Can't confirm Windows Update is working

Not sure how to do this, but here goes.
Have a student running XP SP3 who wants to know that she's up to date with
her updates. Windows settings say automatic updates are on. When she tries to
run the manual update it fails. Windows suggests settings, which we set, but
to no avail. Downloaded latest WU utility, still nothing. Tried the NJR fix,
nothing. Just downloaded the REGISTERY.BAT file I found here, and will try it
and post results here.
Please let me know what additional information you need and what I need to
do to allow her to simply click on the Windows Update and successfully check
her system.
 --
Professor Ken

Ken wrote:
> Not sure how to do this, but here goes.
> Have a student running XP SP3 who wants to know that she's up to
> date with her updates. Windows settings say automatic updates are
> on. When she tries to run the manual update it fails. Windows
> suggests settings, which we set, but to no avail. Downloaded latest
> WU utility, still nothing. Tried the NJR fix, nothing. Just
> downloaded the REGISTERY.BAT file I found here, and will try it and
> post results here.
> Please let me know what additional information you need and what I
> need to do to allow her to simply click on the Windows Update and
> successfully check her system.

Control Panel  -->  Add or Remove Programs  -->  Check the "Show Updates"
box  -->  Look through the dates for things having been installed, got any
recent ones for the Windows Updates?

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you already have SP3...

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up.  No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files.  It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about.  But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Reboot again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Repeat this step again, Visit this web page (in Internet Explorer):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon.  When asked, select "RUN",
both times.  Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next".  Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next".  Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.  Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

 How to scan your disks for errors
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
 * will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

 How to Defragment your hard drives
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
 * will take time

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in Windows Firewall only.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan

Excel work done in Me
I did all my work on excel. I recently purchased a new computer that is using XP Home and, after downloading my work files, I cannot pull them up. What did I do wrong? Any help would be truly appreciated. Rick It sounds like you do not have Excel installed on your new computer. "Rick" <no1plantman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a93301c3ebdd$82fbb6a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I did all my work on excel. I recently purchased a new > computer that is using XP Home and, after downloading my > work files, I cannot pull them up. What did I do wrong? > Any help would be...

tracking service tags and work orders
Hi, Is it possible to customize MSRMS to track service tags of equipment and then track work orders associated with working on those products? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already figured this out. Thanks, Doug Morton Mountain POS JD has done some developments for this. I suggest you contact him (jdyoung@digitalretailer.com ). Regards Afshin Alikhani - afshin@retailrealm.co.uk Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = "Doug - Mountain POS" <DougMountainPOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B14D23C2-D447-4C2B-8804-3D80257EA2A7@microsoft...

Alt Tab not Working in Excel
Hey, hopefully someone can give me a hand here. Alt+Tab just stopped working to switch between sheets in excel. I DO have Tools>>Options>>View>>Windows in Taskbar checked. I do see multiple sheets in the windows taskbar so this isn't the problem. Additionally, I'm aware of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+F6 (and their reverse "shift" capabilities). I really need to be able to have the little window pop up (with Alt+Tab) to be able to select the correct file without going through them all like you have to with Ctrl+Tab. Additionally, switching between other windows works ...

Business Contact Manager 2003 Database Update
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3962C.16F7ECA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear All, I have what I believe a serious problem here. I have been using Outlook = 2003 with Business Contact Manager when it was in Beta 2 and even after = the Technical Refresh. Now, after both are released, I need to use the = BCM database that I have populated. The problem is that the database = cannot be backed up and then restored to the RTM BCM. It keeps telling = me that the version is differen...

How to update one form when closing another ?
I have two forms open. frmPeople has the Focus frmAccount does not. frmAccount has subFormPeopleList I add a new person to frmPeople (which is linked to frmAccount) Question 1: When I close frmPeople I want to update frmAccount so the new person shows in subFormPeopleList Quetion 2: But I'm also wondering if I add code to the "close event" for frmPeople to update frmAccount What will this do if frmAccount is not open? Will it add the person twice? I'm guessing not as updating a form doesn't really add data to the table... right? Thanks for any help. Mel Thanks...

Send Receive window.
Can someone please help. When you send or receive an email you can click on Send/Receive and a little window pops up with a green info bar letting you know whats coming in, how many, etc. This doesn't work for me anymore. It will do it only when there is nothing coming in or out. It will flash up connect/authorise/disconnect very quickly. If I have mail coming in, it will tell me down the bottom right of my screen. If i click Send/Receive while mail is been received, say 15 times nothing will happen. However once the mail is received that box will flash up 15 times quickly at...

my ftp app not work correctly on Vista
I wrote a simple ftp app for listing/downloading files from a directory on an FTP/web server. My app appears to install fine on XP and Vista machines, and it can communicate (list/download) with the FTP/web server no problem on the XP machines (Pro, HomeEdition). But on this Vista laptop my app wont connect to the FTP server (note: I did not try ftp.exe from the command line to rule out if it is the app - but I think the app is OK). An I.T. guy said that by default Vista network connections are set to disabled or something like that. However, I can view an aspx page on the same We...

Microsoft Update Agent fails to install
When I try to manualy update Vista basic it first wants me to update the Update Agent to ver. 7.4.7600.226. This update fails with error 8007005 and I can not do any system updates. Have searched this group and the entire web for answer to this problem for at least 4 hours without success. Any help wold be ppreciated... On Nov 15, 3:00=A0pm, MichaelY <michaely1...@gmail.com> wrote: > When I try to manualy update Vista basic it first wants me to update > the Update Agent to ver. 7.4.7600.226. This update fails with error > 8007005 and I can not do any system updates. ...

Windows xp updates question
When I try to update Windows XP IE will not load page. It's as if the page didn't exist. I go click on 'Tools/Window Update' but the MS update page will not be found. How can I fix this? Tony Alpha wrote: > When I try to update Windows XP IE will not load page. It's as if > the page didn't exist. I go click on 'Tools/Window Update' but the > MS update page will not be found. > > How can I fix this? Windows XP _____ Edition with Service Pack _ __-Bit? Internet Explorer version _? Assuming some 32-bit version of Windows XP...

weppart in popup window
Hi All, I have a custom webpart running on my sharepoint page. Is is possible to open this webpart in a popup window inside the sharepoint page. I just want to open only this webpart in popup window not the whole page in popwindow. your suggestion will be valuable for me. Thanks, Chandan Chandan, You could create a Web Part Page, put the single web part on it, and set the link to show in a new window. Using SP Designer, you could then customize the page so that only the body (i.e. web part) is displayed. "chandan" <ck.kislay@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

"Matchcode update" jobs again
Hi again. I've currently got 76.000+ system jobs of type "Matchcode update" in my CRM database, increasing all the time. All in all there are probably 200 accounts and maybe 400 contact records in this system. My database backup is over 200 megs already, and I', pretty sure most of it is "Matchcode update"s. Can I just a) turn that thing off (recurring job); what would it actually mean (i.e. what does it really do)? Or b) make it *not* store a new row in system jobs everytime it is executed? This just seems way stupid to me... TIA, Antti Kurenniemi The...

View -> Sized With Window (for Excel charts): I want it back, plea
While I appreciate that not every function survives from one version to the next, this is one I sorely miss ! I use Excel 2003 at work, and 2007 at home. I can stand the constant bleating about compatability. I can even (barely) tolerate the highlight colors not matching. But this? Why oh why was it removed? Can you at least recommend a macro / VBA script patch to reurn this functionality to the program ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" b...

Outlook 2000 Calendar Find won't work
When I try to use the "Find" command in Outlook 2000 Calendar I get a quick list of results then the screen clears to the "no items found" message. The "Find" command works in all other personal folders. Any idea what the problem is? ...

CtreeCtrl & item.iIntegral with manifest file not working correctly
Hi I working on a project and the tree items have different heights, i am changing the height with item.iIntegral see TVITEMEX Structure. Thats working perfect but if apply my application the manifest file for XP-Style see http://www.codeproject.com/macro/vc-xp.asp The tree lines are broken, is there a work around? If i remove the manifest files the tree control is working perfect.I want to use the XP-Style but also have the TreeCtrl working, any idea? I hope somebody can help me.... bye bye Lorenz Test Code i am using : m_tree is an CTreeCtrl; First call fillTree after that unequ...

Windows XP look
Hello, I added support in my program for windows xp look. But run into a problem that I don't know the answer too. I have some tab controls and each tab displays a child dialog, this child dialog does not get the windows xp look and is the old grey color which makes the whole dialog look bad. There must be an easy solution to this that I have missed? thanks /Niklas You need to call the EnableThemeDialogTexture with the handle for the dialog window and the ETDT_ENABLETAB flag. This is exported from uxtheme.dll. If this program needs to run on Pre-XP machines, you'll need to d...

Working with ISV.Config
Hi everyone Can anybody help me with ISV.config.xml file for CRM. I got ISV.config.xml file but donot know where to put the code. i know its silly question but i really wanna know. -- Jaber Put it at C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\_Resources folder "Jaber" wrote: > Hi everyone > Can anybody help me with ISV.config.xml file for CRM. > I got ISV.config.xml file but donot know where to put the code. > i know its silly question but i really wanna know. > -- > Jaber Hi Jaber, The ideal solution would be to import the file using the Import Customizations un...

Handle Of Modal Window
Hi guys, Obviously I am on MFC- visual C++.NET. and i am a bigginner. Here is my problem: Getting a handle of a window of a modal window and programatically clicking on its buttons. The modal window is openned by clicking on a menu item of the parent window. i have successfully openned the modal window using FindWindow from another application. i tried FindWindowEx but to no vail. i have not been able to find its handle and programatically click on its buttons. my objective is to be able to click on its buttons and then get handle to the another modal window openned by the click event and go o...

Data Execution Prevention
I have been trying to simply change my desktop theme/desktop color. Every attempt to execute the change gives me the DEP message about "run ..dll as an app". So I went into System Properties/Advanced/Performance and checked the box for an exception on "run .dll as an app". Reboot. Still wont allow me to do it. So I switched to "turn off DEP", which I know isn't wise, but I rebooted and it still will not let me change desktop theme, etc. A thorough online search turns up no info beyond what I've already tried. Can anyone help me solve this?...

mac office 2004 updater not installing
Hey all: Whenever I try to install the latest 2004 update in hopes to fix a memory leak and it keeps on telling me I need admin permissions. I am an admin on the machine. I enabled root, downloaded pseudo, created a new account with admin rights, and I'm still having the same problems. Any suggestions? Thanks, Molly Hi Molly, Boot from OS X Cd and try reparing Disk Permissions. Login under Root user and download Office 2004 Update and try installing. Hope this resolves your issue. -- Best Regards, Prasanna "Molly" <mollyj.business@gmail.com> wrote in message ne...

Excel 2002 external links do not work
When I open excel files with external links (Blooomberg Prices for example)in Office XP 2002, all links show #divd or #ref. even when the option do not update links is choosen. This was not the case in Windows NT. Is thsi a bug in Windows XP and is there a way to fix this? Thanks for your help! ...

Outlook2003: Search folders updates how and when?
Hi I've just upgraded from Outlook XP to 2003 and want to use some of the new features, in particular the search folders. I use 2 local data files (personal and work), and want to use "For follow up" for both these. They're easily created, but somehow the search folders doesn't always update properly. Sometimes when I set a red followup flag for a mail, the search folders is updated instantly - but often this is not the case. If I restart Outlook the search folder seem to update in a minute or so. Anyone know how I manually update the search folders? Thanks for any ad...

Help! send/receive button won't work
Hello, I have just reinstalled Outlook 2002 after uninstalling the evaluation version of Office 2003. When I click the send/receive button on the toolbar of Outlook I get a message in a popup outlook dialogue box "the operation failed". The history: I have just completed the evaluation of Office 2003. When I installed the evaluation version it overwrote outlook 2002 with ver. 2003. This did not happen with any of the other applications such as word, excel etc. In fact if I remember correctly at the time of installation it gave me the choice and I said I wanted access to O...

Keep a date from updating
Hi there. When I run my macro it populates cell A1 with todays date, the problem is the next day the date changes to the current day. I would like the date to stay at the date the macro is run then the next day it keeps the date etc. so I can look back in the month and see the correct date. Please help , am I missing soemthing simple here? Convert the formula [I expect it is =TODAY() ] to a value within the macro with these three lines of code Range("A1").Select Selection.Copy Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=...

ie explorer update/xp service pack update
I have had to reload my original operating system, after my computer failed. I have IE 6.00, xp service pack 1, x86 (32 bit) I want to upgrade to the home user version of service pack 3 and ie 8, but am blocked on Microsoft's Windows Download Center and Windows Update sites (Need a higher version of IE, but can't obtain the higher version of IE until I have SP 3, but can't download SP 3 until I have a higher level of IE). Help! Download, *save*, and then install Firefox 3.0.17 http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.0.17&os=win&lang=en-US Then d...

Independent Dynamics Windows
Is there anyway (in the dex.ini or anywhere else) to set so that the Dynamics windows do not drop to the bottom automatically? -- Doug The short answer is no. This is a product of the new single document interface to bring consistency with other Microsoft desktop applications in v10. While this may seem annoying at the beginning, in the end it will be no different than working with other applications or upgrading to a new version of Windows. Example, when you create a new email in Outlook it opens a single document window and not a window within the Outlook shell. This same concept...