WMP 12 Video Settings (Brightness/Contrast etc.) Won't Work

Hi,

I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce
GT 230m graphics card.

The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
(colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to
being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and
it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
should be possible within Windows Media Player.

I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia
control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.

Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7 (Home
Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.

I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not allow
me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.

I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me £50!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

**Additional Information**
Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
Windows Media Player:

Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft YUV
Intel IYUV codec IYUV
Toshiba YUV Codec
Cinepak Codec by Radius
Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
ffdshow Video Codec
VP60® Simple Profile
VP61® Advanced Profile
VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
Mpeg4s Decoder
WMV Screen decoder
WMVideo Decoder
Mpeg43 Decoder
Mpeg4 Decoder

  In WMP 11,one could click on tools,options,set player properties,this
 would be in classic display mode.Also,bring up the "view" tab,select "show
 enhancements",enhancements get shown in task bar for adjustments.Also,if
 older version WMP helps,in xp (maybe 7),one could go to run,type:
 MPLAYER2  An older WMP gets displayed.

"Crusoe89" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce
> GT 230m graphics card.
>
> The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
> (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to
> being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and
> it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
> should be possible within Windows Media Player.
>
> I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
> complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia
> control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
> controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.
>
> Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
> hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
> suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7 (Home
> Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
> allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
>
> I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
> KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
> Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not allow
> me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
>
> I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me £50!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> **Additional Information**
> Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
> Windows Media Player:
>
> Microsoft RLE
> Microsoft Video 1
> Microsoft YUV
> Intel IYUV codec IYUV
> Toshiba YUV Codec
> Cinepak Codec by Radius
> Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
> DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
> DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
> ffdshow Video Codec
> VP60® Simple Profile
> VP61® Advanced Profile
> VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
> Mpeg4s Decoder
> WMV Screen decoder
> WMVideo Decoder
> Mpeg43 Decoder
> Mpeg4 Decoder
What's the file type and format of these videos? Are you able to adjust
the video settings while playing a WMV file?

I would first uninstall the K-Lite codec pack. If there's a codec
required to play these videos, look for a separate download of that
codec and just install that.

Regards

--
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk

Crusoe89 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce
> GT 230m graphics card.
>
> The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
> (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to
> being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and
> it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
> should be possible within Windows Media Player.
>
> I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
> complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia
> control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
> controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.
>
> Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
> hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
> suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7 (Home
> Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
> allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
>
> I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
> KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
> Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not allow
> me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
>
> I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me £50!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> **Additional Information**
> Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
> Windows Media Player:
>
> Microsoft RLE
> Microsoft Video 1
> Microsoft YUV
> Intel IYUV codec IYUV
> Toshiba YUV Codec
> Cinepak Codec by Radius
> Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
> DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
> DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
> ffdshow Video Codec
> VP60® Simple Profile
> VP61® Advanced Profile
> VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
> Mpeg4s Decoder
> WMV Screen decoder
> WMVideo Decoder
> Mpeg43 Decoder
> Mpeg4 Decoder
0
Tim
1/22/2010 3:56:08 PM
What are you trying to do?

The Video Settings can NOT be used to globally compensate for a weird
driver, as they always reset after usage.  If you're trying to solve video
card issues, you would need to direct your efforts back to the driver.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Crusoe89" <Crusoe89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia
> GeForce
> GT 230m graphics card.
>
> The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
> (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used
> being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time
> and
> it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
> should be possible within Windows Media Player.
>
> I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
> complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The
> Nvidia
> control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
> controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.
>
> Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
> hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
> suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7
> Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
> allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
>
> I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
> KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
> Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not
> allow
> me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
>
> I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me
> �50!!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> **Additional Information**
> Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
> Windows Media Player:
>
> Microsoft RLE
> Microsoft Video 1
> Microsoft YUV
> Intel IYUV codec IYUV
> Toshiba YUV Codec
> Cinepak Codec by Radius
> Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
> DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
> DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
> ffdshow Video Codec
> VP60� Simple Profile
> VP61� Advanced Profile
> VP62� Heightened Sharpness Profile
> Mpeg4s Decoder
> WMV Screen decoder
> WMVideo Decoder
> Mpeg43 Decoder
> Mpeg4 Decoder

0
zachd
1/23/2010 2:40:09 AM
Thanks for your reply.
I can access the video enhancements, they just have no effect. All the other
enhancements, such as Graphic Equalizer etc. work, it is only the Video
Settings that don't. I tried 'MPLAYER2' but it just starts WMP12.

"Andrew E." wrote:

>   In WMP 11,one could click on tools,options,set player properties,this
>  would be in classic display mode.Also,bring up the "view" tab,select "show
>  enhancements",enhancements get shown in task bar for adjustments.Also,if
>  older version WMP helps,in xp (maybe 7),one could go to run,type:
>  MPLAYER2  An older WMP gets displayed.
>
> "Crusoe89" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce
> > GT 230m graphics card.
> >
> > The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
> > (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to
> > being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and
> > it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
> > should be possible within Windows Media Player.
> >
> > I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
> > complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia
> > control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
> > controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.
> >
> > Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
> > hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
> > suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7 (Home
> > Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
> > allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
> >
> > I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
> > KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
> > Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not allow
> > me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
> >
> > I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me £50!!
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > **Additional Information**
> > Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
> > Windows Media Player:
> >
> > Microsoft RLE
> > Microsoft Video 1
> > Microsoft YUV
> > Intel IYUV codec IYUV
> > Toshiba YUV Codec
> > Cinepak Codec by Radius
> > Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
> > DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
> > DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
> > ffdshow Video Codec
> > VP60® Simple Profile
> > VP61® Advanced Profile
> > VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
> > Mpeg4s Decoder
> > WMV Screen decoder
> > WMVideo Decoder
> > Mpeg43 Decoder
> > Mpeg4 Decoder
Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't seem to be a file format problem as they all play fine, except
that I can't adjust the Video Settings in any file type. I tried the K-Lite
Codec pack but removed it once I saw it had no effect.

I was able to play these same files and adjust the video settings using
KMPlayer, which allows access to all different kinds of settings, so it seems
to be a problem with WMP12 specifically. Quicktime player also allows video
settings adjustment.

I use WMP as the default media player and so would like the same
functionality I am used to. If it is a codec problem then I would have no
idea which one was at fault or what to download as none of the
troubleshooting or diagnostics programs have identified a problem.

I read online that my Nvidia Graphics card may not allow access to the
hardware acceleration settings in Windows 7 because everything is now
rendered in DirectX9, and indeed that option is 'grayed out' in my Nvidia
Properties menu (I am quoting however, as video rendering is beyond my
understanding!). So the problem could be there. The suggested solutions were
disabling Windows Aero (tried it, didn't work), or running the compatibility
mode for XP, which Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't appear to support!

If other media players allow me to change the video settings, why doesn't
WMP12?

Thanks for your help.

"Tim De Baets" wrote:

> What's the file type and format of these videos? Are you able to adjust
> the video settings while playing a WMV file?
>
> I would first uninstall the K-Lite codec pack. If there's a codec
> required to play these videos, look for a separate download of that
> codec and just install that.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Tim De Baets
> http://www.bm-productions.tk
>
> Crusoe89 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have new Sony CW laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with an Nvidia GeForce
> > GT 230m graphics card.
> >
> > The problem I have is that I can't adjust the video settings
> > (colour/contrast/brightness etc.) in Windows Media Player 12 as I am used to
> > being able to do in previous versions. I use this function all the time and
> > it is not enough for me to simply change the global settings as I know it
> > should be possible within Windows Media Player.
> >
> > I updated the Nvidia driver and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack (too
> > complicated - didn't know which codecs to adjust) with no result. The Nvidia
> > control panel settings are all set to 'use the video player's adjustment
> > controls' and I have had no luck adjusting any of the options.
> >
> > Access to the display driver settings is grayed-out, so I cannot adjust
> > hardware acceleration. I de-activated the Aero theme as I have seen
> > suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7 (Home
> > Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
> > allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
> >
> > I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
> > KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case with
> > Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not allow
> > me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
> >
> > I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me £50!!
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > **Additional Information**
> > Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info on
> > Windows Media Player:
> >
> > Microsoft RLE
> > Microsoft Video 1
> > Microsoft YUV
> > Intel IYUV codec IYUV
> > Toshiba YUV Codec
> > Cinepak Codec by Radius
> > Xvid MPEG-4 Codec
> > DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)
> > DivX 6.8.5 YV12 Decoder
> > ffdshow Video Codec
> > VP60® Simple Profile
> > VP61® Advanced Profile
> > VP62® Heightened Sharpness Profile
> > Mpeg4s Decoder
> > WMV Screen decoder
> > WMVideo Decoder
> > Mpeg43 Decoder
> > Mpeg4 Decoder
> .

Thanks for your reply.

I am merely trying to adjust the Video Settings (particularly
Brightness/Contrast) in video files by going to Enhancements>Video Settings
in WMP12. I simply want to be able to brighten media if it happens to be too
dark etc. on a file by file basis. Just the same as you would be able to add
more Bass etc. to a particular sound file using the Enhancements menu.

When I mentioned 'Global settings', I was addressing the fact that I have
seen suggestions elsewhere that you could simply turn up the brightness of
the monitor, or use the graphics card settings to brighten all media. But I
only want to be able to adjust the settings within WMP if I wish to, as I was
able to do in the past.

I have downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers (even though the computer is
brand new) from the Sony Vaio site to make sure they were compatible, but it
did not change anything.

Thanks for your help.

On Jan 23, 11:01=A0am, Crusoe89 <Cruso...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > > suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows =
> > > Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may hav=
> > > allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
>
> > > I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried th=
> > > KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case w=
ith
> > > Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does n=
ot
> > > allow
> > > me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
>
> > > I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me
> > > =A350!!
>
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > > **Additional Information**
> > > Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical inf=

window media player is not worthy to play video files since adjustment
of video control,i.e,cntrast,brightness,hue is so difficult and not
actually working.So, i suggest that you use VLC player instead till
Microsoft can address this problem.
0
2patt
1/24/2010 9:06:40 AM
Yes, I think you are right and I have already downloaded other media players
to give them a try.

But I am disappointed as, flawed though it is, I am used to using WMP as my
default media player. I have all my playlists organized using WMP and my
computer is brand new, so it is frustrating that something as simple as
adjusting the Brightness/Contrast is failing to work.

I doubt Microsoft will be working on this as it does not seem to be a
problem that many encounter, and it also makes me wonder if there is an
underlying error causing this fault that needs fixed, rather than it simply
being a glitch with WMP12.

Oh, well, I'll just keep trying!

Thank for all the help and suggestions!

> window media player is not worthy to play video files since adjustment
> of video control,i.e,cntrast,brightness,hue is so difficult and not
> actually working.So, i suggest that you use VLC player instead till
> Microsoft can address this problem.

Gotcha.

You mentioned that you installed K-Lite: that could have put WMP in a weird
state. If you uninstall WMP using Turn Windows Features On or Off and then
reinstall it, that *may* get the WMP registry back in the correct state.

These should work fine for WMV files and a variety of other types.  If
you're seeing them *not* working for WMV, something is awry with your
system.

--
> [...]
>> > suggested, but it did not change anything, and my version of Windows 7
>> > Premium) apparently does not support 'Virtual XP' mode, which may have
>> > allowed me to run a previous version of WMP.
>> >
>> > I have posted this question on other forums without reply. I tried the
>> > KMPlayer and was able to change the video settings, as was the case
>> > with
>> > Quicktime, but it is very disappointing that my brand new Vaio does not
>> > allow
>> > me this simple functionality in the media player I frequently use.
>> >
>> > I have not contacted Microsoft support as it would apparently cost me
>> > �50!!
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > **Additional Information**
>> > Here is a list of the codecs installed according to the technical info

0
zachd
1/25/2010 8:51:04 PM
Hi again,

I have had this problem with WMP in the past (and in fact you helped me on
this forum then too!), but I was always able to tweak something or download a
codec pack that solved the issue. Therefore one of the first things I tried
straight out of the box on my new laptop was the WMP Video Settings, and they
didn't work!

I downloaded the K-Lite pack (as I was pretty sure it was a codec pack that
solved the issue last time) and when it didn't work, I reverted the entire
system back to the restore point I created before installing it, just to make
sure it didn't cause any residual problems.

I just don't know enough about codecs (or anything about video rendering at
all!) to be able to tell which ones need downloading/tweaking etc. And it is
also very hard to narrow down where the conflict might be i.e. is it the
graphics card, or a driver problem, or something to do with hardware
acceleration etc.!!

I tried 're-installing' WMP12 as you suggested, but there was no change.

One thing I have noticed is that there aren't as many options to mess around
with in WMP12 as there were in earlier versions (e.g. there are no 'Video
Acceleration' options). I'm wondering if other media players in which the
video enhancements work allow access to settings that WMP12 doesn't since it
is part of Windows 7. But then, why doesn't everyone with Windows 7 have this
problem!!

I will keep trying to solve this issue and let you know if I ever succeed!

Kind Regards.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Gotcha.
>
> You mentioned that you installed K-Lite: that could have put WMP in a weird
> state. If you uninstall WMP using Turn Windows Features On or Off and then
> reinstall it, that *may* get the WMP registry back in the correct state.
>
> These should work fine for WMV files and a variety of other types.  If
> you're seeing them *not* working for WMV, something is awry with your
> system.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.

Hi,

I fixed it!! My laptop started in 'Diagnostic Startup' mode for some reason,
and when I tried the Video Settings on WMP12, they finally worked! So I
realised it must be one of the Startup programs or Services that was to
blame. I went through them all in System Configuration, turning them back on
one by one, and found it was 'Vaio Event Service' that was to blame.

Apparently it is the program that allows you to use keyboard 'hotkeys' with
the 'Fn' button to control volume, brightness etc. Turning this off has
disabled some of the hotkeys, but so far, none that I use. I will see if
there is a way to fix this conflict, but at the moment I am really happy to
have tracked down the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind Regards.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Gotcha.
>
> You mentioned that you installed K-Lite: that could have put WMP in a weird
> state. If you uninstall WMP using Turn Windows Features On or Off and then
> reinstall it, that *may* get the WMP registry back in the correct state.
>
> These should work fine for WMV files and a variety of other types.  If
> you're seeing them *not* working for WMV, something is awry with your
> system.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.

Service work order
Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a technology work order would be great. Just something that states the date, client name, description of problem, date completed. geek Browse around in the Template Gallery. May find something? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:59:03 -0800, schoolgeek63 <schoolgeek63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone have a template for a service work order? More specifically, a >technology work order would be great. Just something t...

Outlook Plain Text Setting
I am starting to move my users over to Outlook and Exchange 2003. I noticed that by default Outlook is setting the users up as HTML e-mail. Is there a way that I can set all of my users up with Plain Text for e-mail? Thanks, Jeff That is a user setting, of course, under Tools-->Options-->Mail Format You can use the following to ensure inbound email is read as plain text, and therefor replies will be plain text: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/plain_text.htm "Jeff Grossman" <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote in message news:lcr542hthnrf6qfqikqrm4cdebs11ikuaa@4ax.co...

XML Map
Hi all, I import XML data into a worksheet, and choose a mapping name, but I have no idea how to change the path so that it is dynamic. I've been trying to find a way to set my mapping paths to dynamic, so that when I move the folder that contains the xl file and xml files, the mapping path still works. Help :) Cheers, Grant. I'm not sure you can make it 'dynamic' per se but you can write code to change. Here's a sample of changing the bound xml document. ActiveWorkbook.XmlMaps(1).DataBinding.LoadSettings ("C:\Services Proposal.xml") -- Charles...

Please help! Outlook not working at all!
Hi! I have been working with Outlook for years - it was always a great feature - but now it is critical since I have an Ipaq that I need to sync to it. Outlook somehow is no longer working/on my computer. I have tried repeatedly to reinstall - to "fix" - anything with NO luck. I get an icon to click on for Outlook and then it goes directly to personal folders (nothing actually happens). Every other component of Office 2000 is working perfectly. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I am desperado!!!! Have you run "Detect and Repair" from under help in Outl...

Implication of setting the Publish Task field to No
Hi all, Can anyone pls advise of what the implications are on setting the publish task field to no in terms of reporting. For example if using reports from the resource centre to review actual work by resource will non published tasks be included. Or if running a report through the OLAP cube? Further should fields like total project costs displayed in the Project Centre or OLAP reports display the total minus the non published tasks? We are currently setting a number of project tasks to publish No to simplify the timesheet experience for resources but are noting a number of ...

System Setting not available
I am not able to create users because System under Settings is greyed out. I am logged on as SA. I am using GP 7.5. Help? Who is dbo for the DYNAMICS database? If it is other than 'sa' or 'DYNSA', such as 'administrator', run sp_changedbowner 'DYNSA'. Has this been a working GP system, or are you trying to restore to a new server? "Tiffany" wrote: > I am not able to create users because System under Settings is greyed out. > I am logged on as SA. I am using GP 7.5. Help? > > > It is just sa. We installed the app on...

Works won't open in Word
On some computers in our environment I can simply right click on a works document and do an open w/ word and the document will come right up. On most I can't though. We are using Office XP 2002, and should all be on the same patch level. Was there an update to office or a setting that needs to be set to make this work on all machines? Do the PCs on which you can't do this have the appropriate Works filter installed? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word ...

Outlook 2002 auto send/receive no longer working
For some reason my pop3 dailup no longer sends/receives automatically when launching outlook, or at timed intervals. Can someone help with suggestions on reseting this feature? XP Pro I'm using. I even did a repair of Office XP and a clean install. Thanks for any help! What are your Send/Receive group settings? Have you checked in the File menu to see if you have set your installation to Work Offline? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "circuit slave" <sh101@earthling.net> wrote in message news:2aee226c.0308230131.2914b6b5@posting.google.com... > For some reason my pop3 ...

Help mfcdll not working in vb
I am trying to write one MFC dll. I have created one test function declared like this in the cpp of dll _declspec(dllexport)void test() { AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()); AfxMessageBox("Hello"); } the problem is that this dll works fine when i use it in vc project but in VB it gives the following error Can't find dll entry point test in test.dll However when i declare this function in test.def it starts working in VB but gives an error in VC. I am not able to find out the reason for this behaviour. I will be thankful for any help on this. Sumit Marwal ...

This code doesn't work, why?
Create a new MCF project (test_odbc). Using the wizard, add a class to conect to a database in SQL server (CMyDB). The code looks like this: void Ctest_odbcApp::fun1(CRecordset *pRS) { CString csValue; pRS.GetFieldValue(0,csValue); // <- Generates a CDBException. Why? } BOOL Ctest_odbcApp::InitInstance() { CMyDB cDB; CString csValue; try { cDB.Open(); cDB.MoveFirst(); cDB.GetFieldValue(0,csValue);// <- This works fine fun1(&cDB); cDB.Close(); } catch(CDBException *pDBE) { pDBE->ReportError()...

IMF on Exchange 2003 SP1 not working
After a disaster recovery, IMF doesn't appear to be working. I removed it through add/remove programs and reinstalled. It didn't appear to create the UCE folder. Which UCE folder? Do you mean the archive folder? Can you check performance counters - are any messages being scanned by IMF? It the Total Messages Acted Upon counter increasing? Are you getting any messages with SCLs above your gateway threshold? Is the action set to Archive? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "brad306" <bk@...

DLL build with eVC won't work with VS2005 because of CString
Hi, I'm creating a new Smart Device MFC dialog application project with Visual Studio 2005 which need to use a DLL build with eVC (Windows CE equivalent of VC6). I have a linker issue that I'm not able to resolve related to the CString class that seems to have changed in VS2005. Here is the link error: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class ATL::CStringT<wchar_t,class StrTraitMFC_DLL<wchar_t,class ATL::ChTraitsOS<wchar_t> > > __thiscall CWindowsRegistry::Read(struct HKEY__ *,class ATL::CStringT<wchar_t,class StrTraitMFC_DLL<wchar_t...

How do I set a combobox listfillrange to a range in another workb.
I have a combobox on sheet1 of workbook1. I'd like to set the combobox property LISTFILLRANGE to a range in workbook2. Is the other workbook going to be open? If yes, you can just go into design mode (another icon on the Control toolbox toolbar). rightclick on your combobox select properties scroll down to ListFillRange and type in the address--like: [book2.xls]sheet1!A1:A10 but as soon as you close that other workbook, you break your combobox. Maybe you could use a formula (on a hidden sheet) to return the values from that other workbook and use that range for your listfillrange fo...

Group Contact was working before, now it will not work
I have a number of group contacts where I email my message to. It has been working well for months. However a week ago, Outlook returned the mails saying the contact addresses are not vaild. I cannot find any solution any where. Can anyone help? We have no idea what you mean by group contacts. If you mean a Distribution List, this is a common occurrence. DL's are not reliable or robust. They become corrupt frequently and cannot be repaired. Few of us rely upon them for that reason. You can always try restoring it from your most recent backup. -- Russ Valentine "LS...

Multi touch does not work sometimes
I'm developping the HID KMDF minidriver for USB multi touch device. This driver uses continus reader for sending the multi touch report. This driver works correctly in normal way but when plug and unplug USB with PC repeatly (many times), multi touch does not work. I traced the driver on WinDBG, driver response the IOCTL_HID_READ_REPORT correctly. I should resolve this problem. Please advice me. I think this problem is caused by communicatiion between driver and continous reader. My driver store report id should be read by continuos reader on first 2 IOCTL_HID_READ_REPOR...

CRM Email delivery not working
1. I have CRM 3.0 on an SBS2003 box. 2. I have an account support with an email address of support@mydomain.com 3. I have created a CRM support account with the name techsupport and email of techsupport@mydomain.com I have applied the custom attribute CrmMailEnabled to the Exhange advanced settings, and disabled the user in AD 4. I have created a queue called Email Support with the email address in 3. above. 5. I have run the Exhange Rules Wizard supplied with CRM and chosen the CRM mailbox to be the user/email in 1. above, and run the rule on the Queue created in 4. above. 6. No ma...

Task 'Work
When downloading an email with an Excel attachment (I have had this happen with both '97 - 2003 and 2007 formats) I get this error: Task 'Work - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The mail administrator at our ISP sees no issues on his side. If I do not download with Outlook 2007 I can go into my webmail and the email is there and I can get the attachment. It also appears in my Blackberry mailbox. However, wh...

Like criteria on a combo box ot working the way I want... Please help!
All, Below is a the standard code I use in a combo box. Dim rs As Object Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone rs.FindFirst "[llListingID] = " & str(Nz(Me![cboTerritoryName], 0)) If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark Me.Form.AllowAdditions = False The query used to find the data is... SELECT qryLister.llListingID, qryLister.llTerritoryName FROM qryLister WHERE (((qryLister.llTerritoryName) Like "*"+[Enter any part of Territory Name:]+"*")); All works fine for the first look-up. But in order to refresh the combo box so it allows one to &...

OnLoad, OnSave, OnChange scripts not working
Hello, I have one custom entity “Product Purchase” which is customized. The problem is script for OnLoad, OnSave and OnChange events are not working for this entity (Product Purchase). I have tried with just debugger and one sample alert on OnLoad, but even this is not working. Please provide your valuable inputs. Thanks and help appreciated. BB Hi Bharat, I guess, the event is not enabled. Select the Event is Enabled check box to enable the event. Ramasubramanian "Bharat Chawla" wrote: > Hello, > > I have one custom entity “Product Purchase” which is customiz...

backup same set of servers from 2 DPM 2007 servers
I am changing the DPM server 2007. However, I would like to take this opportunity to revise all protection groups so that I can restore bare-metal any server from a single lTO-4 tape if possible. During this "transitional period," I would like to leave the existing backup settings on the older DPM server to continue to run while adding jobs to the new DPM server. Looks like to me that I have to re-install the agent on all servers so that they can be recognized by the new DPM server. IS there a better way to do this if my plan is possible at all? Thanks Bill ...

set first record to zero in a calculated field
I have a query which compares the current record's create time with the previous record's create time, which gives me the number of seconds elapsed between button presses. All works fine, except the first record is blank. I want it to say either zero or 1 second, regardless of what the query say's. This is the SQL (which creates a sub query from the exisitng table in order to compare current with previous record.) SELECT tbl_Waypoints_Reveal_Target.Run_No, tbl_Waypoints_Reveal_Target.Run_waypoint_List_ID, tbl_Waypoints_Reveal_Target.Run_waypoint, tbl_Waypoints_Reveal_Targe...

System Cleanup not working
I have a few 2003 enterprise servers which are all on the same Recipient & Mailbox Policy's. Mail does not move to system cleanup folder which is past msg age limit and mail is not being deleted from Deleted Items folder past msg age limit. I checked out the old msgs that should have moved and they meet the requirements noted in http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302804: • PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME • PR_CLIENT_SUBMIT_TIME • PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME I up'd the logging on server to max and I see no errors. The time between events 1206 & 1207 for "Cleanup of items pa...

Error Handling not working properly
I have the following code to load into db when the button is clicked after loading it show the successful completion message box. I have composite key so if some one tries to upload again ot should fail with error message. In my case it show the Err desciption but again it shows the successful msgbox again. Can you dedug please? Thanks Private Sub cmd_load2010_new_Click() Dim stDocName As String On Error GoTo violation_err stDocName = "Insert_RESULTS_into_2010_RRT" DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit MsgBox "Upload complet...

SHRINK TO FIT doesn't work properly
The subject above says it all: Since switching to Excel 2003, text that USED to be displayed correctly (via the 'shrink to fit' in cell formatting)now doesn't appear to get shrunk at all. Rather, it bleeds over into the next column. Duuno how it got broken, but it would sure be nice if it could be fixed! Did you try re-formatting the selection? Sometimes that will fix the conversion problem. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ As a matter of fact, YES, SEVERAL times. This is VERY peculiar behavior. The columns on either side of it are formatted as number...

set up recurring (15-min) reminders
Our library director wants our librarians to get up from the reference desk every 15 minute and walk around asking patrons if they want help. We want the ability to turn an Outlook reminder on or off every day, depending on whether the librarian is on the public service desk or not. -- ChrisC "ChrisC" <ChrisC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF91C6BD-0D1E-47BC-B2E7-9DAA1F25AB06@microsoft.com... > Our library director wants our librarians to get up from the reference desk > every 15 minute and walk around asking patrons if they want help. W...