(MSCONFIG) An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service......

...You may need to log on as administrator....

OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the change actually
is made despite the error message.

This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not changed anything on
the
accounts set-up)

I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with HP printers
(weird)
and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more logical).

OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?

Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either keyboard or mouse
movement.

0
Colin

In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.9712@newsfe21.ams2,
Colin Trunt <colin@trunt.com> typed:
> ..You may need to log on as administrator....
>
> OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the
> change actually is made despite the error message.
>
> This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not
> changed anything on the
> accounts set-up)

It's a "bug" and has been there for a long, long time. You
already know the change takes, so you'll have to live with the
rest of it.

> I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with
> HP printers (weird)
> and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more
> logical).

Neither. Just how it's coded.

> OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?

Unfortunately it cannot be fixed unless a 3rd party might
offer something. I've never heard of a "fix" for it though.

> Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either
> keyboard or mouse movement.

That's another issue altogether.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne
4/6/2010 6:29:25 PM
"Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.9712@newsfe21.ams2,
> Colin Trunt <colin@trunt.com> typed:
>> ..You may need to log on as administrator....
>>
>> OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the
>> change actually is made despite the error message.
>>
>> This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not
>> changed anything on the
>> accounts set-up)
>
> It's a "bug" and has been there for a long, long time. You already know
> the change takes, so you'll have to live with the rest of it.

Well if it is a bug why have I never had it before?
Something has caused it and thus it can be undone, surely.

If find it rather unacceptable that there is no solution.

I mean presumable microsoft have the source code for MSCONFIG?

It must be simple to trace back from the error message back to the source of
the problem.

>> I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with
>> HP printers (weird)
>> and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more
>> logical).
>
> Neither. Just how it's coded.
>

>> OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?
>
> Unfortunately it cannot be fixed unless a 3rd party might offer something.
> I've never heard of a "fix" for it though.
>

>> Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either
>> keyboard or mouse movement.
>
> That's another issue altogether.

Another bag of shyte from Microsoft.

> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

0
Colin
4/6/2010 7:13:11 PM
"Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.9712@newsfe21.ams2,
> Colin Trunt <colin@trunt.com> typed:
>> ..You may need to log on as administrator....
>>
>> OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the
>> change actually is made despite the error message.
>>
>> This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not
>> changed anything on the
>> accounts set-up)
>
> It's a "bug" and has been there for a long, long time. You already know
> the change takes, so you'll have to live with the rest of it.

No I won't, I have cured it :O)

>> I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with
>> HP printers (weird)
>> and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more
>> logical).
>
> Neither. Just how it's coded.

Really could you provide evidence?

>> OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?
>
> Unfortunately it cannot be fixed unless a 3rd party might offer something.
> I've never heard of a "fix" for it though.

I have fixed mine.

>> Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either
>> keyboard or mouse movement.
>
> That's another issue altogether.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

0
Colin
4/7/2010 3:40:43 PM
"Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

> "Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.9712@newsfe21.ams2,
>> Colin Trunt <colin@trunt.com> typed:
>>> ..You may need to log on as administrator....
>>>
>>> OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the
>>> change actually is made despite the error message.
>>>
>>> This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not
>>> changed anything on the
>>> accounts set-up)
>>
>> It's a "bug" and has been there for a long, long time. You already know
>> the change takes, so you'll have to live with the rest of it.
>

> No I won't, I have cured it :O)
>

>>> I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with
>>> HP printers (weird)
>>> and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more
>>> logical).
>>
>> Neither. Just how it's coded.
>
> Really could you provide evidence?
>

>>> OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?
>>
>> Unfortunately it cannot be fixed unless a 3rd party might offer
>> something. I've never heard of a "fix" for it though.
>
> I have fixed mine.

Care to enlighten us?
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
4/7/2010 5:05:04 PM
"Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote in message

> "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> In news:IQKun.15067$pV1.9712@newsfe21.ams2,
>>> Colin Trunt <colin@trunt.com> typed:

>>> It's a "bug" and has been there for a long, long time. You already know
>>> the change takes, so you'll have to live with the rest of it.
>>

>> No I won't, I have cured it :O)

>>> Neither. Just how it's coded.
>>
>> Really could you provide evidence?

>>> Unfortunately it cannot be fixed unless a 3rd party might offer
>>> something. I've never heard of a "fix" for it though.
>>
>> I have fixed mine.
>
> Care to enlighten us?

Start in diagnostic mode then change back to your old configuration
untill the problem reappears, I amd still reenabling stuff and have not got
the problem to clear yet.

> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

0
Colin
4/7/2010 6:11:50 PM

> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>> No I won't, I have cured it :O)

>>> Really could you provide evidence?

>>> I have fixed mine.
>>
>> Care to enlighten us?
>

> Start in diagnostic mode then change back to your old configuration
> untill the problem reappears, I amd still reenabling stuff and have not
> got
> the problem to clear yet.

So you haven't nailed it down yet.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
4/7/2010 6:52:23 PM
On Apr 6, 2:13=A0pm, "Colin Trunt" <co...@trunt.com> wrote:
> ..You may need to log on as administrator....
>
> OK I get this in msconfig when making a change, however the change actual=
ly
> is made despite the error message.
>
> This is recent occurance, I am administrator (I have not changed anything=
 on
> the
> accounts set-up)
>
> I can't fix this, I read it could be something to do with HP printers
> (weird)
> and also something to do with anti-virus (sounds more logical).
>
> OK so any ideas on how I can go about fixing it?
>
> Also when PC goes to sleep I can't wake it with either keyboard or mouse
> movement.

You read it had something to do with HP printers?

You say you are getting this message:

You may need to logon as administrator?

That doesn't look like an XP message so maybe it is coming from
someplace else.

The next questions are:

What exactly does that message say.
Do you now or have you ever had an HP printer or any HP software
installed?

Here is my standard copy/paste to a message sort of like the one you
mention so if you come up with another condition or solution that is
repeatable and verifiable, I would like to add it to my information.

I doubt anyone in this audience knows how it is coded so saying the
issue is a coding problem is pure speculation.

If you can tell me how to recreate the problem on a system where there
has never been any HP software installed, I would like to know that
too.

Trying to change something in msconfig you get access denied error
(but the change works):

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a
service. You may need
to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified
changes.

If you have an HP printer installed, the problem is most likely the
HPZ12 service.

The msconfig changes seem to work, but the error message is annoying.

There is a possibility you will lose communications with your HP
printer if you want
to prevent the benign error message.  This may not be a problem if you
don't care about the
communications or never use those HP features.

You can also live with the message, knowing the changes really worked
or ask HP and
count on them to suggest reinstalling Windows for this or any problem
they cannot figure
out how to solve.

Depending on your comfort level with making system changes, here are
two solutions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4531999_fix-access-denied-error-using.html

http://pchell.com/support/msconfig_access_denied_error.shtml

Before making registry changes, backup your registry with this popular
free and easy to use
tool:

Jose
4/7/2010 7:17:50 PM
> "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message

>>> Care to enlighten us?
>>

>> Start in diagnostic mode then change back to your old configuration
>> untill the problem reappears, I amd still reenabling stuff and have not
>> got
>> the problem to clear yet.
>>

> So you haven't nailed it down yet.
> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

I have fix the MSCONFIG access denied error in that it has gone away.
So I don't have a problem there as I have all the services I want running
or not running as the case may be.

It also cured another problem regarding the PC not waking from sleep
I am trying to find which program casued that and I managed to het it
to occur again, well almost, what happens now it the PC auto wakes
from sleep and that seems to happen whether the program is enabled or
disabled. That may be further confused by the short timeouts I have set
and also the confusion as to the difference between standby and turning off
monitor and drives.

0
Colin
4/7/2010 7:40:28 PM

> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote in message
>> "Colin Trunt" <colin@trunt.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote in message

>>> Start in diagnostic mode then change back to your old configuration
>>> untill the problem reappears, I amd still reenabling stuff and have not
>>> got
>>> the problem to clear yet.
>>>

>> So you haven't nailed it down yet.
>> --
>>

>> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
>> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>

> I have fix the MSCONFIG access denied error in that it has gone away.
> So I don't have a problem there as I have all the services I want running
> or not running as the case may be.
>
> It also cured another problem regarding the PC not waking from sleep
> I am trying to find which program casued that and I managed to het it
> to occur again, well almost, what happens now it the PC auto wakes
> from sleep and that seems to happen whether the program is enabled or
> disabled. That may be further confused by the short timeouts I have set
> and also the confusion as to the difference between standby and turning
> off
> monitor and drives.

I just set it to standby after 2 mins and that seems to work although
it had two attempts at going on standby first time I tried it.

There maybe some complications but atm the wake up seems to be OK
and I have most of the set-up as I want it.

I will try a few changes and see if I can get the problem back but I will
do that more on a daily basis as I am sick of re-booting my PC,
as it stands I don't really have a problem as MSCONFIG is OK
and wake-up seems to work.
Anyway following my proceedure seems to cure the problems,
it migh be harder work getting them to reoccur than it was getting rid of
them,
and that was not easy!!!!!!!!

0
Colin

can't access public folders with OWA
Hi, I have Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003 Installed everything works fine, except when trying to access Public folders via Outlook Web Access, after going to the location its asks for username and password - this works ok and the folder is displayed, but when trying to add a folder or post a note or do anything I get: You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. I have tested on client machines, remote machine and the exchange server as administrator with no luck. does anyone have any...

How to correctly change security?
There are some computers in domain on which the user permissions are set as Power User, but I want to remove them and let computer to bring permissions and policies from domain controller server. I removed Power User from computer in Control Panel, but are there places where I must make changes? Is this enough? On Apr 14, 5:09=A0pm, girts <gi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > There are some computers in domain on which the user permissions are set = as > Power User, but I want to remove them and let computer to bring permissio= ns > and policies from domain c...

Protection error
Someone shared and protected a workbook that I created. I went to Tools>Sharing and unshared the workbook. Now when I try to make changes and save them I get an error that says "You must first unprotect the document". When I try to do this, however, the unprotect option on the Tools>Protection menu is not available. I have noticed that it says [Group] in the title bar. How do i turn that option off? If Tools|Protection|Unprotect Sheet is greyed out, you have to ungroup first. [Group] in the title bar means that you have multiple sheets selected. You can rightclick on ...

Using MS Access information in Outlook
I have an MS Access DBase that contains our companies contact information. I want to be able to use that information in an Outlook contact folder. I do not want to import the information into Outlook. I want it to be automatically synchronized. Is this possible? Mikeal ...

how do i calculate 10% of a total in an access query
I am working in access 2007 and have a goal amount that i need to calculate a 10% increase.. I cant figure out how to do this!! Increased Price: ([YourField] * .1) + [YourField] -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "confussed student" wrote: > I am working in access 2007 and have a goal amount that i need to calculate a > 10% increase.. I cant figure out how to do this!! On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:13:10 -0800, confussed student wrote: > I am working in access 2007 and have a goal amount that i need to calculate a > 10% increase.. I cant figure out how to do...

changing a custom toolbar
I have a legacy access database that i'm now working on in Access 2007. I have a custom toolbar set up in there (at least that is what A2007 shows it as on the Add-Ins tab of the ribbon). I need to edit that custom toolbar (menu). How do I do that? Karen Hey Karen, I have spent a lot of time trying to find examples to be able to edit a menubar from a previous version in Access 2007. Finally, I have come up with the following that works! I hope this helps: --- start code --- Function TweakToolbar() Dim cbr As CommandBar Dim cbrctl As CommandBarControl Dim cbrbutt As C...

how do i change days in a year to 365
How do I chage Excel's standard of 360 days in a year to be 365, for functions such as Days360 and other methods of figuring out how many days occur between 2 dates? The number of days between two dates can be calculated by direct subtraction. For example, if A1 contains 1/1/2004 and A2 contains 1/1/2005 and you enter the formula =A2-A1 in another cell, the result will be 366 (formated as an integer). -- Gary's Student "tripjules" wrote: > How do I chage Excel's standard of 360 days in a year to be 365, for > functions such as Days360 and other methods o...

How to organize access to PWA for external user?
I have Project Server installed in "standalone" configuration. Is that possible to organize access to PWA for CUSTOMER (person who play role of Project manager in customer organization) with observance of conditions: 1.CUSTOMER should have ability to have access only to those files, that regards HIS organisation. 2.CUSTOMER should'not have rights to change any data in those files. Thanks! from your question I understand that you want to provide access to external users may be they are customers , partners and remote users. First tell your Network Administrator...

Error Code :0x80040605
Outlook asked me to upgrade the Connector when i choose to repair, nothing happened except that my email account could not sign in and when i choose remove the outlook connector automatically removed. Troubleshooting Outlook Hotmail Connector - http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#hm -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Change background color of query results from access in worksheet
Hi, I have Excel 2007 and selected Date => From Access and then navigated to an Access DB and selected a query. I chose "Table" view. The query results now appear in my worksheet which is great. However, I want to change the background. Right now it alternatives by row between a light blue and a darker blue. I want the results to have a white background with black borders but have been unable to change the format. If I go to Home and select No fill for a color background nothing happens. Is there a way to change the query results? Thanks, Could be the r...

Faulting application error in excel
I have a PC that keeps getting a crash in excel. It repeats with the same error each time in the event viewer: Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8324.0, stamp 4bc93a36, debug? 0, fault address 0x000b035a. I have tried a repair install. A remove and reinstall. Along with steps to remove the excel profile. The crash happens about every other day and sometimes a couple times or more each day. Any ideas? Thank you, Jason This is a guess and may not work, but ... I've read (somewhere) that most causes of crash...

What is the basic format of a Access VBA module
Hello, I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question is asked before. Anyway, I came across somewhere that I have read before that before I exit an Access VBA module, I am supposed to clear the database or do something to free the database is it? May I know how it is done and why should I be doing that? Thanks! <azhu.uwaterloo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177681396.512608.194140@b40g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am almost completely new to Access VBA so pardon me if this question > is asked before. > Anyway, I came across somewhere...

outlook mobile access broken #2
I noticed this morning that my OMA was give ASP application error reports when a device tried to connect. I put it down to changing the installed .net framework at the end of last week - using the aspnet_regiis.exe command located in the C: \WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework directory, I changed from v1.1.4322 to v2.0.50727. So I reverted back to v1.1.4322 hoping it would resolve the issue, no all I get is a 404 page not found - even though there are files there - now I'm a bit stumped. What is going to be the easiest way to fix/repair/recreate this virtual directory? Any pointers would ...

errors with form or query acrivated
Just converted from Access 97 to Access 2002. Here's the problem: User defined expressions (may be only text expressions) or fields show errors when a form or query window is activated or deactivated. The query will not refresh. For example, we are having trouble with the SSN in the Grants database. We haven't seen the same problem in other applications, but we haven't specifically looked for it. To be more specific: The Object Form_ParticipantsToProgramCycle has a listbox which contains a last name and a user defined expression that formats the Participants SSN i.e. 1...

error message exiting outlook 2003
On exiting Outlook 2003, I get a message that says "The instruction at 0x7c910f2b referenced memory at 0x0bcd5c4c. The memory could not be read" Any ideas? -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com Does this also happen when you disable your add-ins? What is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Offic...

Access 2007 Attachments
Hi there, I have a form, with a subform. The subform has an "attachment" field. This subform is displayed in datasheet format on the main form. I have code on the main form ,attached to a cmdButton, that sends an email. I now wish to amend that code so that the attachment is attached to the email - if there is one. Dim App As Object Dim Itm As Object Dim strAttachmentname Set App = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") ' all str variables defined and represent values on the main form ' get the attachment name if there is one ????? (this is what ...

An OL folder has changed from Mail to Calendar
I have a user (using Outlook XP on WinXP, Exchange 2000) who has a folder in their inbox that contains emails. Last week he received an email which went into that folder, and somehow converted it from Post to Appointment format, so he can no longer get to the emails that were previously in there. I've never seen or heard of this before, and I don't seem to be able to manually change it. Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what can I do to get access to the emails it originally contained? Cheers, Gavan Blunt. What happens if you use Advanced Find? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Ou...

FRx Report Date won't change
We have a customer that has a GP Fiscal Year of 9073. Apparently, an AP transaction had accidentally been posted with a document date of 9073. So, in order to void that transaction, they created the fiscal year of 9073. Now, in FRx when they try to change the Report Date to December 2008, FRx changes the report date to December 9072. We've tried deleting the .g32 file and rebuilding the FRx GL Index. We've also tried deleting the SY40100 and SY40101 tables, rebuilding the Fiscal Periods in GP then rebuilding the FRx GL index but we still can use the 12/2008 date in FRx. Any...

Error while opening GP windows from BP
Hi all . I am getting an issue when we click 'Create Journal entries' item in the Financial Back Office Tasks webpart in Business Port4.0. "null-CWTSSession.openCannes:'oWTS' is null or not an object" I done a Terminal Server Setups as per the BP installation Document. Version Details : GP10.0,BP4.0,MOSS 2007 Note : I am getting this even for Administrator Login Regards Sunny Hi Sunny, A simple troublshooting steps: 1. Ensure that you can remotely access the server (where BP is installed) via Remote Desktop Connection (RDP). This will ...

why does wrord change the origianl date when I open a saved doc
I do not want word to change the date of a saved doc when i open it I assume that the reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate fields - ALT+F9 change { DATE } or { TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy" } to { CREATEDATE \@ "d MMM yyyy" } then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in your letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct dates. The switch \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location. See http://www.gmayor.com/stop_automat...

Runtime error #21
When I change users on my PC, and start outlook, I get a Microsoft Visual++ Runtime Library error with one of two messages, Runtime Error! abnormal program termination or This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. The second time I start outlook (for the same user) it works ok. This occurs consistently, even when I have turned off the computer before switching users. Anyone have this problem and figured out a fix? ...

Error on creating new quote from opportunitiy
When I try creating a new quote I'm getting an error. This action works on other opportunities, except for one. It's generating this error: Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unspecified error Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: ...

SPPS
Hi We have SharePoint Portal Server 2007 english version. Duo to our localizatino, we need to change it to native Slovenian language. Is this possible and what are the steps to do this? Regards, Miha ------=_NextPart_0001_F428B286 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Once a site is created you cannot change its language. You would need to create a second site in the alternate language. Steps to do this are located here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287692.aspx Note: There are a few blog entries and newsgroup posts that talk ab...

Supporting Access 97
Hi A prospective client has sent me a set of database files that he would like me to support & upgrade occasionally. They are all Access 97 files. When opening them, all bar one gave me the option of converting to Access 2003 format. Why did one file not give me that option? Also, I can only make changes in these new versions of the files, but they will presumably be useless to the customer unless he upgrades his version of Access. Is that right? Yours Database WUSS Hi Stapes, After you change the database, you can convert it back to Access 97 format ... make sure you use the Micro...

CHANGING LEGEND TEXT
I wish to change the text in the legend box from say- (Series 1) to (MPG) or anything that has a relevance to the graph. This was done easily in Works Spreadsheet and previous versions of Excel. Using 2007 Student & Home version. Hi, Select the chart and use the ribbon Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data On the dialog select the appropriate series and Edit. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "mareng" <mareng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CDF2E10C-04F5-411E-94C0-2504B48C1900@microsoft.com... &...