Check Disk disabled 2/3 of the services

I ran CheckDisk and, after it was finished 2/3 of Windows Services were
disabled.  Why did that happen?  Will it happen if I run CheckDisk again?
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In news:0E7EFF2E-046E-468F-A368-DDAFAFA0DEC5@microsoft.com,
Sol <Sol@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I ran CheckDisk and, after it was finished 2/3 of Windows Services
> were disabled.  Why did that happen?  Will it happen if I run
> CheckDisk again?

There are chances, with seriously messed up drives, where chkdsk can
misinterpret things and damage the system tables.  It usually means the disc
is trashed, software wise, not physically.  I don't think I'd run it again.
I do think a Repair Install might be in order though.  You shouldn't lose
any data except updates, but be sure you back up your data first anyway.
It's real easy to make a mistake doing installs.  Be sure to let the updates
reinstall.

HTH
Twayne
--
We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday

0
Twayne
12/24/2009 7:44:55 PM
On Dec 24, 12:17=A0am, Sol <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I ran CheckDisk and, after it was finished 2/3 of Windows Services were
> disabled. =A0Why did that happen? =A0Will it happen if I run CheckDisk ag=
ain?

There are lots of Services and they are not all enabled, so 2/3
disabled Services may not be a problem at all.

Were the Services enabled before you started?

What are some of the disabled Services that you think were disabled?

Here is a list of XP services for SP3 for various configurations:

Jose
12/25/2009 12:50:46 PM
Pivotal services were disabled.  Print spooler, file association, help and
security, and others that I dont remember offhand.  All these services were
enabled before check disk was run.

In news:C969A2A4-8989-4185-890C-1B03DC7E8723@microsoft.com,
Sol <Sol@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Pivotal services were disabled.  Print spooler, file association,
> help and security, and others that I dont remember offhand.  All
> these services were enabled before check disk was run.

Hope I'm not repeating myself here: I've seen that happen with badly
corrupted tables on an NTFS disc.  In another instance I saw it render a PC
unbootable.  Nearest I can figure is something moved somewhere and chkdsk
was making bad decisions on what it did/was doing.  Both cases required a
clean install to get goign agai in a reasonable length of time though I'd
have loved to troubleshoot to try to find out exactly what did happen.  I
never leave chkdsk to run unattended anymore!

Twayne

> "Jose" wrote:
>
>> On Dec 24, 12:17 am, Sol <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I ran CheckDisk and, after it was finished 2/3 of Windows Services
>>> were disabled.  Why did that happen?  Will it happen if I run
>>> CheckDisk again?
>>
>> There are lots of Services and they are not all enabled, so 2/3
>> disabled Services may not be a problem at all.
>>
>> Were the Services enabled before you started?
>>
>> What are some of the disabled Services that you think were disabled?
>>
>> Here is a list of XP services for SP3 for various configurations:
>>
>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>> .

We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
 but we're still far away from
 yesterday's tomorrow.

0
Twayne
12/26/2009 4:21:53 AM
How does one tweak an episode of chkdsk?  I do not know of any portion of the
batch process that requires any input.  What am I missing?

On Dec 25, 6:14=A0pm, Sol <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Pivotal services were disabled. =A0Print spooler, file association, help =
and
> security, and others that I dont remember offhand. =A0All these services =
were
> enabled before check disk was run.
>

> "Jose" wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 12:17 am, Sol <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I ran CheckDisk and, after it was finished 2/3 of Windows Services we=
re
> > > disabled. =A0Why did that happen? =A0Will it happen if I run CheckDis=
k again?

> > There are lots of Services and they are not all enabled, so 2/3
> > disabled Services may not be a problem at all.
>
> > Were the Services enabled before you started?
>
> > What are some of the disabled Services that you think were disabled?
>
> > Here is a list of XP services for SP3 for various configurations:
>
> >http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
> > .

I can only think of a few things that would just turn off those
services.  How did you discover they were turned off - did you try to
do something that used to work and then something didn't work and it
lead you to look at the services?

Are you getting specific errors that a Service is not running and can
you start the afflicted service to resolve the issue?

Just how did you run this CheckDisk command?  I searched my hard drive
and there is no CheckDisk program.  I am familiar with the chkdsk
program though.

Did you use the built in Windows tools to run the Error-checking and/
or Defragmentation tools?  If yes, were any issues reported and how
did you respond to the issues?

If you patiently run the built it MS Error-checking, does it run
without reporting any issues?

What is the file association service?

What is the help and security service?  Do you mean Help and Support?

if you try to start these services that you think should be running
manually, do they start and if they are started and set to Automatic,
do they start automatically on a reboot?

A shortcut to the Services applet is to click Start, Run and in the
box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s

Click OK to display the Service applet.

Have you run any non Microsoft maintenance type applications where the
product description includes words similar to:

mechanic, doctor, fix up, tune up, cleaner, optimize, etc.?

0
Jose
12/26/2009 3:08:45 PM
You're not missing anything. Chkdsk can't be tweaked; not sure where that
came from unless it's the way you interpreted my last sentence in my post
about not leaving it unattended.  All I mean is that I kill it as quickly as
I can if I see it start to find gazillions of problems. Usually that will
leave the sytem still functioning.  I use taskkill in a command prompt to
kill it; it comes up as part of a batch, ready to run at the touch of a key.
It may still create more problems though, unless you catch it soon enough it
hasn't made many changes.  OTOH I usually do a reinstall though if it looks
like the task will take too long; time is money but too much time in one
place can really PO a customer!

Go to a command prompt and enter     chkdsk  /?      and you'll see the only
switches available for it.

Twayne

In news:48EA139B-F8AB-4AAD-9510-63E1FCBEFA55@microsoft.com,
Sol <Sol@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> How does one tweak an episode of chkdsk?  I do not know of any
> portion of the batch process that requires any input.  What am I
> missing?
>
> "Twayne" wrote:
>
>> In news:C969A2A4-8989-4185-890C-1B03DC7E8723@microsoft.com,
>> Sol <Sol@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Pivotal services were disabled.  Print spooler, file association,
>>> help and security, and others that I dont remember offhand.  All
>>> these services were enabled before check disk was run.
>>
>> Hope I'm not repeating myself here: I've seen that happen with badly
>> corrupted tables on an NTFS disc.  In another instance I saw it
>> render a PC unbootable.  Nearest I can figure is something moved
>> somewhere and chkdsk was making bad decisions on what it did/was
>> doing.  Both cases required a clean install to get goign agai in a
>> reasonable length of time though I'd have loved to troubleshoot to
>> try to find out exactly what did happen.  I never leave chkdsk to
>> run unattended anymore!
>>
>> Twayne

>> --
>> --
>> We've already reached
>> tomorrow's yesterday
>>  but we're still far away from
>>  yesterday's tomorrow.
>>
>> .

We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
 but we're still far away from
 yesterday's tomorrow.

0
Twayne
12/26/2009 7:06:10 PM
In news:0d6f4a4f-691c-4d8a-98aa-dc7f14876a62@e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com,
Jose <jose_ease@yahoo.com> typed:
> On Dec 25, 6:14 pm, Sol <S...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Pivotal services were disabled. Print spooler, file association,
>> help and security, and others that I dont remember offhand. All
>> these services were enabled before check disk was run.

>>> There are lots of Services and they are not all enabled, so 2/3
>>> disabled Services may not be a problem at all.
>>
>>> Were the Services enabled before you started?
>>
>>> What are some of the disabled Services that you think were disabled?
>>
>>> Here is a list of XP services for SP3 for various configurations:
>>
>>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>>> .
>
> I can only think of a few things that would just turn off those
> services.  How did you discover they were turned off - did you try to
> do something that used to work and then something didn't work and it
> lead you to look at the services?
>
> Are you getting specific errors that a Service is not running and can
> you start the afflicted service to resolve the issue?
>
> Just how did you run this CheckDisk command?  I searched my hard drive
> and there is no CheckDisk program.  I am familiar with the chkdsk
> program though.
>
> Did you use the built in Windows tools to run the Error-checking and/
> or Defragmentation tools?  If yes, were any issues reported and how
> did you respond to the issues?
>
> If you patiently run the built it MS Error-checking, does it run
> without reporting any issues?
>
> What is the file association service?
>
> What is the help and security service?  Do you mean Help and Support?
>
> if you try to start these services that you think should be running
> manually, do they start and if they are started and set to Automatic,
> do they start automatically on a reboot?
>
> A shortcut to the Services applet is to click Start, Run and in the
> box enter:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s
>
> Click OK to display the Service applet.
>
> Have you run any non Microsoft maintenance type applications where the
> product description includes words similar to:
>
> mechanic, doctor, fix up, tune up, cleaner, optimize, etc.?

Hmm, excellent post; esp check disk vs chkdsk. Never occurred to me.
Twayne
We've already reached
tomorrow's yesterday
 but we're still far away from
 yesterday's tomorrow.
0
Twayne

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

printing 2 charts on single page

Offline folder problems #2

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

disabling splash screen?
How do I turn off the splash screen in Outlook 2000? Thanks. -- marx404 ...

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Service Products Tracking.
We run a workshop repair service, what is the best way to track customers products, as it seems unfeasible to add products when booking an over the counter repair order in CRM. I would like to track repairs against machine manufacturer to do simple reporting like reliability against brand etc. I would recommend the following as the product you sell is a service I would create the service as the product i.e. create product Start-up costs, hourly rate, etc. To track brand reliability I would create one or more custom entities which contain the brand and maybe even their products. T...

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Hyperlink problem #3

VCard issue #2

Outlook Client #3