you will get the path of isv.config. Good Luck! On 25 Jul 2005 16:28:24 -0700, "Roof" <maruf.dolani@gmail.com> wrote: >I think there is a registry key for CRM website. Just concatenate >_Resources/isv.config to it and you will get the pa...

Find a value in a worksheet
When I run the following code I get an error on the Cells.Find line of code: Open strFile1 For Input As #1 Open strFile2 For Output As #2 Workbooks.Open FileName:=strFile3 Do While Not EOF(1) Line Input #1, MyRecord MyFields = Split(MyRecord, ",") For FieldPointer = LBound(MyFields) To UBound(MyFields) strVar1 = MyFields(0): strVar2 = MyFields(1): strVar3 = MyFields(2) Range("D1").Activate Cells.Find(What:=strVar2, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _ :=...

Function to find hyperlink URL
Hi, Is there function to return URL of hyperlink? I don't want to use macros. I'm using Excel 2000 Thanks in advance Nikola Milic >>Is there function to return URL of hyperlink? A worksheet function? Afraid not. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP But you could write your own (a userdefined function). I used ctrl-K (insert|Hyperlink) to create the link: Option Explicit Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String Application.Volatile Set Rng = Rng(1) If Rng.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then GetURL = "" Else GetURL = Rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address ...

Find First
I am having trouble making this work. I am trying to do a find in a subform. Dim rs As DAO.Recordset If Not IsNull(Me.Command33) Then Set rs = Forms![fAddGroupCat]![fAddGroupCatSub2].[Form].RecordsetClone rs.FindFirst "[Descr2] = """ & Me.Command33 & """" If rs.NoMatch Then MsgBox "Not found" Else Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark End If Set rs = Nothing End If Thank you, Steven Also: How can you tell it to start at the last record an...

'Find' Dialog
Hi I would like to set the default of the 'Find' Dialog to 'Match any part of field' Is that possible and how? Thank you, Samuel ...

Can find POP3 server but not SMTP?
Hi all I am having a problem connecting to an SMTP server with Outlook 2000 in Windows XP, it says that the SMTP server is not found and gives me a dialogue box to try and reenter it. The POP3 server is the same as the SMTP server (different ports), and it finds the POP3 server no problem and downloads mail, but when it goes to send mails, it tells me that it can't find the server (even though it just found it). Also I have tried pinging the server, and no problem there. I checked the ports - 25 for SMTP, 110 for POP3. I also verified the following settings were correct by comparing wi...

Lookup / Array Range / find the value
I have seen similiar examples but not that were not using exact matches to retrieve data. This seems simple and maybe I am over thinking but I have been unable to crack this nut. I have a table where the first tier sales runs between 0 and 20k and awards 1K commission. I want to be able to enter the salse result for various team members and obtain the correct commission amount based on their sales for the period. How should I complete the commission formula for this process? Sales Value Start Sales Value Stop Commission $0 $20,000 $1,000.00 $...

Trying to find out if I'm hacked.
I am a new Exchange 2003 admin and I'm trying to find out if my sever has gotten hacked. Here are the symptoms: 1. I am getting odd emails from senders liked Bounced Mail and stuff, saying that I've been sending out massive amounts of spam 2. My server is emailing me alerting me that store.exe is allocating more memory than normal. Here is what I have done this far: 1. Checked my server's queue to see if there are bunch of items, there are none. 2. Run my virus scan program several time and found nothing. So on the surface things seem ok, we are still sending and receivi...

Find duplicate cells
Is there a way to find all the cells with identical entry? I'm trying to find duplicate information but I don't know what the duplicate entries are. Find and replace does not have an option to find something like that. TIA, cpliu Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns94A16109E4C87chanciusliuDeleteThi@130.133.1.4... > Is there a way to fi...

boolean find criteria in Excel
Is it possible to set up the Excel Find and replace to find a or b or c in a cell of content a,b,c, etc? Thanks! Trent I wouldn't think so. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "davista00" <davista00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A20AE105-09AB-4681-AD60-60E08F0345BF@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set up the Excel Find and replace to find a or b or c in a > cell of content a,b,c, etc? > > Thanks! > Trent ...

Finding Merged Cells
Is there any (easy) way of finding a cell or cells that have been merged? I am trying to sort a (very large) spreadsheet but can't because Excel "...requires the merged cells to be the same size..." I can always select all and remove the merge - but I am wondering why there are merged cells - hence the reason for trying to find them! Many Thanks - I like the macro solution - it certainly works on a test setup - I'll try it on the real spreadsheet tomorrow >-----Original Message----- >Manually, you could divide and conquer. Select half the range, hit ctrl-1 (t...

Help finding Exchange Server or Administrator
I have been unable to use Outlook because I I can't access an Exchange Server or get an HTTP address from an. THese are the messages I continue to get, that doesn't allow me to move forward with use. Help! Do you have an exchange server account? If so, contact your email administrator. If you don't have an exchange account (or if you don't know if you do, you probably don't) then you may need to create a new profile. What version of outlook do you have? If you have an exchange account and use OWA, see http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/20030904.htm if you want...

Advanced Find 05-22-06
Hi, I would like to search for services details using Advanced Find and make/create a report with the resources information. For example... I would like to know the users that are working on a specified service? or What resources groups the user belongs and then make a report with that information. If i go throw the resource group area i can create a report with that information, but it doesnt include the user email for example. Any sugestion how this could be done? thx ...

Advanced Filtering: Find record with highest amount
How can I construct a criteria that finds the records containing the highest amount for each month? Example dataset: May, John, 100 May, Ted, 200 May, Beth, 210 Jun, John, 500 Jun, Ted, 100 Jun, Beth, 400 Desired filtered dataset: May, Beth, 210 Jun, John, 500 I know about the MAX function, butI can't figure out how to find the MAX at each change in the month value. Thanks for any suggestion! I don't know if filtering can help, but here is a simple trick: Sort the dataset by amount descending. Then use VLOOKUP to find data related to May. VLOOKUP will find the first MAY record...