Neil MSVP can you please have a look at this one?

Hello,

I have been having trouble with a new machine I just built Win XP Pro
SP3 with all the updates except those for WMP 11.At one point I had
WMP 11 installed and of course that did the same thing as 10 so I
reverted back to version 10. I have also tried to reinstall WMP10 over
itself but I can't do it.

When I try and play an audio CD or video DVD using either of the two
drives I have, the sound is horrible! It sounds like a needle skipping
across a record or it's all choppy sounding. You CAN hear the real
audio in the background however.

If I play an mp3 file on WMP 10 it plays fine. Winamp will play the
same CD just fine audio is great.

I ran a program called Gspot to look at the codecs to see if any were
missing.When I dropped the audio .cda file in Gspot it gave me this
message:
"Direct show rendering failed error number 0x80040265.

 Maybe dropping the .cda file on Gspot gives an odd reading because it
called it a "riff" file and the rendering error as above. It showed
147 codecs on the machine.... geesh you'd think one would be the
correct one!

I searched for that number and one page advised running the dxdiag
program from the RUN command so I did that. When it came time to hear
the audio, I could hear all the samples BUT the very highest pitched
one, that was all scratchy sounding.

It complained that the driver for my old PCI Audigy soundcard wasn't
WHQL approved. Well there isn't one that is, when I go to Creative's
page and get the driver they say should work it won't install. Saying
" can't find a compatible sound card."

I used this exact same card and driver with XP on my old machine with
WMP and it never gave me any trouble at all. WMP played everything I
threw at it too!

Yes I am aware of VLC player and of course Winamp. But now it's a
QUEST! I am determined to find the trouble even if I never run WMP
again~LOL.

But it's obvious this thing has me stumped, I have used all the tricks
I know and I can't seem to get it to work properly. I will say that
occasionally, you can't tell when, WMP will play the CD OK. But.....
when you go back to it you get that jittery choppy sound. Why it works
at times is a mystery to me.

It was suggested that I install FFDSHOW but then I read if I
re-install Nero, the splitters Nero uses won't play nice with FFDSHOW.

As an aside, I believe that I noticed the same choppy audio in Nero
Showtime, I could see the video but the audio sounded the same as in
WMP10. Then for no reason Showtime stopped running and would lock my
machine..So I used the Nero clean up removal program to take it out.
Of course there are tons of registry entries that still point to Nero.
I should have used REVO to remove Nero as it cleans the registry at
least to some degree.

Thank you in advance, I really don't want to format again..........
it's been only about 10 days since I did that on this new machine. I
know that would fix ti but there must be a better way.

Accomac

0
Accomac

Hi, I think you may have tried to cover too much ground, although some
of the troubleshooting with DXDIAG is worthwhile.

ZachD has lots of hints on this here
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#dsound

I'd consider finding the hardware acceleration setting for the sound
card as he states, as well as turning off the Enhancements as he
mentions above.

That should only apply to Vista but it can't do any harm to try it.

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:14:30 -0500, Accomac <noone@home.cc> wrote:

> [...]
>at times is a mystery to me.
>
>It was suggested that I install FFDSHOW but then I read if I
>re-install Nero, the splitters Nero uses won't play nice with FFDSHOW.
>
>As an aside, I believe that I noticed the same choppy audio in Nero
>Showtime, I could see the video but the audio sounded the same as in
>WMP10. Then for no reason Showtime stopped running and would lock my
>machine..So I used the Nero clean up removal program to take it out.
>Of course there are tons of registry entries that still point to Nero.
>I should have used REVO to remove Nero as it cleans the registry at
>least to some degree.
>
>Thank you in advance, I really don't want to format again..........
>it's been only about 10 days since I did that on this new machine. I
>know that would fix ti but there must be a better way.

Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

Some OWA users cant login but some can
We upgraded to Exchange 2003 from 5.5 and rolled out OWA. Some of the users can access the OWA system, But some cant. What should I check? Are the mailboxes all on 2003 yet? Are you still in mixed mode? How long ago did you migrate the mailboxes? I've experienced a similar situation where I needed to wait for either SRS or the ADC to replicate information for migrated mailbox before OWA could be used. This took up to an hour sometimes. Also, did you check the permissions of the user account to make sure they have access to OWA? I am having the same issue. It has been 3 weeks f...

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

VBA Worksheet Event Change or Selection Question, please assist me
Two fantastic people were kind enough to provide me these two codes below, and now I'm trying to see if I can expand it to include other columns and data in a worksheet. Code 1: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim myC As Range If Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents =3D False For Each myC In Intersect(Target, Range("P:P")) Range("Q" & myC.Row).Value =3D Date - Target.Value Next myC Application.EnableEvents =3D True End Sub Code 2: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Tar...

merging 3 spreadsheets into one based upon a single common data field
OK I hope you guys can help me out. Here is the scenario. I have 3 spreadsheets. The main spreadsheet I working with has 500 lines with a unique number string. The next two spreadsheets have about 12000 lines but also contain the same unique string as the first spreadsheet. I want to search the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet using the first spreadsheets unique id number and then take the information from the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet and then merge it into the first. Does that make since? Any help would be great. -- xchosen --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Routing Engine not starting, please help ASAP
Exchange and Windows 2003 I cannot get the Exchange Routing engine to start up. Upon startup I get an event ID 7023 telling me that the path is not found. Everything else works and starts up just fine, people can open mailboxes, but cannot send/receive emails. I read online that it sounds like the metabase.bin file is corrupted. I uninstalled/reinstalled IIS, reinstalled Exchange 2003, and have reinstalled Exchange 2003 SP1, everything works except that I still cannot get the routing engine to kick back on. Any suggestions! Thanks! Was this an OEM preinstall? I recently bought a ser...

Can't Change Text direction in office 2007
Hi, i have installed office 2007 ( Pro Plus Edition) on a machine. i have faced a strange thing that i have never seen. the option of changing text direction from right to left or left to right does not exist. it come by default with ltr direction. What's the Problem ? Hi, You need to enable a right-to-left language, such as Hebrew or Arabic. To do this, perform the following steps: 1. Close Word. 2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings. 3. In the "Available...

How can I put a text box in every cell?
Two questions: -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to insert on manually every time? AND - How can I make sure that a text box inserts itself automatically into a new row whenever I add a row? Thanks! One way is to select the row with the text box and copy it to the next row. Copy and paste it several times and then select the rows and paste them as a group. "bmowell" wrote: > Two questions: > > -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to > insert on manually every time? &g...

moving large amounts of data from one db to another
I have a table that has millions of rows of data in it, which then references another table with millions of referenced (matching by foreign key constraints)... I need to move this data from database A to a new database B, is there any way to do this and preserve the identity columns and their referential integrity?) Thanks! You can't have integrated RI across databases so that part is out. But you can certainly insert and keep the identities. Take a look at SET IDENTITY INSERT in BOL. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Smokey Grindel"...

illegal name? [noobie, please be gentle]
re: xl2k I am attempting to name a column as "fy2007" xl refuses to accept this. Why? Note that "fy2007" appears to satisfy all the naming guidelines, as listed in the help file. Also note, "fy_2007" is acceptable. cheers, jw FY2007 looks like a cell in column FY in row 2007. You could name it FY_2007 or _FY2007 Or most anything that doesn't look like an address. mr_unreliable wrote: > > re: xl2k > > I am attempting to name a column as "fy2007" > > xl refuses to accept this. Why? > > Note that "fy2007"...

Office Outlook
Hi, my office outlook is not working properly, error message : "the procedure entry point GETiums could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL " . what should I do?? pls advise. Thanks. Download and install the latest version of MDAC from Microsoft. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C814B57-C82D-4066-8586-7CFDA8750D55@microsoft.com... > Hi...

Can not empty clipboard #2
I have started getting a strange message in several of my MAC Office products including Word and Excel that says Can Not Empty Clipboard. I also can not copy and paste in any program including Safari. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks harper6702 Reboot and then run Disk Utility Repair Permissions. The clipboard is a file. I suspect it has overflowed or become corrupted. The reboot may take a long time: during a reboot, Unix cleans out its temporary files, and that may fix the issue... If it doesn't, I have no idea :-) On 16/11/06 2:17 PM, in article 1163647035.202984.70550@m73g2...

Can't save new contacts in Outlook 2007
When I try to save new contacts in Outlook 2007, I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." It's been suggested that I clear the forms cache but cannot find how to do that in 2007 (recommended link was for 2003 version). Can anyone help with that or is there another possible solution? P.S. I am working off line in Outlook, if that matters. Also, I can revise and save revisions to existing contacts with no problem. HJ Why are you starting a new thread? Suggest following the recommendations in ...

Help with an expression to calculate a profit from one of three fi
Using Access 2003 SP3 - in Forms I know I'm probably asking a very complex question, so a very big THANK YOU to whomever can help. I am doing a detailed inventory and need help with an expression in my form that will calculate my profit based on one of three fields. Only one field would have the end data. To clarify what I am working with: Most stock items come by the "unit" and contain multiple "subunits" which, in turn, contain smaller "pieces." However, some "units" only come with "subunits" and some only come as &quo...

How can be detected if an Outlook profile is corrupted ?
Hi, I would like to verify in a program if an Outlook profile is valid or not ( is not corrupted ). Is there a method to do this ? Thanks Valid or corrupted are different things. Valid; account exists Corrupted; errors in mail profile Valid; Test Account button in Account Setup Corrupted; not possible as it can be many many things, you'll know when working with it -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "kistvan" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in mess...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

can not save or view attachments
I can seem to be able to save or view attachments the reason is that it greyed out what do i do to ungrey it?? Thanks See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm to learn how to get the attachments off. One popular method is Attachment Options from www.slovaktech.com For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm If you use OE, hit Forward on a message and open or save the attachment, then close the message. Or disable it using tools | options | security. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 i...

Can I calculate a field with 2 different filter criteria in one q
Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics fields, I'd like to sum metric "a" based on customer name being like "abc" and another sum of metric "a" where the customer name is NOT LIKE "abc" in one query, but I can't seem to figure this out, but, I'm a novice at this. Best I can figure is 2 different queries, then a 3rd query to bring the two together. Thanks -- Jim jimd wrote: >Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics >fields, I'd like to sum metric &...

How can i print 1 page only??
We have Microsoft Outlook 2002. If an e-mail initially generated by us becomes very long owing to back and forth replies we would like to print only the first page containing the latest reply. However, the only option we are given is to print 'all/even/odd' pages. Some mails we receive which are not initially generated by us however give us the option of which page to print. It is this type of print option we would like to have for all e-mails! its driving us up the wall, there must be a simple way to do it but we just cant find out how! HELP! --------------------------------...

how can I split one cell's data into two cells?
I am using Excel as a database, and have a column with cells with a person's name (text) in it...e.g., John Smith. NOW, after the fact, I wish to have a column with just John in it, and another column with just Smith...but I have NO idea how to do this! Help would be appreciated. Thank you. Please refrain from multiposting, you have answers in one of the 4! newsgroups you posted the same question in. Multiposting is frowned upon and even the MS web interface states so -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It ...

Can't send attachments #3
Whenever I try to send any attachment, Outlook 2003 won't finish the send 'task'. There are no other programs running that would restrict this. Messages without Attachments send OK though. How can I fix this? ...

Money 2005 (UK) on Vista
Hi All, Has anyone else had any problems importing OFX files from HSBC into Money 2005 (UK) running on Windows Vista Beta 2? I've run Money as Administrator to update it, and I've tried importing as both the Administrator and normal user. No joy! It seems to think the file is to blame, but I'm not too sure! Any ideas? Sorry if it's been answered recently, I couldn't find this exact problem. Jules Have you tried running the OFX analyzer on the OFX, to check it is valid, and do you have the 1105 update (look at help and check the version number). -- Glyn Simpso...

Look up table?
I am sure this is simple, but I dont know how to achieve it I have 2 drop down lists the produce values 1-3 each and a table A B C 1 500 550 600 2 450 500 550 3 400 450 500 How do I get the value at the intersection of the row/coloum, so if the drop downs come up with 1 & b the answer should be $550 Thanks >I have 2 drop down lists the produce values 1-3 each >if the drop downs come up with 1 & b If both drop downs have selections of 1,2 3 then how can the drop down...

Looking for FAX software FREE TRIAL
Hi... This is slightly off the NEWS topic, but I have spent 4 days searching this. I desperately need to fax something and have no options. I had fax stuff on my PC, but that PC is gone. I have an iMAC OS 9.2.2 and a good Epson scanner... but no fax software for this computer. is there any FREE TRIAL software for my system that is FULLY FUNCTIONAL TO TRY ? Please help as soon as you can... Thanks in advance, Kimi You'd be best off searching the web via google or somesuch, though someone may come along with a suggestion. Try different combinations of varying phrases, here's ...

Merging three publisher documents into one
How do I merge three Publisher documents into one master document? All three are in the same format. Copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "jo" <jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91582EF0-7004-4BF3-9F40-1B82AE85C1BC@microsoft.com... > How do I merge three Publisher documents into one master document? All > three > are in the same format. ...