Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 11-25-09

Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses
offered.

My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to
load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The "Error
Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code
with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual workaround
from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to
no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
resolve this issue?

0
BigRedWingsFan

I have found the following tool to be helpful:
http://download.cnet.com/Dial-a-fix/3000-18512_4-84157.html

It will automatically reset WU and other issues, including flushing the
Software Distribution folder.  Try it and see if it helps.

P.S. it does not recognized IE8 so just ignore when/if you get a message
"cannot recognize current browser"; it will still work despite that message.

"BigRedWingsFan" wrote:

> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses
> offered.
>
> My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to
> load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The "Error
> Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code
> with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual workaround
> from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to
> no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
> resolve this issue?
Hello Randy,

FYI

Dial-a-Fix is NOT use with Vista
-=-

"Randy Bell" wrote:

> I have found the following tool to be helpful:
> http://download.cnet.com/Dial-a-fix/3000-18512_4-84157.html
>
> It will automatically reset WU and other issues, including flushing the
> Software Distribution folder.  Try it and see if it helps.
>
> P.S. it does not recognized IE8 so just ignore when/if you get a message
> "cannot recognize current browser"; it will still work despite that message.
>

> "BigRedWingsFan" wrote:
>
> > Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses
> > offered.
> >
> > My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to
> > load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The "Error
> > Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code
> > with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual workaround
> > from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to
> > no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
> > resolve this issue?
> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/search?q=80073712&start=0&scoring=d

80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT
CSI does not support multiple concurrent writes by design

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

The above notwithstanding...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

BigRedWingsFan wrote:
> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no
>
> My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to
> load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The
> "Error
> Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error
> code
> with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual
> workaround
> from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application
> no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
> resolve this issue?

0
PA
11/25/2009 8:29:59 AM
OOPs you're right, sorry I goofed! :)

I know the author is working on Vista version but not finished with that yet!

Thanks for your gracious correction. :)

>> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no
>
> cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/search?q=80073712&start=0&scoring=d
>
> 80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT
> CSI does not support multiple concurrent writes by design

From Windows "Help & Support" (direct link from Windows Uodate Error Code)

"WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Here are solutions to some common problems with installing updates.

 I tried to install updates but one or more didn't get installed.
If the following questions don't address the problem, you can learn more
about what happened and what to do next by reviewing any error messages that
are displayed in Windows Update.

 Click to open Windows Update.

If an error has occurred, it will be displayed with an error code that you
can use to search online for help.

Did you accept the Microsoft Software License Terms? Install the update
again and review and accept the license terms.

 Click to open Windows Update.

Review any error messages.

If an error message about license terms or cancelled updates is displayed,
click Try again, and then wait until you are prompted to review the license
terms.

Accept the license terms, and then wait to see if the update is installed
successfully.

Is there enough free disk space on your computer? If you need more free
space on your hard disk, you might need to uninstall programs, delete your
temporary Internet files, delete files that you don't use, or empty the
Recycle Bin, and then try again to install updates.

Did you cancel the installation process or disconnect from the Internet?
It's fine if you did. Just check for updates again and install any updates
that were cancelled or interrupted.

 I keep being offered an update from Windows that I don't want or that I
already removed.
You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't offer it to you again
unless you choose to restore it.

 I hid an update but now I want to install it.
You need to restore the update to the list of updates that Windows can
offer, and then install it. Here's how:

 Click to open Windows Update.

In the left pane, click Restore hidden updates.

Select the update that you want to install, and then click Restore.  If you
are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

Windows will automatically check for updates, and then prompt you to install
the update that you restored and any new updates that might be available.

 I restored hidden updates but I can't find the one that I want to install.
That's because a more recent update addresses the same problem as the update
that you tried to restore. Windows will offer you the more recent update
only.

 My computer was turned off during a scheduled update.
If your computer is turned on during the next scheduled update, the updates
will be installed. If new updates are ready to be installed, you can also
install them before turning off your computer.

 I keep getting prompted to restart my computer to finish installing
updates.
Some updates apply to files or services that Windows is using. These types
of updates can't be installed while Windows is running so you should save
your work, close any open programs, and then restart your computer to finish
the update process.

 I installed updates (or a driver update) and now one of my devices doesn't
work.
You might need to revert to a previous version of the driver for that
device. Check the manufacturer's website for a more recent version of the
driver, or remove the driver and restart your computer. For help with these
steps, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly.

 I tried these troubleshooting steps but I still can't solve the problem.
What should I do next?
Try one of these options:

If Windows Update displays an error code or error message, search Help and
Support using the error code or error message as your search terms. To
include the latest Help content in your search, make sure that you're
searching Windows Help online. For more information, see Get the latest Help
content.

Go to the Discussions in Windows Update website to see if someone else has
found a solution, or to request help from other Windows users.

Go to the Windows Update Support Center website to try to find more
information about the error code or to request support by e-mail.

For troubleshooting problems with installing updates, go to this Microsoft
Knowledge Base article on the Microsoft Help and Support website.

Help and Support search term: WindowsUpdate_dt000

See also
How can I tell if my computer is up to date?
Change how Windows installs or notifies you about updates
Updates: frequently asked questions
Keeping computers on a network up to date

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

Trend MicroInternet Security (firewall is disabled, I used the Windows one
that came with Vista).

> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?

No.

> The above notwithstanding...
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

From my original post:  I have also tried the manual workaround from the
Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to no
avail.

> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> BigRedWingsFan wrote:
>> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no
>>
>> My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed
>> load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The
>> "Error
>> Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error
>> code
>> with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual
>> workaround
>> from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application
>> no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
>> resolve this issue?

0
BigRedWingsFan
11/26/2009 1:03:36 AM
Hi Randy,

Don't worry, that happen to all.
-=-

"Randy Bell" wrote:

> OOPs you're right, sorry I goofed! :)
>
> I know the author is working on Vista version but not finished with that yet!
>
> Thanks for your gracious correction. :)
>

> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > Hello Randy,
> >
> > FYI
> >
> > Dial-a-Fix is NOT use with Vista
> > -=-
> >

> > "Randy Bell" wrote:
> >
> > > I have found the following tool to be helpful:
> > > http://download.cnet.com/Dial-a-fix/3000-18512_4-84157.html
> > >
> > > It will automatically reset WU and other issues, including flushing the
> > > Software Distribution folder.  Try it and see if it helps.
> > >
> > > P.S. it does not recognized IE8 so just ignore when/if you get a message

Suggest you Clean boot Vista, then download and *save* the System Update
Readiness Tool (CheckSUR):

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

80073712 is listed on the errors table.

" The following table lists error messages that you might receive when
you try to install a software update. These errors might be caused by a
system irregularity that the System Update Readiness Tool might be able
to resolve. However, the tool might be unable to fix all instances in
which these errors occur. "

If CheckSUR can not resolve the error, then please post one of the logs
it will create when it's run:
* Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
* Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

The error most likely was caused by Trend Micro as it apparently
prevented writes to either the registry or winsxs and "the component
store is in an inconsistent state".

P.S. Go Sharks ! <w>

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

BigRedWingsFan wrote:

>>> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no
>>

>> cf.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/search?q=80073712&start=0&scoring=d
>>

>> 80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT
>> CSI does not support multiple concurrent writes by design
>

>  From Windows "Help & Support" (direct link from Windows Uodate Error Code)
>
> "WindowsUpdate_80073712" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
<snip>

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
>> Defender)?
>> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>

> Trend MicroInternet Security (firewall is disabled, I used the Windows
> one that came with Vista).
>

>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>

> No.
>

>> The above notwithstanding...
>>
>> How do I reset Windows Update components?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>

>  From my original post:  I have also tried the manual workaround from
> the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to
> no avail.
>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> BigRedWingsFan wrote:
>>
>>> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no
>>>
>>> My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has
>>> failed to
>>> load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The
>>> "Error
>>> Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error
>>> code
>>> with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual
>>> workaround
>>> from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It
>>> application
>>> no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
>>> resolve this issue?

0
MowGreen
11/26/2009 7:33:22 PM
I have the same problem with my XPS laptop.  The update to update agent will
not install.  The problem began on 11/12/2009.  It has to be a problem with
the update.  I've tried every suggestion posted and nothing works.  It must
be some idiot in Redmond justifying their existence by writing another
program with bugs so they can fix it a year later.

"BigRedWingsFan" wrote:

> Note:  This question was posed to the vista.general group with no responses
> offered.
>
> My Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium has failed to
> load the subject update on 20 different occasions since 13Nov09.  The "Error
> Details"  is Code 80073712, which is nothing more than a general error code
> with no specific fixes recommended.  I have also tried the manual workaround
> from the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to
> no avail.  Anybody have an idea as to how to
> resolve this issue?
>
> .

You are obviously only guessing at the problem.  I am using "One Care" and
have the same issue.  Cleaning up this and that and trying to find
"work-arounds" is just bad advice from everyone including Microsoft.
Microsoft needs to remove the "update to update" from the server and fix the
program and re-post it and quit treating their customers like "crash test"
dummies.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]
> <snip>
> >

> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)?
> >> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >

> > Trend MicroInternet Security (firewall is disabled, I used the Windows
> > one that came with Vista).
> >

> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >

> > No.
> >

> >> The above notwithstanding...
> >>
> >> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> >

> >  From my original post:  I have also tried the manual workaround from
> > the Window Help site as well as the Window Update Fix-It application to

Excuse me for trying to help.
FYI, I do not work for MS and have been assisting other Users in this
newsgroup for over 8 years.

I'm *not* guessing.

Suggest you start your own thread and not butt into other's.
Thanks.

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

spierce00 wrote:

> You are obviously only guessing at the problem.  I am using "One Care" and
> have the same issue.  Cleaning up this and that and trying to find
> "work-arounds" is just bad advice from everyone including Microsoft.
> Microsoft needs to remove the "update to update" from the server and fix the
> program and re-post it and quit treating their customers like "crash test"
> dummies.

0
MowGreen
12/1/2009 6:13:26 PM
"spierce00" <spierce00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:315BDB13-C86C-479A-9BF3-B878DBB004C8@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem with my XPS laptop.  The update to update agent will
> not install.  The problem began on 11/12/2009.  It has to be a problem with
> the update.

> I've tried every suggestion posted and nothing works.

Then now's your chance to do your own diagnosis and find your own
solution.  Then please come back and share it so we can add it to
the list of things to try.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

0
Robert
12/1/2009 10:48:11 PM
To avoid confusion, feel free begin a new thread about your specific problem
(and infected computer).  State your IE version and full Windows version
(e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

spierce00 wrote:
> I have the same problem with my XPS laptop.  The update to update agent
> will
> not install.  The problem began on 11/12/2009.  It has to be a problem
> with
> the update.  I've tried every suggestion posted and nothing works.  It
> must
> be some idiot in Redmond justifying their existence by writing another
> program with bugs so they can fix it a year later.

0
PA
12/1/2009 11:04:07 PM
I apologize for accusing you of guessing without knowing your background.
BUT I seriously have tried your suggestions (and others) and none of them
have worked yet.

The suggestion to clean boot and run the readiness tool seamed like a good
idea but after an two hours of waitng for the program to run I have obviously
abandoned this suggestion.

If I do find a solution sort of ditching Vista and my "Windows" Po'C I will
share the exact solution with Mr. Aldwinckle who must be searching for the
same solution.  Perhaps he's also looking for a Windows OS that doesn't need
to be continually updated.

> This should be the same thread (Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226).  As it
> is
> the same frustrating issue.

Agreed.

> So why make it more confusing by needing to track a different thread?  The
> benefit of tracking one thread with many people having the same issue is
> that
> if one person solves a problem the whole group benefits.  So I'll keep
> posting to this thread and hopefully if WE or Microsoft finds a solution
> The
> Big Red Wings fan will benefit from it as well.

Sometimes these calls for help end up looking like trial and error
experiments for dummies(tm) when the "mvp's" don't get lucky on their first
or second guess.  Then you have to read about how big of an idiot you must
be, even after following their instructions to the letter, because what they
told you to do didn't work.  And on top of that, you are then "ordered" to
report back with any fix you may find elsewhere.  They must need to update
their notes for the next "helpless" victim.  IMO, there really hasn't been a
truly helpful newsgroup since the ME one was active.  At the very least, the
MVPs were respectful, the other posters friendly, and you could have an OT
conversation without fear of being turned in to MS to be blacklisted from
ever posting again.

I am currently having this issue worked by a MS tech at their on-line help
desk.  Her first work-around resulted in the same failure but from a
different approach.  She is currently reviewing both my update log as well
as my system info file to see which direction we go next.  I will post the
final fix if it is ever figured out.

> I'm sorry I didn't include my specifics as to model number and OS.  It's a
> Dell XPS 1530 running Vista SP2, and One Care.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To avoid confusion, feel free begin a new thread about your specific
>> problem
>> (and infected computer).  State your IE version and full Windows version
>> (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.
>>

>> spierce00 wrote:
>> > I have the same problem with my XPS laptop.  The update to update agent
>> > will
>> > not install.  The problem began on 11/12/2009.  It has to be a problem
>> > with
>> > the update.  I've tried every suggestion posted and nothing works.  It
>> > must
>> > be some idiot in Redmond justifying their existence by writing another
>> > program with bugs so they can fix it a year later.
>>
>> .

0
BigRedWingsFan

Couldn't Find c:\windows\system32\system.mdw Message
Loaded Access 97 on my new Vista Machine and got the above message when I tried to start Access. How do I fix this ? Vista has more stringent rules about who, and how you can write to the System32 (or Windows for that matter) folder. If you have another machine with and unsecured system.mdw file try to copy it to your new one. If it lets you, you are fine, if not you'll need to work with someone in a Vista newsgroup to figure out what the problem is. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JWalker" <JWalker...

Window Redirection?

update column

Meeting updates #2

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

tesuto 03-11-07
tesuto...

wanted to design a 4 sided A5 leaflet.
Are there any templates available to download? There are pre-designed leaflets within Publisher. You might think about 4-sided... Do you mean a booklet fold? There are templates here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mystic" <Mystic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14C3F9CB-5AA9-4B17-9E8E-1E5DD93227CD@microsoft.com... > Are there any templates available to download? ...

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

Online Price Updates
Somehow online price updating was turned on in my file. I have turned it off. However, when I go to delete the erroneous past-dated Online Prices for a particular stock, it appears they are initialling deleting, but when I return to the stock later, all the deleted online prices (from the past) are re-instated. It is as though none of the price deletions I performed have taken effect. How do I clean up these erroneous past online price updates? ...

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Date format 04-11-06

Duplicate E-Mail #4

Taste this important update
--cgzxgrfb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="uessxwmvq"; type="multipart/alternative" --uessxwmvq Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mweirjjojzzphfh" --mweirjjojzzphfh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to m...

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Active Directory , Windows 2003 SBS to Windows 2008 SBS
Hello! I've got a little issue here. I work for a company and we are getting a new Intelserver. Now the problem is we've got an 32bit windows 2003 small business server with an Active Directory (and sql). And we are getting a Windows 2008 Small business server 64bit. Is there any possible way to ''Transfer'' ''Move'' or ''Copy'' the Active Directory to his new server without changing, removing or adding any data. I really need to be sure that nothing goes wrong cause 25 people are working on it everyday (Ofcourse i have a...

Outlook 98 Crashes in Windows NT
I have a few Windows NT machines that Outlook 98 crashes on with a Dr. Watson error - almost always when the user is typing an e-mail. I have tried re-installing, creating a new outlook profile, and replacing various files related to Outlook 98, but nothing seems to work. It is very important to note that I have many other users who have Windows NT and Outlook 98 on our network that do not have a problem at all. Can anyone decipher the Dr. Watson error message below? Thanks in advance. Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Version 4.00 DrWtsn32 Copyright (C) 1985-1996 Microsoft Corp. All rights r...

distibution list / updating
when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to update our distribution lists at the same time. What do you mean exactly? Can you give an example? Also what version of Outlook are you using? T. >-----Original Message----- >when we update our contacts how can we get outlook to >update our distribution lists at the same time. >. > That's what the Update Now button is for. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "wayne" <wayne@anandasacramento.org> wrote in message news:05ba01c3d4be$e83a5e80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > when we update our contacts how can we g...