Cannot read or write rewritable CDs

win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram

I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.

I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
well.

I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
normally in my laptop (same OS).

The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
rewritable CDs.

Any ideas where to start tackling this?

Thanks,

Clem.

windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
> well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried
> 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs
> work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
> rewritable CDs.
>
> Any ideas where to start tackling this?

Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the CD
laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than CD-R
and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is too
dim to be read correctly.

Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A typical
life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

--
Peter

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work normally
> in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read rewritable
> CDs.
>
> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.

0
Peter
11/25/2009 5:54:33 PM
M.I.5�,

Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.

Clem.

"M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>

> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
> pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the
> CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than
> CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is
> too dim to be read correctly.
>
> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Peter,

Thanks for your input. I ran the diagnostic utility, but it failed. I tried
the same disk in 2 other machines, it works fine.

Clem.

> Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
>
> --
> Peter

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.

Then try this
Peter

"C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your input. I ran the diagnostic utility, but it failed. I tried the
> same disk in 2 other machines, it works fine.
>
> Clem.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Cannot Read or Write CD\DVD Media
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>>
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
>>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
>>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
>>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Clem.

0
Peter
11/26/2009 5:42:10 AM
> M.I.5�,
>
> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.

That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Then try this
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

He didn't mention that it wasn't reachable.

I'm wondering if he has all the latest windows updates?
0
Rick
11/27/2009 4:54:10 PM
I've tried 2 brands (two types from 1 brand and 1 type from another brand),
same prob.

> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> M.I.5�,
>>
>> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.
>>

> That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
> can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?
>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

>>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs
>>> and the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower
>>> refectivity than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then
>>> the reflected beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>>
>>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

Initial post:

===================
I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.

I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
well.

I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
normally in my laptop (same OS).

The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
rewritable CDs.
===================

I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
windows media player from v11 to v9.

Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

C.M.G. wrote:
> Initial post:
>
> ===================
> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>
> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
> well.
>
> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried to
> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>
> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
> rewritable CDs.
> ===================
>
> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing utility
> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled back
> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>
> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,

Try a different cable to connect the drive.

--
  JD..
0
JD wrote:
> C.M.G. wrote:
>> Initial post:
>>
>> ===================
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>> tried to
>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried 3
>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs work
>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>> ===================
>>
>> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing
>> utility
>> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled
>> back
>> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>>
>> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3 first
>> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
>> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Try a different cable to connect the drive.

The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

0
Rick
11/28/2009 2:30:19 PM
Verify the drive is recognized in the BIOS.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> I've tried 2 brands (two types from 1 brand and 1 type from another
> brand), same prob.
>
> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>>> M.I.5�,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input; I bought a new drive; same problem; took it back.
>>>

>> That would indicate that the problem is elsewhere.  Though at present, I
>> can't imagine where.  Have you tried a different brand of CD-RW?
>>
>>> Clem.
>>>
>>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

0
Don
11/28/2009 9:27:48 PM
There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the two
optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW read
and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on the same
drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions of the cable
are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use (since there only
appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the "D" and "E" drive
connectors?

Thanks,

Clem.

> JD wrote:
>> C.M.G. wrote:
>>> Initial post:
>>>
>>> ===================
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>>> tried to
>>> record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have tried
>>> 3
>>> different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same CD-RWs
>>> work
>>> normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>> ===================
>>>
>>> I have now uninstalled itunes, real, quicktime, some video viewing
>>> utility
>>> the name of which I've forgotten (shipped with Dell), and I've rolled
>>> back
>>> windows media player from v11 to v9.
>>>
>>> Updates are all current, though I use xp pro sp2, not sp3. When sp3
>>> first
>>> came out, I installed it, but something stopped working, don't quite
>>> remember what, so I rolled back to sp2.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Try a different cable to connect the drive.
>>

> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

It is, I assume, since both optical disc drives have some functionality
left.

Clem.

#1 Master
#2 CSEL
for Rom always
it will work and the Errors will go a way

> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the two
> optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW read
> and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on the
> same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions of the
> cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use (since
> there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the "D" and
> "E" drive connectors?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.
>
> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> JD wrote:

>>> Try a different cable to connect the drive.
>>>

>> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

0
Hot
11/29/2009 12:07:39 PM
Hello Hot-text,

Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure I understand you correctly:

The ribbon cable has two connectors; the one closer to the motherboard is
connected to the RW, and the farther away (at the end of the ribbon) is
connected to the ROM.

The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.

Are you saying the ROM should be plugged in closer to the motherboard, and
the jumper set to Master? And the RW connects at the end or the ribbon
cable, and jumper set to Cable select?

I appreciate your help.

Clem.

"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> #1 Master
> #2 CSEL
> for Rom always
> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>

> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the
>> two optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the CD-RW
>> read and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the DVD+RW on
>> the same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different portions
>> of the cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable would I use
>> (since there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to switch the
>> "D" and "E" drive connectors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> The simplest suggestion IS often the best.

The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.  NO No
One jumpers cable select.
One jumpers Master.
the farther or closer not it
it Master and cable select that make it work you is  Just puck one..

> Hello Hot-text,
> Thanks for your suggestion. I am not sure I understand you correctly:
>
> The ribbon cable has two connectors; the one closer to the motherboard is
> connected to the RW, and the farther away (at the end of the ribbon) is
> connected to the ROM.
>
> The jumpers on both optical drives are set to cable select.
>
> Are you saying the ROM should be plugged in closer to the motherboard, and
> the jumper set to Master? And the RW connects at the end or the ribbon
> cable, and jumper set to Cable select?
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Clem.
>
> "Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> #1 Master
>> #2 CSEL
>> for Rom always
>> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>>

>> "C.M.G." <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>>> There is just one ribbon cable, with two different connectors, for the
>>> two optical disc drives. If the cable were defective, disabling the
>>> CD-RW read and write function on the "E" drive, would one expect the
>>> DVD+RW on the same drive to still work (which it does)? And if different
>>> portions of the cable are responsible for CD vs DVD R/W, which cable
>>> would I use (since there only appears to be one)? Would it make sense to
>>> switch the "D" and "E" drive connectors?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Clem.
>>>
>>> "Rick Merrill" <Rick0.merrill@gmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
Hot
12/2/2009 9:24:47 AM
Hello M.I.5�,

You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes of
the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be working
fine!

Thanks,

Clem.

"M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>
>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>
>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>> well.
>>
>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently tried
>> to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I have
>> tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The same
>> CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>
>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>> rewritable CDs.
>>
>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>

> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to read
> pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and the
> CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity than
> CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected beam is
> too dim to be read correctly.
>
> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
CMG
12/5/2009 5:34:16 AM
And the New One is Master  <<< by default
and the Old the is  CSEL

> Hello M.I.5�,
>
> You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes
> of the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be working
> fine!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Clem.
>
> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
>>>
>>> win xp professional  version 2002, sp2
>>> Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 1 gb ram
>>>
>>> I have a CD/DVD ROM and CD/DVD RW.
>>>
>>> I use the RW drive for backups, usually to DVD+RW; this currently works
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I have used CD-RW in the past, but not in quite a while. I recently
>>> tried to record a CD-RW, but the drive does not recognize the disc. I
>>> have tried 3 different kinds of CD-RW, all with the same problem. The
>>> same CD-RWs work normally in my laptop (same OS).
>>>
>>> The ROM reads DVDs and non re-writable CDs normally, but does not read
>>> rewritable CDs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas where to start tackling this?
>>>

>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs and
>> the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower refectivity
>> than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then the reflected
>> beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>
>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
Hot
12/5/2009 7:17:58 PM
Thanks! C.

> And the New One is Master  <<< by default
> and the Old the is  CSEL
>
> for Rom always
> it will work and the Errors will go a way
>

> "CMG" <clem3000@gmail.moc> wrote in message
>> Hello M.I.5�,
>>
>> You were right after all! After messing around with other possible causes
>> of the problem, I finally bought another new drive. It seems to be
>> working fine!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Clem.
>>
>> "M.I.5�" <no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

>>> Yes.  The CD laser has died.  Most DVD/CD drives use the DVD laser to
>>> read pre mastered CDs but this doesn't work with CD-R and CD-RW discs
>>> and the CD laser has to be used.  CD-RW discs have a much lower
>>> refectivity than CD-R and if the laser doesn't have enough power then
>>> the reflected beam is too dim to be read correctly.
>>>
>>> Failing lasers are the single most common failure mode of both computer
>>> DVD/CD drives and also CD audio and DVD video players/recorders.  A
>>> typical life of 2 years is actually about average for a computer drive.
>>> Fortunately, they are cheap to replace.

0
CMG

Problems with ( Read only ) in excel
created several workbooks, burned to CD. When I open a workbook and add data, then try to save it says I have to rename the workbook ( would like to keep same name, but can change. After changing the name, when I try to save it says" cannot save because it is READ ONLY. If I goto properties and try to unclick read only box it says access denied. How do I correct this? Thanks John John First of all.......you should never save to or open from removable media directly. Save to HDD then copy to the CD. Same when opening. Copy to HDD then reset the "read-only" then open. The...

Email deleting after being read
One of my users has a problem. Her email seems to delete from her inbox after being read. When she is connected to the network normally there is no problem. it only seems to occurs when she is dialed into our citrix server. I have checked for rules and filters and there are none set up. Her view is set properly as well. No one else has this problem. Any help would be appreciated. thanks. WMorrissey@libertymgt.com <WMorrissey@libertymgt.com> wrote: > One of my users has a problem. Her email seems to delete from her > inbox after being read. Make sure she has View>Arrange By&g...

Outlook 2002 -- no preview pane, not marking as read
Hello, Outlook 2002 SP2 (Win 2000) stopped displaying the lower half screen preview pane (although the option to do so is checked). It also stopped Marking As Read messages after 1 second, although it did so before. All these mayhem started after an unexpected Outlook crash. Rebooting Win 2000 did not help. Any help? Thanks, Erik ---- -------------------------------------------- Where every business is an eBusiness: Complete eCommerce services you can afford! -------------------------------------------- www.CheapBusinessHosting.Info Problem solved. Thanks for reading. Erik ----...

CE6 AP to read user input from debug port
Hi: i write an AP to test my serial port 16c550. my BSP: MIPSII debug port (com0) is already work OK . and add the 16c550 serial port. to try my 16c550 serial port driver , i write an AP to read/write 16c550 com. and the debug message(printf(AP), RETAILMSG(driver)) theough debug port(com0). the debug port is connected to PC hyperterminal. to get the comport number and baudrate from user input. i use ------>scanf("%d",&aa);//int aa; in CE5 the AP wait at this line to get the user keyin. but in CE6 the AP do not wait at this line and run through..... i am...

Program to read SMTP logs
Guys anyone can suggest a nice program for reading SMTP logs, Thanks in advance oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________________________ oz@msexchange911.noSpam.net MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA Http://www.msexchange911.org Http://www.consultusa.us (Blog) On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:45:02 -0700, oz@msexchange911.org <oz@msexchange911.noSpam.net> wrote: > >Guys anyone can suggest a nice program for reading SMTP logs, >Thanks in advance >oz http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displaylang=en Log Parser 2....

Reading Registry Values
Hello, I am using the CRegKey class, and I am wondering how I can read values from the registry. Sincerely, James Simpson Straightway Technologies http://straightway.no-ip.com Try you should open the parent Key before reading a child registry using CRegKey::Open() CRegKey::QueryValue(..) methods for reading regsitry .. -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com "James Simpson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

how to read/write a list of objects from binary file
Hi, I want to store some items of a listbox temporary to a hard disk. for this instance I writed 2 methodes to write and read from binary file. I've tried 2 different ways CProductList is a list (CList) of CProduct, CProduct is an own class with some attributes like id, name, price. the method my1writeObject works fine, but my1readObject doesn't work: I get a debug assertion failed error when debugging. when using way 2, the method my2writeObject doesn't work: nothing is stored in the binary file. Can any body help please, Tnx ***way 1*** bool my1writeObject(char* fileName, c...

Allow users to read PST files on older versions of Outlook
Some of us actually use different computers with difrerent versions of Outlook. I know this may be hard to believe. For example, my computer at school has an older version, my computer at home has a newer version, and where I work still another. Hard to believe, but sometimes some of us actually switch jobs and the place we worked before had a newer version, and so we lose our old contacts, e-mails, etc because they are not transferable to older versions of Microsoft Outlook. Here's a novel idea; in order to build "good will" make your newer versions better so we are...

read from a text document
Hi Hope i have sent this to the correct group. I am trying to read a text file, extract data from it and then turn it into a xml file. I am using C# 2005. the data is in a text file in this format: NewProd(0,0) = "id1234567" NewProd(0,1) = "title1" NewProd(0,2) = "Joe Blow" NewProd(0,3) = "My product type" NewProd(1,0) = "xy1234568" NewProd(1,1) = "another title" NewProd(1,2) = "John Smith" NewProd(1,3) = "another product type" and so on... I have no problem reading the file using Filestream and StreamRea...

sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o
HP pavillion A1430N Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based AMD Athlon 64xdual Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?- Thanks,- gship http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915169 is applicable to SP3 WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx -=- 02/09/1004:59:13 pm "gship" wrote: > HP pavillion A1430N &...

Mark items as read when deleted
I have read many posts here asking how to mark an item as read when you move it to the deleted items folder but no answer. There are times, when you get into work in the morning etc, that you look through your inbox and delete all the obvious spam (you can see which is spam and which isnt by the sender and/or subject) without having to read it. There are times when an email is deleted by mistake, which isnt spam. For this reason, I like to keep all the email I delete for a number of weeks before they are deleted proper. However, I, like so many others, do not like to look at a folder which s...

Font and text size change when writing email
Hi, When I write an email in CRM 4 web client I'm getting some strange things happening with the txt. When I press enter to the next line the font and text size changes. So you know why this is happening? Thanks, Ben Unfortunately the WYSIWYG editor is not brilliantly clever and you can easily fool it, resulting in source like that below. As you see the second 'hello' has lost its style. <HTML><HEAD><LINK href="/_forms/controls/controls.css.aspx" rel=stylesheet></HEAD> <BODY contentEditable=true> <P><FONT face="Tahoma...

IMy Send Button Is Gone When I Write An E-Mail
Hi, When I click on reply to an e-mail, or even if I try to write a new e-mail...somehow my send button is gone. So I can write an e-mail, but can't send it. Yesterday it was there, and today it is gone. Strange! Elise ...

can not read message text
Hi all, I just upgrade from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 on a Win XP. Using Outlook 2003, when I click on a message, I am unable to read the message text for some reason. The reading pane never display any text. I tried reading my old emails that I know have a lot of message text, but now they are all blank. On the other hand, when I receive a new email and a notification is displayed at the bottom right hand corner, I can see a hint box that shows some of the message content. But when I actually go to open that message, again the reading pane is blank, I can't see any content....

Junkmail and the reading pane
How do I turn off the reading pane only for the junk mail folder ? Sometimes I want to check what emails get delivered into the junk mail folder so no real emails are lost, however whenever I do that it opens the first junkmail in the reading pane by default. I don't want to turn it off completely, only for the junk mail folder. PL. While displaying the junk email folder, click view|reading pane|Off. -- Guy Lapierre www.forefrontbusinesssolutions.com "PL" <pblse2@yahoo.se> wrote in message news:OLw$VYPmEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > > How do I turn off...

No Reading Pane Text Size????
Where is the font selection / text size control for the Outlook 2003 reading pane (incoming emails)? I just bought a brand new dell with windows xp and all and I can't even increase the text size of incoming emails as I could with older versions of Outlook Express. I have been trying to figure this out for around 15 hours now and have come up empty. What kind of progress is this anyway???? A program rendered unable to accomplish such a simple practical thing like that!! Im very upset. My vision is poor. Unless I get an answer soon, I am considering a return of this unit to dell...

Read/Write to offline database
Hi all, Does anyone know of any 'recommended' ways of reading/writing to the MSCRM database when in offline mode? I need to perform lookups on the data in there, and maybe even update/create new records. TIA, Tim Young Tim, If your talking about going directly against the MSDE datastore, I would HIGHLY discourage this. Look into the SDK, as they did provide some information about cutomsizing the Outlook client with the June upgrade to it (though I haven't dug into it specifically). If you update the MSDE datastore directly, you risk those updates not making it back into t...

Newbie needs help writing a function
Hey all, I am trying to write a function for a Module. Here is my code: Public Function fncModelNo(OptionKey As Variant) Dim ModelNo As Variant ModelNo = Left([OptionKey], InStr([OptionKey], ".") - 1) Debug.Print ModelNo End Function When I try to run this I receive a Compile error: Argument not optional. What help tells me is that I am probably missing an argument on part of my code, unfortunately I seemed to not be able to find it. If I put just the Left(**********) as an expresion on a query, then the code works, but I am trying to place the code in ...

how to write dynamic link library for excel to use?
HI, I tried to use these code, However, I need the variable that can be shared among different modules and different workbooks. e.g, I have written an addin workbook : addin.xla and I declared an array called arr1() as double. then I use this array in other sheet to copy the values into this array from another workbook book1,xls and I find that it doesn't work. may you help me again? thanks Desmond >-----Original Message----- > >as per my later response....using public variables makes >the adta available to other code modules. >If you want the data vailable some o...

read-only attribute
All of a sudden, I can't edit any of my word docs because they all claim to be read-only. However, when I check the properties, the read-only box for the file I'm using isn't checked. Until today, I was always able to edit and overwrite my files. Please advise. See the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid c...

Excel files reporting read only
I have an issue where a user I provide support for is being told that a file that has not been opened for a couple of months is reporting as being locked for editing by the last user to save the file (in some cases these users no longer exist on our network). When you check the open files on the server, these files are not showing as open. If teh user clicks to close, and then immediatley re-opens the file it opens as normal. There are no temporary files in the folder that the files are located in and I have cleared the temp folders on the client and on the server. The user has full control...

Sales Routine
I am looking at using this functionality in GP. Looks pretty straightforward. Is there anything I should be aware of in starting to use this. Quirks etc? Thanks. Under Customer options, make sure the Maximum Writeoff option is set to either Unlimited or a Maximum amount when using this feature. "hupton" wrote: > I am looking at using this functionality in GP. Looks pretty > straightforward. Is there anything I should be aware of in starting to use > this. Quirks etc? Thanks. We have multiple customers using this functionality, works great, no complaints. As ...

The word limit is too short. 175-225. Can you write 1,000 words?
I'm struggling and frustrating myself with creating a newsletter in publisher. I have articles that I have written that are all 1,000 words or so. Is this too many words for newsletter articles? Publisher only allows 175-225 per section. This would be a MAJOR editing job to cut down to this level. Furthermore, significant information will be lost. I suppose articles are supposed to be short and to the point when creating a 'newsletter.' Your suggestion/comment will be appreciated. Ken You can write a book in Publisher, what you need to do is link your text boxes...

problem writing AVI file
I am writing AVI files, following the Microsoft writeavi.c sample program. Works fine, except for one annoying issue: After opening the AVI file with AVIFileOpen, I create an AVI stream with AVIFileCreateStream. Here you have to pass an AVISTREAMINFO structure, in which you specify, among other thigs the fccType and the fccHandler. But the handler is not known yet, so I set it to zero, as in the MS sample code. Then I call AVISaveOptions, to let the user choose a compressor. After that call, the fccHandler can be found in the AVICOMPRESSOPTIONS structure, but it is too late!!! Note that AVIS...

'Save As' warning 'Protected and therefore read only'
Something happened to my workbook when I e-mailed the file to another site. When I try to 'Save As', a warning pops up saying"The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read only". I then click the "OK" 11 times and it lets me "save As". My older versions of the workbook do not do this. Thx for your help. Jerry do you have this workbook posted on a site available for download? its hard to diagnose this problem without seeing the code ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.c...