Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158) fails with 2010

I am running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 on my laptop. For some reason
my machine keeps trying and failing to install Security Update for Microsoft
Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158).

The failure code reads: "WindowsUpdate_80070643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"

Due to this problem, my work security policy will force me off the network
while working remotely.

How can I fix this problem? Especially since I am running 2010 and not 2007,
which is what the KB was written for.

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982158>

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB982158).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:
https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/>

your usual support contacts.
--

"SenoritaC" wrote:

> I am running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 on my laptop. For some reason
> my machine keeps trying and failing to install Security Update for Microsoft
> Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158).
>
> The failure code reads: "WindowsUpdate_80070643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
>
> Due to this problem, my work security policy will force me off the network
> while working remotely.
>
> How can I fix this problem? Especially since I am running 2010 and not 2007,
> which is what the KB was written for.

When did you install Office PowerPoint 2010. Can you let us know

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"SenoritaC" <SenoritaC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2010 on my laptop. For some reason
> my machine keeps trying and failing to install Security Update for Microsoft
> Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158).
>
> The failure code reads: "WindowsUpdate_80070643" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
>
> Due to this problem, my work security policy will force me off the network
> while working remotely.
>
> How can I fix this problem? Especially since I am running 2010 and not 2007,
> which is what the KB was written for.

0
Peter
6/17/2010 8:41:07 PM
Sorry to hijack but I have the same problem.
I bought the lenovo laptop last month and it did not come with office. I
installed 2010 professional retail version and was asked to update powerpoint
2007.

However it always fails. Please help.

Pearly wrote:
> Sorry to hijack but I have the same problem.
> I bought the lenovo laptop last month and it did not come with
> office. I installed 2010 professional retail version and was asked
> to update powerpoint 2007.
>
> However it always fails. Please help.

Uninstall PowerPoint Viewer.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/25/2010 8:16:36 AM
I had the same problem on two brand new Lenovo PC's. Theyboth came with
Office 2007 trial installed. I removed office components that were installed
with the trial and the problem went away. Perhaps the best solution is to
remove all old office before installing 2010

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Pearly wrote:
> > Sorry to hijack but I have the same problem.
> > I bought the lenovo laptop last month and it did not come with
> > office. I installed 2010 professional retail version and was asked
> > to update powerpoint 2007.
> >
> > However it always fails. Please help.
>
> Uninstall PowerPoint Viewer.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

Yeah I had the trial on my laptop but did not run it. Guess 2007 was
partially installed.

Since I ran 2010, guess its now impossible to remove its partial components.
Guess I will have to ignore it.

Found a MS tool that cleans up office components but it is not applicable to
win 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us