Newsgroup for Windows 7

Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?

I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
location.

I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.

I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm

On 14/06/2010 12:16, Steve Hayes wrote:
> Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>
> I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
> location.
>
> I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.
>
> I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.

No newsgroups for Win 7, I am afraid. You will need to ask your question
at the appropriate Forum.

Select the one you need from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

I despise Forums. So, good luck!
0
occam
6/14/2010 11:40:50 AM
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:40:50 +0200, occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On 14/06/2010 12:16, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>>
>> I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
>> location.
>>
>> I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.
>>
>> I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.
>>

>No newsgroups for Win 7, I am afraid. You will need to ask your question
>at the appropriate Forum.
>
>Select the one you need from here:
>http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>
>I despise Forums. So, good luck!

Well a newsgroup is a kind of forum, but if it's a web-interface forum it's
very difficult to know or find out when anyone has answered a question. I
usually forget to look, and then when I remember to look I can't find the
place again.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
Steve
6/14/2010 12:05:07 PM
Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:40:50 +0200, occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On 14/06/2010 12:16, Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>>>
>>> I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
>>> location.
>>>
>>> I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.
>>>
>>> I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.
>>>

>> No newsgroups for Win 7, I am afraid. You will need to ask your question
>> at the appropriate Forum.
>>
>> Select the one you need from here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx
>>
>> I despise Forums. So, good luck!
>
> Well a newsgroup is a kind of forum, but if it's a web-interface forum it's
> very difficult to know or find out when anyone has answered a question. I
> usually forget to look, and then when I remember to look I can't find the
> place again.

  Newsgroups and forums are only as good (or bad) as the people
  who inhabit them. Be a good neighbor, and hop you find other
  good neighbors. I already migrated to an XP forum and got
  a response as quickly as I've always gotten from the MVPs
  here. And at least one of the names stayed the same......
0
William
6/14/2010 12:59:08 PM
Hello Steve,

Microsoft Answers Windows 7 Forums:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7>
--

Also, you can find help with troubleshooting on the Windows 7 Support Forums
at the following link:

"Steve Hayes" wrote:

> Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>
> I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
> location.
>
> I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.
>
> I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.
>

> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
> Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop uk
> .

I caught a glimpse of Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> on Mon, 14 Jun
2010 12:16:53 +0200, writing in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics:

>Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?

"alt.windows7.general" but not all news servers carry it.

>I want to create shortcuts to a program but it doesn't show the program
>location.
>
>I want to change icons for a program but it won't do it.
>
>I know this one is for XP, but I can't find a Windows 7 one.
--

 Erik
0
wrote:

>I caught a glimpse of Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> on Mon, 14 Jun
>2010 12:16:53 +0200, writing in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics:
>
>>Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>
>"alt.windows7.general" but not all news servers carry it.

Alas, mine is one that doesn't.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
Steve

Steve Hayes wrote:
> Alas, mine is one that doesn't.

Use a different server then...
http://aioe.org/

Over 40,000 newsgroups - including the one under discussion here.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/15/2010 11:46:42 AM
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:54:38 +0200, Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:23:53 +1000, Erik Vastmasd <erik.vastm@sd.invalid>
>wrote:
>>I caught a glimpse of Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> on Mon, 14 Jun
>>2010 12:16:53 +0200, writing in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics:
>>>Is there a newsgroup for Windows 7?
>>"alt.windows7.general" but not all news servers carry it.
>
>Alas, mine is one that doesn't.

   Ask them to start carrying it.
0
jyazelz

cannot create profiles in win 7 mail 32 bit
I upgraded to WIndows 7 professional 64 bit and still cannot get my MS Office 2003 to work properly. All the programs except Outlook seems to work fine. I am totally unable to open outlook without mail profiles. I click on mail in control panel and I get low memoery or resources too low. That's impossible. I have 4GB RAM and 1GB VRAM. In addition, I noticed to night that while I created a profile for myself as Admin, I do ot have admin permissions EVEN IF I say 'run as admin" If I open my profile, it syas Admin under my name yet shows up as standard user. I...

How to Hide Left Panel of Folder Window?
I'm well behind the Windows curve and I'm just now learning to use Windows XP Home. Up to now I've been using Windows 2000 Pro. On my XP desktop I have a shortcut to my music folder which containins my MP3 files. When I double click on the shortcut, a window opens on the desktop displaying the contents of my music folder. This window has a panel along the left side containing items like "File and Folder Tasks" and "Other Places." I can't figure out how to close, hide or otherwise delete this panel. This panel takes up a lot of prec...

New message opens up behind outlook window
Everytime I click new in my inbox to open a new message, the new message pops up behind the main oulook window. does anyone know how to make this stop? ...

Can't install windows updates on SBS 2003
I have a SBS 2003 server that has not been updated in a couple years. It has SP2 installed but when I run Microsoft Update it needs to download and install 96 updates. When I try to get them installed it comes back with an error saying not enough disk space. I have tried to just install 1 update at a time and get the same error. The C:\ drive has over 14GB of free space and the other drives have plenty of space as well. I restarted the server and also ran Disk Cleanup, as the error message reccomends, but am still having the same problem. Anyone run across this problem befo...

IE 7 and OWA to Exchange 2003
I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve the problem. I still can't send mails. We're using Exchange 2003 standard with SP2 on Windows 2003 R2. Any thoughts ? Haim Beyhan "Haim Beyhan" <haimb@enigma.com> wrote: >I installed the patch that solves the crash problem when sending a new >message through OWA using IE 7. I restarted the machine but it didn't solve >the problem. I still can't send mails. >We're using Exchange 2003 sta...

Array Formula #7
I have an array formula that works correct up to the 20th row. It quit running on row 20 or it does not pick up any information after row 20. Any help out ther -- pete576 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pete5761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49427 Rather impossible to tell... What's the formula, and what cell(s) is it entered into? What type of data is in any referenced ranges? In article <pete5761.205n5a_1134773401.141...

newsgroups #22
Hello, I just got Outlook on my system, and I got a couple of questions. How do you set up newsgroups to be read via outlook? Can you even do this? carl <carlgurgan@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello, I just got Outlook on my system, and I got a couple of > questions. How do you set up newsgroups to be read via outlook? Can > you even do this? Outlook can't read newsgroups. Outlook's News item for the Go menu calls Outlook Express. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook and Windows Integrated Authentication
Hello All, Does anyone know if Outlook (not OWA) can use Windows Integrated Authentication (like IE) to automatically log onto Intranet Web sites to retrieve graphics in HTML messages? Right now we get a logon dialog and have to manually log in. Thanks. if you paste the url into a browser, does it work as desired? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outloo...

Can Outlook 2003 use MSN Messenger INSTEAD of Windows Messenger?
I didn't get an answer to this question last week so I'm re-posting... I recently purchased a new computer (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2) and loaded up all of the available updates to the OS, Internet Explorer, etc. Next, I installed Office 2003 Professional. I disabled Messenger integration with Outlook 2003 as discussed in other posts here. Next I installed MSN Messenger 6.2 and it seemed to run properly as a stand-alone application. So I re-enabled Messenger integration on Outlook 2003. The next time I booted up and ran Outlook, the Messenger icon appeared in the taskbar...

Windows media player
Why does windows media player keep popping up? David wrote: > Why does windows media player keep popping up? OK, I give up. Why does Windows Media Player keep popping up ? How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 Windows Media Player General Discussion http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&cat=en_US_44d7101f-71dd-4f9a-b6b9-45215557dd35&lang=en&cr=US MowGreen ================ *-343-* FDNY Never Forgotten ================ banthecheck.com "Security update...

Task Manager window only CPU
Vista Ultimate SP2 When I launch Windows Task Manager, only a CPU meter opens. When I right click icon in task bar, I only get Close & Always on top options. How do I restore task manager? Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net Double click on the white frame of the task manager window. That should do it. -- whs THX - it worked Happy New Year -- ***************** John Lenz JohnLenz@comcast.net "whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:89eee91dbeee8173c55e0008be25b622@nntp-gateway....

URGENT: WINDOWS 8 ANNOUNCEMENT for July 2011!
Think Windows7 just came out & too young? Welcome to the brave future: Windows8! 1) Windows 8 To Contain New Anti-Ha*king Software (antipir*cy). Some may consider anti-pir*cy measures similar to whistling in the wind, but that's certainly not the case. George has posts in Windows7NewsDOTcom, and ConnectedInternet showing how in many cases Microsoft has foiled anti-pir*cy efforts. Many believe that piracy is relegated to just illegal copying or theft. But that is not the case. V*rus distribution and embedded malw*re, and privacy intrusion are typical features that result from...

email address on Service Call Entry window
Add an email address field to the Service Call Entry window for the customer contact on the service call. Even if it is not pulled from the email address of the address id on the service call, at least the dispatcher could enter an email address on the service call in order to communicate with the customer regarding the call. It is common to take email address as part of contact information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the m...

Windows XP SP2
Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for several "noticable" seconds before sending. Sam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone else noticed that after installed Windows XP > SP2, emails in Outlook sit in the Outbox for > several "noticable" seconds before sending. I believe I saw this documented on the Microsoft web site. -- Brian Tillman ...

Office 2007 on Windows 7
I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I install Office 2007 without any propblems? Answered your first posting. apensa wrote: > I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. I also purchased Office 2007 > but I notice that Windows 7 is not shown on the Office package. Can I > install Office 2007 without any propblems? ...

Volume License copy of Windows Server
Gurus, Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? -- Spin Start with Vista/Windows 2008, your options to activate are by Internet or Phone. I believe the command that kicks it off is: slui.exe 4 "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote in message news:84nk89Far1U1@mid.individual.net... > Gurus, > > Is there anyway anymore to get a full Volume License copy of Windows > Server (e.g., version 2008) which does NOT require Internet activation? > ...

Can we get newsgroups with Windows Live Mail?
Currently we have WindowsXP, SP3, OE. How will Windows7 get newsgroups? Will these be part of "Windows Live Mail" as they are in OE? Please help, Frank Newsgroups work virtually the same in WLMail as they do in OE. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message news:uybUM2d2KHA.2284@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Currently we have WindowsXP, SP3, OE. > > How will Windows7 get newsgroups? Will these be part of "Windows Live > Mail" as they ...

deleted items #7
Does anyone know what and how I can view and/or delete the 1129 items my Outlook says I have in my deleted items folder. 1 says unread. Thanks If can see the Deleted Items folder in the folder list, right-clicking on it reveals "Empty Deleted Items folder" If you can't see the folder list, it's under the 'Go' menu in Outlook 2003, and under the 'View' menu in earlier versions You can also empty the Deleted Items folder automatically every time you close Outlook. Tools menu > Options > 'Other' tab. Choose the 'Empty the Deleted Items f...

Outlook 2007 in Windows 7
I've installed Office 2007 in Windows 7. Then I installed Lotus Notes 8.5 as my default mail client. After that I opened Outlook 2007 then it prompted to set Outlook 2007 as the default and I clicked Yes. But still the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command value is LotuNotes exe destination. What is the reason for this. But if I use <a href="mailto:dummymail@dum.edu">send mail</a> tag in my HTML page it opens Outlook 2007 new mail window. How does the mailto protocol identifies the default mail client and open the new mail window? Pls someo...

IEnumUnknown->Next method causes a crash in MFC 7.1 (VS .net 2003)
Hi, I have a couple of ActiveX controls inserted in my MFC (MFC 7.1) dialog along with 2 buttons. I used "EnumObjects" method on the ole container to enumerate the Embedded ole objects. I could get to the IUnknown pointers of the ole objects that i inserted in the dialog. But after returning IUnknown pointers for the activex controls (i inserted), the IEnumUnknown->Next method still tries return some uninitialized object and eventually causes a crash. I used the following piece of code to enumerate the objects in the ole container. hr = pOleObj->GetClientSite( &pCl...

link file from virtual windows xp to access 2007 on windows 7 plat
I am trying to link a paradox db file to access 2007 db. The paradox file resides on a virtual windows xp platform within the windows 7 platform of the physical machine. How do I map this field into access? -- cblackman ...

about treeview in view window
hi I am trying to display treeview in view window.But unable to do that. When we call CTreeCtrl &tree=GetTreeCtrl(); it is giving error that GetTreeCtrl is undeclared idenifier.So any one can tell ,how i have done this. I don't want to use App Wizard step 6 Base Class TreeView Class. Arbind your view window should be a CTreeView,GetTreeCtrl() is the member function of CTreeView,but not CView. "Arbind" <arbindb_tech@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:OOePU1iXDHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi > > I am trying to display treevi...

Distribution list #7
How do I load a distribution list into the address book under a single heading ...