please suggest approach t save my stuff

I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
the current C drive onto the new drive?
What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
Thanks
0
timOleary
1/21/2010 4:05:41 AM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

20 Replies
564 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

timOleary wrote:
> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> Thanks



A new drive will typically come with cloning software or the mfg may 
have it on their website.

Open the machine and disconnect the drive you suspect to confirm the 
problem.

Then if the drive you suspect is indeed the one making the whining 
noise...yes I'd definitely replace it
0
philo
1/21/2010 12:47:11 PM
  If you had IDE hds,then xps own XCOPY would work,but dont think it does
 with SATA..With a faulty hd,download the WDC DOS hd check utility,install
 to a floppy,boot pc to floppy (maybe a cd version is available).Usually the
 simple scan version will pick up a flaw,otherwise use the extended one..
 

"timOleary" wrote:

> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> Thanks
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/21/2010 5:11:02 PM
"timOleary" <timothy.w.oleary@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> Thanks

Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
Make a complete image of  your drive, on an
external (USB-connected) drive.  If you need to buy
an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
investment, you can use it to back up your machine
routinely for a long time afterwards.

Check it with the imaging software (now is not the time
to find that you made an image with a flaw in it, which
could happen if there are any bad regions on the
external drive).

If you feel at all nervous, make another image on
your external drive, and check it too.

With the imaging software, make a recovery CD,
better yet make two, CDs are cheap and you want to be
sure.

Buy a replacement drive (bigger than the old one is good,
and gives you room to expand for little cost).

Remove the old C drive and install the new one.
Read the instructions that come with the new drive
first -- opening your computer up gives you the
opportunity to do all kinds of damage, such as
touching the wrong things without grounding yourself
to the machine, etc.

Using your recovery CD, boot up and recover the
complete image you made from the external drive.

Test everything to make sure it works properly.

If you had anything private or sensitive on the old
drive, destroy the disk in it (I use a little kitchen torch
to destroy data surfaces) before throwing it out -- after
all, it didn't completely fail and somebody could have
no end of fun with the data on it (such as stealing your
identity, pretending to be the owner of your copy of
WinXP or other software you bought and installed,
etc. at great length).  But don't be in any hurry to
throw it out -- work for, say, a few months first to
be sure all your programs and data are ok.


0
Anthony
1/22/2010 12:36:37 AM
Anthony Buckland wrote:
> "timOleary" <timothy.w.oleary@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G 
>> hdds.
>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>> Thanks
>
> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
> Make a complete image of  your drive, on an
> external (USB-connected) drive.  If you need to buy
> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
> routinely for a long time afterwards.

My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image 
backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external 
drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very 
long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install. 
I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!

Tom J 


0
Tom
1/22/2010 4:22:35 AM
On Jan 21, 11:22=A0pm, "Tom  J" <tomne...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Anthony Buckland wrote:
> > "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
> >> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
> >> hdds.
> >> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> >> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> >> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> >> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> >> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> >> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> >> Thanks
>
> > Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
> > Make a complete image of =A0your drive, on an
> > external (USB-connected) drive. =A0If you need to buy
> > an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
> > investment, you can use it to back up your machine
> > routinely for a long time afterwards.
>
> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>
> Tom J

I wish my kids would send me something for a change.

My drives are still working
so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
time.
I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
and what are the conditions for D/Ling?

I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
theough the s/w is gone.

Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
internal as opposed to external.
I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
backup sw.

messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
and reaching out for suggestions.
I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
Thanks for the feedback

0
timOleary
1/22/2010 5:49:09 PM
In news:C298388E-3FD2-4C29-AF52-4EDC0A261F79@microsoft.com,
Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> typed:
>  If you had IDE hds,then xps own XCOPY would work,but dont think it
> does with SATA..With a faulty hd,download the WDC DOS hd check
> utility,install to a floppy,boot pc to floppy (maybe a cd version is
> available).Usually the simple scan version will pick up a
> flaw,otherwise use the extended one..

XCOPY can NOT back up a sytem drive with operating system installed on it, 
while XP is running.  Xcopy will NOT copy files "in use" which there always 
are with windows.

The advice to download Western Digital's hard drive diagnostics however is 
excellent. It will evaluate the drive and indicate its overall health and 
whether it's healthy or not.

HTH,

Twayne



>
>
> "timOleary" wrote:
>
>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>> Thanks
>> .


0
Twayne
1/22/2010 9:03:20 PM
In news:e9ffce83-5d55-4256-adc9-2d68ee25fa17@l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
timOleary <timothy.w.oleary@gmail.com> typed:
> On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom  J" <tomne...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>>> "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
>>>> hdds.
>>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>>>> Thanks
>>
>>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
>>> Make a complete image of your drive, on an
>>> external (USB-connected) drive. If you need to buy
>>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
>>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
>>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>>
>> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True
>> Image backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new
>> external drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read
>> the very long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the
>> install. I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this
>> software!!
>>
>> Tom J
>
> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> My drives are still working
> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> time.
> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?

It's a full version, but time limited. Check the site for the time limits. 
In general there are two excellent choices for imaging software: Norton 
Ghost and Acronis True Image.  Either should work well for you.  I use Ghost 
because I like the exra bells & whistles that come with it, but Acronis TI 
appears to be equally good at the backup end of things with the exception I 
don't think it will clone drives.

>
> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> theough the s/w is gone.

No comment: The POST comes from an EEPROM AFAIK so how it could indicated 
anything about Acronis is, well, probably a misinterpretation.

>
> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules?

BACK UP! Back up your C disk as one backup, and then the D and any remaining 
data disks you may have. Be sure you have the Emergency Recovery Disk or 
whatever it's called in Acronis if you choose them, to boot from in case you 
have to recover everything from scratch.

 my
> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> internal as opposed to external.

That's normal, yes. Many PCs will not boot from an external drive anyway.

> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> backup sw.

Properly managed and learned, you'll no longer have to do that with imaging 
software.

>
> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> and reaching out for suggestions.
> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> Thanks for the feedback

New hard disks should come with software to clone the old, failing disk to 
your new drive. If it's not with the drive, and I didn't receive any with my 
WD drive, then look on the website for a free download to get it.
   Worst case, you could use your imaging program's catastrophic recovery 
boot CD to get the new drive up and going as long as you've partitioned and 
formatted it first.  That's where the mfr's cloning software is a big 
advantage.

HTH,

Twayne



0
Twayne
1/22/2010 9:14:30 PM
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom  J"<tomne...@earthlink.net>  wrote:
>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>>> "timOleary"<timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
>>> news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
>>>> hdds.
>>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>>>> Thanks
>>
>>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
>>> Make a complete image of  your drive, on an
>>> external (USB-connected) drive.  If you need to buy
>>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
>>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
>>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>>
>> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
>> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
>> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
>> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
>> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>>
>> Tom J
>
> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> My drives are still working
> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> time.
> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>
> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> theough the s/w is gone.
>
> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> internal as opposed to external.
> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> backup sw.
>
> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> and reaching out for suggestions.
> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> Thanks for the feedback
>

I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's 
going to have to run when windows starts.

I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a 
full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way 
it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much 
to lose.  ;-)

Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3&lang=en

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/23/2010 12:45:13 AM
On Jan 22, 7:45=C2=A0pm, JD <J...@example.invalid> wrote:
> timOleary wrote:
> > On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom =C2=A0J"<tomne...@earthlink.net> =C2=A0wrote:
> >> Anthony Buckland wrote:
> >>> "timOleary"<timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com> =C2=A0wrote in message
> >>>news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com.=
...
> >>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
> >>>> hdds.
> >>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> >>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> >>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> >>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> >>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> >>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
> >>>> Thanks
>
> >>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
> >>> Make a complete image of =C2=A0your drive, on an
> >>> external (USB-connected) drive. =C2=A0If you need to buy
> >>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
> >>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
> >>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>
> >> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
> >> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
> >> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
> >> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
> >> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>
> >> Tom J
>
> > I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>
> > My drives are still working
> > so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
> > time.
> > I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
> > and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>
> > I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
> > it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
> > everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
> > theough the s/w is gone.
>
> > Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
> > impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
> > internal as opposed to external.
> > I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
> > my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
> > backup sw.
>
> > messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
> > and reaching out for suggestions.
> > I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
> > Thanks for the feedback
>
> I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's
> going to have to run when windows starts.
>
> I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a
> full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.
>
> http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=3D119&wdc_lang=3De=
n
>
> Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way
> it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much
> to lose. =C2=A0;-)
>
> Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?
>
> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=3D606&sid=3D3=E2=8C=
=A9=3Den
>
> --
> =C2=A0 JD..

Thanks JD.
That link explained it completely. I forget right now the exact line
of text that flys by when I boot up revealing that Acronis is still in
there.
The AcronisWD is pretty new it seems. And there doesn't seem to be any
time constraint: it'll work indefinitely. seems like a pretty good
deal.
Maybe if the sw detects a non WD drive it don't work seems fair
enough.
 one plan is to get the Caviar Black 500G; partition it in
two.Download the AcronisWD clone my C drive over to the new drive, and
then see what's next.
I'll d/l the manual and study it for a while
Thanks again to all repliers
0
timOleary
1/23/2010 1:19:36 AM
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 22, 7:45 pm, JD<J...@example.invalid>  wrote:
>> timOleary wrote:
>>> On Jan 21, 11:22 pm, "Tom  J"<tomne...@earthlink.net>    wrote:
>>>> Anthony Buckland wrote:
>>>>> "timOleary"<timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com>    wrote in message
>>>>> news:d34c797c-10db-4be1-8b08-5ab068deabd9@33g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...
>>>>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G
>>>>>> hdds.
>>>>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>>>>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>>>>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>>>>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>>>>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>>>>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>>>>>> Thanks
>>
>>>>> Get imaging software, such as Acronis True Image.
>>>>> Make a complete image of  your drive, on an
>>>>> external (USB-connected) drive.  If you need to buy
>>>>> an external drive to do this, look on it as a good
>>>>> investment, you can use it to back up your machine
>>>>> routinely for a long time afterwards.
>>
>>>> My son just sent me a 2TB IoSafe USB hard drive and Acromis True Image
>>>> backup software. I just finished the image backup to the new external
>>>> drive and it went like clock work. A caution - I did read the very
>>>> long manual that came with Acromis before even starting the install.
>>>> I'm sure that saved me the troubles many have with this software!!
>>
>>>> Tom J
>>
>>> I wish my kids would send me something for a change.
>>
>>> My drives are still working
>>> so far I'm booting fine but experience says it is onlt a mattter of
>>> time.
>>> I see ACRONIS is a free download off WD site. Is this a full version,
>>> and what are the conditions for D/Ling?
>>
>>> I had a trial version of ACRONIS and I didn't like it, especially how
>>> it was showing up during POST. I bugged their tech support and did
>>> everything they could think of and I still get the line in POST even
>>> theough the s/w is gone.
>>
>>> Since I am dealing with the boot disk, what are the rules? my
>>> impression was the boot disk should be tnamed c drive and it should be
>>> internal as opposed to external.
>>> I already have a WD Caviar Blue 500G usb I use occassionlly to back up
>>> my D drive, but was using copy and paste and not ACRONIS or other
>>> backup sw.
>>
>>> messing with the boot drive is something new to me, so I'm hesitating
>>> and reaching out for suggestions.
>>> I am getting ready to order a Caviar Black 500G from newegg.
>>> Thanks for the feedback
>>
>> I use Acronis True Image Home 2009. Since it's backup software, it's
>> going to have to run when windows starts.
>>
>> I took at look at the WD version you mentioned and it appears to be a
>> full version of Acronis but it will only work if you have WD HDDs.
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en
>>
>> Why don't you D/L a copy of it, install it and see if you like the way
>> it looks. Since you still get the Acronis at POST, you don't have much
>> to lose.  ;-)
>>
>> Maybe you should also D/L the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows?
>>
>> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=3〈=en
>>
>> --
>>    JD..
>
> Thanks JD.
> That link explained it completely. I forget right now the exact line
> of text that flys by when I boot up revealing that Acronis is still in
> there.
> The AcronisWD is pretty new it seems. And there doesn't seem to be any
> time constraint: it'll work indefinitely. seems like a pretty good
> deal.
> Maybe if the sw detects a non WD drive it don't work seems fair
> enough.
>   one plan is to get the Caviar Black 500G; partition it in
> two.Download the AcronisWD clone my C drive over to the new drive, and
> then see what's next.
> I'll d/l the manual and study it for a while
> Thanks again to all repliers

I've never seen the AcronisWD software until you mentioned it, so yeah, 
I think it is pretty new.

I think the restriction is it won't work on non-WD drives but aren't all 
your drives WD?

Since you're hearing noises I'd do all this as quickly as possible but 
so quickly to over-look the instructions.  8-)

I've only used the Acronis clone function one time but there are options 
as to what to do with the remaining space on the drive you're cloning 
to. It seems like when I used it, it over-writes any partitions on the 
drive. Hopefully the manual will explain it better than I can.

While you're studying the manual, why not go ahead and order the HDD you 
want? I've had good luck ordering from both TigerDirect and NewEgg. In a 
pinch or a hurry, I've been know to pay a little more and go to 
notsoBestBuy. They're more expensive but returns are easier.

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/23/2010 2:45:18 AM
A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the 
instructions.

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/23/2010 4:00:39 AM
On Jan 22, 11:00=A0pm, JD <J...@example.invalid> wrote:
> A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the
> instructions.
>
> --
> =A0 JD..

It's sort of a bearing chatter. It reminds me of a sintered bearing
which has gone dry. the message that comes up when i boot is
"starting acronis loader, press F11 to run acronis recovery manager"
I'll contact Acronis to determine if this will cause an issue if I try
to install AcronisWD

I have too many hdds and not enough organization!
I got the two WD 250G SATA in the PC, another of the same model WD
250G SATA in a usb box tied to a usb router to share with my wife;
then i got a WD 500G SATA in another USB box, which I was using to
back up the D drive. for a while.

The AcronisWd manual says the SW will work with any WD drive, so I'm
OK.
I like Newegg over all the others, but TigerD runs a close second;
we needed a few PCs for my wife and daughter and Newegg doesn't really
do much with refurbished or recertified computers, but Tiger Direct
does.
Newegg has a pretty good sale on a Caviar Black 500G, so even if my
inventory of drives doesn't indicate that it is essential I buy yet
another, I think I will anyway.
I got to read the manual
thnks
0
timOleary
1/23/2010 5:15:10 PM
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 22, 11:00 pm, JD<J...@example.invalid>  wrote:
>> A small correction: I'd do it NOT so quickly as to over-look the
>> instructions.
>>
>> --
>>    JD..
>
> It's sort of a bearing chatter. It reminds me of a sintered bearing
> which has gone dry. the message that comes up when i boot is
> "starting acronis loader, press F11 to run acronis recovery manager"
> I'll contact Acronis to determine if this will cause an issue if I try
> to install AcronisWD
>
> I have too many hdds and not enough organization!
> I got the two WD 250G SATA in the PC, another of the same model WD
> 250G SATA in a usb box tied to a usb router to share with my wife;
> then i got a WD 500G SATA in another USB box, which I was using to
> back up the D drive. for a while.
>
> The AcronisWd manual says the SW will work with any WD drive, so I'm
> OK.
> I like Newegg over all the others, but TigerD runs a close second;
> we needed a few PCs for my wife and daughter and Newegg doesn't really
> do much with refurbished or recertified computers, but Tiger Direct
> does.
> Newegg has a pretty good sale on a Caviar Black 500G, so even if my
> inventory of drives doesn't indicate that it is essential I buy yet
> another, I think I will anyway.
> I got to read the manual
> thnks

You said you removed Acronis some time back, correct?

Have you ever hit F11 to see what happens? I'm not saying hit F11.

You could also go to, Start, Run, msconfig, Startup tab and see if 
Acronis recovery manager is listed. It should show you where the file is 
located. Some programs don't uninstall themselves very cleanly.

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/23/2010 7:26:03 PM
Pressing F11 on startup is the way you access Acronis
True Image without starting your OS, Win XP in this
discussion.  You can do various things, but the usual
aim is to start a partition, such as C:, restoration.  If
the disk is new or the data on it has been sufficiently
corrupted, you use an emergency CD instead.  Or you
wish to high heaven you had created an emergency CD
when you could. 


0
Anthony
1/24/2010 2:09:24 AM
Anthony Buckland wrote:
> Pressing F11 on startup is the way you access Acronis
> True Image without starting your OS, Win XP in this
> discussion.  You can do various things, but the usual
> aim is to start a partition, such as C:, restoration.  If
> the disk is new or the data on it has been sufficiently
> corrupted, you use an emergency CD instead.  Or you
> wish to high heaven you had created an emergency CD
> when you could.
>
>

I understand what you're saying but I thought timOleary, the OP, said he 
removed Acronis True Image so he shouldn't have the option to start it? 
That's why I ask if he had hit F11.

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/24/2010 3:07:28 AM
timOleary wrote:
> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.

Get an external backup solution.  The "Seagate Replica" is a good solution 
for most.

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
1/24/2010 4:34:39 AM
On Jan 23, 11:34=A0pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> timOleary wrote:
> > I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> > When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> > coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> > Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> > the current C drive onto the new drive?
> > What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> > I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>
> Get an external backup solution. =A0The "Seagate Replica" is a good solut=
ion
> for most.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> =A0 =A0 =A0MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que=
stions.html

Hi fellow forumers

pressing F11 does nothing
the only other manifestation that there still is a presence of ATI is
I get stopped while loading the new acronis wd
the message says newer flles already exist in the computer and nocando

i used the acronis removal tool,
i checked all the files listed in the manual un-install sheet. none
were there except
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.tib
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AcrSch2Sv
which i removed.
Also the was a discrepency the manual un-install sheet said
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman174"
but instead I found
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman228"
I left it in.
Also the acroniswd manual says it is possible to upgrade the acroniswd
to acronis home form the acronis website for money.
Acronis is around $30 on Amazon.
i read on some forums ghost is worse than acronis, but at my
competence level, i think my own limitations are the real issue not
the software

I created a new support issue # with acronis and will wait for them to
reply.
__
there are lots of forums with lots of folks complaining about having
probs with acronis: bad images, unable to uninstall, etc.
that's why i lost interest in it last year. but once again am facing
the need to create an image and also set up a backup procedure.



0
timOleary
1/24/2010 5:33:29 PM
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 23, 11:34 pm, "Shenan Stanley"<newshel...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> timOleary wrote:
>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>>
>> Get an external backup solution.  The "Seagate Replica" is a good solution
>> for most.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>>       MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> Hi fellow forumers
>
> pressing F11 does nothing
> the only other manifestation that there still is a presence of ATI is
> I get stopped while loading the new acronis wd
> the message says newer flles already exist in the computer and nocando
>
> i used the acronis removal tool,
> i checked all the files listed in the manual un-install sheet. none
> were there except
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.tib
> and
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AcrSch2Sv
> which i removed.
> Also the was a discrepency the manual un-install sheet said
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman174"
> but instead I found
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman228"
> I left it in.
> Also the acroniswd manual says it is possible to upgrade the acroniswd
> to acronis home form the acronis website for money.
> Acronis is around $30 on Amazon.
> i read on some forums ghost is worse than acronis, but at my
> competence level, i think my own limitations are the real issue not
> the software
>
> I created a new support issue # with acronis and will wait for them to
> reply.
> __
> there are lots of forums with lots of folks complaining about having
> probs with acronis: bad images, unable to uninstall, etc.
> that's why i lost interest in it last year. but once again am facing
> the need to create an image and also set up a backup procedure.
>
>
>

Acronis has a free trial period:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

I don't know how long the trial period is.

Should be long enough for you to install, try a clone of the HDD and see 
if that works?

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/24/2010 6:33:38 PM
On Jan 24, 1:33=A0pm, JD <J...@example.invalid> wrote:
> timOleary wrote:
> > On Jan 23, 11:34 pm, "Shenan Stanley"<newshel...@gmail.com> =A0wrote:
> >> timOleary wrote:
> >>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
> >>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
> >>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
> >>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
> >>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
> >>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
> >>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>
> >> Get an external backup solution. =A0The "Seagate Replica" is a good so=
lution
> >> for most.
>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> =A0 =A0 =A0 MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-=
questions.html
>
> > Hi fellow forumers
>
> > pressing F11 does nothing
> > the only other manifestation that there still is a presence of ATI is
> > I get stopped while loading the new acronis wd
> > the message says newer flles already exist in the computer and nocando
>
> > i used the acronis removal tool,
> > i checked all the files listed in the manual un-install sheet. none
> > were there except
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.tib
> > and
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AcrSch2Sv
> > which i removed.
> > Also the was a discrepency the manual un-install sheet said
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman174"
> > but instead I found
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman228"
> > I left it in.
> > Also the acroniswd manual says it is possible to upgrade the acroniswd
> > to acronis home form the acronis website for money.
> > Acronis is around $30 on Amazon.
> > i read on some forums ghost is worse than acronis, but at my
> > competence level, i think my own limitations are the real issue not
> > the software
>
> > I created a new support issue # with acronis and will wait for them to
> > reply.
> > __
> > there are lots of forums with lots of folks complaining about having
> > probs with acronis: bad images, unable to uninstall, etc.
> > that's why i lost interest in it last year. but once again am facing
> > the need to create an image and also set up a backup procedure.
>
> Acronis has a free trial period:
>
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>
> I don't know how long the trial period is.
>
> Should be long enough for you to install, try a clone of the HDD and see
> if that works?
>
> --
> =A0 JD..

this is correct. but
If and when Acronis responds to my issue, maybe I can find the files
that are hiding and proceed with installing acronisWD. BTW I didn't
see anything in processes that seemed to be associated with Acronis.

0
timOleary
1/25/2010 4:02:25 AM
timOleary wrote:
> On Jan 24, 1:33 pm, JD<J...@example.invalid>  wrote:
>> timOleary wrote:
>>> On Jan 23, 11:34 pm, "Shenan Stanley"<newshel...@gmail.com>    wrote:
>>>> timOleary wrote:
>>>>> I use Windows XP pro. My PC has two WD SE16 WD2500KS SATA 250G hdds.
>>>>> When I start the PC in the morning I am hearing a whirring noise
>>>>> coming out of the PC and I think it is the C drive.
>>>>> Where can I read up on how to add a drive, and mirror everything on
>>>>> the current C drive onto the new drive?
>>>>> What is a smart choice in an enterprise grade HDD?
>>>>> I am thinking the warranty has expired on the drives.
>>
>>>> Get an external backup solution.  The "Seagate Replica" is a good solution
>>>> for most.
>>
>>>> --
>>>> Shenan Stanley
>>>>        MS-MVP
>>>> --
>>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>> Hi fellow forumers
>>
>>> pressing F11 does nothing
>>> the only other manifestation that there still is a presence of ATI is
>>> I get stopped while loading the new acronis wd
>>> the message says newer flles already exist in the computer and nocando
>>
>>> i used the acronis removal tool,
>>> i checked all the files listed in the manual un-install sheet. none
>>> were there except
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\.tib
>>> and
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AcrSch2Sv
>>> which i removed.
>>> Also the was a discrepency the manual un-install sheet said
>>> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman174"
>>> but instead I found
>>> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tdrpman228"
>>> I left it in.
>>> Also the acroniswd manual says it is possible to upgrade the acroniswd
>>> to acronis home form the acronis website for money.
>>> Acronis is around $30 on Amazon.
>>> i read on some forums ghost is worse than acronis, but at my
>>> competence level, i think my own limitations are the real issue not
>>> the software
>>
>>> I created a new support issue # with acronis and will wait for them to
>>> reply.
>>> __
>>> there are lots of forums with lots of folks complaining about having
>>> probs with acronis: bad images, unable to uninstall, etc.
>>> that's why i lost interest in it last year. but once again am facing
>>> the need to create an image and also set up a backup procedure.
>>
>> Acronis has a free trial period:
>>
>> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>>
>> I don't know how long the trial period is.
>>
>> Should be long enough for you to install, try a clone of the HDD and see
>> if that works?
>>
>> --
>>    JD..
>
> this is correct. but
> If and when Acronis responds to my issue, maybe I can find the files
> that are hiding and proceed with installing acronisWD. BTW I didn't
> see anything in processes that seemed to be associated with Acronis.
>

Patience is a virtue.

Let us know how this all works out.

-- 
  JD..
0
JD
1/25/2010 4:25:30 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

suggest names (outlook 2002)
in the autocomplete function, is there a way to access the database? I've got old addresses in there that I used once a year ago causing a drop-down list when I've only got one matching entry in my address book... so what I'd like to do is either clear it out completely or at least delete the obsolete entries, I've looked in the registry and it isn't there... any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! --John Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to...

IE8 won't remember passwords
autocomplete is not working. It prompts me to save the passwords i enter, but will not remember or complete them when i go back to those sites that have saved passwords "Dieselsmoke" <Dieselsmoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EED944EE-F1DD-429B-82D5-0F430E8F717F@microsoft.com... > autocomplete is not working. It prompts me to save the passwords i enter, > but > will not remember or complete them when i go back to those sites that have > saved passwords Sites can disable that. ...

XP-Theme won't fill the whole background in my app
I try to use WinXP Visual styles in my app. I did what the instruction tells in this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp It went well except for one thing: The background was not colored in the bottom. On the bottom, the background color was white. It should have been light gray. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance :) Kjetil Salomonsen wrote: > I try to use WinXP Visual styles in my app. I did what the instruction > tells in this link: > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?...

Don't know how to synch my Sent Items folder w/web?
I just started using Outlook to manage my email for my work account. I used to log into a web portal to manage my email anywhere, which I liked. I'm trying to use Outlook, but still want to be able to access my emails from the web elsewhere if need be. I checked the box to leave my emails on the server, but I can't figure out how to get copies of my SENT messages to be saved on the email server. Is there a way I can get Outlook to sync up my Inbox AND my Sent Items folder whenever I click the "Send/Receive" button? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank yo...

Aren?t Computers Interesting??
This is a very cool group you have going here. I find it quite interesting how computers behave at times. Sometimes you wonder if they have a mind of their own or not. These posts are quite interesting and educational for me ? I?ve learned a bit about the errors that can occur. Scan your computer for ErrorsFor Free!http:// errors.www-marketingpros.com Rheachdynzpmkz@gmail.com <Rheachdynzpmkz@gmail.com> wrote: > This is a very cool group you have going here. I find it quite > interesting how computers behave at times. Sometimes you wonder if > they have a mind of their own o...

OWA
I have one computer that when trying to access exchange 2003 via OWA the messages are not listed. The message count is correct and all folders are there and visible but no message list or anything in the reading pane. Anybody have a fix? Are there no replies to this? I've found several others asking the same question here and getting no answers at all. EX2K3 on Win2K3 enterprise server, problem seems to be a client one as the same mailbox can successfully be accessed from other computers and this computer has same behaviour for all mailboxes. >-----Original Message----- >I ...

Password Protection doesn't interop between Office for Window and Office for Mac 2004
I have an excel file that was created in Office for Windows and certain cells were password protected. When I open that same file with excel for Mac the password protection doesn't work. I tried tools>unprotect> .... I plug in the password and no luck. When I open that same excel file with another windows machine with Office for windows I'm able to access the protected cells after entering the password. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for office for mac? I'll be forced to buy a windows version of office which would make the mac version useless. I'm currently r...

Please Help: Toolbars in DLL Dialog
Hello, Creating toolbars in an EXE app is a relative piece of cake. However, I am trying to insert a toolbar into a DLL dialog. This is how my DLL dialog works: 1) Contents of a function exporting a dialog AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()); CSvg* dlg; try { dlg = new CSvg(); dlg->Create(IDD_MAIN_FRAME); dlg->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); } catch (CSvg *dlg) { dlg->PostNcDestroy(); delete dlg; } 2) Use a function in my Dialog class to insert a toolbar: int CSvg::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { if (CDialog::OnCreate(lpCreateStruct) == -1) return -...

Why didn't .net 2003 fix known bug
Close to a year ago I asked about a problem I was having where a CDateTime control using the Time format would change to the Date format by itself. I was told this was a known bug. That was with .net 2002. I just upgraded to .net 2003, that bug being one of the reasons, and found it still exists. This is very frustrating. Is there anything that can be done when such a problem persists? I'm using the standard version so I do not have the ability to report bugs, unless I want to pay first of course. And having to pay to report a known problem just rubs me the wrong way. On...

I can copy but won't paste
I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would only paste the same txt over and over, not allowing new txt copied to be paste. Now I cant paste at all. It will copy but when I click paste it does nothing, help! This could be a poorly designed add-in interfering with copy and paste operations. Did you install something recently? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Sarlou" <Sarlou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E5E33F7-2387-4DBC-809E-AA97F930CEF5@microsoft.com... >I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would o...

NEED HELP-wrong formatting saved ??
After using word 2007 and saving a word file, it changed the formatting from the previous file (i think it was .wps microsoft works word processor) and now its all messed up.....I think I saved it in some other wrong encoding standard......now, whenever I open this file now half of it is in some weird looking unreadable characters....like this with wha捬屨捦ㅳ尠晡‰汜牴档晜獣‰歜牥楮杮尰扤档慜㍦㔱㔰楜獮獲摩㌱ㄳ〶‷਍灜牡素筽⩜灜獮捥癬ㅬ灜畮牣屭湰瑳牡ㅴ灜楮摮湥㝴〲灜桮湡⁧屻湰硴慴ges! That is what seems to happen once the system breaks its laws from the inside. ......couldnt find online solutions...does anyone have any suggestions or s...

Can't get past "Unable to Create the log path" when restoring
Hi. This is driving me nuts. We are running Exchange 2003. I have created a Recovery Storage Group and am trying to restore to it from an online (ntbackup) backup, but can't get past the message "Unable to Create the log path. Check to insure that it is a valid path" message when I hit the "Restore Now" button and fill out the information on where to restore to (the server with my recovery storage group on it - TESTDCEXCH) and the location for my log and patch files (e:\Rest_Log). History is: Exchange knows our production server as EXCHANGE Exchange knows the...

Can't connect after updates.
I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. Anyone one else have this problem? I am actually experiencing the same issue. I just installed, it said that there were updates available which I installed and now I can not connect from within money... I am using vista, not sure if that is part of the problem or not... "Jakryk" wrote: > I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. > Anyone one else have this problem? I'm using Vista also. I've reinstalled Money and I cancel the updates. It happen...

DoCmd.Quit Error "The command or action 'Quit' isn't available now
Hi I need to exit an application if the user closes a certain form in the adp and am trying to do this via the unload method. basically there can be various instances of this form but if one instance is a certain one then it must close the whole application. If have tried in a blank database by putting DoCmd.Quit in the unload method of a form and that works so there must be somthing running that is causing this not to work in my adp. I have also tried putting a button on the form in my adp just to see if putting DoCmd.Quit in the click event would work and it did but this is of no us...

Selecting Pics in Explorer, then "Send via e-mail" doesn't work...
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I haven't found it in a search. I'm running Outlook 2007 and it worked fine with XP - since I've upgraded to Windows 7, I can't select *any* files in explorer and send them via e-mail. Nothing happens, then I can't get Outlook to start under any circumstance unless I reboot. I need to create a new e-mail, then select the files...and it works fine, but it's a giant PITA. Any help: Sounds like it is caused by a corruption or an incompatible add-in. Which add-ins do you have installed? Tools-> Trust Center-&g...

Money 2004 Standar can't convert Money 2000 Delux File
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy It. I used to have a Money 2000 Delux version. When I try to convert my data file (from Money 200), the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot covert the file. The older varsion is not supported" Is there any way I can convert my Money 2000 Delux file into a Money 2004 Standar file? Thanks, Fernando S. ...

Can't get newsgroup messages posted by self
I have a weird issue with Windows Live Mail concerting synchronizing messages from newsgroups. If I post a message to the Microsoft private newsgroups (privatenews.microsoft.com), I don't see the post but I can see new posts by other users. If I use Outlook Express on Windows XP, I see my posts. I don't have problems with WLM synchronizing my hotmail e-mail. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this issue? "Teo Lachev" <TeoLachev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65458221-D220-47D9-95E3-A9B593424714@microsoft.com... > I have a weird issu...

Average & eliminating zero value Need HELP !! PLEASE
In cell C4 im calculating average hours for D5:D65 of all employees In cells Z5:Z65 If L is entered means laid off In cells AB5:AB65 IS AVERAGE OF ALL EMPOLYEES HOURS in cells D5:D65 if L is entered in Z Column In cells D5:D65 IS all employees hours FORMULA FOR C4 IS {=AVERAGE(IF(ISNUMBER(D5:D65),IF(D5:D65>0,D5:D65,0)))} Formula for cells AB5:AB65 IS =IF(Z5="L",R4,"") Formula for D5:D65 IS =IF(Z5>0,0,IF(B5="","",AA5+SUM(E5:J5)*1.5+K5*2)) I want to average all employees hours except if L is entered in Z Column so say 65 empl...

*CANT log into Windows -please help
Hi, I need step by step instructions on how to use my recovery console CD in order to fix a problem. Here is my prob: A virus/malware scan I did probably messed up my logon file. The antivrus program either removed or quaranteined the virus/trojan that was attached to my logon file. Because when AVG prompted me to reboot after this scan, It stopped at the welcome screen logon part. I click on my user name (only one there) and it says its logging on...But then it says saving settings and nothing else happens. My machine does not reboot or anything. It just stays at this logon sc...

why Can't i open a .eml attachment
I think that EML files need either Outlook Express or Windows Mail to open. Normally those are installed on a system. If you save the file to your hard drive can you double-click on it to open it? "steved25" <steved25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9CC357B-D502-4776-AAB7-6EE325F59758@microsoft.com... > what happens when you try? do you have google desktop search installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.s...

can't delete DLL
Hi, I wrote a very simple dll and through VC++ debug, I can see it has already call destroy() when my host program exit; But I find I can't delete it in folder. it maybe means it is still in use. but I have already free it. Anyone can give a clue, where's my problem? I use XP + VC++. BOOL init() { return true; } static void a() { } static void b() {} void destroy() { } BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HINSTANCE hInst, DWORD fdwReason, LPVOID lpvReserved) { if (fdwReason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH) return init(hInst); if (fdwReason == DLL_PROCESS_DETACH) destroy(); return TRUE; } ...

Address Book won't autocomplete b/c of Fax #s
With my upgrade to 2002, the address book won't autocomplete from a Contact name when I type it into the TO: field. In my address book I know how 2 entries for every contact that I've added a fax # to. Anyone know how to force Outlook to look only at EMAIL addresses when I type a name into an address field for email, or do I have to go thru the Address Book pop-up EVERYTIME I want to send a new message? :( Austin atr85882@yahoo.com See http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/nofax.htm Austin Reeves wrote: > With my upgrade to 2002, the address book won't > autocomplete...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a nice, functioning bar chart that has 2 data fields: ACTUAL and BUDGET. <br><br>Actual is on one axis and Budget is on the 2nd axis. <br><br>These charts look nice side by side but I want one bar to be partly behind the other. <br><br>So, I select a data set. <br> Choose Format Data Series <br> Options <br> Overlap... (and no matter what value I choose, I can't overlap)???? <br><br>But, if I can adjust the Gap Width. <br><...

media player won't let me play certain DVD
Media player only lets me watch certain DVDs and tells me that I can't play some DVDS because they are copy write protected. I don't understand why copy write protection should determine if I can view a DVD. ...

attachment greyed out and can't open
In Outlook, when I receive an email with an attachment, the attachment is greyed out and it says that OE has blocked the attachment. Is there a security checkbox or something that can be reset so I can receive my attachments? open outlook express and select tools | options | security tab. uncheck the second box from the top concerning attachments. "Paula" <paula@wsadvantage.com> wrote in message news:0c6901c36bcc$98b7ab20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > In Outlook, when I receive an email with an attachment, > the attachment is greyed out and it says that OE has > blocke...