backup help

Greetings,
XP Pro, I have tried to backup to an ext hd thru the wizard and with
run...ntbackup.exe..etc.. and both ways, it freezes when I start backup.
What do you suggest?
Thanks,
JS

0
JS

haven't done an ntbackup
in a while because I use
disk imaging.

however, what you might
try to do is to create the
backup file on the hard
drive.

then copy the archive
over to the external disk.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"JS" <sivwrong@fred.com> wrote in message news:OqpHgo#2KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
> XP Pro, I have tried to backup to an ext hd thru the wizard and with run...ntbackup.exe..etc.. and both ways, it freezes when I
> start backup. What do you suggest?
> Thanks,
> JS

0
db
4/14/2010 6:31:02 PM
Thanks for your reply,
I tried backing up to C: drive (is that what you meant?) but everytime I hit
the "Backup start" the backup window freezes. How else can I copy to the ext
hd?
JS
"db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> haven't done an ntbackup
> in a while because I use
> disk imaging.
>
> however, what you might
> try to do is to create the
> backup file on the hard
> drive.
>
> then copy the archive
> over to the external disk.
>
> --
>
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> - Microsoft Partner
> -  @hotmail.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>

> "JS" <sivwrong@fred.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>> XP Pro, I have tried to backup to an ext hd thru the wizard and with
>> run...ntbackup.exe..etc.. and both ways, it freezes when I start backup.
>> What do you suggest?
>> Thanks,
>> JS

0
JS
4/14/2010 11:07:55 PM
what you might want
to consider is to use
a more reliable method
for backing up.

it is known as disk imaging.

look into the programs
called driveimagexml
and barts pe.

with dixml you can create
images of your disk in cd
size files then you can copy
them over to the ext drive.

my suggestion is to create
a folder on the hard disk
called DiskImages

then with the program
create the image files into
the folder above.

you can then copy that folder
to the ext disk.

nextly use barts pe to create
a bootable cd.

the bootable cd will give you
access to the hard disk in the
event of file system failure.

you can also copy the drive
image program onto the
barts pe disk and also install
the driveimagexml plug-in
into barts pe.

I'm sure the above methods
are completely new to you.

however, you can practice with
the above to gain a better
understanding of this
methodology.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
 - Systems Analyst
 - Database Developer
 - Accountancy
 - Veteran of the Armed Forces
-  @Hotmail.com
-  nntp Postologist
~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"JS" <sivright@nospamultravision.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your reply,
> I tried backing up to C: drive (is that what you meant?) but everytime I
> hit the "Backup start" the backup window freezes. How else can I copy to
> the ext hd?
> JS
> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> haven't done an ntbackup
>> in a while because I use
>> disk imaging.
>>
>> however, what you might
>> try to do is to create the
>> backup file on the hard
>> drive.
>>
>> then copy the archive
>> over to the external disk.
>>
>> --
>>
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - Microsoft Partner
>> -  @hotmail.com
>> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>

>> "JS" <sivwrong@fred.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings,
>>> XP Pro, I have tried to backup to an ext hd thru the wizard and with
>>> run...ntbackup.exe..etc.. and both ways, it freezes when I start backup.
>>> What do you suggest?
>>> Thanks,
>>> JS

0
db
4/15/2010 3:17:44 PM
In news:OqpHgo%232KHA.4332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
JS <sivwrong@fred.com> typed:
> Greetings,
> XP Pro, I have tried to backup to an ext hd thru the wizard
> and with run...ntbackup.exe..etc.. and both ways, it
> freezes when I start backup. What do you suggest?
> Thanks,
> JS

Have you given it, say, over two minutes to come out of the
"freeze"? It might just be too busy to service the screen or
keyboard.
   I also had ntbackup freeze on me once because of a specific
file corruption in a file I was tring to back up. But in that
case there was an error message that identified the file
before the freeze happened.  Are you getting an error message
at all?

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne

Help with InStr function
I need some help with 'converting' an Excel FIND function using the InStr in Access. Someone gave me the following formula that they currently use in an Excel file that I'm converting over into Acces, and for the life of me can't get the InStr function to produce the same results In the Exel file, they have the following formula in a column that displays a Yes or No: IF(LEN(PROGRAM)>6,"No",IF(ISERROR(FIND("COPY",UPPER(PROG_DESC))),"Yes","No")). Basically the logic starts with if the length of the value in the PROGRAM ...

HELP! Recurring message in Outlook 2010
To anyone. I keep receiving the following message and am unsure why. Any assistance would be appreciated. "your imap server wants to alert you to the following: 31(1032). That mail is not currently available" "Jocelyn - JYR Consulting" <Jocelyn - JYR Consulting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8750DAB7-8CB0-4481-A4FE-730B79DE1E32@microsoft.com... > To anyone. I keep receiving the following message and am unsure why. Any > assistance would be appreciated. > > "your imap server wants to alert you to the following: 31(1...

Need help transferring Outlook Express 5.0 email on PC to Entourage (Outlook) on Mac
Hi, I would like to move my email folders (particularly the ones I've created) and contents from my PC running Windows 98 SE to a new iMac, where I plan to use Entourage (the equivalent of Outlook in Microsoft Office for Mac). Does anyone have any tips on how this can be done? Thanks! "Linda Atkins" <spamhere@trip.net> wrote in message news:2c08ef0b-7082-46d3-9f28-ec8f90fb3e48@b1g2000pra.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I would like to move my email folders (particularly the ones I've > created) and contents from my PC running Windows 98 SE to a new iMac, > wh...

help me. How to delete a menu
I have inserted two menus in the standad menu of Excell and now i dont know how to delete them. Every time i run Excel the menus are there... View>toolbars>customize and just "physically" grab them with the mouse and drop them somewhere off the menu toolbars, then close the customize window -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "H. Lima" <hlopeslima@gmail.com> wrote in message news:47205095.0507031052.35d22f6f@posting.google.com... >I have inserted two menus in the standad menu of Excell and now i dont > know how to delete them. Every...

Think I need a MAX / MIN formula here (help needed)
Hi Again I need a formula that does the following A1 = 41 B2 = 39 C2 = 6 =IF(B2<A1),C2 BUT DO NOT EXCEED A1 Therefore this should return 2 Any ideas Thank you By the sound of it, you didn't mean DO NOT EXCEED A1, but you presumably mean DO NOT EXCEED A1-B2 ? You could use =IF(B2<A1,MIN(C2,A1-B2),"whatever you want if B2>=A1") If the answer you want if B2>=A1 is zero, you might try =MEDIAN(0,B2-A1,C2) but in that case you might want a further trap to deal with cases where C2 is less than zero. -- David Biddulph "Mark D"...

help !!! lost floppy 2 / 2 of my back up file
I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i don't have any and it aborts the restore process. Any idea, what can i do? In microsoft.public.money, Fife wrote: >I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, >Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? No. > >On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i >don't have any and it aborts the restore process. > >Any idea, what...

restore backup file
Where do I find my outlook backup file, and how do I restore it? I looked at help but it didn't help. polynomial5d Search for pst-files on your harddisk. Make sure you include hidden and system files/folders. You can the connect to it from within Outlook by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "polynomial5d" <polynomial5d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D3687CD-9190-4F2A-9351-30A63D3CE29...

Help! cant open any mail
We have a 2003 SB server and a problem seems to have arisen were it looks like email is arriving in the inbox but when you double click to open it you get an error message saying that the object cannot be found. This is not just happening to new mail all existing mail seems to be affected as well. Cached Exchange mode was enabled and this just moved the mail to the server failure folder under sync issues, but now it is disabled and I cannot get any mail at all. What has happend and can I get the mail back as most of it is very important. I have checked other user accounts and they are a...

Will not restore a backup file
I have just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Money 2003 but it will not restore my backup file. I have read through the FAQ about this but still cannot restore the file. I am running Windows XP Pro with Money 2003 OEM part of Microsoft Works Suite. Whenever I try to restore my backup file (*mbf) I get the error message "Cannot open the file, may be Read only or the Harddrive may be write protected - none of which applies in my case. I have tried both quick and deep repairs but to no avail. I always end up with me having to sign into my Net passport and that just leads me ...

Pivot
Can anybody show me how to create a Calculated Item in a pivot table? I have a field called CLASS with the following values: Stock, Sales, Order and Target. I would want a field that calculates Stock minus Order. As per HELP, we have to ungroup each item and enter the calculation. I have done that but have never been successful in creating one. Either the system hangs up or I get a message that Calculated Item should be of the same field, which was how I defined it. Am I the only one who is having problem with this? -- bchan ----------------------------------------------------------...

Help! fonts < 8pt not printing (XL->Ppt)
I have a graph I created in Excel I copy/paste it to Powerpoint The category X-Axis labels are just under 8 point I've tried arial and times new roman fonts I've messed with all the postscript settings No matter what I do, the small fonts come out as black bars- actually, if I look at it in the right light, the text is there, but it is printed in a black field- like instead of being transparent (white) the field is printed with black fill. I tried printing with PCL drivers, but then other parts of the graph don't print (it is even worse). I've tried printing to multiple prin...

Please Help #8
I use a spreadsheet at work (Excel 97) to enter data on a daily basis, in one of the columns I enter one of about six different notations (i.e. DST654). I need to do a 10% audit of each of these and need a formula to highlight each time the tenth one is entered. Can this be done? Steve Shipping wrote... >I use a spreadsheet at work (Excel 97) to enter data on a daily basis, in >one of the columns I enter one of about six different notations (i.e. >DST654). I need to do a 10% audit of each of these and need a formula to >highlight each time the tenth one is entered. Can this be d...

Filtering Combo box items based on related table field- Please Help!
Hi im stuck on filtering a combo box. I have users who can be assigned a category. Jobs can be assigned a category and also have a list of people working on that job (in the JobDetails table). I have the following tables: Categories Table: CategoryID (PK) Description Users Table: UserID (PK) Username CategoryID (FK on Categories.CategoryID) Jobs Table: JobID (PK) CategoryID (FK on Categories.CategoryID) JobDetails Table: JobID (FK on Jobs.JobID) UserID (FK on Users.UserID) Then in the job details when listing users for a job (many users can be for one job) i would like to only show the us...

someone help kenny
Outlook 2002 - i have a pst file on my FILE server, i share it with the wife, calendar, contacts ect... (of course we can not both be into it at the same time), is there anyway when i open that shared pst file on the file server, that i can get it to sync with my pst file on my pc? ...

Repost: Exmerge Help
(sorry for the repost -- maybe Friday at 5:00pm is not the best time to post) Hello: I am trying to use Exmerge to archive mailboxes before deleting or disabling accounts in the DSA. I am trying to run Exmerge on a Windows 2000 Server (SBS) via a TS session. [Note: getting the Exchange 2000 Management Tools to run on an XP box ran into a slew of errors.] Using suggestions from this list and elsewhere, I have done the following: - Created a new user called "exmerge" and put it in new security group called "Exchange Admins". - Exmerge is the only user in "Exch...

Help- I urgently need a workaround to a OL Task assigment bug
Help- I urgently need a workaround to a OL Task assigment bug Action: A Task in a personal mailbox linked to a Contact form in the Public folders is assigned to someone else. Result: The Task no longer appears in the assignor's Task List in customized views that filter in Tasks based on the Contact Form link (presumably because the Task seems to lose the Contact link from the assignor's perspective once it is assigned; however, the assignee/task recipient does see the Contact link in the Task) Question: Is there any way to change this behavior so that Tasks Linked to Contacts and...

Graph help
Hi all, i have been given a set of figures (monthly ones) dating back to Sep 04. i have put them on an excel spreadsheet and createad a line graph for 17 mths (sep 04 - jan 06). Is there a way using excel to find a "trend" or "line of best fit" etc. In addition, is there a way for excel to create a forecast for the next 12 or 24 months based on the previous 17 months. ANY HELP OR ADVICE GEREATLY APPRECIATED. -- jhill ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jhill's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Help w/ summarizing a mess of excel data from different sheets?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I really appreciate any and all help from you experts!! So here's the example: I have a mess of data sheets with sales numbers from a lemonade stand. The sheets list the seller in rows (Johnny, Bobby, Sue), and then have several columns for each seller listing what each seller sold: lemonade, coke, pretzels...and how many of each of those they sold. These sellers and their sales numbers are listed on several worksheets in several workbooks from different weekends and different seasons. I need to combine all this information t...

Access File/Directory Window (HELP)
I am trying to find either an add-in or code to automatically put a file explorer inside an Access form. I would like to browse thru a database table that contains a list of directories and the file explorer displays the contents (files and folders) in a form window. Other things I would like to do inside of the file explorer is double click word docs to open or move thru the directories inside of the file explorer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Mike Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm at "The Access Web". Note that that...

Help? #3
Take a look at this thread please! My family is opening up a food bank for a town in NC with many less fortunate people. We are trying to prepare a mailer but the tax roll is not exactly in an easy to use format http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=500160 -- usf97j4x4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ usf97j4x4's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30361 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500169 ...

Help sought on USB device.
Dear Sir, I am unable to open my pen drive's contents by double clicking on the device label. But by typing the device label on the windows explorer address bar, I am able to open the drive's contents. How to enable opening the drive by double clicking it. Thanking you and expecting your posts, Yours sincerely, R. GANESAN. On Mar 3, 1:01=A0am, R. Ganesan <RGane...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Dear Sir, > > I am unable to open my pen drive's contents by double clicking on the dev= ice > label. But by typing the device label on t...

windows help message board?
Hi, I'm looking for some help with something in Windows 2000 (I want to see if there is a way to protect files from being dragged). I've found some message boards, but they don't seem to see much action, and I was hoping to figure this out today. I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a message board I may want to check out for help with Windows? Thanks! -- blazon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ blazon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27409 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sho...

Help: Reformatting worksheet: paste special challenge
Hello: I'm trying to paste a single cell's text value into another. The original has multi rows (separated by the line feed). They are pasting into multiple rows. I want them in a single cell as the original. How to do this? Thanks, Germaine Paste into the formula bar instead of into the cell. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Bettergains" <Bettergains@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFE066CD-600A-462B-88DE-2677FA7512EF@microsoft.com... > Hello: > > I'm trying to paste a single cell's text value into another. The or...

Urgent Help For Outlook 2003
Im in serious need of help. The woman in charge of accounts where i work asked me to take a look at her outlook 2003 because it wouldnt start. It kept given an error and then option to boot into safe mode. So I go into safe mode and under the 'help' menu is an option to fix problems (cant remember the exact name). So I run it and it doesnt fix it. I run it a second time, only this time I tell it to restore settings to default (thinking this would just loose any folders she made and dump everything into the inbox). So after its finished fixing outlook, it restarts the program and then...

Please help??
The host 'msn' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'Fw: Welcome to Windows Mail', Account: 'msn', Server: 'msn', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D What does this mean??? Karen Simco;1238302 Wrote: > The host 'msn' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered > the > server name correctly. > Subject 'Fw: Welcome to Windows Mail', Account: 'msn', Server: 'msn', > Protocol: S...