Will not update

I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
to update windows I get a error code: 80070490

Can someone please help me with this?

First, configure the system to clean boot:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.

Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
you had previously opened.
Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.

Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
See if the system can update now.
If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
created:

Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

MBaker21 wrote:
> I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
> problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
> with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
> when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
> Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
> Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
> the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
> blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
> like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
> to update windows I get a error code: 80070490
>
> Can someone please help me with this?
0
MowGreen
2/27/2010 12:04:47 AM
It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates" error
code 80070490.

Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
Package Version 7.0
2010-02-26 21:38

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages
(f)	CBS Registry
Error	0x80070103	Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000		failed to get owner for package.
(f)	CBS Registry
Error	0x80070103	Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9		failed to get owner for package.
(f)	CBS Registry
Error	0x80070002	Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000		failed to get Visibility

Checking Component Store

 Found 3 errors
  CBS Registry Error Total count: 3

"MowGreen" wrote:

> First, configure the system to clean boot:
> How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> Vista or in Windows 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>
> IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
> is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.
>
> Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
> for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
> you had previously opened.
> Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.
>
> Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
> See if the system can update now.
> If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
> created:
>
> Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>   *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> MBaker21 wrote:
> > I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
> > problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
> > with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
> > when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
> > Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
> > Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
> > the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
> > blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
> > like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
> > to update windows I get a error code: 80070490
> >
> > Can someone please help me with this?
> .

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

MBaker21 wrote:
> [...]
>>

>> MBaker21 wrote:
>>> I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due
>>> problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from
>>> dell with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the
>>> computer when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update
>>> Vista, Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I
>>> tried
>>> to reload Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a
>>> blank
>>> dvd, but its the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also
>>> randomly goes to a blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory
>>> crash dump" or something like that. I can't get my virus scan to update
>>> or register. Everytime I try to update windows I get a error code:

0
PA
2/27/2010 7:11:12 PM
MBaker21 wrote:
>>  Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
>>  with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
>>  when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
>>  Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc.

> Checking Packages
> (f)	CBS Registry
> Error	0x80070103	Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f)	CBS Registry
> Error	0x80070103	Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f)	CBS Registry
> Error	0x80070002	Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> failed to get Visibility

Package_16_for_KB936330 is a package that was included in Vista SP1.
Package_17_for_KB935509 and Package_for_KB937287 are prerequisite
updates that must be installed prior to the application of SP1.

When you say that Dell sent you the HD " with all the operating systems
programs and files that were on the computer when it was bought ", does
that mean that everything that was on the damaged HD was imaged onto the
new one or that they sent the new HD to you in the same state as when
you first booted up the system ?

0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified
0x80070103 No more data is available

I doubt that the above errors would be causing the various issues that
you included in your initial post. Damaged updating components would not
be causing BSODs and this sure sounds like there's a hardware problem
going on.

Was the system having updating issues when the previous HD was working
properly ?
Have you contacted Dell for their take on this ?

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen
2/27/2010 9:32:27 PM
When they sent the new hd it was sent to me just like the old one was when
the computer was bought. I sent the old one back to them after I got the new
one. Everything was working just fine before I got the new hd, it was just
programs freezing and shuting the computer down before. Now all the programs
work just fine other than updates, and security. How do I find out if its a
hardware problem or not? Could it be a virus? I have not talked to dell about
it because to talk to the techs they charge you every minute that they are on
the phone with you even though I paid for a three year extended warranty. I
need to find out what is going on with it cause I have use this computer for
work and my wife has to have it for school.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> MBaker21 wrote:
> >>  Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
> >>  with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
> >>  when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
> >>  Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc.
>
> > Checking Packages
> > (f)	CBS Registry
> > Error	0x80070103	Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> > failed to get owner for package.
> > (f)	CBS Registry
> > Error	0x80070103	Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9
> > failed to get owner for package.
> > (f)	CBS Registry
> > Error	0x80070002	Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> > failed to get Visibility
>
> Package_16_for_KB936330 is a package that was included in Vista SP1.
> Package_17_for_KB935509 and Package_for_KB937287 are prerequisite
> updates that must be installed prior to the application of SP1.
>
> When you say that Dell sent you the HD " with all the operating systems
> programs and files that were on the computer when it was bought ", does
> that mean that everything that was on the damaged HD was imaged onto the
> new one or that they sent the new HD to you in the same state as when
> you first booted up the system ?
>
> 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified
> 0x80070103 No more data is available
>
> I doubt that the above errors would be causing the various issues that
> you included in your initial post. Damaged updating components would not
> be causing BSODs and this sure sounds like there's a hardware problem
> going on.
>
> Was the system having updating issues when the previous HD was working
> properly ?
> Have you contacted Dell for their take on this ?
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>   *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

I have McAfee and yes the subscription is current. I bought a 3 year
subscription when I bought the computer less than 2 years ago. McAfee is also
firewall. Not sure about the anti-spyware.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> MBaker21 wrote:
> > It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates" error
> > code 80070490.
> >
> > Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.
> >
> > =================================
> > Checking System Update Readiness.
> > Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
> > Package Version 7.0
> > 2010-02-26 21:38
> >
> > Checking Windows Servicing Packages
> >
> > Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
> >
> > Checking Package Watchlist
> >
> > Checking Component Watchlist
> >
> > Checking Packages
> > (f) CBS Registry
> > Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> > failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
> > Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9
> > failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
> > Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
> > failed to get Visibility
> >
> > Checking Component Store

> > Found 3 errors
> >  CBS Registry Error Total count: 3
> >
> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> >> First, configure the system to clean boot:
> >> How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> >> Vista or in Windows 7
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
> >>
> >> IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
> >> is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.
> >>
> >> Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
> >> for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
> >>
> >> Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
> >> you had previously opened.
> >> Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.
> >>
> >> Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
> >> See if the system can update now.
> >> If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
> >> created:
> >>
> >> Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log
> >>

> >> MowGreen
> >> ================
> >>   *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ================
> >>
> >> banthecheck.com

> >> .
>
> .

See if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the problem:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

MBaker21 wrote:
> I have McAfee and yes the subscription is current. I bought a 3 year
> subscription when I bought the computer less than 2 years ago. McAfee is
> also firewall. Not sure about the anti-spyware.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

>> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than

>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> MBaker21 wrote:
>>> It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates"
>>> error
>>> code 80070490.
>>>
>>> Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.
>>>
>>> =================================
>>> Checking System Update Readiness.
>>> Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
>>> Package Version 7.0
>>> 2010-02-26 21:38
>>>
>>> Checking Windows Servicing Packages
>>>
>>> Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
>>>
>>> Checking Package Watchlist
>>>
>>> Checking Component Watchlist
>>>
>>> Checking Packages
>>> (f) CBS Registry
>>> Error 0x80070103
>>> Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
>>> failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
>>> Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.9
>>> failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
>>> Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.18000
>>> failed to get Visibility
>>>
>>> Checking Component Store

>>> Found 3 errors
>>>  CBS Registry Error Total count: 3

>> .

0
PA
3/1/2010 6:47:09 AM
MBaker21 wrote:
> When they sent the new hd it was sent to me just like the old one was when
> the computer was bought. I sent the old one back to them after I got the new
> one. Everything was working just fine before I got the new hd, it was just
> programs freezing and shuting the computer down before. Now all the programs
> work just fine other than updates, and security. How do I find out if its a
> hardware problem or not? Could it be a virus? I have not talked to dell about
> it because to talk to the techs they charge you every minute that they are on
> the phone with you even though I paid for a three year extended warranty. I
> need to find out what is going on with it cause I have use this computer for
> work and my wife has to have it for school.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you purchased an extended
warranty from Dell to cover this *specific* situation, failing or failed
hardware. There's no way in the world that you should be charged
anything for calling in about this.

If everything had been "working just fine" then you would not have
needed to send the damaged HD back to Dell in the first place.
Now the system can not update Windows nor any program that came
installed on the new HD.
Therefore, Dell has replaced the failed HD with a new one whose contents
exactly matches the HD first purchased with the system.

BUT, they have introduced a *new issue* as far as I see it.

If the issue was only about updating Windows, that could be resolved and
would have been noticed when the previous HD was installed.
Since the antivirus can not be updated, then something else is going on
here. I highly doubt there's malware involved here as that would mean
that Dell installed it on the new HD, but, it has happened before.

* Is the system on a home network with a router? *

If yes, suggest you plug the system directly into the *broadband modem*
to rule out the issue stemming from the router.
Can the system update now ?

If it is not on a home network or the system can not update when plugged
directly into the modem, please post *the last 50 or so lines* of the
WindowsUpdate.log into your reply after an attempt to update is done and
fails: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

MowGreen

Applying Patches, Services Pack and Securiy Update
Please confirm on this situation: I have FE-BE environment, 1 FE and 2 BE. One day one of BE server (=BESERVER1)is trouble. I decided to apply patches: KB912442, KB916803, KB911829. First, all services and access to this FE and BE is fine. about an hour or two, user complaint that the OWA is not working. I remember that I should apply the same patches also at FE. then I applied the patches on FE and BESERVER2 (another BE Server). for a while it works allright. but then I got another complaint about OWA access. After several hour work around (rollback patches on FE, and reapply on BE...

FWD: Watch these corrective update from M$ Corporation
--taqhzibek Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="sjrajwyoigtwrop"; type="multipart/alternative" --sjrajwyoigtwrop Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="cfrfxggybtixigoyx" --cfrfxggybtixigoyx Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install...

update 2007
what is the latest ver number? I don't think my copy is updating. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Wayne wrote: >what is the latest ver number? >I don't think my copy is updating. Current 2007 version is 16.0.*.1303. ...

Updating Linked Files
I have 4 Excel files that are all linked (files A,B,C & D). File D pulls data from C File C pulls from B File B pulls from A Any change to the data in file A will make changes in files B, C and D....as long as they're all open. Problem....If I make a change to A, it won't be reflected when I open D unless I also open and update files B and C. Question. When I open file D, how can I get the changes reflected in all of the sub-files automatically. Another Question...Can I set up file D so that when opened, it will trigger the opening of all the others? Can I trigger i...

Office Update 10.2.3 kills network connections to shares.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Don't ask me why, but I witnessed this myself. I just did a clean install on a 27" iMac updated the OS to 10.6.2 set up several SMB shares and ran the final office update 10.2.1.(which I had disk images of) I left the clients place telling him to use the software update on MS Office for the remaining updates. He updated his Office to 10.2.3 and it killed the ability to connect to the shares I had already set up. I went back and tried to reconnect the shares and the "Connect to Server&qu...

Updating New Record form
Hi, I have two tables set up: tblDeals and tblEquip, they have one field in common called: DealCode. I have a query qryEquip that links the two tables based on the DealCode field and adds other tblDeals fields like Customer, Description, etc, to help identify the deal but only the DealCode is stored in the Equip table. Form frmEquip is based on query qryEquip and it is working fine. Here’s what I’m trying to do: When I add a new Equip record I want to be able to look into the tblDeals for the right deal and then pass the DealCode to the frmEquip, then have the frmEquip pull the rest o...

HQ/Store Update Procedures
Is there any documentation on the emthod used to update HQ from a store? What stored procedures used? What do you want to update? Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = = = = = "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8968B192-29EB-46B2-818E-A85F9024A532@microsoft.com... > Is there any documentation on the emthod used to update HQ from a store? > What stored procedures used? HQ. We were jsut wanting expand our knowledge of this process from store to HQ. We cannot find documentation. Log shipping/table by ...

Update from previous versions to GP 10.0
Can I update GP 8.0 to GP 10.0 or I have to update first GP 8.0 to 9.0 and then GP 9.0 to GP 10.0? Please help me as soon as possible, I need to make decisions. Put service pack 5 on version 8, then update from there to 10.0 Make sure you also immediately use sp1 for Version 10 Mike "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12AD9FCB-84AD-45CF-898C-A943DB8216F4@microsoft.com... > Can I update GP 8.0 to GP 10.0 or I have to update first GP 8.0 to 9.0 and > then GP 9.0 to GP 10.0? > > Please help me as soon as possible, I need to make dec...

keeping two computers updated with one money file
I use a desktop at home and a laptop when I am on the road. What I would like to do is be able to keep my money file syncronized between my two computers. Money offers nothing that will help with this. There is no good way to do this short of something like WinXP Synchronization Manager. I can't say as I've tried it or read here of someone who has. Is that an answer to the question you never asked? "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95B9AF2E-EBD5-4D09-826A-1430BF6C035E@microsoft.com... >I use a desktop at home and a laptop when I am on ...

Updating task list in calendar view
I have just recently begun using Outlook, so please forgive the newbie question. Whenever I get a daily calendar view with the task pane on the right, the task list includes all tasks, current and future. I can configure the Outlook Today window to just current tasks and I know that there has to be a way to do the same thing with the calendar view. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Charles right click on the task list and change the view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual...

FWD: Try correction update for Internet Explorer
--zsyimpkmgrdj Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dljfzstvbcot"; type="multipart/alternative" --dljfzstvbcot Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wcajnpnaismbywyg" --wcajnpnaismbywyg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Instal...

Outlook Express will not send receipt
I have Windows Me, Outlook Express 5.0. I receive emails that request a receipt; I checked send receipt always and tried checking ask me first. It tries to send a receipt but then says something like "outlook was unable to send the receipt" It doesn't tell me why or how to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

DisplayAlerts and ScreenUpdate will not set to False
In Excel using VBA code Application.DisplayAlerts = False or Application.ScreenUpdating = False. I F8 step thru the code and watch the value of DisplayAlerts. It never reads False. Seems like it worked yesterday? Is there any setting that would stop this from working? Joe More info. I had been looking at DisplayAlerts as I stepped thru the code by placing the mouse curser over the word DisplayAlerts and always said "True". I just used temp = application.DisplayAlerts and debug.print temp and that reads out "False"? So new question. Why? "Joe at Baso&qu...

June 2010 XP Update
Need help....after installing the last update my monitor now has a 1-2" vertical (white) band on my monitor. This is a Sony Vaio laptop and when I first turn it on and the vaio screen starts the band is not there, it starts to appear when the windows screen appears. Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this???? R wrote: > Need help....after installing the last update my monitor now has a > 1-2" vertical (white) band on my monitor. This is a Sony Vaio > laptop and when I first turn it on and the vaio screen starts the > band is not there, it starts to ...

FYI...PrimoPDF was updated on 04-05-07
PrimoPDF 3.1 http://www.primopdf.com/ PrimoPDF 3.1 Download Site http://www.download.com/PrimoPDF/3000-10743_4-10264577.html -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that work for me may not work for you Proceed at your own risk Thank you John :-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in messag...

Can't see photos or guides after new install and updating
I just installed Publisher on my new computer and have done the needed updates for both Windows XP and Office 2003. I have used Publisher a lot previously. When I opened a document that I had made previous to the install, I noticed that I can't see the margin, column, or row guides anymore, nor can I see the pictures in the document. Under "View", "Boundaries and Guides" are selected, so I can't figure out how to correct this. Any ideas? I appreciate any help, as I need to get going on several projects! Thank you. View, pictures, detailed display? Do ...

Who thinks MSFT will NOT release a "non-activation" version of Mon
I know MSFT has about 9 months to meet their promise and release a version of Money that does not require activation, but what is their motivation to do so? It appears that Money's market share was below 20% and who knows how many have already switched to Quicken or will do so by Jan 2011. In order to avoid a PR debacle around stranding users' financial data, I'm beginning to think that MSFT will say that they lent Quicken an MSFT software engineer to create a converter and will give people a coupon for some $$ off quicken 2010 or 2011. Or MS might release an offl...

Updating Excel spreadsheet with code.
I have a client who needs a small spreadheet to be e- mailed to his PDA on request. I have compiled a VBS script which does this without a hitch, however, the spreadsheet updates itself from Bloomberg and other resources on the network. Is there anyway to run a scheduled task or VCB code which will open this file unattended thus updating the data. The file is password protected. ...

Money 2007 Update Utility Not Working
Everytime I start Money 2007 I have a pop up window asking me to update Money and press OK. Which I do, and it closes Money and downloads the update. It then asks if it's ready to install, and that crashes. Then it says 'Microsoft Money Update Utility has caused an error and needs to be restarted.' or whatever that message is. That happens everytime I start Money, and I'd like to update it, because that notification is real annoying. What is wrong ? Is there a way to manually update Money 2007 ? Thanks Uninstall the IE 7 beta and do the update. The crash will stop. ...

How to update a portion of rows and columns between two files
I have a Master file with 20 columns of data for each of approximately 700 rows. Each month, I receive an update file that I need to use to update 10 columns of data for 3/4 of the rows in my Master file. There is a unique identifier in each file. Not all rows in the update file will be copied into the Master file and not all rows in the Master file will have updates. What is the best way to do this? I am familiar with VLookup. Shall I write aVLookup for each of the 10 columns in each row that need to be replaced so that I can grab the cell from the new file? Or, is there an easier way? ...

Automatic Update of Navigation Bars
I am attempting to modify a basic pre-designed web page to meet my specific needs. I have chosen to include a vertical navigation bar and a horizontal one at the bottom of the page. I have also chosen that the horizontal one is updated automatically. However, I have found that this automatic update only occurs when I chose one of the pre-defined default buttons provided by Publisher, e.g. "Contact Us." If I creat a button with my own text on it the automatic update for the horizontal navigation bar does not take place. Additionally, I find that I cannot manually update that ...

How often XP check for any updated pack?
I set the internet connection to be disconnected after idle 10 mins, but it never disconnected, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the setting to control the period for checking any update service for XP? I am using XP pro with SP3 and IE8 Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Update your computer automatically http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/automaticupdate.mspx Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/FAQ.mspx Automatic Updates in WinXP htt...

"Update in Progress" for 2 weeks now, 8 different brokerage accts
I have not been able to update ANY of my 8 different brokerage accts with 3 different investment companies (Schwab, Morgan Stanley and TD Ameritrade) since 4/28. They all say "update in progress" at the Account list screen. When I click on "Read Call Summary Messages" and go to "Review Update Results" (Funny how the thing you click on doesn't have the same title as the screen it takes you to . . .) for each of these brokerages (Schwab, Morgan Stanley, & TD Ameritrade) it says: "Your last call was completed on 4/28/2008 at 7:35 PM "Your acco...

simple question; if my PC reboots and I have a spreadsheet update in progress...
where is the exact temp location on my PC where the temp file may be found? It probably varies by PC but there must be some type of standard/recommendation/best practice? Thanks.. Try something like Declare Function GetTempPath Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetTempPathA" _ (ByVal nBufferLength As Long, ByVal lpBuffer As String) As Long Sub AAA() Dim TempPath As String Dim L As Long TempPath = String(255, " ") L = GetTempPath(255, TempPath) TempPath = Left(TempPath, L) Debug.Print TempPath End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft ...

several problems with windows update and WMDC
I installed WDMC and now i have to run this following update: Microsoft Corporation - Other hardware - Windows Mobile-based device support but after I hit install the system is showing me this error: Microsoft Corporation - Other hardware - Windows Mobile-based device support Installation date: ‎11/‎30/‎2009 12:54 PM Error details: Code 80070103 Update type: Recommended can somebody tell me what to do with this error? AL Hello Al, Run Windows Update manually & "hide" the update. <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952032> -=- &q...