DVD decoder not installed....

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?
thanks,
Lara

  Most require a fee for use.If you have an ATI video card,they have a free
 download decoder,nvidia charges for it.You can get DVD decoder software
 from WM list at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx
 Or try downloads.com for a free temp. one.

"no.1nailgirl" wrote:

> Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
> not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
> daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
> decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?
> thanks,
> Lara
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 18:49:01 -0800, no.1nailgirl
<no.1nailgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
>not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
>daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
>decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?

Vista home premuim and ultimate came with DVD decoders as part of the
purchase price, but not Home Basic or any version of XP other than
media center edition.

You can get a 21 or 30 day trial version from NVidia or Elecard, both
of which are known to work well with media player 11 :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html
http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/mpeg2-plugin-wmp/
(Elecard link seems down at 6:40PM 27 Dec)

After the trial expires, you'd need to purchase one of those or you'd
lose DVD video on playback.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

Installing Office Mac 2004
I've tried installing Office Mac 2004 onto a new computer and when I try to open any of the Office applications I get an "Upgrade Verification" box saying, "This software is an upgrade to an earlier version of the software. To continue installation, click Browse, and then select the folder that contains the earlier version of the software (Microsoft Office 2001 folder, for example). The folder can be located on either your computer or the CD-ROM from which you originally installed the earlier version of the software." Again, this is a brand new iMac, so there shou...

Problem with installing Office information bridge Framework for MS
I have already sucessfully installed Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework Server 1.0 (server component) and Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework Client 1.5 (client component)(1.0 is not avaliable any more), and Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM server components. But when I install Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM client components, there is an error message as follows: SamrtTagRegistration.exe Application has been genenrated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0xa24(2596), Thread id=0x164(356) Error 28000 Did anybody see th...

Installation Problems SQL 2005
I keep getting the following Error when installling CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition "Service mssearch was not found on computer 'SERVER1'. The specified service does not exist as an installed service" I have the Microsoft Full-Text Engine for SQL Server Service Installed and running. Can anyone help? Are you runndng your domain on a Windows Small Business Server? -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "jl815" wrote: > I keep getting the following Error when installling CRM 3.0 Small Business > Edition "Service mssearch was not found on com...

Windows installer problem 04-08-10
Hi All, After login to windows xp, on screen displayed windows installer and nothing showing on screen .Any reply will be appreciated. Best regards Anji Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Was the computer fully patched at Windows Update when this problem started? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another)...

How can I stop Outlook downloading fonts from incoming messages and use only those installed?
When I receive a message in Outlook with a font I don't have installed it takes a while whilst Outlook downloads the font. Can I switch off this feature so that the only fonts that show are those that are already installed. Peter <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote: > When I receive a message in Outlook with a font I don't have installed > it takes a while whilst Outlook downloads the font. Can I switch off > this feature so that the only fonts that show are those that are > already installed. You don't state your version of Outlook, but with Out...

New install of Great Plains v8.0
Hi I have just installed a version 8 of great plains however the utilities application is not accepting the sa password for MSSQL 2000. The password is valid. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks What message are you seeing? Did you setup a DSN to connect to the Great Plains SQL server? "Jitu" wrote: > Hi > > I have just installed a version 8 of great plains however the utilities > application is not accepting the sa password for MSSQL 2000. The password > is valid. > > Does anyone know how to fix this? > > Thanks > > > s...

After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have h
After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have happen in registry? Because I need to read the value of registry ,please tell me all the changes in registry. I appreciate your help. -- jake After you install "a piece of software" in Windows, some number of registry keys, dependent entirely on whatever the person writing the installation decided should be modified, have been modified. In addition, once you run it, some other keys, defined by the person who coded it, and based on whatever actions the user has taken, will be changed. Each piece of software is ...

Re-install
I am running Office 2003 Standard. Outlook was crashing on startup so I uninstalled it using the CD. When trying to reinstall the process gives an error message that it cannot find the file PCW_CAB_PATCH and will not proceed. There is no option to enter a location for that file. The file is not on the CD nor is it on my computer. Does anybody know what this means Thanks ...

Installing Problem SQL SP3a
Hello NG, If got a new W2K3-Server with installed AD and SQL2000 with SP3a. The machine works properly. On installing CRM1.2 the following error occurs: 'The specified SQL-Server must be running Microsoft SQL-Server version 2000 SP3 or later.' Please help me. Thanks, Andreas. ...

No Reports in CRM 3.0 Install
Hi everyone, I have been working on installing CRM 3.0 (fresh install) on a Small Business Server and I have been having trouble getting the reporting services to work correctly. I have been able to get the reports section to pull up now but no reports are listed in the grid. All the other functions appear to be working and I can even start to add reports but it puzzles me. Doesn't Microsoft provide sample reports to begin with? Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how do I get the reports to show up? Surely they gave us standard reports with the program?!?!?! Thanks! on ...

Error installing CRM 3
Trying to install CRM on a development server that has just been rebuilt after disk failure and the install runs through until it attempts to grant permissions on the newly created databases. The CRM install is all on this machine i.e. webserver and sql server are the same box. The error message reads Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.GrantDatabaseAccessAction failed. Setup could not complete this action. This might be due to the fact that there are multiple Domain Controllers and they have not replicated nw Microsoft CRM information yet. If this is the case you have several options: ...

Outlook will not launch after installing latest MS patch
I'm running Windows XP Pro. Received MS Auto update notification to install lastest security upgrades which I do religiously and did this time. Rebooted, clicked on outlook 2002 icon, got "hourglass" for a few seconds then nothing. Outlook did not launch. Rebooted - same thing. Any ideas would be greatly apreciated! Thanks! Does Outlook start in safe mode? (outlook.exe /safe) if the answer is yes, try renaming the file named outcmd.dat. "topcorner" <topcorner@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:031201c369d7$69a67e70$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I'm runn...

exchange 2007 installation error
Hi to u all, When I install exchange 2007, I receive the following error from the GUI installation: ****start of message*********************** Summary: 4 items. 3 succeeded, 1 failed. Elapsed time: 01:05:56 Copy Exchange Files Completed Elapsed Time: 00:13:08 Hub Transport Role Completed Elapsed Time: 00:12:49 Client Access Role Completed Elapsed Time: 00:13:41 Mailbox Role Failed Error: An error occurred. error code was 3238230409 message was An internal component is not responding.." ******end of message*************** The tree steps about the schema domain completed secc...

Agent Install on EBS 2008 Failing
I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 appliance) and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized. However, I followed the technet article here to setup things: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers and get them to talk to DPM. I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent. The agents appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, but cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server. They show in Err...

Will my Office XP install on Windows 7?
I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. Will Office XP install on Windows 7? Yes it will, but Outlook will not retain account passwwords Office 2003 and later is fully compatible "glouces" <glouces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8699F413-1E85-4CC3-BD05-856A8ECC578B@microsoft.com... >I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. > Will Office XP install on Windows 7? ...

Non-Plug&Play driver installation
Hello there, I have a device which is not plug-&-play, but more a virtual hardware. I can install it using the Device-Manager --> Add legacy hardware, but I want to install it programmatically, eg. the use of the function SetupCopyOEMInf for plug-&-play devices. can anybody help me with this? Thanks in advance KW Is it a root enumerated device? If so, devcon is a good start (source and binaries in the WDK), the "install" switch will create a new root enumerated device and register your INF: devcon install myinf.inf ROOT\MadeUpHardwareId -scot...

Re-Install Money 2005
I installed Money 2005 Deluxe on my PC (via download); now I want to install it on my laptop; how I can download file again? ...

old rules showing up after clean install
My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just want to uninstall office and reinstall so that my computer thinks it has never had it before, in the hope i can fix whatever is wrong with my rules. Is there another step to perform after uninstalling to completely rid any "memory" of having it installed previously? Thanks. Cut Cut <ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote: > My old rules are still showing up after i uninstall and reinsall > office xp. There seems to be a problem with them and i just...

Drag and drop install
Hi, I am awaiting delivery of an ibook and office 2004 and am trying to familiarise myself with the mac way of doing things could you tell me a little about drag and drop install of office. Thanks steveh <steveh@private.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > I am awaiting delivery of an ibook and office 2004 and am trying to > familiarise myself with the mac way of doing things could you tell me a > little about drag and drop install of office. Drag and drop is usually fine. It installs a complete install by default. I tend to use the installer though since I know it won;t p...

Installation Problem
I am installing CRM on a SBS 2003 system. I have been careful, so am surprised to have the following problem. I am at "Add a License Key" on page 139 of Implementation Guide. When starting the Deployment manager, I get "Snap- in failed to initalize". Any ideas?? The only part of the installation so far that might have tricked me was the adding of members to the Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access Group (page 138). I could not add the server name (MMSBSSERVER) or "localsystem", so I added "Local Service" as a member. Ken; usually when you get ...

Installation of Office 2004 on OS X 10.5 Leopard
I installed Office 2004 (and EndNote) after upgrading to Leopard 10.5 and something is amiss. Three (probably related) symptoms I observed: 1. After the install, when opening Word, I'm greeted with the prompt: "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library." 2. When trying to update Office 2004 via Microsoft AutoUpdate, the application recognizes any out-of-date versions, but then hangs and doesn't download anything (requires a force quit). Also hangs if running updates that were manually downloaded from Microsoft's website. (even o...

Office 2007 Home & Student Re-Installation Activation Key challeng
I'm having an issue with my father's copy of MS-Office Home & Student 2007. He recently had to reformat his laptop, which cleared his original installation of the software. Now, after I've reloaded the Office Suite onto his computer and move to launch any of the applications, I'm prompted for the Activation Key. I have all the orignal packaging, including the certificate of authenticity. Unfortunately, none of the numbers on the packaging can be entered into the activation key field. There is lots of detail around finding alternative MSFT phone support to ...

I can't install the 12.2.1 update on Snow Leopard
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Office 2008 12.2.1 Update can't be installed on this disk. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume. I guarantee a legitimate copy of Office 2008 for Mac is on my iMac. Any suggestions? On 9/30/09 3:43 PM, in article 59b7d9fc.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "kpainte1@officeformac.com" <kpainte1@officeformac.com> wrote: > Office 2008 12.2.1 Update can't be installed on this disk. A version of the > software required to install this update was n...

Conflict wih Database Language Version 1.2.0151 when installing RM
Has anyone found a solution when facing a "Version Mismatch: This application requires language database 1.08 and the language database file you are using is version 1.2.0151..." I am installing RMS on a HP Win XP Media Center. I did not face this issue when installing it on a Sony Win XP Media Center. Tried looking in the "Add/Remove Software" but can't find an update to uninstall in order to fall back to the previous version. Any suggestions and / or known solution will be highly appreciated. Thanks! Are you installing this for a live database ? The current ...

Starting IE 6 prompts for publisher 2003 install
Whenever I start IE 6 I get prompted to configure and then install Microsoft Publisher 2003. It fails because the install cd is not available. Is there a way to stop IE from prompting for this while I figure this out, short of uninstalling publisher. I've tried 1- repairing the publisher install (fails because I don't have the cd) 2- making the ie default editor notepad 3- reseting IE to its defaults 4- using regmon to see if there is a key I can alter (results are overwhelming) Any ideas on how to sever this connection between the 2 apps IE 6 and publisher 2003? ...