need help managing volume size

XP pro
I use an array for automated daily backup,
I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
Problems:
The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
(C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
and purging.
I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.

The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
months, after which time I can dump them.
I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
size rather than creation date as the trigger.
I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
need to do
TIA
0
timOleary
11/22/2009 3:24:53 PM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

  How are folders on C: drive going to help with backup.If you require
 backup files,C: probably wont be available....Why not purchase a 2nd hd
 & dump youre folders on it,plus other misc,new hds are about 30.00
 As for memory test.Go to  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
 This utility runs in DOS,it also checks the memory controllers at same time.

"timOleary" wrote:

> XP pro
> I use an array for automated daily backup,
> I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
> Problems:
> The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
> backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
> I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
> Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
> into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
> (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
> delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
> and purging.
> I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
> irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
> described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
> level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>
> The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
> months, after which time I can dump them.
> I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
> available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
> memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
> size rather than creation date as the trigger.
> I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
> need to do
> TIA
> .

Bzzzt! Andrew E. not reading posts again!

Who said anything about C:\-*drive*?

>  How are folders on C: drive going to help with backup.If you require
> backup files,C: probably wont be available....Why not purchase a 2nd hd
> & dump youre folders on it,plus other misc,new hds are about 30.00
> As for memory test.Go to  http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> This utility runs in DOS,it also checks the memory controllers at same
> time.
>
> "timOleary" wrote:
>
>> XP pro
>> I use an array for automated daily backup,
>> I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
>> Problems:
>> The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
>> backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
>> I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
>> Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
>> into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
>> (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
>> delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
>> and purging.
>> I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
>> irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
>> described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
>> level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>>
>> The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
>> months, after which time I can dump them.
>> I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
>> available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
>> memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
>> size rather than creation date as the trigger.
>> I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
>> need to do
>> TIA
>> .

0
Ol
11/24/2009 9:17:53 AM
On Nov 24, 4:17=A0am, "Ol=F3rin" <inca...@erkljrjre890aeraekj4na.com>
wrote:
> Bzzzt! Andrew E. not reading posts again!
>
> Who said anything about C:\-*drive*?
>
> "Andrew E." <eckric...@msn.com> wrote in message

> > =A0How are folders on C: drive going to help with backup.If you require
> > backup files,C: probably wont be available....Why not purchase a 2nd hd
> > & dump youre folders on it,plus other misc,new hds are about 30.00
> > As for memory test.Go to =A0http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> > This utility runs in DOS,it also checks the memory controllers at same
> > time.
>
> > "timOleary" wrote:
>
> >> XP pro
> >> I use an array for automated daily backup,
> >> I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
> >> Problems:
> >> The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
> >> backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
> >> I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
> >> Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
> >> into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
> >> (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
> >> delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
> >> and purging.
> >> I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
> >> irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
> >> described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
> >> level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>
> >> The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
> >> months, after which time I can dump them.
> >> I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
> >> available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
> >> memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
> >> size rather than creation date as the trigger.
> >> I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
> >> need to do
> >> TIA
> >> .

Hi:
The array is "D". It is a 9T box.

The C drive is reserved for the system alone.
the array is connected via a SCSI which I do not think is relevant to
the issue.
Thanks for the link to test.
When I  check for the amount of data on the array and the available
space on the array, the numbers do not add up.
space is gone but unaccounted for. So I offered that maybe it was a
memory leak. I think I am off target with this idea and do not really
understand what a memory leak is.
thanks for the feedback
0
timOleary
11/24/2009 12:07:15 PM
One Time I Put a 1GB USB Flash Drive & map as X: and gave all the GBs  to VM
You Know VM need memory too!!
To help me with   moviemaker in  making videos..
At Radio Shack today  you can get a  4GB USB Flash Drive for $9.99
More VM may help
ABC array <<<<Hmm this  a good ideal making a array I give you   10  :)  on
that one!!!!!

"timOleary" <timothy.w.oleary@gmail.com> wrote in message
> XP pro
> I use an array for automated daily backup,
> I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
> Problems:
> The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
> backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
> I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
> Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
> into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
> (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
> delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
> and purging.
> I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
> irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
> described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
> level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>
> The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
> months, after which time I can dump them.
> I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
> available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
> memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
> size rather than creation date as the trigger.
> I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
> need to do
> TIA

0
Hot
11/25/2009 8:38:55 PM
On Nov 25, 3:38=A0pm, "Hot-text" <hot-t...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> One Time I Put a 1GB USB Flash Drive & map as X: and gave all the GBs =A0=
to VM
> You Know VM need memory too!!
> To help me with =A0 moviemaker in =A0making videos..
> At Radio Shack today =A0you can get a =A04GB USB Flash Drive for $9.99
> More VM may help
> ABC array <<<<Hmm this =A0a good ideal making a array I give you =A0 10 =
=A0:) =A0on
> that one!!!!!
>
> "timOleary" <timothy.w.ole...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > XP pro
> > I use an array for automated daily backup,
> > I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C.
> > Problems:
> > The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so
> > backups are not executed until I notice and take action.
> > I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level.
> > Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files
> > into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last
> > (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called
> > delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging
> > and purging.
> > I want an app which uses volume size instead.Since due to
> > irregularities in the backup timeline (for example array overloads as
> > described), sometimes the folders will grow larger than the desired
> > level, and I have to go in manually and manage things.
>
> > The objective is to retain files until they become older than six
> > months, after which time I can dump them.
> > I also think gdelinda has a memory leak because the file sizes and
> > available storage numbers do not add up. I do not know how to test for
> > memory leaks, but as previously mentioned. an app which uses volume
> > size rather than creation date as the trigger.
> > I do not know how to write a script, which someone suggested is what I
> > need to do
> > TIA

thanks
0
timOleary

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

How to sort calendar entries on "size"
I would like to remove large size calendar entries by being able to sort on "size". I am able to sort Inbox items on size but not calendar. My company's exchange server has email account size quota and a 3rd of that quota is being held up by calendar entries on the server side, so I would like to get rid of the unwanted past celndar entries that occupy portion of my account quota. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Umesh On 11/18/03 9:21 PM, in article 049b01c3ae43$d9cf01d0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "Umesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would...

help with dynamic tables

Business contact manager install failure
Office 2007 BCM gives me this error when I try and install it: Setup cant finish because it can't delete: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\temp_MS_AgentSigningCertificate_database_log.LDF Any ideas? ...

Macro Help #18
Well I think this is a macro. I have searched my excel book and i can not seem to figure out what to do. I want to write something that if this statement is true, then the font color changes. But here is the potential problem. THe location of the text will change. So i need it to search for this text and then change the color. Does that make sense? Is this possible? If this can be done it will really help me. Thanks in advance. This is exactly what i am trying to do. You type in a persons name into cell a1. you also type a name into cell a2. These names will transfer over ...

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

Help
Hi... I tried to work on Word today for first time on newish Mac and realized none of my Office applications work. When I double click on Word I can see something happening as I get the circle of colours twirling, but half an hour later it still hadn't opened. I just have to do this as quickly as possible as I have a deadline for what I have to do Monday at 12. I've tried reinstalling the software, but that didn't do anything for me. Mind you I know absolutely nothing about installing anything on Mac computers so I could be doing it all wrong. Do any of you have any idea what c...

Business Contact Manager #30
I imported a database from ACT! 6.0 and am now having problems with BCM. When I remove the database using data file management ii's still hanging around (on outlook today the appointments & tasks are still listed plus tehy're all still in the calendar) even when I uninstalled & then re-installed the program. Does anyone know how i might delete this database or datafile permanently? ...

Macro help with saving a spreadsheet with date and time in it
Can someone help me with some code that would save a file name as "schedule-mm-dd-yyyy-hh:mm"? Thanks, Alan Alan, how about something like this Sub Save_As() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="Schedule " & Format(Now, "mm-dd-yyyy-hh-mm") & ".xls", FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False _ , CreateBackup:=False End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Fee...

Help!
We went live with 4 decimals on our functional currency and we now want to reduce them to 2 decimals. All of our transactions so far are in 4 decimals. Can anyone guide me into doing this? thank you Use the Change Decimal Places window to change the number of decimal places used for keeping quantity or currency amounts for items. You might need to complete this procedure if an item was set up improperly, or if you’re changing the units of measurement for an item. NOTE: If an item is on an unposted transaction, you can’t change its decimal place settings. Ensure you have a complete ba...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

Please help a exchange newbie.. Message filtering
I have a contact set up on Exchange 2003 that forwards to a cell phone for alerts generated in our environment. This contact is setup to get notice of several events, all events have separate email address as the "sender" one of the events gets allot of notices. I would like to have this contact not receive mail from the one email address that generated allot of events. I have set up the properties under the exchange general > messaging restrictions, and have authenticated users only and from everyone except the email account I don't want to receive alerts from, BUT when anyon...

Help me do this
Hi Everyone, I need some help. I want to use Windows Live mail without signing in or having a hotmail or live account. I use gmail and it works fine. I have exported all my contacts from my live.com email and imported all of my contacts so that is not the problem. I want to import my calendar from my live account. I can't find anyway to do this. If I stop signing in of course my calendar is gone. How can I export my live.com email calendar into windows live desktop client so I don't have to sign in anymore? Thx "T-Man" <a@anon.com> wrote in message...

Help?
Ok this is for all the formulae gurus out there. TIA I have a list in a particular column, lets say column A This is a list of dates I have another cell which uses data validation to reference this list. Say B1 In cell B1 the only acceptable entries are that which are in column A Can anyone supply me with a formula for my data validation which will only allow 8 entries. These 8 entries....appearing in the list in B1 will be 8 weeks in advance of the current date. I am currently using the following formula =OFFSET(O2,MATCH(YEAR(NOW()),YEAR(O2:O200),0)-1,,SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(O2:O200)=YE...

Need help installing Office 2007
I'm trying to install Office 2007 on my Vista PC. A short way through the installation I get this message: " Cannot Find Proofing.en-us”.... I've searched around: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=setup+cannot+find+proofing.en-us+proof.fr+proof.msi&meta=&aq=1&oq=setup+cannot+find+Proofing.en-us\Proof.fr but I can't get anything to work. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Gary What version of Office 2007. Did you have a Trial version already installed on your PC and did you remove it -- Peter ...

Help !

MFC SDI initial frame size
How can I override the width & height values that my SDI app uses at run time? I tried modifying lpCREATESTRUCT but it ignores my changes ( or at least it seems to ). OR better yet how can I have it remember the last size when closed? -- Ron H -- This outgoing email was scanned by Norton Antivirus Corp. Edition and found to be virus free! ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- BOOL CMainFrame::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { cs.style |= WS_CLIPSIBLINGS|WS_...

I need a symbol but "symbol" in the Insert menu is grayed-out.
I upgraded to Office Professional for XP. In Excel I need a symbol, but it is grayed out in the Insert Menu and won't work. Their instructions say it will, but it won't. What can I do to activate symbol? Nothappy Couple of possibles. If the worksheet is Protected or Shared, the Insert>Symbol is unavailable. Have a look under Tools>Share Workbook and Tools>Protection. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:46:06 -0700, "Nothappy" <Nothappy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I upgraded to Office Professional for XP. In Excel I need a symbol, but...

SQL Server 2005: Management Studio missing after setup
hi everyone i already posted this in the setup group but couldn't get a reply up until now. yesterday i was experiencing some issues trying to install SQL Server 2005 on my Windows Server 2008 R2 box (64-bit). after i completed the installation i can't seem to find the SQL Management Studio. i have selected all components to be installed, including "workstation components, books online and development tools". i tried searching for SQLWB.exe but couldn't find anything. thanks for your help! cheers marc -- MCP, EPM consultant Zurich, Switz...