Windows Update - Excel 2003

My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

Extra info:
When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation, deselecting
Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there so I
clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003.
I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that it kept
telling me that it was available.

I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow shield
but it reappeared later on.

It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop it?

Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

And the KB number of the update in question is...?

Traci007 wrote:
> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
> able to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update
> at all. I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it
> had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I
> installed it. After failing to install several times, I decided to
> uninstall Excel from Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after
> uninstalling Excel, I still got the windows update alert. How do I stop
> it?
>
> Extra info:
> When windows update first appeared, I did a custom installation,
> deselecting
> Excel 2003 and Outlook. I don't use both so I didn't see the point in
> updating them. After installing, I noticed the yellow shield still there
> so
> I clicked on it. It said that it had 1 update available, which was Excel
> 2003. I remembered not wanting to update it, so I thought it was odd that
> it kept telling me that it was available.
>
> I even tried doing a custom installation again, unchecked Excel 2003, and
> from there I just clicked 'close'. It temporary got rid of the yellow
> shield
> but it reappeared later on.
>
> It's very irritating, does anyone know what I did wrong and how to stop
> it?

0
PA
3/13/2010 7:12:47 AM
I have a similiar problem.

The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
repeatedly.  I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I continually
get the message that I need this update, and then it fails.  I am running XP.
 I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure I
didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version.  (I am running
Office 2000.)  And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
again, and I can't make it stop.

Any ideas?

============

"Traci007" wrote:

> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able
> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all.
> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it.
> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still
> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

And just to clarify, I am running XP-Media version, SP3.  I have never
installed the Office Excel 2003 demo version, but that doesn't mean it didn't
try to install from time to time.  I am running Office 2000.  All the
security updates are automatic.

"TakeNotes" <TakeNotes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a similiar problem.
>
> The Security Update for Office Excel 2003 (KB978474) has failed to install
> repeatedly.  I am not even running Office Excel 2003, but yet I
> continually
> get the message that I need this update, and then it fails.  I am running
> XP.
> I have run CC-Cleaner to clean up any junk in Registry, etc., to make sure
> didn't have any residual files for Excel 2003 demo version.  (I am running
> Office 2000.)  And yet, this automatic security update fails over and over
> again, and I can't make it stop.
>

> Any ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-017.mspx

<quote>
Does the offer to update a non-vulnerable version of Microsoft Office
constitute an issue in the Microsoft update mechanism?

No, the update mechanism is functioning correctly in that it detects a lower
version of the files on the system than in the update package and thus,
offers the update.
</quote>

So, since you apparently need this update, have you tried downloading it and
installing it manually in a more controlled environment?   ; )

If  it still "fails" after that, you will have to be more precise about your
symptom description.  E.g. look in the install log for more clues.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> ============
>
> "Traci007" wrote:
>
>> My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being
>> able
>> to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at
>> all.
>> I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1
>> update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed
>> it.
>> After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from
>> Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I
>> still
>> got the windows update alert. How do I stop it?

0
Robert
3/13/2010 5:59:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history logs
to find out the problem.

It says Error Code:  0x57A.

I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
resolve this issue.

Still puzzled.

"TakeNotes"

> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> I did trying getting the update manually, and then searched the history
> logs
> to find out the problem.
>
> It says Error Code:  0x57A.

Convert that to decimal and search with it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

(Microsoft search for
    1402 excel update
)

> I have searched for clues about this error code, but have been unable to
> resolve this issue.
>
> Still puzzled.

HTH

Robert
---

0
Robert

Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute everytime I compose or respond to a message
In OWA, Every time I try to compose or respond to a message, the Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute and asks for the CD. Unfortunately, this Office 2000 problem has come up again even after all the updates to Office 2000. Also I am having trouble logging out. When I hit the logoff button, it brings up a sign-in screen asking for ID & password again. Whether I cancel it or fill it in and type OK, it then gives me a screen that says "access denied". I never get a screen which says that logout was successful. I have the same problem here... From what I've s...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Excel not Access