Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB980248) -- No more fonts available!

cf.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f7fa37ca-683c-4be1-b4ad-ab2dd1249399

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Are you running Vista SP1 or Vista SP2?  Is Office 2010 installed?
>
> Was KB980248 offered & eventually installed via Windows Update or did you
> (attempt to) install it manually?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought
> it)?
>
> Office 2010 (Beta) Support Forums
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010/threads
>

> Enzo wrote:
>> I was installed Update for Windows Vista (KB980248).  After the install,
>> the
>> machine rebooted.  The install failed and I recieved error 800700C1.  It
>> was
>> midnight so I threw up my hands and went to bed.
>>
>> At 3am, Windows Update ran automatically, and this time it said it
>> succeeded
>> but it definately did not reboot.
>>
>> The update was done using a "Standard" user with no administration
>> rights.
>>
>> When I startup IE 8, no fonts appear.  When I startup Word, it says is
>> cannot find any fonts and throws an out of memory error loading fonts.
>> Other portions of windows are also turning up blank because of the lack
>> of
>> fonts!!!!
>>
>> Obviously, there is a permission problem!!!!
>>
>> When I login as a local admin, everything seems to work (this is how I am
>> able to write this post).   Problem is, I have several "standard" users
>> setup for various family members that I do not trust to run as Admin.
>>
>> I tried searching, but either its too early or this problem is unique to
>> me
>> but I cannot find any information regarding this problem anywhere.
>>
>> How can I undo what this update was suppose to have done?  I just want to
>> run my standard users and I don't care about Office 2010!  I don't know
>> there is a restore point because this was suppost to be a permission
>> change.
>>
>> Anyway, really frustrated right now and hope someone can help!

0
PA

I got simular the same, Also a new install of the System with Recovery didn`t
solve the Problem. There is also a known update Problem by McAfee. Maybe it
can be solved by writing into the registry Files. If anyone has suggesten
wich Files in the registery need to be changend.