Update 979683 doesn't install correctly on WinSrv2003EESP2x64

Hi all!

The update 979683 is seemingly installed correctly on my W2K3SRVEEx64sp2.
But when I verify the 'hal.dll' component of the update is NOT updated.

The "KB979683.log" file states that "LoadFileQueues:
UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for hal.dll failed: 0xe0000102"

I have verified that the 'hal.dll' is not updated in any normal locations
for 'hal.dll' under '%WINDIR%', it is still the old version.

 I have seen from posts on other sites that the above error might occur when
MS engineering has done some kind of error in their quest for a perfect
update. If you are a Microsoft Engineer reading this, please alert the QFE
team.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this error?

Thanks!

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979683

LAban24 wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> The update 979683 is seemingly installed correctly on my W2K3SRVEEx64sp2.
> But when I verify the 'hal.dll' component of the update is NOT updated.
>
> The "KB979683.log" file states that "LoadFileQueues:
> UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for hal.dll failed: 0xe0000102"
>
> I have verified that the 'hal.dll' is not updated in any normal locations
> for 'hal.dll' under '%WINDIR%', it is still the old version.
>
> I have seen from posts on other sites that the above error might occur
> when
> MS engineering has done some kind of error in their quest for a perfect
> update. If you are a Microsoft Engineer reading this, please alert the QFE
> team.
>
> Does anyone know of a workaround for this error?
>
> Thanks!

0
PA
5/1/2010 9:01:07 PM

"LAban24" <LAban24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> The update 979683 is seemingly installed correctly on my W2K3SRVEEx64sp2.
> But when I verify the 'hal.dll' component of the update is NOT updated.

Explain?    There would undoubtedly have been a reboot required to do a copy
rename.   Did you allow that to happen and check that it did?   E.g. using
ReportingEvents.log  (or Event Viewer).

FWIW I ran into a similar situation today with  ieframe.dll.   Supposedly I
have a hotfix installed for it but when I checked the version in
%windir%\System32  it was quite old.   However, when I check to see what the
loaded version is, e.g. via msinfo32 when IE is running, the version that I
was expecting to see is reported.   My conclusion is that the hotfix must
have been installed only into a  SxS  directory somewhere and it is being
loaded from there, but still made to appear that it is being loaded from
System32.

> The "KB979683.log" file states that "LoadFileQueues:
> UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for hal.dll failed: 0xe0000102"
>
> I have verified that the 'hal.dll' is not updated in any normal locations
> for 'hal.dll' under '%WINDIR%', it is still the old version.

Unfortunately,  hal.dll  is not shown by  msinfo32  but I think it might be
shown by  ProcExp, e.g. under the System task.    FWIW I just used this
Powershell pipeline to check on what is there
    ls  hal.dll  |  fl
but  ProcExp showed me the same thing.   I don't know if mine should be
different or if hal.dll could possibly be loaded from the  SxS

PS C:\Windows> ls -Fi hal*.dll -R | fl

shows that one exists in SxS but that they are the same.

Hang on.   Why are you looking at  hal.dll  anyway?   The KB article doesn't
even mention it for our OS.  Mine is  W7 X64 so it wants the same list as
yours and for that there are only two modules listed:   ntoskrnl.exe  and
ntkrnlpa.exe

PS C:\Windows> ls -Fi ntoskrnl.exe -R | fl

shows there are a few of those but I do have the latest installed in
System32.   ProcExp confirms the PS result (as far as it goes <w>).

The other one apparently updated  SysWow64.   I don't know where it would be
used or how to check it further.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I have seen from posts on other sites that the above error might occur
> when
> MS engineering has done some kind of error in their quest for a perfect
> update. If you are a Microsoft Engineer reading this, please alert the QFE
> team.
>
> Does anyone know of a workaround for this error?
>
> Thanks!

0
Robert

tzmove not finding appointments to update
and yet there are literally over 100 appointments to update in one mailbox alone. at this site, for several users, tzmove is finding no appointments to update. all patches have been loaded on all computers. the server (2000) has been updated to reflect the proper start and stop dates for the new dst rules and the server and workstations all show the proper time/time zone. these are not recurring appointments nor are they in public folders; they are individual mailboxes from an exchange 2003. we did not do the push from exchange and instead chose to have everyone just use tzmove. for most...

E-mail ownership not correct
When I write an e-mail and copy or blind copy in another user the ownership of the e-mail is given to the copied user. Wy is this happening and how do I stop it? Doesn't happen on our end. Was installation ok and updates applied? Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "ril" wrote: > When I write an e-mail and copy or blind copy in another user the ownership > of the e-mail is given to the copied user. > > Wy is this happening and how do I stop it? Yes, roll up 1 installed. Working well otherwise. "Frank Lee" wrote: > Doesn't happen on ...

FW: Try this corrective package for Internet Explorer
--vhcnjipdvsj Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fzgtrwzbr"; type="multipart/alternative" --fzgtrwzbr Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="uaaxfmbhcknhgpr" --uaaxfmbhcknhgpr Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "December 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer. This update ...

Save as .xml not displayed correctly
I am trying to creat an Excel spreadsheet viewable via the web that everyone can veiw regardless of what office automation program they use, if any. I tried to save my spreadsheet as an xml file, but it will not veiw properly in Frontpage or on the web with IE. If I 'Save As' and open it locally, it works fine. Open in it directly from the web and it shows only code (as it does in FP2003). Please assist me on this. Saving it as html would work, but boy is it ugly! http://www.lemosfamily.com/Planar%20Progression.xml the actual Excel file can be found here: http://www.lemosfa...

Can I install exchange on client
I have a win2000 domain server and one of my clients has intrnet access can i instal exchange on this client? then other compuer download email from this computer Not sure what you mean by client - do you mean a computer running a client OS like Windows XP? Exchange 2000 can be installed on Windows 2000 Server (not on Windows Server 2003) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262068&sd=tech Exchange 2003 can be installed on both Windows 2000 and 2003 Server. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx The server can be either a Domain Controller ...

Have Portfolio lost auto update
Has anyone had a problem with lossing the abilty to auto update their portofio with Money 2003 Has worked fine for the last year. Now all of a sudden can only update manually Sounds like you have Money 2003 standard. I believe this came with one year of free online services, and that might have expired. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if ...

Excel tries to install again
Excel will not start. Instead, it tries to reinstall and then fails with a missing installation file? All the other components of Office 2003 Small Business Edition work correctly. Is there a way to reinstall excel from my product discs and leave the rest of office alone, as it works perfectly? ...

How to do completely clean Outlook install?
I need to install a completely clean copy of Outlook 2003. I used my current copy of Outlook to do some experimenting with Outlook plugins, try out connecting to remote Exchange servers, etc. Now it's filled with junk. There's nothing at all that I want to save. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but all the old junk is still there. It still asks me for log in to the Exchange server, all the Exchange server folders are still there, etc. What do I have to do to blow everything away, including all the poorly-behaved plugins? Delete your profile under Control Panel->Mail Icon a...

How to Update stock quotes??
I stupidly set up a stock investment (with dividend reinvestment) as a "cash account"many years ago, and have been updating it as I get statements. I can't figure out how to change it to an "investment account", so that it will update as the price changes daily. I have another account that I set up right, and it works great. Anyone help?? Thanx. So how did you do "Buys" and "Sells" and so forth along the way? Assuming that you just have this cash account balancing to the value of the investment, the shortest solution is to create an Investm...

office 2008 installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Comes up with message: Install failed Unable to install The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install what do I do? oh, and my macbook is completely new, I haven't installed anything except the software that's already in it in the box. bad disk bad drive Want more? Give details - try sentences. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 7/12/08 8:46 PM, in article 59b53ff0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "trouble@officeformac.com" <trouble@officef...

cant install publisher xp on windows 98 is there a way
can't get it to work is there a way Do you get an error? OFFXP: Error Message When Installing Office XP: Error 2355. Setup Cannot Access a File Cabinet http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284250 OFFXP: Error 25506: Riched20.dll Is Wrong Version Message During Setup http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322092 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "ray" <ray_tappendorf@verizon.net> wrote in message news:047a01c37b35$89fbf5a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > can't get it to work is there a way ...

Update order
Just want to make sure here. If you are updating multiple fields, it updates in the order that you specify, correct? For example: columnA= 100 columnB = 200 columnC = NULL I am going to move columnA to columnC, columnB to columnA, set columnB to NULL. This should end up with columnA = 200 columnB = NULL columnC = 100 This only works if you do it in the correct order. On my machine it works correctly, but I want to make sure that isn't a coincedence. The script I would use would be: UPDATE tableA SET columnC = columnA, columnA = columnB, ...

Alabama tax code update
Hello: I just noticed on PartnerSource that the latest Great Plains 8.0 tax table updates for the state of Alabama require an update of the tax tables as well as tax code. I'm 99.9% sure of this, but I want to check. If you have to update tax code, rather than just tax tables, this requires installing the tax update on all workstations and not just the SQL Server box. Isn't that correct? Thanks! childofthe1980s Yep, if it's a tax code change, then yes, it's server AND workstations. Check your service pack at the same time, good time to update those if you want to a...

installing Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe over an older version?
I have a 2005 Money Deluxe program that has stopped working properly. Today I downloaded and installed Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. But now I can't find the program. The only icon or program I can find on my computer just opens up the original program. Is it necessary to uninstall the first one? I am just nervous about uninstalling and losing data. I just want to update this. In microsoft.public.money, Jackie wrote: >I have a 2005 Money Deluxe program that has stopped working properly. Today >I downloaded and installed Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. But now I can't find ...

Refresh form on any update
I have a form that has displ;ays about 50 fields. About 12 of those fields, when updated, can change the one dlooikup control on the same form. I can code a refresh form for the onUpate event for each field to update the dlookup, but iis there a way to do it just once if any field is updated on the form. I tried using a join instead of the dlookup but then can't update the form manually. Minor, I know, but this same type of thing has come up for me elsewhere. I am using A2007 with w7. Thanks in advance Is there anything in this link that would help you create...

Daylight Savings Patch Installation Problem
I am attempting to update our CRM server install w/ the patch for the Daylight Savings Time change, CRM3.0-KB925874-Server-ENU.exe. I've followed all of the steps on the provided doc, but when I try to run it, I get the Installation Error "Setup failed to update the database. The installation of thiis update has stopped. Contact Customer Support Services." Has anybody else seen this & resolved it? I am running W2k3 STD w/ all of the latest patches. I have tried rebooting, changing to another administrator's account, etc, but every time the error is the same. T...

DPM 2010 asking for Hyper-V updates that are installed
I upgraded my 2007 SP1 DPM to 2010 RC and it went very well, everything went as expected I updated all the clients, (no reboots needed which is great, other than one DC/Exchange server) Everything re-synced fine, but when I went to add another VM to the Hyper-V protection group I get a pop saying that for Server 2008 I need kb 948465 and 971394. Now the hyper-v server has SP2 which seems to be 948465 but didn't have 971394 so I installed and rebooted but its still coming up with the same error and won't let me add any more VMs to back up. The VMs that were set to back...

update links in Powerpoint 2007
I am creating charts in Excel and then via the Paste Special finction I paste them into Powerpoint as a linked object. This is so I may update the Excel sheets and refresh them in the powerpoint slides as and when required. This is working fine for me but when a colleague opens both the Excel and the Powerpoint presentation they are not able to refresh the links. Instead they receive the error message " The linked file was unavailable and can't be updated" we did not have this problem with earlier version of Office so I would appreciate it if anybody has a ...

Updating values from a subform to a main form
I am putting together a form for various tenant transactions. The main form has the tenant general info, while the subform contains transaction information. A field in the main form is for the tenant's total balance, and I have a field in the subform that has it calculated. The problem that I'm having is that I can't seem to get the updated information from the subform to the main form. It seemed that using some VBA code would help, but I don't know how to represent a field that isn't in the form the code is written for. On a similar note, I was wondering if there w...

Update item quantity when the same item is scanned twice
When the same item is scanned more than once per transaction it creates a new line for the same item rather than updating the quantity. This would be a great but simple improvement. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolut...

Money 2005 Business crashe after Update is performed
Just today or yesterday Money 2005 Small Business now crashes when I do an update. This seems to occur only with Bank One so I'm curios to know whether there is a new change that is causing this with Bank One customers. So far I have: - Reinstalled Money. - Removed Bank One form online services which then did not cause any crashes during an update (although it's fun reconciling again and merging accounts). - Repaird the Money file. The response being "Fixed records in online table.". Everytime I try an update I can repair again and get the same response. I...

Online Update problem when adding bank account
I have Money 2006. I can add all of my credit card accounts fine and they work perfectly. When I add my Chase Bank account & credit card account, suddenly it no longer does ANY updating. It won't synch to MSN, I can't add a new account (it tells me Account Update is temporarily unavailable), and none of the Credit Card accounts will update. Is there something I'm missing? It is always good to try a file repair. Also, in internet option you should delete temp files -- Neil "EnderAKH" <EnderAKH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:832E...

Can no longer update portfolio prices manually
I have some retirement funds for which I have always updated the prices manually, since they are not traded over markets. In the last couple of days, Money 2003 has stopped allowing me to update the prices manually. There is no error--I click the update button and nothing happens: the new price does not go into the history. If anyone has any ideas, thanks. Mike ...

Updating Office X from education version to full
I had previously installed a copy of office suite education version on a number of my machines, I soon realized that I was unable to have multiple machines connected through a LAN all running the suite at the same time. I got a full version to get around this problem but when I installed it it gave me the same error message. This is because there is still some files from the education version that I cannot find and delete. I am aware that Microsoft user/ preference files are stored in these locations: User/documents/Microsoft user data User/library/ preferences/ Microsoft Has anyone else ru...

DST Exchange Remediation: Running Exch or Outlook Calendar Update
We plan on doing the recommended steps Microsoft has said to take to remediate the Daylight Saving Time change in the Exchange environment: applying server OS updates, Windows XP updates, and Exchange patches (in that order). However, the last step is optional: running the Exchange Calendar Update Tool for our 1800+ affected users or have the affected 1800+ users run the Outlook Time Zone Update tool themselves. I haven't tested either tool in the lab yet, but I am not enthusiastic on running either tool (which sound like the same tool from what Microsoft has said). I can pictur...