KB972270 update won't install on XP SP3

Security Update for Windows XP (KB972270) will not install manually or
automaticly via windows update.  I get the response "Some updates could not
be installed".

Other updates installed OK.  This seems to be the only one not working.
Please assist.

When I manually installed I attempted to use the following approach:

WindowsXP-KB972270-x86-ENU.exe /log:c:. /verbose

It fails with two Setup error messages in a graphical text box:
"Setup error
the system cannot find the file specified"
AND
"Setup error
installation did not complete"

The command line argument produce the following logs in the root of Windows
dir:
CabBuild.log
with the following contents:
*************************  Cab Build Debug Log Begins
*************************

LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Source branches.inf is newer; using source.
LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Using c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf.
LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Loading
c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf ...
LoadBranchesInf: BrInitialize() failed with inf
c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf; error=0x00000002, line=1494.
LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Load failed; error=0x00000002.
InitInst: LoadOrInstallBranchesInf failed to load branch info;
error=0x00000002.

AND
Setuplog.txt with the following contents:

Time,File,Line,Tag,Message
01/13/2010
21:42:09.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,6539,BEGIN_SECTION,Installing Windows NT
01/13/2010 21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\wizard.c,1568,,SETUP:
Calculating registery size
01/13/2010 21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\wizard.c,1599,,SETUP:
Calculated time for Win9x migration = 120 seconds
01/13/2010
21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,6570,BEGIN_SECTION,Initialization

Any help would be appreciated.

On 2010-01-14 3:52 p.m., onejohn512 wrote:

> When I manually installed I attempted to use the following approach:
>
> WindowsXP-KB972270-x86-ENU.exe /log:c:. /verbose

The error in the logs is saying that the update\branches.inf file does not
exist.  I suggest you try using the /x option to extract the update files first
to an explicit directory, say c:\kb972270.

Then run c:\kb972270\update\update.exe and see if that works any better.  Check
that the branches.inf file is actually there and hasn't, e.g., been eaten by
your anti-virus software.

Oh, you might like to try running update.exe in safe mode too.

   Harry.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."

and/or 1-866-234-6020 in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
your local Microsoft subsidiary.  There is no-charge for support calls that
are associated with security updates.  When you call, clearly state that
your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number
(e.g., KB972220).

Or you can...

Consumer Security Support home page includes links for free security update
support, too

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

onejohn512 wrote:
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB972270) will not install manually or
> automaticly via windows update.  I get the response "Some updates could
> not
> be installed".
>
> Other updates installed OK.  This seems to be the only one not working.
> Please assist.
>
> When I manually installed I attempted to use the following approach:
>
> WindowsXP-KB972270-x86-ENU.exe /log:c:. /verbose
>
> It fails with two Setup error messages in a graphical text box:
> "Setup error
> the system cannot find the file specified"
> AND
> "Setup error
> installation did not complete"
>
> The command line argument produce the following logs in the root of
> Windows
> dir:
> CabBuild.log
> with the following contents:
> *************************  Cab Build Debug Log Begins
> *************************
>
> LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Source branches.inf is newer; using source.
> LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: Using
> c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf. LoadOrInstallBranchesInf:
> BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Loading
> c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf
> LoadBranchesInf: BrInitialize() failed with inf
> c:\c211e5b8bb30b8906b22b3\update\branches.inf; error=0x00000002,
> line=1494.
> LoadOrInstallBranchesInf: BRANCHES_INF_OP_LOAD: Load failed;
> error=0x00000002.
> InitInst: LoadOrInstallBranchesInf failed to load branch info;
> error=0x00000002.
>
> AND
> Setuplog.txt with the following contents:
>
> Time,File,Line,Tag,Message
> 01/13/2010
> 21:42:09.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,6539,BEGIN_SECTION,Installing
> Windows NT 01/13/2010
> 21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\wizard.c,1568,,SETUP:
> Calculating registery size
> 01/13/2010
> 21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\wizard.c,1599,,SETUP:
> Calculated time for Win9x migration = 120 seconds
> 01/13/2010
> 21:42:11.934,d:\xpsp\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,6570,BEGIN_SECTION,Initialization
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

0
PA

Canadian Payroll Tax Update #3
Does any know if the Year end tax update is out yet? If it is out do you where I can find it? I can't locate it in Customer Source. Thanks Fliehigh Its not just you...no one can find the tax updates... I cant even access the download page I do believe this happened last year also T "Fliehigh" wrote: > Does any know if the Year end tax update is out yet? If it is out do you > where I can find it? I can't locate it in Customer Source. > > Thanks > > Fliehigh Hi Tami My partner just sent it ot me: https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/...

Store.exe memory leak and can not update ESM to latest build
I have win2k sp4 with exchange sp3 build 6249.4. I am trying to install the August rollup update but the build version never changes and my memory leak is still present. What is going on? First of all, it maybe not leak at all. Secondly, tell us how you are installing roll-up. rphometnng wrote: > I have win2k sp4 with exchange sp3 build 6249.4. I am trying to install the > August rollup update but the build version never changes and my memory leak > is still present. > What is going on? Are you expecting to see Exchange 2000 SP4 listed in Exchange System Manager after a...

XP Not shutting down
Hi hopefully I can get some help here on this. I'm rnning and old Emachine desktop w/ OS XP and recently when I go to shut it down it does not want to shut down. Just hangs. So I eventually shut it down from the power button on the tower, but I want to shut it down properly. What could be the cause of this and how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Kaja Not a Media Center related question, repost to a more appropriate group such as xp.general. -- -- "Kaja" <Kaja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E06199C-27A1-44E1-ABE6-88046FAD...

Installing VS2005 after VS2008
Hi, do you know if it is possible to install VS2005 (Team Suite) side-by-side on a machine where is already installed VS2008 Pro? Or should I first uninstall VS2008, then install VS2005 and then reinstall VS2008? Thanks in advance, Giovanni On Aug 10, 4:01=A0pm, "Giovanni Dicanio" <gdicanio@_NOSPAM_email_DOT_it> wrote: > Hi, > > do you know if it is possible to install VS2005 (Team Suite) side-by-side= on > a machine where is already installed VS2008 Pro? > > Or should I first uninstall VS2008, then install VS2005 and then reinstal= l > VS2008? >...

Configuring outlook on a xp Client
Hello, I need to configure a Windows XP outlook Client for using Exchange Server, whe I try to do it The proper screen to set user,domain,etc doesn't appear. but the screen to configure for internet does. Best Regards rigoberto.vera@saint-gobain.com ...

Unable to update public free/busy data
With Exchange 5.5, we are getting this error periodically in Microsoft Outlook. I believe this was caused because we used to have another exchange server which is no longer. I think the free/busy folder was stored on this other server. I wasn't here when this server existed so I'm somewhat unaware of information regarding that server. I found KB article 184151 which gave some instructions on how to resolve this, but I get stuck at step 5 where it asks me to double-click on the Schedule+ Free Busy Information. "The contents of this public folder are currently unavailable. Eit...

Problem re-installing on new Macbook
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi There, I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and am trying to re-install all the old apps from my earlier powerbook. I have a problem with installing Office v.X because after all these years I only have the v.X upgrade CD - I can't locate the Office 98 Upgrade and original Word for Mac CDs/Disks because its been such a long time! When I do the install it asks for the location of the earlier install. Is there any way to work around this? I have receipts for the purchase of Office v.X upgrade and Office 98 upgrade for...

.NET security update... won't install !
Have Windows XP SP3 (with IE7), .NET framework until version 2 installed. However, one (and only one) security update from Windows update will not install - ever, believe me I've tried multiple times for months. It's been downloaded somewhere to my local store, but the update itself fails, and the WU site keeps offering the update in question, viz. ..NET framework 1.1 SP1 Security update (KB 953297). What other .NET remated updates I have, all correctly installed according to my WU history : ..NET Fw 2.0 SP1 security (953300), ..NET Fw 2.0 SP1 (110806) Security u...

Error when updateing users info
Hi On installation upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0, I logged as CRM administrator and what to update my e-mail or any other user information and received this error. "The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." Error code 0x80040204 I checked that all users including me are in UserGroup in AD. Any suggestions ? TIA Shai ...

Quotes won't update
Ever since I installed Money Deluxe 2004 on a new PC I bought in April individual stock quotes stopped updating. All my quote updates were working in Money 2003 Deluxe prior to the 2004 update and the new computer and they are still working on my old computer. ALL OTHER INFORMATION ( PROVIDERS, MONEY UPDATES, ETC.) ARE WORKING AND NEVER CEASED WORKING. Individual quotes and the portfolio totals are not being updated, even though the date stamp in the lower left hand corner shows the correct date and time of the update and the message says the updates were successful. Microsoft phone...

.pst installation problem
I just loaded OL on my lap and tranfered the .pst from my dektop. All the info loaded, but when I shut down and reopened OL, it locked up at the license screen. I can't do anything from inside the program. I assume the problem is with the .pst import, but I can't find the .pst file on my hard drive to delete it. Any suggestions on what I can do to get OL to open fully? Thanks. You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlook can't use it at startup to build your toolbars, thus causing t...

Install of Money Pocket PC 2004
I have installed Money Pocket PC 2004 with my pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003 software. It tells me that I don't have Money installed on my desktop, but I do. I am running Money 2003 on my desktop. Until my recent upgrade on to MObile 2003, I was using Money on my Pocket PC just fine. Now, I can't get it to work. Any ideas here? Instructions said that you have to use Money 2004 on Mobile 2003, go figure. I'm getting frustrated here. I NEED my money back on the pocket pc. Look at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=ed6046dd25f94e3691a9c2be46 88583c&a...

Upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro w/ SP2 now IE will not open
I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro w/ SP2 today and received the following message during install: "unregmp2.exe Entry point not found - the procedure entry point internetgetsecurityinfo by urlw could not be located in the dynamic link library wininet.dll". I just clicked ok to the error a few times and the install continued and finished. Now internet explorer and outlook won't open. How can I fix this? Thanks Heather, this is a Dynamics GP forum. Although someone here may be able to help you, you should try posting your issue on a Windows forum. Good luck, Frank Hamel...

Access XP Pro to 2000 version
I'm trying to get a database from XP Pro to open in 2000. "Jake F" <JakeF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E71FD15-67CD-4DE0-A937-A9F4A0746347@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to get a database from XP Pro to open in 2000. Office "XP" = Office 2002 Office 2000, in other words, was released two years *prior* to Office XP's release. All Office applications are Backwards-compatible. No Office application is Forward-compatible. In Office 2002 (XP), use the "Save As" option to save as 2000. Steve I assume the mdb file is in 200...

Highlighting Updated Records
Hi I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please with a problem I have with a db I'm working on. I have a subform with approx 15 fields on it where on any given day can have their data amended, added or deleted. What I would like to do is to capture which records have been amended in a report within a given month. I know how to show which records have been updated by adding another field to the table which has a date stamp but my problem is as follows: I would like to actually show the individual fields which have been updated, rather than the whole record. Now I ha...

Installation Error
When upgrading Office 2004 Standard to SP 1, I get the following error message: An error prevented the update from completing 15002:2,-15 Can anyone offer a suggestion, or is there already a cure? ...

Pivot Table Updates Issue
My Data had a coloum containing stuff like Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department I built a bunch of pivot tables on this data. Then I changed the data to read: Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept and performed a Refresh Data. Now, on the filter pulldowns on any of the Pivot tables, I see Marketing Department Sales Department Shipping Department Marketing Dept Sales Dept Shipping Dept The first three option no longer exist in any of the data, and I do not want them in the list. How to fix this problem without recreating and reformatting 38 seperate Pivot table...

outlook 2002 sp3 send/receive interval
Outlook 2002 with sp3 How do I set my "send/receive interval"? Whenever I am > sending a large file, the task details box keeps adding > send/receive tasks and reducing the % completion from > 100% to 50%, to 33%, to 25% etc etc Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Setup-> button Send/Receive... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1e9d201c455bc$c9301280$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Out...

Where do I find updates or downloads for Publisher 2001
I am trying to find updates and or downloads for Microsoft picture it publishing 2001 but continually get no information found, as a comeback but I know it existsbecause I have a copy can anyone help please? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rogjoolstwo <rogjoolstwo@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am trying to find updates and or downloads for Microsoft picture it > publishing 2001 but continually get no information found, as a > comeback but I know it existsbecause I have a copy can anyone help > please? Microsoft PictureIt ...

Fresh SQL Server 2008 install
I've installed SQL Server 2008 SP1 (developer) on my machine (Windows XP) and am having some issues with SSIS and SSRS - which is a pisser, cause that's why I bought it. MS will connect to databases and Analysis Services (whatever that is) just fine, however, I get the following errors in SSIS & SSRS: Reporting Services: TITLE: Connect to Server ------------------------------ Cannot connect to JAY\MSSQL2008. ------------------------------ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The username or password is not valid or you do not have permission to ac...

Update Chart Source Data
I used the "Record Macro" function to get the code shown below. When I recorded the macro, the value of A1 was 392. But when I actually ran the macro, the value of A1 was 393. As you can see, the "Record Macro" function "hard coded" the value of 392. How can I make this work such that the SeriesCollection is updated with the CURRENT value of A1? Sheets("Chart2").Select Range("A1").Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Chart1").Select ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Act...

Cost Update Method
I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should be able to update costs throught the Store Settings > Options > Inventory screen. I do not have the 'Cost update method" options listed on that screen. How can I have my costs updated using the weighted average method? Go to File>Configuration>Inventory, in Store Operations Manager. You should be able to select Weighted Average as your Cost Update Method. "BikeShop" wrote: > I'm using POS 2.0. The manual and the help information indicate you should > be able to up...

Installed from CD, apps in "trial" mode #2
I went through the whole procedure again. Here is the list of files in the Trash: com.microsoft.Office.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Excel.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Entourage.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Entourage.plist com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist Office Font Cache (11) Microsoft Office ACL [English] OLE Registration Database 11 OfficeSync Prefs Custom Dictionary Office 11 First Run Entourage Preferences Proofing Tool Preferences Office Registration Cache 11 OK, the Remove Office tool is operating correctly, there's something else wrong. Check back in a few days, I'm escalatin...

Proofing Tool Installation?
I have the disk for Microsoft Office 2007. My computer crashed and I had to reinstal everything. The spellcheck does not work on any documents. It was telling me that the English proofing tools was not installed but lately it just says spell check complete, even though I intentionally put misspelled words in it to see if it would catch them. I have unchecked the "do not check spelling or grammer" and "detect language automatically" boxes but nothing seems to help. Please help as this is my work computer which I type letters on and I am not a great speller...

Updating Standard Costs
I'm looking for an easy way to update all of our standard costs so that they can be used for quotational purposes. Unfortunately, the only way that it seems I'll be able to accomplish this is if I can create some sort of SQL script. Depending on what the difference is (percentage) between the current cost, and the current standard cost they want the new standard cost to be the current cost * x% (where x is going to vary). We're using the Horizons Manufacturing Suite, and I don't believe it has this capability. Anyone else been in this situation before? How did you a...