Error Code 80070424 12-21-09

I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the
window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas?

Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?

"Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the
> window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?

For the benefit of those who gave up mind reading, what OS and service pack?
What AV are you running?  What spyware removal programs do you use?  Have
you run either recently?
You don't install "BitTorrent."  You install a client.  Which client did you
install?  Did your problems start after you installed this client?  Have you
tried System Restore to a point before you installed "BitTorrent"?

If I was able to answer all these questions for you, you could drop dead and
no one would miss you.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
12/21/2009 6:41:26 PM
Providing the edition of Windows installed along with it's Service Pack
level helps us to help *you*.

The 80070424 error usually occurs on 64 bit Vista systems because
TrustedInstaller.exe is either irreparably damaged or disabled.

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Norm wrote:
> I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the
> window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?
0
MowGreen
12/21/2009 7:48:13 PM
Sorry folks,

I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit Torrent
6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client. I have
not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time but I
added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think it's the
problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase as well
without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be the
culprit here.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Providing the edition of Windows installed along with it's Service Pack
> level helps us to help *you*.
>
> The 80070424 error usually occurs on 64 bit Vista systems because
> TrustedInstaller.exe is either irreparably damaged or disabled.
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
>   *-343-*  FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>

> Norm wrote:
> > I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the
> > window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?
> .

Norm, where did you d/l Bit torrent?  Search Google for Malwarebytes.
Download the free version and do a full scan.  Also uninstall Bit Torrent
and do a search for utorrent.

--

> Sorry folks,
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit
> Torrent
> 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client. I
> have
> not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time but I
> added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think it's
> the
> problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase as well
> without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be the
> culprit here.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> Providing the edition of Windows installed along with it's Service Pack
>> level helps us to help *you*.
>>
>> The 80070424 error usually occurs on 64 bit Vista systems because
>> TrustedInstaller.exe is either irreparably damaged or disabled.
>>
>> MowGreen
>> ===============
>>   *-343-*  FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>>

>> Norm wrote:
>> > I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In
>> > the
>> > window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any
>> > ideas?
>> >
>> > Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?
>> .

0
Michael
12/22/2009 12:25:21 AM
80070424 - ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

> ...The name of the client is Bit Torrent
> 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client.

If you're trying to download updates via Bit Torrent*, you're out in
la-la-land. See
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/downloads/filesharing.mspx &
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/06/the-cost-of-free-software.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Norm wrote:
> I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit
> Torrent
> 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client. I
> have not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time
> but I added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think
> it's the problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase
> as well without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be
> the culprit here.
>
> BroMow wrote:
>> Providing the edition of Windows installed along with it's Service Pack
>> level helps us to help *you*.
>>
>> The 80070424 error usually occurs on 64 bit Vista systems because
>> TrustedInstaller.exe is either irreparably damaged or disabled.
>>
>> Norm wrote:
>>> I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the
>>> window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any
>>> ideas?
>>>
>>> Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem?
>> .

0
PA
12/22/2009 1:43:29 AM
I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry entries
left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to Dec
9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on Dec 11th
but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.

"Michael" wrote:

> Norm, where did you d/l Bit torrent?  Search Google for Malwarebytes.
> Download the free version and do a full scan.  Also uninstall Bit Torrent
> and do a search for utorrent.
>
> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>

> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry folks,
> >
> > I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit
> > Torrent
> > 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client. I
> > have
> > not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time but I
> > added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think it's
> > the
> > problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase as well
> > without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be the
> > culprit here.
> >
> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> >> Providing the edition of Windows installed along with it's Service Pack
> >> level helps us to help *you*.
> >>
> >> The 80070424 error usually occurs on 64 bit Vista systems because
> >> TrustedInstaller.exe is either irreparably damaged or disabled.
> >>
> >> MowGreen
> >> ===============
> >>   *-343-*  FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ===============
> >>
> >> banthecheck.com

> >> .

> I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
> will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key.

Assuming you downloaded MBAM from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and
ONLY from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, that's the work of your
infector, not MBAM!

System Restore is NOT going to resolve this infection!

Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via...

Consumer Security Support home page

Otherwise...

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Norm wrote:
> I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
> will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
> uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry entries
> left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to
> Dec
> 9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on Dec
> 11th but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Norm, where did you d/l Bit torrent?  Search Google for Malwarebytes.
>> Download the free version and do a full scan.  Also uninstall Bit Torrent
>> and do a search for utorrent.
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
>> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>>

>> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry folks,
>>>
>>> I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit
>>> Torrent
>>> 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client. I
>>> have
>>> not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time but
>>> added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think it's
>>> the
>>> problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase as well
>>> without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be the
>>> culprit here.

0
PA
12/22/2009 5:08:52 PM
I've never ever run across malwarebytes asking for a key??????
Did you download it from here?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
--

> I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
> will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
> uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry entries
> left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to
> Dec
> 9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on Dec
> 11th
> but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Norm, where did you d/l Bit torrent?  Search Google for Malwarebytes.
>> Download the free version and do a full scan.  Also uninstall Bit Torrent
>> and do a search for utorrent.
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
>> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>>

>> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry folks,
>> >
>> > I am running Vista Home Premium (SP2)  The name of the client is Bit
>> > Torrent
>> > 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client.
>> > have
>> > not performed a sys restore yet. I run Spy Bot S&D from time to time
>> > but I
>> > added Spy Bot when I first purchased the PC in May so I don't think
>> > it's
>> > the
>> > problem. I removed Norton and added Avast on the day of purchase as
>> > well
>> > without problems so for all intense purposes, Bit Torrent could be the
>> > culprit here.

0
Michael
12/22/2009 5:18:40 PM
Ok Folks, here is the situation as complete as I can make it.  I never had a
firewall other then Windows Firewall. I always had an Anti-virus software
running (Avast) and the definition file is updated every day. I went to the
Malware site you displayed and downloaded the free version, ran a complete
scan of my system and repaired all entries identidied, I uninstalled Bit
Torrent and cleaned the residue files did a restore and the Error Code still
appears. So is my last resort to do a complete re-installation of Vista?

By the way I do appreaciate the help you've offered.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
>

> Norm wrote:
> > I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
> > will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
> > uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry entries
> > left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to
> > Dec
> > 9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on Dec
> > 11th but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Norm, where did you d/l Bit torrent?  Search Google for Malwarebytes.
> >> Download the free version and do a full scan.  Also uninstall Bit Torrent
> >> and do a search for utorrent.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> >> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

I think whatever you have may be embedded deep in your system.  Before you
wipe the drive, wait to see if anyone else can offer you further
information.  Also, boot into safe mode without networking and run a full
malwarebytes scan.

What do you mean by you did a restore?

--

> [...]
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Norm wrote:
>> > I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors
>> > that
>> > will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
>> > uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry
>> > entries
>> > left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to
>> > Dec
>> > 9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on
>> > Dec
>> > 11th but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.

0
Michael
12/23/2009 3:17:27 PM
What does "did a restore" mean?

If problems persist after running MBAM, see the rest of my previous reply
(quoted below).

0
PA