Disabling tables formatting features in Word2000 and Word2003

How can I disable the automatic table numbering and indenting
features in MS Word?

Jim Hawkins

0
Jim
6/22/2010 9:37:46 AM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

By asking in a Word newsgroup, not Windows XP.

"Jim Hawkins" <jimhawkins@manx.net> wrote in message
:
: How can I disable the automatic table numbering and indenting
: features in MS Word?
:
: Jim Hawkins
:
:
:

0
Bickford
6/22/2010 12:49:24 PM

Bickford Shmeckler wrote:
> By asking in a Word newsgroup, not Windows XP.

Such as ?
I could only find 3 newsgroups about Word,
one in hebrew, one in arabic and a third in a
language unknown to me.
That's why I tried here.

Jim Hawkins

0
Jim

Jim Hawkins wrote:
> Such as ?
> I could only find 3 newsgroups about Word,
> one in hebrew, one in arabic and a third in a
> language unknown to me.
> That's why I tried here.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

 Search using Google!
 http://www.google.com/
 (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Example:
http://www.google.com/search?q=newsgroups+about+%22Microsoft+Word%22

Most of the ones on the Microsoft news server itself are gone - Microsoft is
doing away with their news server completely.  Doesn't mean they are not
synchronized and living on elsewhere.

If you really want MS 'sanctioned' areas...
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/

For you...
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeword

Of course - one might just take theirt question and plug it into Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=How+can+I+disable+the+automatic+table+numbering+and+indenting+features+in+MS+Word

The first few hits might help...

How to switch off Autoformatting
http://www.thuto.org/ubh/ub/compu/hcsmsw1.htm#autoformat

Ten things every Microsoft Word user should know
http://generaldisarray.wordpress.com/2006/04/14/ten-things-every-microsoft-word-user-should-know/
(#7)

Microsoft Word Tips Tricks & FAQs
http://www.willamette.edu/wits/resources/docs/software/msoffice/word-faq.htm

But then you wouldn't be interacting with all the nice people. ;-)

Look how your posting has spread all over the Internet:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-xp-basics/disabling-tables-formatting-features-word2000-word2003-288113.html

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/36147755/disabling-tables-formatting-features-in-word2000-and-word2003.aspx

http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/Disabling-tables-formatting-features-in-Word2000-and-Word2003

http://www.forum-22.com/31/1039608/

Likely many more to come.  Will be there for *years*...

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/22/2010 10:04:40 PM
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Jim Hawkins wrote:
>> How can I disable the automatic table numbering and indenting
>> features in MS Word?
>
> Bickford Shmeckler wrote:
>> By asking in a Word newsgroup, not Windows XP.
>
> Jim Hawkins wrote:
>> Such as ?
>> I could only find 3 newsgroups about Word,
>> one in hebrew, one in arabic and a third in a
>> language unknown to me.
>> That's why I tried here.
>
> Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
> information on problems you may be having and solutions others have
> found:
> Search using Google!
> http://www.google.com/
> (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )
>
> Example:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=newsgroups+about+%22Microsoft+Word%22
>
> Most of the ones on the Microsoft news server itself are gone -
> Microsoft is doing away with their news server completely.  Doesn't
> mean they are not synchronized and living on elsewhere.
>
> If you really want MS 'sanctioned' areas...
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/
>
> For you...
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeword
>
> Of course - one might just take theirt question and plug it into
> Google:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=How+can+I+disable+the+automatic+table+numbering+and+indenting+features+in+MS+Word
>
> The first few hits might help...
>
> How to switch off Autoformatting
> http://www.thuto.org/ubh/ub/compu/hcsmsw1.htm#autoformat
>
> Ten things every Microsoft Word user should know
> http://generaldisarray.wordpress.com/2006/04/14/ten-things-every-microsoft-word-user-should-know/
> (#7)
>
> Microsoft Word Tips Tricks & FAQs
> http://www.willamette.edu/wits/resources/docs/software/msoffice/word-faq.htm
>
> But then you wouldn't be interacting with all the nice people. ;-)
>
> Look how your posting has spread all over the Internet:
> http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/windows-xp-basics/disabling-tables-formatting-features-word2000-word2003-288113.html
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/36147755/disabling-tables-formatting-features-in-word2000-and-word2003.aspx
>
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/Disabling-tables-formatting-features-in-Word2000-and-Word2003
>
> http://www.forum-22.com/31/1039608/
>
> Likely many more to come.  Will be there for *years*...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP

Many thanks for being so helpful Shenan.
Jim Hawkins

0
Jim

Conditional formatting
Is it possible to shade fields progressively darker or lighter depending on the values. For example, I would like the following values to have the following colours: -5 dark red -4 lighter red -3 slightly lighter red -2 etc, etc 1 light green 5 dark green One step further - would it be possible to tell excel to work out which is the lowest and highest number in the data set and work out for itself how light or dark to shade the values e.g, if my dataset happened to have the values -50, -40, etc excel would work out which was a low value and which was a high one. Conditional formatting ...

Pivot Table Source Data
I have an existing Pivot Table that usually updates daily, albeit this relies someone in the office refreshing the data. Anyway we seem to have missed one days data and thought we would be clever and just include the days missing data back into the source data. In effect we are putting the 8th September data between the 7th and the 9th. However no matter what we do the data from the 8th ends up as the last column in the pivot table. Are we missing something really simple here or has my brain turned to mush? thanks for the help in advance. Bryan P.S I also tried creating a dynamic range but ...

conditional formatting of row based on cell
I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row based on the contents of one cell in that row. For example, if cell L2 contains the word 'sport', i want the whole of row 2 to be shaded. I'm guessing this is pretty simple, but seem to be having a bit of a mental blockage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :) formula is =$l$2="sport" "Katherine" <katherine@katherine.com> wrote in message news:107b01c372ef$4ec59e30$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row > based on the contents of one...

Sales Distribution Entry table
Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales Distribution Entry window? Thanks. On Feb 27, 10:44=A0am, ALGP <gpjef...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales > Distribution Entry window? > > Thanks. SOP10102 ...

Formatting four pages onto one 12x18 sheet
I'm trying to figure out how to format a 12 x 18 sheet with four individual 5.5 x 8.5 pages on it. Any ideas? The closest I can get is under page setup...selecting "postcards" and that will give me three pages per sheet, but I need four. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. If your printer can be custom setup to 12 x 18 then you can divide it into four parts. Are you sure you aren't trying to setup a 11 x 17 landscaped sheet? In any event, setup your printer first. File, Page Setup, Advanced on the right, type 18 width, 12 height or 17 width, 11 ...

Grouping dates in pivot table
I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table. Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. This is a field I would like to group by in the pivottable. I am aware of all the techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly from a sql query. I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent formats with no success. Any insights into this would be appreciated. Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell and paste sp...

How do I format a field based on the value
I have a form that is populated from a query using several tables. In the detail section I have the following fields: Category Code qty PO number ... .... ... The qty is populated in the query based on whether or not a PO number is available. If the PO number is not available then it comes from table a, if it is available then it comes from table b. On the form, I have my fields color-coded for easy reading. I would like to be able to color the border and column heading based on where this value comes from. If table A, then it is blue, if table b then it...

Data Tables
In Excel 2000, must data tables (Data\Tables...) always be located on the same worksheet tab as the source data? I want to put summary tables into a separate worksheet (tab), but Excel won't let me do that. Steve Looks that way, at least in Excel97 (my ver) But we could always mirror the data tables (or parts thereof) elsewhere (eg: another sheet) via simple link formulas -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Steve D" <sdrenker_(you_know_what_here)_media.sj.nec.com> wrote in message news:ufhMsZfyFHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Table name length in microsoft query
Hi! Is it true that the maximum length of a tablename is still 8 characters. I'm useing Excel 97 and trying to get data from a Paradox 9 table via odbc-link and Microsoft Query. I have heard a few years ago that long names are OK and supported all over the microsoftian regime. Is there any trick to avoid this without shortening all the names. Greetings from Helsinki HK ...

pivot table grand totals not showing for all columns...
i have a pivot table that shows the grand total for some columns, but not for others... there are no differences in the data layout, yet this happens? any clues as to why? and how I can get the grand totals to show for all fields. thanx in the PivotTable floating toolbar, click PviotTable, then Table Options, select 'Grand totals for columns' option. ...

CRM 4 new feature
Hi Is anyone know the new feature of CRM4? The CRM3 email feature is pool. -- Gordon A brief scan around google will tell you the publicly announced features of CRM V4. Those of us testing the product are under NDA so cannot publicly say anything. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "GordonLiq" <GordonLiq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5593E39-A2A3-4E81-B608-6889732ECA22@microsoft.com... > Hi > Is anyone know the new feature of CRM4? > The CRM3 email feature is pool. > -- > Gord...

Formatting number in Data Table
I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that the figures can be negative or positve. I have formatted the cells with this custom format $#,##0;[Red]$-#,##0. On the spreadsheet the format works fine. I created a chart from the data. I have a data table at the bottom of the chart. The problem is that the format from the spreadsheet is not reflected in the data table. When I click on Format Data Table, there is no option for number formatting. There is a number formatting option available when i click Format Axis, but this doesn't change it, because the actual axis is Text. Is th...

Disable OWA 2003
Can i do that? On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:12:58 +0800, "Super" <ss> wrote: >Can i do that? > For everyone? Stop the HTTP virtual server for that server in ESM. Hi andy, Thx, after reboot the server, http virtual server auto start up again, how can disable it which reboot the server? "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> ???????:0qhi22pa7l33ojkmgfchs9upr99a8jqanc@4ax.com... > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:12:58 +0800, "Super" <ss> wrote: > >>Can i do that? >> > > > For everyone? > Stop the ...

Insert Row Under current row (with formulas/formatting)
I've got a sheet that gets appended to regularly but have to do a lot of fiddling to make sure the formatting is correct, calculated fields get added and chart series ranges collect all the data every time I add a new row. The insert (row) command seems to take care of all of this but it inserts the empty row above the current row. As I'm always appending data to the sheet, I would prefer this to be below the current row. I've tried adding a dummy row under all the data containing the formulas and formatting I need but unfortunately I get formula errors and it screws up my chart....

Format Painter button problem
When I wish to format several cells the same I double click the format painter and I am able to format each cell without reclicking the button. I have just upgraded to Excel 2003 and now I can only do that on a worksheet that hasn't any VBA code attached. Is this a bug? I know other people on Mr Excel are having the same problem and no one seems to have an answer. Thanks for any response or help you may give me. Skip Depends upon the VBA code attached, I would imagine. If you have worksheet event code that formatted cells, this formatting would overwrite what you painted with the...

Pvt Table Question
I am creating several pvt tables that will be updated often with new data. I want to know if there is any function within a pvt table that I can use to set up my pvt table so that only the top 10 data points are automatically displayed. So for example, if i have pvt table set up to show brand name and then accounts for each brand name and I sorted on accounts descending and only wanted the pvt table to show the top 10 brands that had the highest total accounts. Is this possible? Thanks. Hi, To show the top 10 values for a field - double-click the field heading, click 'Advanced' ...

Trouble with time formats
Any help appreciated! I need to work out the average speed it would take to cover a certain distance. EG. If you covered 10 miles in 28 minutes what would teh average speed be... Column A: 10 miles Column B: 28 minutes Column C: Would return 21.43mph. I then want to to add time increments of say 15 seconds in rows so that I can see that if it took 28 minutes, 45 seconds, the average speed column would return 20.87mph. I can work it out by entering 28.75 for the time (or 70.50 for 1h,10m,30s), but I want to format it as time, i.e: 00:28:45 (or 01:10:30) Is this possible? Thanks...

Excel's column width format box
Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's column width box, yet using the mouse, I am able to adjust the width. When opening the text box, I can delete the number that appears, but am unable to even reenter that one after it is deleted. I must tell you that I'm a new user who's working through numerous tutorials. Thanks, Hi do you get an error message or what happens exactly -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany rly2rys wrote: > Does anyone know why I am unable to enter a number into Excel's > column width box, yet using the mouse, I am ...

Table relationships
I've created a database with about 15 tables for a participant data in a research study. Each participant will complete the 15 assessment measures. My ultimate goal is to create a data entry system whereby a research assistant can pull up a form and enter an ID number, plus the answers to the 15 assessment measures. I know I can create a query to combine all the tables, but it seems like the research assistant would have to enter the id and date 15 times (once for each table pulled in to the query). Is there a way to just enter the ID number one time and have it apply t...

Copying sorksheet formatting
How do I copy worksheet formatting, inc. custom headers, footers, column & row formatting across all the worksheets in a workbook? Hi one way: formating them all at the same time: - group the sheets (hold down the SHIFT key while selecting the sheets) - apply the format to a cell, column, row -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany driverdriver wrote: > How do I copy worksheet formatting, inc. custom headers, > footers, column & row formatting across all the worksheets > in a workbook? You can also select the entire sheet with CTRL+A and do Edit / Copy, then group yo...

Can I use 'or' in conditional formatting?
I'd like to have 4 conditions, Red, Yellow, and Green. But I have two conditions for green, without using two conditions for green is there a way to use OR somehow to beat the limit? Thanks, Norm PS Win2000 + XL2002 Sure ... just click on "Formula Is", and you can use "OR" for more then two conditions. For example: =OR(A1=2,A1=4,A1="good",A1="bad") Will trigger the set format if "any" of the above equate to "True". -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all corr...

Contracts additional Features
First suggestion is to allow decimal points in the Quantity field on the contract line. Second Feature, provide a mechanism to allow users to adjust pricing or quantity on contract line. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busin...

date Format #28
-- Regards, ------------------------------------------------- Mahmoud Metwally Ali Jaicorp IT Manager Office Tel. : (202) 3471495/361 Mob. : (2010) 5195169 ...

Conditional Formatting for Image box on Continuous Forms
Hello again, This problem is driving me crazy. I am a car enthusiast and love taking photos of classic cars. I have a table which describes the make and model in a series of fields. There are several fields that contain a reference to photos of those cars. Ie: the fields are called "Front" "Side" "Rear" "Angle". My form has four image boxes to display the images stored in these fields. But when I open the form all the records show the images of the first car only. I asked about this a few days ago and was advised to check out http://www.lebans.co...

How to disable the "implicit mx record" in Exchange
I am having a problem with exchange sending to hosts in recipient domains where these hosts are not actually mail servers. After a lot of review of the SMTP logs, I realized that sometimes Exchange is sending to the correct MX record host, and sometimes it is sending to the host with the A record for the actual domain. When I say the record for the domain, I mean an A record that refences the bare domain name rather than an individual host in the domain. So when Exchange gets a DNS timeout looking up an MX record, it falls back to sending to the domain A record. This causes an immed...