Slipstreaming Post XP-SP-3 Critical/Important Updates

Is there a way to get all of the Critical/Important Updates since the release
of XP-SP-3 for slipstreaming?
Updateing after installation is very time consuming and, it seems, dangerous
accessing the internet without those updates.
--
Thanks!

Tengu wrote:
> Is there a way to get all of the Critical/Important Updates since
> the release of XP-SP-3 for slipstreaming?
> Updateing after installation is very time consuming and, it seems,
> dangerous accessing the internet without those updates.

All?  Not really.
Most?  Yes.  Just like you slipstream/integrate the service packs, really.

Many people utilize tools like AutoStreamer or nLite to intgrate/slipstream
updates into the installation media. nLite (I believe) has a way/hack that
'integrates' Internet Explorer 7 - but to be honest, _I_ would not do that.

Getting the updates - that is fairly simple.

One way...

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##-***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work - although they may have an
"Advance Notification for" in place when the actual time approaches.

Example:

November 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-nov.mspx

Another way...

Windows Updates Downloader
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Another way...

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

The second is truly the easiest for most people. Most of the updates you
can get have an /integrate switch. Pretty much the same way you do the
service packs.

Although many people use the nlite/autostreamer and other similar tools - I
stick with the original.

Copy the installation CD files to a directory on a Windows XP system (I
prefer doing the integration on a working system of the same version,
although it is not usually necessary...) - preferably a short path like
"C:\WinXP". Downloading the full latest service pack and the patches I want
to integrate using one of the methods above and putting them all into a
different (but short as well) path like "C:\XPPatch" - no sub-directories.

Integrating the service pack first - in this case, given what I have, the
command would be:

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

and after some time, it would be done.

Then I would integrate the other patches that I could. There would be
*quite a few* updates, so I could either do them one-by-one using this
command with the appropriate substitutions...

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

Or I could create a batch script to run through and do them for me:

<start batch script here - copy below this line>

set sourcedir=C:\WinXP
set patchdir=C:\XPPatch

for %%U in (%patchdir%\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe) DO (
if not exist %svcpackdir%\%%U (
@ECHO Now integrating %%U . . .
@ECHO.
start /wait %%U /integrate:%sourcedir%
)
)

@ECHO Windows XP Updates Integrated into your Installation Media.
@ECHO Burn your new media.
<end batch script here - copy above this line>

And running that would integrate the majority of the available patches and
automatically integrate them - only pausing for me to click OK on each of
the patches "Success" or "Failure" messages. You could make it silent with
a little modification.

The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate and
some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
they do...)

I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
at least that is something I always remember.

That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
methods, I find that one the most reliable.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
4/12/2010 12:49:44 AM
Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086
-=-

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬
-=-
"Tengu" wrote:

> Is there a way to get all of the Critical/Important Updates since the release
> of XP-SP-3 for slipstreaming?
> Updateing after installation is very time consuming and, it seems, dangerous
> accessing the internet without those updates.
> --
> Thanks!
Also, The RyanVM Integrator will help; look here:
http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/ and here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/

"Tengu" <Tengu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to get all of the Critical/Important Updates since the
> release
> of XP-SP-3 for slipstreaming?
> Updateing after installation is very time consuming and, it seems,
> dangerous
> accessing the internet without those updates.
> --
> Thanks!

0
Jerry

On-line services set up failed with "new & improved" Money update
Money 2005 Premium: with the mid-August unannounced update by Microsoft, I lost my ability to go on-line. I reviewed the instructions inside Money and tried to re-set the on-line service but I'm now in a loop that doesn't seem to have any way to back out of it or to move forward successfully. Instead of disabling the account first, which is listed in the long, weary icon version of the update instructions, I went to set up online services and now have the message "complete setup for online services" which apparently will not work because I consistently get a message ...

SRM 3.0 for SBS
Trying to "test" install CRM 3.0 for SBS on a SBS 2003 Premium R2 server. Installation gives option to install a sql Report Server or use existing. The one it tries to install is SQL 2000 and the screen says it is not compatible with other versions of SQL. So will the install allow you to connect to the SBS 2003's SQL 2005 Workgroup Report Server? Can;t find this answer anywhere! Thanks, KBB In answer to your first question, yes. You have to install SQL 2005 Reporting Services, then connect to this during CRM setup "KBB" <kbbnospam@dontspamme123.org> w...

Blank Emails #3
Hello, Environment is Exchange 2003 Standard loaded on a Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. My users are using Outlook 2002(XP) and some of them are using Outlook 2003. Some of them create Rich Text, some Plain Text, some HTML. I have been going through trying all different ones for them. This has never happened until Exchange 2003 (installed roughly 1 1/2 Months ago). Problem only popped up a week ago. The problem is, users are sending and recieving blank emails occasionally. Even the copy that goes into their 'Sent' Items is blank. They all have the latest Service Pa...

1099-MISC updates
Until this year, you have always provided the prior year 1099-MISC form updates as a seperate Hot Fix or seperate Download. This year, the 2006 1099-MISC form updates were included with the 2006 Year End Updates for Payroll. We do not use the payroll for Great Plains so downloading this update did not make sense for us. Also, the Payroll update required Service Pack 5 be installed, and we were on Service Pack 3. We have a great deal of custom Great Plains applications & there was no way I was going to update without having the time to test our custom applications just to get the...

How do I get a filter to "UPDATE" the rows selected?
Hey there! I am using Excel 2002 and I have a speadsheet that has prices in it. If I have the filter set to (the filter criteria is much more complex than this though) prices for items that cost >$5.00. Of I change an item to 4.59, it should not be seen. How can I get it to re-update the rows shown, with out releaseing the filter and resetting it? Is there something like refresh.filter or anything like that? Thanks Phil AFAIK you must release and reset but a macro with a worksheet_change event could trigger this for you so that it would happen automatically. -- Don Guillett SalesAid...

Import Outlook Contacts into AC2003
I've created an application using AC2003 which was both fast and easy. I have a new requirement to enhance the database to be able to import both contacts and calendar appointments from Office 2003. One thing that makes this somewhat complicated is that the client wants this process to show both the contact from Outlook and the contact from the access database side by side and selectively choose the pieces of info from the Outlook contacts to be appended in the access database. I know how to do this but it will be a lot of work. Can anyone point me to a tool, project...

Help With Sorting #3
Gudday to all XL gurus. I need some help on using the SORT function. I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I hav written. I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list i generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i hav less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank bu contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorte last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this lis relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added If I add a helper column I have...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...

How to sum the 3 best scores for every country in a contest?
To sum the 3 highest numbers, following functions can be used in a really nice combination: =SUM(LARGE(A1:A100, {1,2,3} ) ) But how to add an condition to it? Example: Column A below are the scores for induvudual persons in a contest. Column B below is the country they are competing for .. How to add the sum of the 3 best scores for each country ? The correct answer should be 213+199+187=599 for USA and 198+158+135=491 for Canada. A B 141 USA 199 USA 135 CAN 187 USA 158 CAN 145 USA 213 USA 198 CAN 120 USA 180 CAN Reall...

Run-time error 2465 after database import
I'm trying to tidy up a database by starting with a fresh, blank database (Access 2000) and importing everything from the original database. Here are the steps I've gone through: 1. Started with a blank database. 2. Set all the properties to be the same as the original database. I've set the properties in: - File / Database Properties - Tools / Startup - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / database Properties - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / Options - Visual Basic Editor - Tools / References 3. Selected File / Get External Data / Import and ...

Non Inventory Item Posting Account
where to set the default post account (debit) for receiving of non-inventory item, with and without purchase order? I tried to use Posting Accounts>Sales>Non Invenotised Item but it does not seems to pick up. Dear HFLo: You need to set the posting accounts in the Purchasing series for receiving transactions. However, there is no 'Non-Inventory' posting account setting in Purchasing as there is in Sales, so the account you want the non-inventoried item charged to really needs to be selected when you are setting up the Purchase Order. When you enter the item in the PO Line ...

CRM 3.0 Web client performance questions
Hello - I seem to have a bit of a connundrum here and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a simmilar issue. We've currently got CRM 3.0 up and working but I have gotten some questions regarding performance from some of my users that access CRM using the web client on a WAN link. They are overseas and the server is located in the US. They've got a 512kb connection and we've got a full t-1 connection. They are stating that it can take them anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 min to load a page. So, I had them do some investigating and testing with some other machines ...

Windows XP Shared PC
We are using Outlook 2000. The PC, which already had Microsoft Office 2000 loaded on it, was upgraded from Win 98 to Win XP. I then created Windows XP logons for all four people that will be sharing this PC. When I did, the Outlook shortcut automatically ended up on the desktop of each person when they individually logged in. When I clicked the shortcut the first time I went in to each person's desktop, I setup the mail account for JUST THAT PERSON. And when I go back and log into each person's desktop it still shows ONLY THEIR ACCOUNT. However, whatever mail they receive ALS...

help with lookup formula (sheet 2, not a double post)
I need to make a formula using a lookup. The first spreadsheet is a inventory (ALO INVENTORY JP). The second (P&G 103) is a chart tha tells number of gallons of alcohol per foot/inch/fraction. On ALO INVENTORY JP I insert the # of feet, inches, and the fraction i cells R5 and T5. I want these numbers to lookup the number of gallon off of the P&G 103 worksheet. For example: P&G 103 (on inventory sheet) is 26ft 4 1/2 inches, i should look-up to be 34572 gal. for the 26'4" and 55 gal. for the 1/2" These two numbers should be added together and multiplied by the numbe ...

Formula to process 3 cells using IF statements
I have 3 columns of experimental data (C:E). Row 30 contains the sums (C30:E30). I need a formula that will examine the three sums and return the column number that has the lowest sum. If more than one column is lowest, select one randomly. Example: C30 D30 E30 Result 10 11 12 1 (C) 22 20 21 2 (D) 32 31 30 3 (E) 40 41 40 Randomly select 1 or 3 51 50 50 Randomly select 2 or 3 60 60 60 Randonly select 1, 2, or 3 Can this be done with IF statements or do I need to write a macro? Well, this is a bit cumbersome, but it se...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

import paradox database into excel
I have a database written in programme called Paradox and I would like to fransfer it into Excel. You may find this a bit tricky, depending on the complexity of links between tables and queries within the original database. Tables hold information, and queries manipulate that data; if you need data that is the result of a Paradox query you will not, AFAIK, be able to import that to Excel. You'll have better luck if you need data from tables. In a quick web search I notice that converter software is available, which might be a fallback position in case on-board export capability withi...

3 Hole Punch
Is there a was I can see where my three hole punch is going to be placed? In a brochure that I am doing I don't want some items to be right in line of my punch holes? Strike a guideline where the holes will be, don't create anything beyond the guideline. Normally it will be about a half inch, but I'd measure if I were you. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm "Jason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F20C9C01-BE4E-4F9C-AAE8-503832CC48C0@microsoft.com... > Is there a ...

Could not open any programs in win xp.
it said choose program to open it with. I fixed it but why did it start acting that way to start with tech1 wrote: > it said choose program to open it with. I fixed it but why did it > start acting that way to start with What? Are you asking why some file association of yours was changed on your system? If so - either you did it or allowed it to be changed. Another application was installed or malware was installed that made the change. Scan your system with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware (both freeware to download, install and use to cleanup) just to be s...

Unable to update
Outlook 2002 / XP I know this appears to be a sproadic problem for many but I can't find the solution. Error message - 'Unable to update public free/busy data.' Trying not to gum up this ng, I have searched MS KB, web sites, and this ng history but the solutions I have found do not help. These include using the clear(?) switch when opening Outlook Checking the Calendar Options|Free/Busy options (no check marks) I found one reference to registry changes but no guidance This problem did not occur until I switched the Default pst (I use 2) used when opening Outlook. Any ideas ...

outlook 2003 and hotmail #3
I use outlook 2003 to access my hotmail. The other day I tried to send an e-mail with a 1M attachment to a friend of mine, who also uses hotmail. The message did not get through due to it's size. The problem I now have is that the message is still in my outbox and I can't remove it. I can't even open it. If I try to open it I get a meesage "cannot open, transfer of message has already started". My mail message to my friend seems to be permanently stationed in the outbox. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to get rid of it, any solution which does not inv...

Possible Repost: MS CRM 1.3 Exams Revamp
Received this email yesterday: Improved Microsoft CRM Exams Microsoft Business Solutions will release three improved Microsoft CRM certification exams. The exams will become available worldwide through VUE testing centers on August 15, 2004 and Prometric testing centers on September 15, 2004. The improved exams are: Applications Professional, Customization, and Installation and Configuration. With the demand and volume of exam attempts as well as market feedback, the improvements incorporate updates and changes that are designed to better measure of the proficiency threshold for Micro...

Why Re:s don't match original posts
Hi, does anybody know why large number of Re:s doesn't match original posts? I use Outlook Express as a news reader and those Re:s drive me crazy!!! Vlado What news server are you using? If you are using your own ISP's server, try: news.microsoft.com Specify a new account on this server under: Tools | Account IME, most responses are correctly threaded on that server, though you still get occasional posts that disappear into thin air. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rat...

.NET 3.5
Hello, Does anyone of you know how I can force vb.net to remove the handle of a local DLL which I used beforehand with Reflection. Here is a fragment of the code. I have a base class and a derived class. This app only knows the base class and creates an Instance of the derived class by using Reflection which works fine. The only problem I have is that the local DLL file is blocked (I can't delete it) as long as I don't close the Application Dim GetCustomModule as BaseClass Dim dll As Assembly = Assembly.LoadFrom("c:\tools\DerivedCass.dl...

Import into the Invoicing Screen
Hi, I have a requirement where we would like to import into the invoicing screen of the invoicing module. It cannot be done with Integration Manager and there is no incoming schema in econnect for this type of transaction. Does anyone know of a way to import into Great Plains this type of transaction? Thank you, Anne-Claire McAllister About the only way to do this is to automate the generation of a Gp Macro and then launching the macro. (This is waht integration manager does internally) Achieving this can be quite easy. The most difficult part would be handling conditional processing...