Hiding KB976002 results in security warning

Windows XP SP3

Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
wants to have it.

However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
I restore this update.

This is of course incorrect.  KB976002 is not a security update.

Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
without further messages and incorrect warnings.
0
Rob
3/6/2010 10:00:27 AM
windowsupdate 1336 articles. 0 followers. Follow

11 Replies
911 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as 
critical.  At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can 
change anything on the Windows Update site.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 3/6/2010 5:00 AM, Author: Rob  Wrote:
> Windows XP SP3
> 
> Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
> Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
> update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
> wants to have it.
> 
> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> I restore this update.
> 
> This is of course incorrect.  KB976002 is not a security update.
> 
> Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
> without further messages and incorrect warnings.
0
G
3/6/2010 3:56:51 PM
G. R. Woodring <tejbbqevat@rneguyvax.arg> wrote:
> I expect that the Law Givers have *required* Microsoft to classify it as 
> critical.

Fine.  But that does not make it a security update.

> At any rate this is a user-to-user support group, no one here can 
> change anything on the Windows Update site.

What Microsoft writes about feedback is not true?
Maybe the lawyers should go after that...
0
Rob
3/6/2010 4:52:11 PM
Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates 
now, don't worry about it.

[OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
now?]

> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> I restore this update.

No, it says:

<QP>
You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical 
security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great 
danger"] until they are installed...
</QP>

KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

WYSIWYG (at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) when you hide any update and 
run an EXPRESS or CUSTOM scan for updates (which will offer any Critical or 
Important updates without distinguishing any differences).

The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It -
Microsoft On The Issues:
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx

More in the first post of
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/12fb0294-fd62-4487-a14b-ac37071c1081
-- 
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Rob wrote:
> Windows XP SP3
>
> Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
> Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
> update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
> wants to have it.
>
> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> I restore this update.
>
> This is of course incorrect.  KB976002 is not a security update.
>
> Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
> without further messages and incorrect warnings.

0
PA
3/6/2010 6:57:09 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates 
> now, don't worry about it.

In Europe, it is.

> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]
>
>> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
>> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
>> I restore this update.
>
> No, it says:
>
> <QP>
> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical 
> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great 
> danger"] until they are installed...
> </QP>

In the Dutch translation, it certainly says that.  I cannot check the
English/American version.

> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.

So if you hide it, it should not suggest that your computer is in
danger.
0
Rob
3/6/2010 7:46:08 PM
Stop using quoted passages of my posts out of context, please!  This isn't 
the first time you've done so, either.  Quote my *entire* post, verbatim, or 
don't bother replying at all.

Rob wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic 
>> Updates
>> now, don't worry about it.
>
> In Europe, it is.
>
>> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
>> now?]
>>
>>> However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
>>> security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
>>> I restore this update.
>>
>> No, it says:
>>
>> <QP>
>> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
>> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical
>> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great
>> danger"] until they are installed...
>> </QP>
>
> In the Dutch translation, it certainly says that.  I cannot check the
> English/American version.
>
>> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related 
>> update.
>
> So if you hide it, it should not suggest that your computer is in
> danger. 

0
PA
3/6/2010 7:54:21 PM
RE: OT.

Negative
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

I got  Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested.

Please refine your search or try one of the other helpful links that are 
provided here. KB976002

-=-

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Short answer: As long as KB976002 isn't being offered by Automatic Updates 
> now, don't worry about it.
> 
> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]
> 
> > However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> > security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> > I restore this update.
> 
> No, it says:
> 
> <QP>
> You've hidden important [not "critical security"] updates
> You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority [not "critical 
> security"] updates but your computer might be at risk [not "in great 
> danger"] until they are installed...
> </QP>
> 
> KB976002 is an Important update, not a Critical or security-related update.
> 
> WYSIWYG (at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) when you hide any update and 
> run an EXPRESS or CUSTOM scan for updates (which will offer any Critical or 
> Important updates without distinguishing any differences).
> 
> The Browser Choice Screen for Europe: What to Expect, When to Expect It -
> Microsoft On The Issues:
> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx
> 
> More in the first post of
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/12fb0294-fd62-4487-a14b-ac37071c1081
> -- 
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> 
> Rob wrote:
> > Windows XP SP3
> >
> > Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install.
> > Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical
> > update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user
> > wants to have it.
> >
> > However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical
> > security update and that my computer will be in great danger until
> > I restore this update.
> >
> > This is of course incorrect.  KB976002 is not a security update.
> >
> > Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden
> > without further messages and incorrect warnings.
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
3/6/2010 8:01:01 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stop using quoted passages of my posts out of context, please!  This isn't 
> the first time you've done so, either.  Quote my *entire* post, verbatim, or 
> don't bother replying at all.

Hey mister know-it-all, when you don't like to get a reaction on your
reply then don't reply to my posting!

It seems the only thing you can is negatively comment on other people's
questions.
0
Rob
3/6/2010 8:31:12 PM
Ǝиçεl <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> RE: OT.
>
> Negative
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> I got  Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested.
>
> Please refine your search or try one of the other helpful links that are 
> provided here. KB976002

Here in .nl the link works fine.
Microsoft probably restrict the link to people in the EU only.
0
Rob
3/6/2010 8:32:22 PM
Bite me!

<plonk>


Rob wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Stop using quoted passages of my posts out of context, please!  This 
>> isn't
>> the first time you've done so, either.  Quote my *entire* post, verbatim,
>> or don't bother replying at all.
>
> Hey mister know-it-all, when you don't like to get a reaction on your
> reply then don't reply to my posting!
>
> It seems the only thing you can is negatively comment on other people's
> questions. 

0
PA
3/6/2010 10:48:44 PM
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:Ohgqj7VvKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
> now?]


Thanks for that.   BTW it leads to this...

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/eu-msft/docs/EC-MSFT_Timeline.doc

Talk about arbitrary and excessive.   ; }


---  

0
Robert
3/7/2010 6:05:09 AM
The link takes me to the KB article now (i.e., +12 hours later).

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Ohgqj7VvKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>> [OT: Can anybody else access http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002 right
>> now?]
>
>
> Thanks for that.   BTW it leads to this...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/eu-msft/docs/EC-MSFT_Timeline.doc
>
> Talk about arbitrary and excessive.   ; }
>
>
> --- 

0
PA
3/7/2010 6:36:20 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do I hide the names of Addressees in a sent note? ?
I wish to hide the names of the addressees from others when a send a note out to a broad audience Put them in the bcc field. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Mark Clemens" <Mark Clemens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF1B74E4-C3B2-4DB1-94A1-1829E00F13A5@microsoft.com... >I wish to hide the names of the addressees from others when a send a note >out > to a broad audience > And if you don't see the bcc field in your email header area, you'll nee...

Multiple results with Count
Hello Everybody, In Access 2003, I am trying to get multiple results in a query using Count with the same column and table as my source of data. So far I have been unsuccessful in bringing two results of Count onto a same query. For example: I have a list of amounts paid to different employees in a column. I want to count the rows base on two different criteria (i) rows with amounts more than $1000 each and (ii) rows with amounts less than $500. I want to get the results of these two criteria in same query but in two different fields with distinct names. What would be the structure of ...

Hiding Columns In Excel
When I try to hide too many columns in Excell I get the following message and it won't let me hide the columns, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". Is there a workaround? What am I doing wrong? The following MSKB article may help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=211769 Also, Dave Peterson recently posted this advice: '================ Someone with the same problem posted back that their comments were getting resized causing the trouble. Maybe enabling: Tools|Options|View|Comment and ...

hiding columns
Hi, I have a report that has 17 fields. Therefore, it has two pages when I print it off. Is there a way that I can squeeze the 17 fields in one page report? --------------- In Excel, we can hide or show columns when we need them or not. Can I hide/show the fields on report? Thanks Chi Reports in Access are based on queries (ideally), or on tables. If your report is based on a table with 17 fields, you are still not required to include all the fields/controls on your report. A preferable approach would be to create a query that only returns the fields/columns of data you need in you...

Check the security update from MS Corp.
--wadrggrtzyh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ipwfliboy"; type="multipart/alternative" --ipwfliboy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="adodlupkrh" --adodlupkrh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintai...

hiding rows #3
I want to find a quick way to hide various rows in a spreadsheet that contain zero values. i.e. below example i want to hide the whole row 'oranges' sales apples 100 pears 200 oranges 0 bananas 30 I have quite a lot of rows that may need hiding and any help would be appreciated, thanks. data>filter>autofilter -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "karl middleton" <karl middleton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64150DD9-6E0D-460D-8D75-21117ED6C23F@microsoft.com... >I w...

Pop Up Warnings #2
Is there a way to turn-off a pop-up warning? I have been experiencing continued bombardment of warnings of zero or negative values while working with log charts. I am well aware of this warning and do not need to be continously reminded about it. The large, imported data sets I work with prevent me from cleaning up the data to prevent the warning. Plotting of the data is NOT the problem, the pop-up warning IS the problem. This pop-up is driving me crazy because you must hit OK each time it launches in order to continue. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Wyoming John See the r...

What is the warning triangle in a cell and how do I get rid of it.
I'm using the new Office 2004 for the Mac and first, I hate it! But, how do I get rid of the green (warning?) triangle in the cells. I haven't entered a equation and I have no idea where it came from. Please help. I don't have a Mac but you may be seeing the background error checking flag. If so, you can turn off this feature (in Windows versions at least) under Tools, Options, Error Checking. -- Jim "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71CF7B27-CD53-4E18-805A-7F8FFE79FB27@microsoft.com... > I'm using the new Office 2...

Hiding zero values
I have a chart with data in Columns C and E. I want the columns to zero out when subtracted (ex:=E2-C2). My issue is I only want zeros in the answer column G to display in the rows with data, not in the rest of the column where I put the formula. Is that possible? Any ideas would be helpful. I can't hide zero values becuase then nothing in the column would display at all. I tried an If Statement but I get a circular reasoning error. HELP! Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A C# WaveOut API Player - Recorder Library http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/...

Hide worksheets if macros are disable
Hi, what I was hoping to do is if the marcros are disable when the file is opened all the worksheets are hidden except one with a message saying to enable macros in which case this sheet would be hidden if the macros were enable. TIA If macros are disabled, there's nothing you can do to change they way it opens. Maybe you can save the file with the worksheets hidden the way you want. Then have your auto_open/workbook_open unhide the ones you want to see. Eintsein_mc2 wrote: > > Hi, what I was hoping to do is if the marcros are disable when the file > is opened all the work...

Possible to hide a sub-report if NULL values?
Hi, I have created a report (column) that list open invoices and I have also attached a sub-report (different table) that displayes comments. Problem: sub-report is showing for all invoices, but I would like it to show ONLY for invoices that has a comment. That is, invoices that has no comments only list their usual values, and invoices with comments I have a sub-report displaying the comment. Is that possible? (otherwise my invoice-list with contain a lot of unecessary space - used by the sub-report). Kindly, Mikael Mikael Lindqvist wrote: >I have created a report (column) that l...

OWA 2003 Logoff Button Results in Login Prompt
We are are running Exchange 2003 SP1, and have a separate front-end server. When we click the 'Logoff' button in the upper right-hand corner of the OWA screen, we are immediately prompted to authenticate again. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this issue? On the OWA front-end, we have Basic authentication enabled (so users dont have to enter a domain\ at logon), and forms authentication is not enabled. We do not have SSL enabled as of yet (we in the pilot phase right now), but will for security reasons later this week. Thanks, Pet On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:29:52 -0700,...

Spreadsheet Security
Hi I have created a spreadsheet that does calculations in the background, my question is how do I apply a password BEFORE the user gets to see the main sheet. e.g when they open the spreadsheet they are automatically asked for the password before anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks In Excel 2003, go to Tools > Options, select the Security tab, and specify a password needed to open the workbook. In Excel 2007, it's way more difficult. Go to the Office button > Save As, then in the Save As dialogue you'll see a "Tools&quo...

hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet
Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'. WHat does this mean and how do I work around it? Thanks! hi, excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column IV or below row 65536. solution. highlight all the column to the right of your data and hit the delete key. that should fix it. >-----Original Message----- >Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message >says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet&...

Autofilter shows no results, but there should be because there are matches
the column that I am trying to use autofilter on has nothing but numbers in it. But when I do a custom filter for a number that begins with '5' (for example), it shows no results. Even though there are plenty of numbers that start with '5'. I do the same excercise on another worksheet that is formatted the same, and it works fine. If I go back to the non-working worksheet and retype the number in each cell the autofilter will work. WHY OH WHY is this so? That happened to me whenever I imported data from a particular database. On import, somehow a little 1/2 space was put i...

3.0 Security Model Questions/Issues
I am stumped in trying to figure out the logic in the 3.0 security model: 1) How do I "hide" sales quotas? (i.e. I don't want my engineers seeing a salesperson's quota. If I enable only view of local BU users, then the engineer can't attach a user from a different BU to an activity such as an email) 2) Is there a way to structure security so that a user can only modify his/her profile (i.e. name, address, phone, etc.)? It seems that I can only grant BU level access to this, thus he/she can modify the record of any user in the BU. Obviously, I could create a BU ...

Hide the Gridline for a cell in CListCtrl ??
Hi: I have a CListCtrl with gridlines turned on. Just wonder, is there a way to remove or hide the grid line for a particular cell? Thanks Polaris ...

Double Results in Query
New to Access I am trying to create a query that returns data from 2 tables. one table can have multiple entries on one day per person and the other table will only have one entry per person. 2 tables are DataEntry - will have multiple entries per day per person CallLog - one entry per person per day SELECT DataEntry.OrderTakenBy, DataEntry.Company, DataEntry.Date, DataEntry. Category, DataEntry.ShortCode, DataEntry.ContactName, DataEntry.PositionTitle, DataEntry.PostDateExt, DataEntry.FirmPreview, DataEntry.AllorProgramCodes, DataEntry.Units, DataEntry.value, DataEntry.Mark...

Button Level Security
Hi I am trying to implement something similar to field level security. I would like to hide the Convert Lead button for certain users in our organization. I have written the following script which is not working correctly. My script is: if ( currentUserHasRole("Account Manager")) { document.getelementById("_MBconvertLead").style.display = 'none'; } I keep getting an 'Object expected' error when opening a Lead. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Many Thanks Mark Hello Mark, Looks like a null reference, what does the currentUserHasRole() fun...

Hided values appears when I'm copying/pasting it to other worksheet
So, in one worksheet I have some data and there is some colums hided. When I selecting all that data and pasting to other worksheet, al these hided colums or rows values appears and I have to hide it again. Is there possibility to copy/paste in such way, that these hided value don't appear again? Thanks in advance Best Regards, Aivara -- Aivaras_Bakana ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Aivaras_Bakanas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2518 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

Querying results for two recent dates
I have a table "DETAILS" in which fields are Name Id TestDate Grade (all fields can be duplicated) Now I want a query which should return me 'Name' 'Id' ' TestDate' 'Grade in 2nd Last Test' 'Grade in Latest Test' It should be noted that every person appears the test many times and i just want the recent two results. The query should return names of only those people who have appeared in either or both of the last two tests I was trying to do this by running a query on a query but the results were ...

charts hided with black cover
Accidentally, I have got charts covered with a gray sheet. After clicking a chart the sheet disappears! How to remove this enoying problem? :confused: -- res2001 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ res2001's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18155 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384975 Choose Tools>Options On the View tab, under Objects, select "Show All" Click OK res2001 wrote: > Accidentally, I have got charts covered with a gray sheet. > After clicki...

Security Audit Trail
Does Dynamics GP support an audit trail of changes to user/class permissioning? Or is this the realm of 3rd party tools? Thanks! Go Tools >> Setup >> System >> Activity Tracking You can activity File Tracking of the setup files. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Busin...

Gifting appreciated securities
How do I record appreciated securities donated to charity? ...

hide a row if the values in the cell are zero
HI Can sombody help I need to hide a row if the values in the cell are zero Thanks I think the easiest way to do this is to select your range and apply Data|filter|Autofilter. Then you can use the dropdown and do: does not equal 0. Rosco wrote: > > HI > > Can sombody help > I need to hide a row if the values in the cell are zero > > Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...