Administrator vs User

When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
"Ron Patterson"

In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
    Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
    Guest - "Guest account is off"
    Asp Net Machine - Limited Account

When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.

Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

Ron Patterson

0
Ron
6/5/2010 7:25:18 PM
windowsxp.basics 358 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
>     Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
>     Guest - "Guest account is off"
>     Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
> thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.
>
> Ron Patterson

I'm no expert, and one of them will surely get back to you
on this. But I found that, to act as the TRUE Administrator, I
had to boot up in Safe Mode. Then the genu-wine Asministrator
capabilities come into being.
0
William
6/5/2010 7:30:40 PM
Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I installed Windows on this new hard drive, I never set up a user
> account - just administator - and used no passwords.  That is the way it is
> on other two hard drives.  For 3 days, until I updated Windows, I never had
> to log in.  Now after updates I have only one choice to log in - that is as
> "Ron Patterson"
>
> In Control Panel / User Accounts there are three icons:
>     Ron Patterson, Computer Administrator
>     Guest - "Guest account is off"
>     Asp Net Machine - Limited Account
>
> When I boot up I have to log in as user - Ron Patterson.  But when I try to
> run Acronis True Image it says it requires administrator priviledges.  I
> thought I was the administrator.  I try to find an administrator account to
> log into but the only account is Ron Patterson, Computer Administator which
> apparently I am not.  Without logging in as Administrator I can't run (or
> delete) this program which is very important to me.  I am very confused.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of the User Account without losing all my
> programs?  -  or at least to log in so I have administrator rights.

XP Home - Logon in Safe Mode
XP Pro - Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice at the logon screen

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
To copy a user profile

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291555
The "Copy To" Button in the System Properties Dialog Box Is Unavailable

John
0
John

Disappearing Data from User-defined Text Fields
Has anyone else had data mysteriously disappear from text fields both local and enterprise? Might be a sign of file corruption. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > Has anyone else had data mysteriously disappear from text fields both > local and enterprise? > Or clear out your active cache... I've seen lots of issues there... -- Regards, Ben. http://www.applepark.co.uk http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "Andrew Lavinsky" wrote: > Might be a sign of file corruption. > > > - Andrew Lavinsk...

prevent the users from making changes to the excel report
I have an application written in Visual Basic 6. My application creates a Customer Details Report in Excel. All done till here but now my problem is that I want to prevent the users from making changes to the excel report or to copy/paste/delete data from my report or to save file as another name. I tried protecting the sheet but that only solves half of the problem, user can still save file as another name and copy the data. Use of macro is strictly not allowed. Please help. Thanks in advance As long as users can access your Excel workbook they can defeat any security you place on it to prev...

Multiple users of one shared database on 2003 and 2007
Hi Our office recently upgraded 50% of our machines to office 2007, unfortunately as 50% are still running office 2003 we are having issues with functionality in the shared database (created in 2003) the command buttons created using wizards in 2003 are not working in 2007, in addition to this i have the added risk of 2007 users potentially saving the file in 2007 format, making is inaccessible to the 2003 users. I understand that I can split the database and create a new interface in 2007 for the 2007 users, (fixing all of the buttons) however am I able to link front ends from 2 versions to...

Can't see current users expansion button
When I try to follow the directions below to see who is currently logged inot GPS v. 9, I don't get the expansion button the directions refer to. Any ideas? Go to >>Help>>Index>>for keyword to find, enter "user login activity window" You will get the following: File >> User and Company >> Current Users expansion button Use the User Login Activity window to view the users currently accessing Microsoft Dynamics GP, the company each is working in, and the date they started working with that company (based on the internal clock of the current ...

Excel reporting incorrect user in "file in use by"
We are currently experiencing a issue that that some of our users (some of which are laptop users that use the offline files feature) try to open for example an Excel file and it will be reported as being currently in use by a named user. So far no problem. However this user does not have the file open and if we go to check the open files on the server the file will in fact be open by a different user to the one reported in the excel popup window. Is there a way I can ensure that at least the correct user is reported to having the file open? I'm sure this must be somewhere int h...

Edit a web query in Excel 2002 that runs a dialogue box for the user to input the name of the city.
I am trying to set up This name is then used by the web query to complete the UR eg http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/world/owac/EU/climate/Athens.html or http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/world/owac/EU/climate/Cork.htm In early editions of Excel this involved inserint the live /[“city” “which city?”].html eg http://www.onlineweather.com/v4/world/owac/EU/climate/[“city” “which city?”].htm Has anyone worked out how to do this in Excel 2002 ...

Delete a user
How can I delete a user once all records have been re-assigned and all licenses and security roles removed? You can't remove users. ...

New OE newsgroup user questions
I'm new to newsgroups and access via Outlook Express. Where can if find documentation or descriptions on how to really use OE effectively w/ forums. My main question right now is: How do I reply to a reply that someone posted to my new post? If I click Reply Group in OE I get a msg "Do you want to reply to the entire newsgroup. Is this the correct options to add another level of input to my original post, or will this go to every post in the newsgroup? I would also like to know how to do things like: Searching forums for specific words or phrases? Can I se...

How to Restrict Outbound SMTP for Specific User
I have users that I want to restrict from emailing external to the company but allow internal email. Found article 244008 but it was for Ex5.5. I applied the same fix but email still went out. Basic steps were: Internet Mail SMTP Connector, Properties, Delivery Restrictions, Reject Messages From, Add. Should this work or am I missing something? Hi Shawn Here is a link that should help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html Make sure you make the Registry change as detailed in the notes section. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Limited This posting is provided "AS IS" w...

User can Create the Batch but can't access in Purchaing>Transactions>Return Batches
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C96446.E4A61DF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable User can create a new batch, save it but when goes back to view the TRX = and tries to open the RETURN BATCHES by clicking on LookUp Button; it = says the User does not have the Security Privilege to access it. Hard to believe is that how come a User can create but can't view his = own crated Batch. ------=_NextPart_000_00BB_01C96446.E4A61DF0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1&quo...

Number of users per message store.
Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per message store, other tan counting them seperatly. Thanks, Mark in the ESM, you should be able to drill down to "Mailboxes", select them all, and get a count down in the "status" bar... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mark A. Dudley" <mark@nospamcjmnetworking.com> wrote in message news:447495a7.179533468@msnews.microsoft.com... > Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per > message store, other tan counting them seperatly. > > Thanks, > Mark On Wed, 24 Ma...

Script to restrict users ability to login
I am looking for a script which we can run to effectively restrict all 'non-administrative' users from logging into GP at certain times. We have all transactions flowing into GP through integrations, and in the case of a failure of these integrations, I need a way to stop all users from logging into GP until the failure is found and rectified and the systems are back 'in balance'. I would then like to run another script to replace the previous security settings, thereby allowing all users the ability to login again. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be accompli...

Forcing users to use a custom Contacts form OR removing Contacts
Using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 Is it possible to set it so all users use a cusom contacts form for new items in their "Outlook Today" folders? Or better still, is there a way to remove the Contacts folder, or make it point to a folder in the public folders tree? Thanks! Sparks... ...

How to remove a node AND VS from a cluster?
Hey everyone, We are running a Win2k3 domain and Exchange 2003 w/sp2 in a four node cluster (3 active and 1 passive). Each active node is running one VS. We would like to remove one of the nodes from the cluster and use that server for a file server. Our plan is to move all mailboxes from one VS to the other two. Then we would like to delete the empty VS and remove the node from the cluster. That would leave us with a three node cluster (2 active and 1 passive). Can anyone give me some pointers one how to do that, any white papers or Tech notes? -- TIA, Clayton P.S.: I wrote an ...

viewing another users calendar
Hi All, When attempting to view one certain users calendar the message "unable to display the folder. the calendar folder could not be found" is displayed, this is also the same for the inbox etc. This is only happening for one user. All other users can view this calendar and i can view all other users calendars. Does any one have any suggestions? ...

Exch2K3
Hi You All! I'm currently evaluating Exchange Server 2003 for a corporate customer with 30 mailboxes. I read somewhere (Windows IT Pro Magazine, june 2005) that the IS (Information Store) for the Standard version is limited to 16 GB. Doesn't it really mean that in my case (30 users), each user will be limited to 500 MB of mails, more or less? Is there a way to avoid this limitation (archiving the mails etc...) and be able to stick to the Standard version, instead of the Enterprise version which is pretty off the financial means of my customer? Help appreciated. Nicolas First o...

Web based vs outlook CRM
I am new to a company that has the CRM web based program. The main things i am needing to accomplish are: - merging contact info. for aprox. 2000 accounts into customer e-mails and fax templates This is our PRIMARY focus and goal for the inside sales group. QUESTION - CAN THIS EASILY BE ACCOMPLISHED USING THE WEB BASED VERSION OF CRM, OR DO I NEED THE OUTLOOK VERSION ?????? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cann't be done using the web version. So you will need the outlook client. Mail merge is one of the functions which is specific to the outlook client --...

EmailXaminer vs EmailXtender from LEGATO Systems, Inc.
Hi, does anyone use the above products from LEGATO in their MS Exchange messaging environment? From the descriptions, those 2 products seem to offer the identical functionalities which causes a lot of confusion for me. My goals are to make all inbound & outbound mail for my entire organization (MS Exchange 5.5) and Instant Message (IM) to be SEC compliant. My questions: 1/ which product should I choose? Or do I need both of them? (which I don't believe so). 2/ Do you know any other third-party software that can be used to achieve my goal. Your inputs are greatly apprec...

CRM 3.0 User and Administrator's Manuals
Do printable (.pdf) exist for CRM 3.0 User and Administrator's Manuals Yes and no. There is an implementation guide that ships with CRM 3.0 and could be sort of considered an administrators manual. As for a user manual. The closest is from the application training course which you would have to buy. ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "mkatsev" <mkatsev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAF87377-4592-4025-8DA8-B93E89CF87B3@microsoft.com.....

Access as frontend for Oracle vs NET as frontend for Oracle
Hi, I want to build an application with .NET Framework C#/ and Oracle as Database, or with Access as Frontend for Oracle. What are the advantages / disadvantages of these ways (security, speed, query, etc.) ? Which one would be your choice and way? Thank you very much in advance for your opinion. regards SePp hi, SePp wrote: > What are the advantages / disadvantages of these ways (security, > speed, query, etc.) ? The main difference is development speed. Access is some kind of RAD (rapid application development) tools. > Which one would be your choice and way? This really de...

CHotKeyCtrl
Hey, I have a dialog on which I've placed a hotkey control which I've wired to a CHotKeyCtrl wrapper. How do I detect when the user has changed the hotkey inside the control? ClassWizard is only showing me a NM_OUTOFMEMORY message to map, I need some sort of FIELD_CHANGED message to respond to so that I can update the hotkey with the system table. Anybody know what message to process? Thanks, Dave "Dave" <neorife@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0cOcnVXdFd17YpeiXTWJjQ@comcast.com... > Hey, > > I have a dialog on which I've placed a hotkey control whi...

Numpad Enter vs. Keyboad Enter, different virtual key codes?
I'm working with a 3rd party program that takes hotkeys for data entry into the program. I've created a little program to help with tedious inputs, however have come across a stumbling block. All data inputed into the program is culminated by hitting the Enter key on the Numpad... if you hit the Enter key on the keyboard, it doesn't operate as a hotkey. This is perplexing to me, as I've never seen a reference to a virtual key code distinguishing the two Enter keys. Using the regular VK_RETURN does not work. Does anyone have any ideas on this issue, or how I might be able to get...

User accounts how do I dlete and restore also want to keep data
I know hoiw to delete an exchange user on the client and on the server itself with the SBS tools. My question is this.......when I delte the user profile from the server does the data and mail stores get deleted too? also. If I re-create the user profiles with the exact same info, will exchange try to create new data stores and emails or will it allow me access to the existing ones. Just curious before I go ahead with it thanks I have never used SBS version so i'm not sure if there's anything different, however when you delete a user, Excahnge by default will keep the "mai...

HELP:user-fill in form
I need a excel-file with 2 tabs. In the first tab It must be able to fill a week nr. And then som other values. Then that values must automattically filled in, in Tab2 in the righ column of that week. If you can help me, please reply !!! Thanks in advance, Stif -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You weren't very specific as to if this is from one cell on sheet1 or for all cells in a column. In any event, you can use a worksheet_change event on a worksheet module to this sort of thing. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stift >" <<S...

Accept/decline meetings or another user's behalf
Hi Is there a way to give a another user permission to accept/deny meetings? Thanks Regards This probably belongs to the Outlook Group Since this is a SBS Server Group (Assuming you are talking about Outlook) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads However You can give another person permission to view and add appointments to your calendar using the steps that are listed below: 1.Within Outlook, click on the Tools menu and select Options. The Options dialog box will appear. 2.Select the Delegates tab. 3.Click the Add button. The Add ...