Brightness control stopped working Media Player 11

I use XP Pro.
After I uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2007,  the brightness
(contrast and hue) settings slider will not work.
When I try to adjust the brightness, it just springs back to the centre.
As I inevitably have to lighten every video, I really need the brightness
control to work.
Can you help me please?

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 05:33:01 -0700, Laurence
<Laurence@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I use XP Pro.
>After I uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2007,  the brightness
>(contrast and hue) settings slider will not work.

I;m not aware of a connection between media player 11 and office
2003/2007. Perhaps it's coincidence....

>When I try to adjust the brightness, it just springs back to the centre.

Not all video files are able to tell media player the info it needs to
adjust brightness etc. DVD video can often be adjusted, as can WMV
video files - other video/file formats (like DivX AVI or MPEG4) are
very hit and miss.

>As I inevitably have to lighten every video, I really need the brightness
>control to work.
>Can you help me please?

One option might be to look at the video card (display) advanced
settings. In many modern video cards, there are options for Gamma
(similar to brightness) and ways to adjust *just* video / overlay
playback for brightness, without affecting the desktop.

Another option might be to check your monitor's settings menu. Many
monitors offer several presets with different predefined or
user-settable brightness and contrast settings.

You could reasonably fullscreen the video, switch the monitor to one
of those and back again at the end of the movie.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

So my IMF stopped working
I'm using exchange 2003 sp2 on SBS 2003, and the imf was chugging along happily for a while. Then it stopped. I don't know what changed at that time, but I later enabled SCL exposure in outlook and found out that no SCL was attached to messages any more. I went through and disabled, reenabled, and restarted on both the message delivery and smtp virtual server properties. But I still get no SCL apparent on messages. Any suggestions? Any errors in the error log? Was it updated recently using Automatic Updates/Microsoft Update? Are you using a custom weighting file? -- Bh...

How to filter lower case characters in an edit control?
Hi to all, I created a class that enherits from CEdit and overrode its OnChar() message handler to intercept the entered keys and filter only those that are lower case. It also verifies if an entered key is upper case to convert it to lower case and filter it. Everything works good except the conversion from upper to lower case. The problem is that even if the OnChar() handler does convert the character to lower case, the character is still displayed in the edit box as it was entered, i.e. in upper case. Please note that if I remove the line: "nChar = tolower(nChar);", the u...

genre will not transfer correctly to mp3 player
I have wmp 11 and a 8GB sansa fuze mp3. Once I change the genre in wmp to let's say from soul/r&b to r&b, it will not change the genre on my sansa. I've tried and tried. Contacted San Disk for help and they said it was a media player issue. The genre will stay correctly in wmp but won't transfer correctly. Someone help! On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:52:01 -0800, Mitziepoo <Mitziepoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have wmp 11 and a 8GB sansa fuze mp3. >Once I change the genre in wmp to let's say from soul/r&b to r&b, it will >not c...

Some media files skip my Video DSP plugin
I created my video dsp plugin by visual studio 2005 and MS SDK 6.1. For more codec support I also installed K-Lite codec pack. The plugin worked fine for media files encoded in divx/xvid, but when playing WMVs, WMP didn't call any of my plugin functions. I tried to create another plugin in dual mode but result was the same. Please help... Thanks. On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:40:01 -0800, CCLin <CCLin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I created my video dsp plugin by visual studio 2005 and MS SDK 6.1. >For more codec support I also installed K-Lite codec pack. >...

Upgraded to Outlook 2003 but rules is not working
Hi, We have recently upgraded our outlook emails to Outlook 2003. All the rules I had before was gone and did a new set of rules. My problem is, it's not doing what it suppose to do automatic when email arrives, I have to manually run the rules like moving a certain email to another folder when email arrives from a particular email. Is there a way I can get the automatic run rules back from our old outlook? Thanks in advance, Jay ...

Control key 'dis-abled' for Ctrl+Shift+arrow
Hi, i've been using Ctrl+Shift+arrow (right/left/up/down) to select a continued-column(s)/row(s) for edit/paste/copy consistently. However, recently, i found that this combination of shortcut does not work anymore. The Ctrl key is still working fine on its own and similarly the shift key and the respective arrow-keys or combination of these 2. Is there some setting somewhere in excel (or in other applications) that are now conflicting with this keyboard shortcut combination ? Appreciate if someone could help me out. I recall experiencing this before and at that time it had some...

How would I set up a machine work log, to keep track of repair?

Workflow to perform actions when task created not working
I have some workflows that create task activity assignments for new clients (Accounts). the workflow rule is 'manual' and works just fine. The issue is that I had to create an additional workflow rule for 'task' entity, so that when a task is created, the system can check the subject, and then update a custom picklist field with a certain value from the list. The 'manual' workflow creates the task activities, but the 'create' workflow rule for tasks is not even launching. No action takes place. Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening. I am...

My Money Side will not stop
I read the FAQ for Money 2002 and it stated A) Click Help in MoneySide, then Settings. Under "Open MoneySide" select "Never" and then "Done." I select "Never" but there is no "Done" I can find and My Money leaves for this time only to return again. Is there any way to kill money from running in the background. It is not running in MSCONFIG on my XP sp2 system that I can find. Thanks Don I wish I had a way to test this here to tell you how to do it and validate the FAQ. Hopefully somebody who can still test on M02 will join the thread....

Control Panel/ComCtl/Vista
have a C++ control panel applet which embeds a manifest to use the comctl v6.0 to use the new XP style common controls. When I take the same application and use it on vista, everything is fine except that I do not get the new common controls style. It appears I need to do something different on vista. I am doing what is suggested in the following MSDN article to enable the new visual style for control panel applet (http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649781.aspx#control_panel). Thanks. ...

Open Office and Microsoft Works
How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office instead of Microsoft Works' when trying to open an XLS file? As it stands the latter automatically opens it. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and IE 8. The reason: the file doesn't open properly as is, IOW a calendar shows up in sections of four and incomplete as such. TIA, Harry. "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OU2jlY#lKHA.4148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office > instead of Mic...

Rules don't work with IMAP correctly
I have a number of rules defined to simply check incoming mail for a specific someone in the To list and to move it one of my local folders. The rules work fine as long as Outlook is up and running when the mail arrives. However, when I start Outlook and it updates the cache with all the new mail that has come in since it was last running, instead of moving the messages it only copies them. The net result is the message gets left in the inbox, but there is also a copy in the target folder. I am using Outlook 2002 with IMAP. Thanks. ...

controlling plot area
Excel 2003 I have several charts on a dedicated chart sheet, each with the same number of bars of graphed data. I want to adjust the plot area to a particular size within the chart area for each chart. I have used the "Selection.Height" and the other associated "selections" with some success, but the plot areas still seem to reset themselves a bit. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated and my thanks in advance. Brad The plot areas resize based on the font size, the length of the labels, the wind speed and direction, and various other uncontrollabl...

Custom Controls 04-27-04
I am looking for a set of custom controls that exhibit similar behaivour to existing MSCRM controls. We are going to develop an add-on; it will have a set of pages that will extend the functionality. Any pointers would be appreciated. I seem to remember Gary on this group mentioning he had developed a set of controls. You might want to contact him. "D Bolak" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BA4CB4C-836F-4AA7-AAAA-C5ADA7C9CAA7@microsoft.com... > I am looking for a set of custom controls that exhibit similar behaivour to existing MSCRM controls. ...

remember password not working
i have windows xp, when i use outlook express and i check remember password it does not take i always have to retype password to send and recieve my e-mail's DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX There have been several issues with passwords not being retained with Outlook. For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (note, this article is written for OE but the solution applies to Outlook as well.): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264672 -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "dirtydog" <slugger22@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:04e401c34da5$b3dd6740$a401280a@phx.gbl...

windows update 03-11-10
do i need to keep all those updates on my PC ie... the updates that have been installed over a year ago? "timbo" <timbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BA5D186-44CD-4E17-B6E0-13385C151E1C@microsoft.com... > do i need to keep all those updates on my PC ie... the updates that have > been installed over a year ago? Why does this cause you concern ? -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." timbo wrote: > do i need to keep all those updates on my PC ie... the up...

Is this a bug of VC6? Why dependency works in this way?
I have a project B which depends on another DLL project A. But I use an environment variable $(ACE_ROOT) in the configuration of Output files. But when build project B, VC6 will use the following rule to generate the path of A.lib: Dir of Project A + Output Files configuration in Project A It will always get a wrong path such as: "\STUDY\CORBA\Project\LibTest\lib\$(ACE_ROOT)\lib\lib.lib" Although VC6 may warn about using env variable in Project Settings, actually, it's safe to use env variable in other configuration item. Why VC6 doesn't use a normal search algorithm to find ...

Links not working #3
The links in my email are not working, not opening a browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, What version of Outlook? "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b8a01c3f98a$e280c9c0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > The links in my email are not working, not opening a > browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, Hi, Check the following link : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;177054 This applies for both Outlook and Outlook Express. Hope this helps !!! Regards, Sudharson.AN "Richard" <an...

Outlook archiving and importing quit working
I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of folders manually and out of the blue for no reason, it quit working. Now I can't import any of my .pst files back into my mail. Please help?!! What version of Outlook are you using and what is the size(s) of your *.PST files? The reason that I ask is that PST files have size and item count limits. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a3a201c48784$365a0ac0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of > folders manually and out of the blue for no ...

converting works data files to excel with original formats
How can I convert data files from Works 8 to Office & Student 2007 ...

Tab control problems
I am creating a form that has a tab control on it with 2 tabs, one for packing information, the other for nutritional information. I have both sets of data in the same table because the target program that I am working with can only look at a single table. Anyway, I have most of the fields in place on the form on the tabs that they should be on, but now, when I add fields to the form, they appear in the same place on BOTH tabs. When I try to delete that field from the tab it isnt supposed to be on, the field is completely deleted from the form. What is causing this to happen? I am p...

I want to make a VBScript to control Windows Media Player
Hi all, I'm able to control WMP through the shell but I think is not the cleanest solution. Can anybody help me on how to make the VBScript to use the WMP Activex or COM automation? I've found some reference about Player object and WMPLib but so far I've been getting compile or run time errors. the actions I want to do are: 1. Open the file I want to play 2. Start play 3. wait 10 seconds. 4. Pause/Stop play 5. wait 10 seconds. 6. return to step no. 2. I would appreciate your help very much. Regards. -- God grants us all at the cost of effort. Il giorno Wed,...

TRACE macro not working.
Hi - I am very new to Visual C++ and MFC, so please bear with me. I am using VStudio.NET 2002, and am learning how to write Windows programs with C++, having had a lot of VB experience. I am having problems getting my CView derivation to show graphics functions, and I have been putting TRACE statements in the code to see what's going on. I know they must be executed because MessageBox() appears on cue. I am using the Debug configuration, and as far as I know I haven't changed any defaults. However, nothing is appearing in the Output Window. Any ideas? Thanks, -- Mark Bertensha...

Office X to Office 11.1.0 upgrade problem
I have just upgraded to Office X 10.1.6 and wanted to go on to Office 11.1.0. When I try and load Office 11.1.0 it tells me I cannot do this - any ideas?? Phil The upgrade from Office v.X to Office 2004 (v.11) is *not* free. You will have to buy Office 2004 (since you already have Office v.X, you can get the upgrade, which is considerably cheaper than the regular edition) before you can update it to v.11.1. Michel On 27.03.05 11:22, in article 1111915374.297355.21880@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "PhilT" <phil@thethirdstage.com> wrote: > I have just upgraded to Office...

M04 stopped updating--implications?
I am using Money 2004 Deluxe and it has stopped updating (the Money Updates, not prices or financial institution downloads, which appear to be working). I noticed that others have had this problem. I am not sure if it is fixable by uninstalling and reinstalling, as the other posts aren't clear if this works. Assuming that it doesn't; that is, that MS has decided not to support M04 anymore (trying to get us to buy M06, I suppose), the only implication that I can think of is that the tax table info will not update "automatically." Rather we will have to enter any new ...