"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr6" Error

OS: WinXP Home SP3

I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when opening
an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...:

"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive
\Device\harddisk\Dr6"

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.
--
JamesKB

0
JamesKB

On May 17, 1:40=A0pm, "JamesKB" <JimSPAM...@NOTSPAMres-xraynews.com>
wrote:
> OS: WinXP Home SP3
>
> I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when open=
ing
> an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...:
>
> "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive
> \Device\harddisk\Dr6"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your time.
> --
> JamesKB

Googling that message finds these threads - do these apply to you?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=3D5979

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-422494.php
0
Jose
5/17/2010 9:46:59 PM
JamesKB wrote:
> OS: WinXP Home SP3
>
> I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when
> opening an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...:
>
> "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive
> \Device\harddisk\Dr6"
>
> Any ideas?

\Device\harddisk\Dr6 is a truncated kernel name
(also called "DOS device name") of a disk device.
My tool ListUsbDrives shows it, so you can at
least identify which drive is causing this:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/listusbdrives.zip

To discover why this drive is accessed at all
is difficult.

If you don't need the drive then you can
deactivate it in the device manager.

Uwe

0
Uwe
5/18/2010 7:14:18 AM
In news:%23FrZEge9KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
JamesKB <JimSPAMNOT@NOTSPAMres-xraynews.com> typed:
> OS: WinXP Home SP3
>
> I've just started to get this error message randomly
> (sometimes when opening an application or opening Windows
> Explorer, etc...:
> "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into
> Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr6"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your time.

Very little info there, so here's the best I can do:
Run chkdsk on the drive.  Note: If the drive if failing, a chkdsk could
render this disk unusable.

Download & run the mfr's test program on the drive.

It's probably beginning to have bad blocks that chkdsk may be able to mark
out. But if more happen, the disk is going to be trash very soon.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne
5/18/2010 3:12:30 PM
JamesKB wrote:
> OS: WinXP Home SP3
>
> I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when
> opening an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...:
>
> "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive
> \Device\harddisk\Dr6"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your time.
> --
> JamesKB

The message is probably being caused by a removable device -

"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive
\Device\harddisk\Dr1" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137

MowGreen
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
MowGreen

"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr6" Error
OS: WinXP Home SP3 I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when opening an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...: "There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr6" Any ideas? Thanks for your time. -- JamesKB On May 17, 1:40=A0pm, "JamesKB" <JimSPAM...@NOTSPAMres-xraynews.com> wrote: > OS: WinXP Home SP3 > > I've just started to get this error message randomly (sometimes when open= ing > an application or opening Windows Explorer, etc...: > > &...