can not install ac97 codec driver

i'm using win xp sp3. I just had to reinstall o/s. did all my updates.
Everything updated fine except the ac 97 codec driver. I also tried to use
the mobo disk and keep getting error, can not install. Any one have a game
plan for me?

Thank you.

Phil wrote:
> i'm using win xp sp3. I just had to reinstall o/s. did all my updates.
> Everything updated fine except the ac 97 codec driver. I also tried to use
> the mobo disk and keep getting error, can not install. Any one have a game
> plan for me?
>
> Thank you.

Is the AC'97 enabled in the BIOS setup screen ?

If you're getting an error, please post the text of the error,
plus any error numbers.

Also, if it is available to you, get the latest AC'97 driver
from the hardware manufacturer. For example, if the sound chip was RealTek,
you might be able to get it from the RealTek web site. For other AC'97 audio chip
makers, the search is a lot tougher, to find an up to date driver. Some of
those hardware manufacturers, don't offer drivers for download, forcing you
to go to HP/Dell/Acer/Gateway to find it.

    Paul
0
Paul
9/4/2010 12:15:42 AM
On 09/03/2010 05:45 PM, Phil wrote:
> i'm using win xp sp3. I just had to reinstall o/s. did all my updates.
> Everything updated fine except the ac 97 codec driver. I also tried to use
> the mobo disk and keep getting error, can not install. Any one have a game
> plan for me?
>
> Thank you.

If your sound is working ok

then don't bother with the update

As a general rule...do not use Windows updates to update H/W drivers

if there is some functionality the new drive has that you need
then get the update from the mfg
0
philo

can't resolve user names
i've just added exchange 2003 to a small business server 2003 network. The users were already apart of the domain. My problem is that i want to add them to the exchange server and i can not get them connected because when i hit check name it never checks out correctly. am i missing something. This is a fresh first install of exchange and i can get the administrator account to get email. I just can't get it to work on any users. In news:OGRukk%23QGHA.4608@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl, Andrew Mallette <Andrewm270@aol.com> typed: > i've just added exchange 2003 to a small bu...

Can't edit publisher_address_list after appending records with Acc
With Office 2000 if I create a publisher_address_list and then use Access to append records to it, I cannot use the Edit publisher_address_list feature in Publisher to edit or add records. Is there a setting I need to change? ...

Can't move from cell to cell
I'm trying to move from cell to cell with my arrow buttons but it doesn't let me. It appears the highlighted cell is locked and the only way I can move from cell to cell is with my mouse pointer. My arrow buttons do work because I tried it in other programs. Any help will be appreciated. Ann, Looks like you have Scroll Lock turned on. Turn it off with the key on = the top right of the keyboard. HTH Anders Silv=E9n "ann smith" <compcoff@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet = news:e6LPf$%23oDHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to move from cell to ce...

Can I split a cell diagonally, with text in each triangle ?
I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell diagnolly, colour each section and be able to type text in each triangle. Is this possible and if so how ? Many thanks Helen No it is not possible! (Now that I have said that someone will probably come in with a method) Youi could, however, make two triangles with different fills, and put text in them or make the fills partially tranparent and put text in the cells under them "Helen T" wrote: > I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell > diagnolly, colour each ...

can I disable the delete command for a file
Can I disable the delete command for a file? There's no functionality in Excel that could stop someone opening Windows explorer and deleting a file if that's what you mean -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Dr. Darrell" wrote: > Can I disable the delete command for a file? > > See "permissions" in Windows help. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:45:01 -0800, Dr. Darrell <Dr...

I want to set up a form in excel where I can place a jpeg or pic.
The goal is to set up an excel form where I can place a jpeg or pic. I am very low level excel user but this is a big deal document for me. What do you plan to do with it Karl? Could you give us more information? I mean... you can just use Insert-->Picture-->From file to insert a jpg. What do you want to do? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "karl" <karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:787A30AE-3809-4466-85DE-DA56A0E99616@microsoft.com... > The goal is to set up an excel form where I can place a jpeg o...

Shut down PC and Didn't save excel Doc, can it be recovered
A user shut down his computer last night without saving some "important" excel document. His autorecover was set to 5 minutes. How do I restore this document? Boris I doubt if he will find any backup to recover. Autorecovery is not the same as "autosave", which overwrote the original at timed increments. When Excel closes, the autorecovery file is deleted unless Excel experiences a problem. He may be lucky using Start>Programs>MS Office Tools>MS Application Recovery. See Help under "recover files". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 06:...

How can I make my document into less mb for email
I have created a document that is 143 pages. It will not send in email. I need it to be a smaller megabite version to send. How can I do that? Create a PDF. Can't guarantee it will be really small, but it should be smaller than a Publisher file. There are free PDF conversion applications around. www.primopdf.com is mentioned here. If you have Publisher 2007 there is an Office PDF add-in. 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP htt...

how can i format a date that uses "1st" or "2nd" or "3rd" or 4th".
how can i format a date that uses "1st" or "2nd" or "3rd" or 4th"... i am working on a program that generates certificates. i want to use dates such as "3rd of April 2010". when i run my program the words that appears onthe screen was 3-Apr-10. can you help me solve this problem? On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:47:01 -0700, cristin wrote: > how can i format a date that uses "1st" or "2nd" or "3rd" or 4th"... i am > working on a program that generates certificates. i want to use dates such > as &q...

Offline DB has corrupted, can't get back to main DB
Hi guys. We have a customer who suffered a powercut earlier today. When the power came back up, the offline databases kicked in for a while until a connection with the server returned. On one till the offline database was fine but when the connection to the server was restored, it wouldn't sync. It can be connected to manually in Store Adminstrator, but when we try to run a Check on it, it comes back with an error saying it's been found suspect and can't be opened. There's obviously something going on in the system that says before the main online database can be r...

Clean Install Documentation
Hey, i was wondering if anyone has seen online or posted their steps of SBS 2008 clean install steps that they prefer to get a system running perfect before bringing on clients...i've done clean installs on clients a ton and have little steps i take that make it better from the start, but am undertaking an SBS 2008 install and wanted to make sure i had everything going great from the start - specifically those little steps that are sometimes undocumented, like back in the day with SBS 2003 / Exchange you needed to do the registery fix to allow your mail to go to 75 gig...or the one...

Can this be done? #6
Hallo I want to automate 2 web query's with a macro or vba code for 1. a web site that changes the date in its internet address everyday and 2. a web site that changes the data codes in its internet address. I have used ["DATE?"] in my query but then it asks me manually to load the information. I want to use a cell with this information and let the query find it automatically, how do I add this manual function which ["DATE"] produces, into my macro or vba code. Thanks Anthon You don't give details, urls, etc. It may be easier to just send your file to my ...

How can I color every other row
Help please. I want to make it easier to use a large spreadsheet where two rows are used for each record. Filling in the background color of every second row prevents mistakes when entering data. I want to color only the used range, not the entire row. I recorded a macro and got the following: TheRange.Activate With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 36 .Pattern = xlSolid End With I really appreciate the help. On way: Dim iCtr As Long With ActiveSheet.UsedRange For iCtr = .Row To .Rows(.Rows.Count)....

Can't Open Item after Exchange 2003 Enterprise Install
I just installed a new Windows 2003 Enterprise Server with Exchnage 2003 Enterprise and some of my users have a problem opening some email messages. They get the error "Can't Open Item" Once they close Outlook XP SP-2, reopen Outlook and then try, they can open the email. This may happen to them 3 or more times a day. Any ideas? Thanks Brice P. Duffy Manager of Information Systems Mackall, Crounse & Moore, PLC bpd@mcmlaw.com What version of outlook? "Brice Duffy" <bpd@mcmlaw.com> wrote in message news:utKQV$$KFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... &...

exchange 2003 mailbox can't read new mail
Hi all I have a problame - My Exchange 2003 sp2 hase started to get mail but i can't see the mail , Ihave chacked the mailbox DB' IT IS OK, I did disasterrecovery, but the problam is the same, i can see old mail but not the new mails ? What can it be ? ???? <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all > I have a problame - My Exchange 2003 sp2 hase started to get mail but > i can't see the mail , Ihave chacked the mailbox DB' IT IS OK, I did > disasterrecovery, but the problam is the same, i can see old mail but > not the new mails ? > What can it be...

3rd party service can't start
I installed a 3rd party program on w2k8 r2 DC using "run as administrator". The installation seems to be fine. But I can't start the service. I think it's a security restriction. But don't see any event in the log. Is there way way to track why the service can't be started? Thanks. You might try; sc query "myservice" to see what win32 exit code is generated. -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.com/protect &...

Can't launch Outlook 2003
Outlook has been working fine until yesterday. It suddenly wouldn't open. I tried the fix of putting outlook.exe /resetnavpane but it didn't work. When I try to open it in safe mode I get this message: the extension configuration file "C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office11\ADDINS\msspc-ecf" could not be installed. There is an error in the syntax or format of the file. What should be the correct syntax or format? Any other suggestions? I'm running Outlook 2003 with Windows XP. -- Thanks for your help I would try renaming the file named msspc.ecf at...

This delegate takes ParameterizedThreadStart takes an object but can be called wirhout parameter
Hi! The delegate ParameterizedThreadStart is declared as taking one parameter of type object and returning void like this public delegate void ParameterizedThreadStart(Object obj) So according to the delegate the method signature should be void ParameterizedThreadStart(Object obj) In this example when I use the method ThreadWorkWithParam which is based on the delegete ParameterizedThreadStart and look like this private static void ThreadWorkWithParam(object param) { .. . . } I call the method ThreadWorkWithParam without passing a argument I just call is like this t1.Start...

Re: Outlook 2003, can it look like OXP?
The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay the way they are off to the left. -Patrick "John Smith" <etacr11inst@hotmail.com> wrote in news:e3LvfVUpDHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > The Preview Pane is now called the reading Pane. Go to the View drop > down menu, go to Reading Pane submenu, select Bottom. The layout will > be more like XP. The Folder List and the outlook Bar buttons will stay > the...

XP-SP3 How can I be sure to keep it.
I currently have a Dell Reinstallation CD for XP Pro - SP2. I recently had to use it and was able to reinstall Windows without any problems. After installation I used the Windows Update site to get all the current updates. I believe I've read here that after July, 2010 SP2 will no longer be supported. If I have use my OEM disk after July will I still be able to download Service Pack 3 from Windows Update? or should I go ahead and download the iso file from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en and c...

Installer
Help! I'm running Vista Home Premium and theres a glitch of somekind, whenever I try to download a programme and try and run it my installer seems to pop up in the way and says opening installer and then times out with an error...whats happening ? And what might the COMPLETE error say ,if you do not mind me asking -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "cooperman" <ralph_cooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u5Za$Ip$KHA....

Install tips
Hi, I'm flying blind and going to do a crm install this weekend. Any tips or advice? Thanks, G RTFM "gavin" <nospam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCEE8197.7FC%nospam@discussions.microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm flying blind and going to do a crm install this weekend. > > Any tips or advice? > > Thanks, > > G > Simple tip read the implementation guide and follow what it says. If this is your first install you may want to set up a test domain using virtualpc and do a test install on that setup before deploying on ...

Can anyone tell me how to....
Does anyone know if there is a function or how I can determine how many times a specific text is used in a spreadsheet? Example: I want to be able to enter a function/equation that will give a value of the number of times a certain "text" is used. I've created a large spreadsheet and now I need a count on specific items used in the spreadsheet. .........A............ B.............C 1....Valve1.......6"........Manual 2....Valve2.......6"........Auto 3....Valve3.......4"........Manual 4....Valve1.......6"........Manual In the case above, I'd enter text r...

Best way to install upgrade?
Hi: I currently have Money 2002 Standard OEM edition running on Windows XP. I have purchased Money 2004 Deluxe. What is best w3ay to install the new version, to avoid problems? Should I un-install 2002 version first? TIA Josh In microsoft.public.money, Josh Heller wrote: > >I currently have Money 2002 Standard OEM edition running on Windows XP. I >have purchased Money 2004 Deluxe. What is best w3ay to install the new >version, to avoid problems? Should I un-install 2002 version first? If you install Money 2004 into a different folder, you could have both version on the same ...

Can't open attachments #3
On all the e-mails that I receive that show they have an attachment (the paperclip to the left of their addess), when I click on the paperclip, the attachments are not bold and when I attempt to open or save the attachment, nothing works. What do I need to do? Hi, I'm having the same problem. I'm using Outlook 2000, SP3 from MS Exhange 2000. Attachments are blocked. I know this is a Microsoft Security issue, however I beleive there is a registry fix for this. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Marc >-----Original Message----- >Is this Outlook or Outlook Expr...