Windows 7 redirect, or what to purge/delete on a new Windows 7 laptop to be returned....

I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if anyone
could answer this question.

I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it. I've
mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any and all
records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want anything
from me on that computer when I return it.

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

0
Steve
6/3/2010 2:37:13 PM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Steve Mc wrote:
> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if anyone
> could answer this question.
>

> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it. I've
> mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any and all
> records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want anything
> from me on that computer when I return it.
>
> Thanks,

	For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.

	To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
hard drive and then re-install the OS.   You can do this using the
original Installation CD.

     If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
data, WipeDrive
(http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives,
and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.   There are also several freeware utilities available for
this purpose, although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards.
Google is your friend.

     Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
> Steve Mc wrote:
>> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
>> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if
>> anyone could answer this question.
>>

>> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it.
>> I've mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any
>> and all records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want
>> anything from me on that computer when I return it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>
> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
> hard drive and then re-install the OS.   You can do this using the
> original Installation CD.
>
>     If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
> data, WipeDrive
> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S. DoD
> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and applications.
> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
> friend.
>
>     Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Wow ! I didn't expect all that.

I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just websites
I visited and  my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
worried about.
Can those two tasks be easily done ?

Thanks,

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

0
Steve
6/3/2010 3:16:39 PM
Steve Mc wrote:
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> Steve Mc wrote:
>>> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
>>> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if
>>> anyone could answer this question.
>>>

>>> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it.
>>> I've mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any
>>> and all records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want
>>> anything from me on that computer when I return it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>>
>> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
>> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
>> hard drive and then re-install the OS.   You can do this using the
>> original Installation CD.
>>
>>     If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
>> data, WipeDrive
>> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S. DoD
>> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
>> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and applications.
>> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
>> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
>> friend.
>>
>>     Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot
>
> Wow ! I didn't expect all that.
>
> I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just websites
> I visited and  my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
> worried about.
> Can those two tasks be easily done ?
>
> Thanks,

	To repeat:

To protect the information and data you've specified from any future

> Steve Mc wrote:
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

>>> For this sort of question, the operating system is really irrelevant.
>>>
>>> To protect your personal information and data from any future users of
>>> less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
>>> hard drive and then re-install the OS.   You can do this using the
>>> original Installation CD.
>>>
>>>     If you wish to do a more thorough job of protecting your personal
>>> data, WipeDrive
>>> (http://www.whitecanyon.com/wipedrive-erase-hard-drive.php) meets U.S.
>>> DoD
>>> standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard drives, and
>>> could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
>>> applications.
>>> There are also several freeware utilities available for this purpose,
>>> although they don't necessarily meet the DoD standards. Google is your
>>> friend.
>>>
>>>     Otherwise, remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bruce Chambers
>>>
>>> Help us help you:
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>>
>>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>>
>>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>>> Russell
>>>
>>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>>> killed a great many philosophers.
>>> ~ Denis Diderot
>>
>> Wow ! I didn't expect all that.
>>
>> I definitely didn't add any financial or personal info, mainly just
>> websites
>> I visited and  my wirleless network key. I guess that's all I was really
>> worried about.
>> Can those two tasks be easily done ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> To repeat:
>
> To protect the information and data you've specified from any future users
> of less than average skills, you should, at the *_very least_*, format the
> hard drive and then re-install the OS.   You can do this using the
> original Installation CD.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Ok, thanks.

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

0
Steve
6/3/2010 5:09:08 PM
Hello Steve,

Here is a novel idea.  Bring up GOOGLE, or BING,  or ALTAVISTA, or YAHOO
etc. etc. in your browser.

Enter the following text:

how to delete any and all records of my surfing

Click till your hearts content.

i.e. ALTAVISTA
http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=how+to+delete+any+and+all+records+of+my+surfing&kgs=1&kls=0

Good luck
-=-

"Steve Mc" wrote:

> I can't find which newsgroup to ask the following question. So if anyone
> could redirect me to the proper newsgroup, I'd apprecaiate it. Or if anyone
> could answer this question.
>

> I've had a Windows 7 laptop for a few weeks, but I intend to return it. I've
> mostly surfed, but I would like to know what and how to delete any and all
> records of my surfing, etc. Also my logon. Basically I don't want anything
> from me on that computer when I return it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>

> Steve Mc
>
> DNA to SBC to respond
>

> .

Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE 7
Hi, Since installing IE 7 on the Exchange back-end server, I can't get access to any information in the public folders from Outlook clients. I can open the Public folders, but there is nothing showing in there... But if I add new stuff, the new item shows up in that PF. If I try the some public folder that are not replicated on this server, I can see the content... This is not a permission problem, since that has not changed, and has been verified... Any one knows what is going on ??? Thanks !!! ...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

hyperlink open in new window
How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_13.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: www.davidbartosik.com enter to win Pub 2003: www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx "sharin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2180BE5B-1783-4F9A-A167-D8E3BF34B3CC@microsoft.com... > How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? ...

New appointment, nothing happens
Hi, suddenly I'm no longer able to add appointments to my calendar. Nothing happens when trying. I also tried to sync my mobile calendar to it and it seems to sync just fine, but it will not add any new appointments. Any suggestions ? (outlook 2003, winxp pro) Thanks, Jorgen Sorry, just figured out the (possible) cause: I had a microsoft update pending, after innstallation and reboot everything is fine. Jorgen "JGH" <nospam@thanks.org> wrote in message news:eyVH5TpwGHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, suddenly I'm no longer able to add appointments to...

Why does workbook think deleted macro still exits?
I have deleted the macros in a workbook but each time I open it there is still a messge stating there are macros. How do I stop the message from appearing? Thanks Karen ...

Moving my Outlook files to new computer
How can I move my Outlook 2003 files (Contacts, Calendar, mail, etc) to a new computer? ...

New Project, Different Problem: AutoFilter?
I'm creating a database of outside trainers. Each trainer can handle multiple categories of training. It is essential that the training manager be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name. Rather than making multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach 10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a key for each category. It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db. Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since...

can't delete mailbox #2
I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? Wait until AD replicates then you'll be able to purge the mailboxes with the red Xs "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23fkHzmOMGHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I >can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? > Right click on Mailboxes in ESM and select Run Cleanup Agent. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange M...

how to get a fixed window with caption?
hi! which is the best way to get a window (dialog box) with captionbar but no posibility for the user to move the window? thanks philipp Try overriding the WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message to prevent the move before it happens. >-----Original Message----- >hi! > >which is the best way to get a window (dialog box) with captionbar but no >posibility for the user to move the window? > >thanks philipp > > >. > ...

problems with windows live mail
when windows live mail starts to download from my gmail pop account I always a box pop up saying "Internet Security Warning" dialog box "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value." "Do you want to continue using this server?" I click yes and it works, connects and downloads messages. Until the email client is close and restarted that is. Then once again on the first access the security certificate message is displayed. How do I get this to w...

Can't receive e-mails on windows mail
I have been trying to access e-mails and getting this message.? Any Help would be great. Thanks. I have re-done all the settings as per their website severall times but with no luck. Running Vista. Account: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported 3pf7420781ewy.51', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Follow the instructions in "How to use POP in Virgin Media Mail" at: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?...

Create a new instance of a class that is a reference
Hi all, I am trying to make a class that when you create a 2nd instance the second instance will be a reference to the first. Public Class ClassA Private Shared tableList As Hashtable Public myInt as integer = 0 Public Sub New() MyBase.New() InitializeValues() End Sub Private Function openTable() As Boolean If (tableList Is Nothing) Then tableList = New Hashtable() End If If (tableList.ContainsKey(TABLE)) Then SetReference(Me, tableList(TABLE)) OpenCount += 1 Else ...

incorrect audio track length returned from MCIWndGetLength for mp3
hi there i am using the MCIWnd* (ie Video for Windows) apis to play mp3 and wave files the MCIWndGetLength() macro is meant to return the length of the audio file, in milliseconds (to make sure this happens i call MCIWndUseTime() first) this works fine for WAV files, but the values returned for MP3 files don't reflect their duration in millisecs - what does it return for mp3 files? can i translate that easily into millisecs? tia bhu "bhu Boue vidya" <bhuvidya@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1154303075.383266.204890@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > > the M...

Child window styles
Hi there, i'll cut to the chase, i'm trying to change the style of child windows in my application so that they are independant of the windows setting so that my client area containing multiple child windows always has the same look an feel. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to look or start with this ? Regards Matt. Mif wrote: > Hi there, i'll cut to the chase, i'm trying to change the style of > child windows in my application so that they are independant of the > windows setting so that my client area containing multiple child > windows always has the...

VC 7.1: Preview DC
With Visual C++ MFC 7.1 when doing a print preview the Attribute HDC and the Output HDC of the CDC differ. Whenever a pen, brush or font is selected into this CDC via SelectObject an assert is triggered as the two HDC's do not match. This was never a problem using Visual C++ MFC 6.0. Is there any way to get around this or am I missing something blindlingly obvious ? Thanks, Brett Hi Brett, For the conveniece to investigate this issue, would you please give us some code snippet to illustrate this problem? Thanks for your understanding! Best regards, Gary Chang Microsoft Online...

Money 2007 add/delete Category
Is there a way to maintain my categories by viewing a list so easily add/delete categories? The Category maintenance in 2007 sucks.. I need to run through every single category just to delete one. Deluxe or Essential? If Deluxe, use the Account List More pull out, Categories & :Payees|Categories should show you all the categories at once and allow you to Move, Modify or Delete them as required. The pulldown at the top lets you see just Categories or Categories and Subcategories. "Vital" <Vital@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D4AAA91-6602-429E-915...

Please help with New Database Query
Newbie to New Database Query - Can you change a spreadsheet to a table if so how? I have a lot of spreadsheets that I would like to work with in New Database Query. Can this be done. Any help will be greatly appreciated. In general, if you select a range and give it a name....MS Query will recognize it as a data source: Example for data in Cells A1:Z500, with column headings (EmpID, FName, Lname, etc): Select A1:Z500 In the Names box (just above the Col_A heading) type rngMyData1 Press [Enter] Next, save your workbook. Then...Data>Import External Data>New Database Query When y...

Redirecting
Anyone know how to create a file which when opened by Excel 2003 causes it to redirect itself and open a second (csv) file? I know how to get a web browser to do this using http-equiv="REFRESH" but cannot do it within Excel. Many thanks T You can have a macro that in the first workbook that opens the .CSV file and then closes itself: Option Explicit Sub auto_Open() Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\my documents\excel\book1.csv" ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False End Sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://...

Delete Failure.
When I try to delete any number of rows or columns from a worksheet, by using the Edit/Delete command, the MS trouble dialogue/report box comes up and Excel shuts down. The funny thing is that it only happens to one particular worksheet (out of 7) in the workbook and no other warnings come up. Can someone explain this, please? ******* BBB hi, sounds like some kind of coruption to the sheet. what it is, i can't say. try this. copy the problem sheet and paste it into a blank workbook. try the delete again. if it works i would go back and delete the sheet in the problem workbook and r...

Cannot add new account to Money 2006
Hi all, I've bought Money 2006 std at last week, and first I've tried to import my Money 2000 file. The Money 2006 said that the file is not importable. OK. I've tried to create new file, which was successfully created, but I cannot add any new account. I've always got the same error message: The operation cannot be performed. Details: Product: Money ID: obres:34 Source: 15.0 Version: 15.0 Symbolic name: errUnknown Message: This operation cannot be performed. Reason Usually caused by a corrupt file. User Operation Run the Money File Repair tool to fix th...

Window 2003 x64
All, We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and other. Jamal I use x64 server 2003 with x64 Sql05. One of the big advantages is additional ram that x64 can address natively. You will need to get the x64 edition of SQL to run it, though. -- Gigabyte Tech "Jam...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

How to enlarge tooltip window
Hi, For some reasons I need to use tooltips by this way: *.H CToolTipCtrl tooltip; *.CPP tooltip.Create(this, TTS_ALWAYSTIP); tooltip.AddTool(GetDlgItem(IDC_SOME_CONTROL), IDS_STRING102); tooltip.Activate(TRUE); destructor: if (IsWindow(tooltip.GetSafeHwnd())) { tooltip.DestroyWindow(); } I have problem: I cannot to find way to enlarge tooltip window. In only accepts 80 characters and rest of my text in string table item is cut. I had tried GetToolInfo() nextly SetToolInfo() with adjusted rect parameter, SetMaxTipWidth(), SetMargin()... no success. Does exist way to enlarge...

Moving fields on extender windows
Hi! Can someone tell me how I can move the fields on the extender windows? -- Marisol Mortera Because of the way Extender stores data, you cannot move fields like you would using Modifier. You need to go to the Extender windows design and set up another field with the information. Then you will need to move data behind the scenes from the existing field to the new field. Alternatively, you could export the data; delete the data in the window; and import it. "Marisol" wrote: > Hi! > > Can someone tell me how I can move the fields on the extender windows? > -- &...