sp2 to sp3

Update launches, but hangs at 'installing new version' of the update SW.

I have seen the downloadable exe's of sp3, anywhere from 300MB to 550mb.

do you have one to recommend?

thanx
0
plugginaway

plugginaway wrote:
> Update launches, but hangs at 'installing new version' of the
> update SW.
> I have seen the downloadable exe's of sp3, anywhere from 300MB to
> 550mb.
> do you have one to recommend?

The actual installable Windows XP Service Pack 3 file does not have
variants.

Assuming you actually do mean and need Windows XP Service Pack 3 - here is
the method I have found works for the majority of people.  Follow it
step-by-step, carefully and completely.  Don't think you have done something
before, and even if you *know* you have done something before - do it again
as given...

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.  You may be rebooting if they find something they cannot
get rid of otherwise.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

  Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
  IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

  You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
    scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.  If you are following
    along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
    manufacturer's respective web pages.)  Never get hardware drivers
    for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
    pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
     and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

9) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
     install SP3.  Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
     a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable.  Reboot when requested to
do so.  Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes.  Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
11/29/2009 3:50:49 AM
HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

"plugginaway" <anon> wrote in message
> Update launches, but hangs at 'installing new version' of the update SW.
>
> I have seen the downloadable exe's of sp3, anywhere from 300MB to 550mb.
>
> do you have one to recommend?
>
> thanx

0
PA
11/29/2009 4:37:03 AM
went well until, 'reset update'   Fixit 50202 'Failed to Process"

try again 2morrow.

the file i got from MS was xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso
554MB

piece o' cake!!!

and now the 316 MB one will oly dl at 85K...

thanx

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> time.  Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
> "Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
> Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
> Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
> step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
> until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
> you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
> through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
> ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.
>
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you

0
plugginaway

Exchange 2003 sp2 OWA hangs shows "Loading..."
When users log on to OWA the standard frameset loads but the main pane on the right where the messages are normally displayed only shows "Loading..." User are able to send email, clicking on the other folders (sent items, contacts, public folders, etc.) also shows "Loading..." clicking on Calendar opens a blank calendar. OWA was working fine about two weeks ago. The only change has been the application of Exchange sp2 to our 3 exchange servers. The 3 servers are all members of the same Exchange administrative group, no front-end/back-end server configuration. All inbo...

RMS 2.0 SP2 XP SP3
We are having some issues with RMS HQ Client crashing since our upgrade. HQ Client will not open.. Event logs a ntdll.dll error ..we uninstall and reinstall the hqclient adn it seems to correct..but the error has reoccured in a couple of situations..has anyone seen this behavior.. I know that RMS 2.0 has some issues with XP SP3. Try uninstalling SP3 on the machines running RMS and see if it resolves the issue. Hi Max. There are incompatibilities between RMS 2.0 SP 2 and XP SP 3. Microsoft has released a hotfix for this issue that so far seems to be working. The hotfix can be found...

Outlook 2003 SP2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C6D9CB.B2DD3DB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Folders are valid and can be selected from the browse list when setting up Outlook Today. However when I select the link to the folder (like the inbox for example) while in the Outlook Today screen, I get the Unable to find the folder message. Microsoft KB is not helpful for this problem - it only references an issue with O97 and hotmail folders. ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C6D9CB.B2DD3DB0 Content-Type: text/...

Cannot Install Exchange SP2 HELP!!
I am trying to install Exchange SP2 on a Windows 2003 SP1 server and get the following message: A fatal error has occurred. Look at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\eventlog.txt for more information. Canceling setup. Here are the contents of the eventlog.txt file: [02/22/06,10:26:35] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty(B51015E7-26A5-4c8f-B871-26ABA9BEFB65) [02/22/06,10:26:35] Setup.exe: LoadSetupDatabase() [02/22/06,10:26:35] Setup.exe: in InternalRegisterSetupService() [02/22/06,10:26:35] Setup.exe: in InternalRegisterSetupService() [02/22/06,10:26:35] Setup...

access 2003 sp3 09-26-07
Hi, I use access 2003 sp2 with source safe. Some little bugs but it works fine. Having just upgraded to Office 2003 SP3, impossible to create a new database from the source safe project. Many messages during the import of many forms (? error during importing, can't find record, ...) and finally access crashs With an old database, each time i try to open some form in form view or in design view, access crashs every time Faulting application msaccess.exe, version 11.0.8166.0, stamp 46437912, faulting module msaccess.exe, version 11.0.8166.0, stamp 46437912, debug? 0, fault...

Sender ID question exchange sp2
hi all I installed sp2, and i have enabled sender id, i now see errrors in the app log that are event id 7519, and it says The originating IP address of message with ID <9RVg53mdw00000025@bbserver.mydomain.com> could not be determined based on its Received headers. The server bbserver is my a windows 2003 front end SMTP server, it forwards all email into my exchange server. Is is in the list of ip address in the sender id along with the entire subnet of my internal network, so i am a bit confused as to what this error is telling me. I have the sender id in "reject mode&q...

Configure Database Size Limits in SP2
Hello, I want to change the database size limit as is described in the Exchange Help by going in to the registry and creating the 'Database Size Limit in Gb' key. What the Help doesn't mention is wether the value to enter is hexadecimal or decimal. Does anyone know about this ? Thanks, Werner On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 02:08:02 -0800, "WernerDirix" <WernerDirix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to change the database size limit as is described in the Exchange >Help by going in to the registry and creating the 'Database Size Limit...

Modify Purchas Order Distribution after upgrade to SP3
Since the upgrade to the latest service pack we have been running into an issue when putting Purchase Order invoices into the system. There have been occurrences during Enter/Match process where we have had to adjust the price of an item. When I go to the distribution tab there will be a blank spot where the General Ledger account number should be. When I try to put in the correct account number I get an error message. You can not change the PURCH account at the summary Level. Change the inventory account for the line item instead. That is not an option made available to me...

Microsoft Office 2003 Pro with SP3 (5 cd), Windows Vista September 2007 x64, other 24/09/29 new programs, Loads of GREAT SOFTWARE ( 20,000 plus programs DVDS and CDs)
Microsoft Office 2003 Pro with SP3 (5 cd), Windows Vista September 2007 x64, other 24/09/29 new programs, Loads of GREAT SOFTWARE ( 20,000 plus programs DVDS and CDs) clearing, garage sales, buy, risk-free purchase, cutting edge, state of the art, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 29 september 2007/added Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 12.0 Multilingual MakeMusic Finale 2008 (3 cd) Microsoft Office 2003 Professional with SP3 (5 cd) ...

How to install SP3 for exchange2000 Server
Hi, I want to upgrading the patch from SP2 TO SP3 (WIN2K server +sp4 +exchange2000 +sp2.) But i am not sure that i can installed SP3 successful. What should i pay more attention when install SP3. Thanks a lot. Hi Andy, FYI, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328839 How to apply Exchange service packs and hotfixes -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :75CEBB65-5E6A-4EB1-A9EB-A6BAE60956CB@microsoft.com... > Hi, I want to upgrading the patch from SP2 TO SP3 (WIN2K server +sp4 > +exchange2000 +sp2.) But i am not sur...

Diacritics by default.Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro SP3
If I open a new workbook and for example, type decor in a cell, Excel adds a diacritic over the e, thus d�cor. I don't want this to happen (it happens with many words) I can't see a setting anywhere which turns it on or off. We do use Excel on this PC to import text files which do have diacritics and are needed in the resulting sheets, and maybe it is remembering some setting triggered by the import. Any one have any suggestions? IanB go to TOOLS OPTIONS SPELLINGS AUOTCORRET Options UNCHECK REPLACE TEXT as you type OR Delete the Decor entry from there...

After SP2, issues with excel
Hi After applying the Office SP2, Excel is displaying zero cells as #N/A. In SP1 display was fine. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks Gopi Are there formulas in those cells or just 0's? If you select the cell, what do you see in the formula bar? And you don't have some sort of custom format for those cells, do you? Gopi wrote: > > Hi > > After applying the Office SP2, Excel is displaying zero cells as #N/A. In > SP1 display was fine. > > Any idea how to fix this? > > Thanks > Gopi -- Dave Peterson Hi Dave Are there formulas in those cells ...

OE 6.0 and XP home SP2
Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in add/remove program. Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson Seamus J. Wilson wrote: > Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. > Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in > add/remove program. > Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Outlook Express is actually discussed in microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. You'll...

Problem after installing Office SP3 on Office XP
After installing SP3 - which installs with no errors I have all sorts of problems with office. When I try to start Excel I get a message "unable to read file". If a try to open an existing excel document I get the same error and the documment will not open. In Word I get an error saying cannot open template,and when I try to close it down it says "the file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file. Does anybody have any ideas ?? Nick Sounds like your file associations could be bad. Try re-registering these Applications. For Excel......... First ...

How to apply SP2 on Exchange cluster
hello, We have approx 10 Exchange 2003 Active / Passive Cluster Servers. They all have Windows 2003 SP1. We would like to install Exchange SP2 on them and we are alloking at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328839 for the steps to take. We noticed that the option to "upgrade Exchange Virtual Server" is not available anywhere on the 10 clusters. We used cluster admin to look for it with no luck. The funny thing is that our clusters were built my Microsoft consultant so we know the setup is correct. It must us that are not looking in the right place. Thanks in advance. You w...

Imp: Microsoft Error Reporting now working fine with SP2
Hi, If you have disabled Microsoft Error Reporting because of issues it had on Tiger, I am pleased to report that these issues have been fixed in the latest upgrade. Please enable the feature by following the steps listed below: This is how you can enable Microsoft error reporting: 1. Go into the Office folder under the folder where Office 2004 is installed 2. Start Microsoft Error Reporting, 3. Go to Microsoft Error Reporting->Preferences, check Enable Microsoft Error Reporting 4. Command-Q to quit Microsoft Error Reporting This feature is a very useful tool that helps us ...

Outlook slow after installing SP2
Hi, I have just installed all the SP's for Office 2002 and now Outlook is running very slowly; specifically when you move from message to message... takes some time to show the preview. This was previously very fast. Anyone aware of a fix? O/S WinXP Pro with all SP's and updates. PC is a Toshiba notebook, with P4 2.0HGz, 512Mb, etc. Tks, DaveA Try going to Tools -> Options -> Other and disabling Instant Messaging integration. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Dave" ...

OLMAP32.DLL Error after upgrade from Office 2003 to Office 2007 on XP/SP3 machine
Two days ago I upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 Enterprise on a laptop running XP/SP3. Everything I've tried in the office suite seems to work well except Outlook. Even after applying Office SP1, whenever I try to start Outlook I get a tiny error box that simply says error, OLMAPI32.DLL. I have spent more time than I would like to admit Googling the problem but have found no solution that works for me although I've tried various solutions that appear in multiple discussions of the problem=97up to and including experimenting with removing all registry references to OLMAPI32.D...

Outlook 2007 SP2 freezes during send and receive
Hi, We have this problem here on every computers. Outlook 2007 (with SP2) freezes during the send receive operation. If you are typing an email at the time, it will skip 5 to 6 characters, then unfreeze. We are using an exchange 2007 server, and are working in online mode. No caching. The problem exists both on the local LAN and on the WAN (on the WAN the freeze delay is longer for it takes more time to receive new emails). It happens with both plain text email and large emails with attachments. Is there any patch, or configuration setting that could enable background d...

Install of SP3 problems
Have a Sony VIAO desktop with Windows XP Home SP1 loaded. Intel CPU and 512mb RAM. I tried loading SP3 from the exe file that I downloaded from the Microsoft web site. It complained that it couldn't backup a msscp.dll file from \Windows\system32 folder, but it let me ignor/skip it and go ahead with the install anyway. After the first boot the system hung on the black screen with the cursor for a long time (4 min). This was a fresh instal. When it finished booting (finally!) it was slower than snot. And most of the text in program windows and control panel was missing?? Even the t...

Corporate Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2
Currently: Office 2003 SP3 applications on XP 2002 SP2 Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2 suite We are planning a corporate upgrade from 2003 apps to 2007 suite for 100,000+ users globally. My question is what are the known issues with this upgrade, whether they are server issues, application issues, functionality issues, etc. I have cross-posted this to the usual applications as well as windows.upgrade and office.misc so I can capture all users of these applications as well as the network people. I am aware of the usual new 2007 user interface issues but are there any problems we can head off at...

ESM 2003 Help Crash
Using any of the help screens in ESM 2003 causes ESM to crash. This is apparently a conflict with Exchange 2003 SP2 and IE7. Here's an article about it: http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid43_gci1233854,00.html Is there a fix, or is Microsoft planning fix? This is underway. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Dgoldman http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman "Dave B" <daveb@atgnet.com> wrote in message news:%23Jg6weoLHHA.1816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Using any of the help screens in ESM 2003 cau...

Exchange 2003 SP2 white paper?
I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone able to find this? Thanks in advance. On 24 Feb 2006 10:00:30 -0800, "Phil" <ssgbones@gmail.com> wrote: >I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a >couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is >fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone >able to find this? &g...

Outlook 97 & XP SP2
Until I loaded SP2, O 97 worked just fine. Now, it continually repulls the same email from the server over and over, and then hangs. XP firewall is turned off. I can't find much help on the Microsoft web site, at least after 4 hours of looking. Any ideas? Well first note that Outlook 97 and Windows XP SP2 have been developed a lot of years after eachother so I would almost say; To be expected. Office 97 also isn't supported anymore let alone being taken into consideration during the Service Pack 2 development. Anyway; I guess you've configured Outlook to leave a copy on th...

2 questions - Missing 'Windows Key'
1.) My R51 ThinkPad - XP Pro SP2 - does not have a 'Windows Key'. Is there a way to map an unused key to give it the functionality of the a 'Windows Key'? If so, is there a 'how-to' posted someplace? 2.) I recall reading a while back that IE8 had to be uninstalled prior to applying SP3. Have not seen that requirement in any of the SP3 upgrade cookbooks. Is that still a requirement / concern? Thanks. Teflon wrote: > 1.) My R51 ThinkPad - XP Pro SP2 - does not have a 'Windows Key'. Is > there a way to map an unused key to give it th...