Finger Friendly Theme for Wince 6.0

Hi,

I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have to
support "FINGER" based touch.
My questions are,
1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
buttons....)
2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch pad?

Indika

No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any way
to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a 1"
VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!  It's
up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and set up
the OS to do the right thing.

The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way and
return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel needs
to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that shows
you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for the
panel which does that.

Paul T.

"Indika Ushan" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have to
> support "FINGER" based touch.
> My questions are,
> 1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
> buttons....)
> 2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch pad?
>
> Indika
Don't know if this has to do something with the question, anyway:
http://www.oisv.com/press/1366

--
Luca Calligaris (MVP-Windows Embedded)
l.calligaris.nospam@eurotech.it.nospam

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <paultobey _at_ earthlink _dot_ net> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:F2775061-8C34-4BAF-BDAD-E704C657C5E1@microsoft.com...
> No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
> displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any
> way
> to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a
> 1"
> VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
> other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!
> It's
> up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and set
> up
> the OS to do the right thing.
>
> The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way
> and
> return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
> actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
> assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel
> needs
> to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that
> shows
> you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for
> the
> panel which does that.
>
> Paul T.
>
> "Indika Ushan" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have to
>> support "FINGER" based touch.
>> My questions are,
>> 1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
>> buttons....)
>> 2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch
>> pad?
>>
>> Indika

0
Luca
12/11/2009 4:30:30 PM
Hi Paul,

I got to know that wince 6.0 (R3) supports single touch gesture recognition.
I have implemeted the finger friendly touch driver for my hardware.

Is there any way (standerd method) to implemet a touch friendly UI theme if
it is not incorporated in OS image

Indika

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

> No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
> displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any way
> to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a 1"
> VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
> other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!  It's
> up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and set up
> the OS to do the right thing.
>
> The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way and
> return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
> actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
> assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel needs
> to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that shows
> you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for the
> panel which does that.
>
> Paul T.
>
> "Indika Ushan" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have to
> > support "FINGER" based touch.
> > My questions are,
> > 1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
> > buttons....)
> > 2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch pad?
> >
> > Indika
As Paul is stating, it all pretty much depends upon your screen size and
it's resolution.
Is the user suposed to manipulate the OS on the kiosk?
If the user interacts with an application, you can make it's buttons as big
as you want yourself.
Wince does not support multiple touch in it's OS. I don't know it that's
even possible with a 5 wire touchscreen.
You maybe will need a bit of filtering in your touch driver, so that even if
the touch coordinates fluctuate a little, the driver will sent the same
touch position to the OS.
Besides that, I don't see much difference between a finger touch and a pen
touch.

"Indika Ushan" <IndikaUshan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Paul,
>
> I got to know that wince 6.0 (R3) supports single touch gesture
> recognition.
> I have implemeted the finger friendly touch driver for my hardware.
>
> Is there any way (standerd method) to implemet a touch friendly UI theme
> if
> it is not incorporated in OS image
>
> Indika
>

> "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
>> displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any
>> way
>> to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a
>> 1"
>> VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
>> other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!
>> It's
>> up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and
>> set up
>> the OS to do the right thing.
>>
>> The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way
>> and
>> return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
>> actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
>> assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel
>> needs
>> to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that
>> shows
>> you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for
>> the
>> panel which does that.
>>
>> Paul T.
>>
>> "Indika Ushan" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have
>> > support "FINGER" based touch.
>> > My questions are,
>> > 1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
>> > buttons....)
>> > 2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch
>> > pad?
>> >
>> > Indika

0
obcd
12/11/2009 5:19:41 PM
What do you mean by "touch friendly UI theme"?

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
www.Eurotech.com

"Indika Ushan" <IndikaUshan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Paul,
>
> I got to know that wince 6.0 (R3) supports single touch gesture
> recognition.
> I have implemeted the finger friendly touch driver for my hardware.
>
> Is there any way (standerd method) to implemet a touch friendly UI theme
> if
> it is not incorporated in OS image
>
> Indika
>

> "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:
>
>> No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
>> displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any
>> way
>> to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a
>> 1"
>> VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
>> other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!
>> It's
>> up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and
>> set up
>> the OS to do the right thing.
>>
>> The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way
>> and
>> return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
>> actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
>> assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel
>> needs
>> to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that
>> shows
>> you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for
>> the
>> panel which does that.
>>
>> Paul T.
>>
>> "Indika Ushan" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I m developing a Wince 6.0 OS for a KIOSK product. Practically we have
>> > support "FINGER" based touch.
>> > My questions are,
>> > 1. Does Wince 6.0 Provides a Finger-Friendly theme (With large icons,
>> > buttons....)
>> > 2. Does it has a "Finger" friendly touch algorithm for a 5-wire touch
>> > pad?
>> >
>> > Indika

0
Bruce
12/11/2009 5:27:47 PM
Hi Bruce,

what i mean by "touch friendly UI theme" is application swapping, panning
and zooming by using a finger gesture. those actions are already there with
keyboad and mouse inputs. I m asking that is there any built-in theme which
can use finger based touch gestures to accomplish above actions
Indika

"Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:

> What do you mean by "touch friendly UI theme"?
>
> --
> Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
> Senior Engineer
> Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
> My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
>
> Eurotech Inc.
> www.Eurotech.com
>
> "Indika Ushan" <IndikaUshan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I got to know that wince 6.0 (R3) supports single touch gesture
> > recognition.
> > I have implemeted the finger friendly touch driver for my hardware.
> >
> > Is there any way (standerd method) to implemet a touch friendly UI theme
> > if
> > it is not incorporated in OS image
> >
> > Indika
> >

> > "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No, I'd say that it doesn't.  Since CE itself will run on devices with
> >> displays of pretty much any size, I don't think that there's really any
> >> way
> >> to say that icons of size X are big enough, too big, or too small.  On a
> >> 1"
> >> VGA display, even a 64x64 icon isn't going to be finger-friendly!  On the
> >> other hand, on a 15" VGA display, a 32x32 icon is going to look huge!
> >> It's
> >> up to the device vendor to decide what's right for their customers and
> >> set up
> >> the OS to do the right thing.
> >>
> >> The touch panel driver would have to handle wide touch areas in some way
> >> and
> >> return suitable data to the OS indicating where it thinks the finger is
> >> actually located.  That is, this is a hardware-specific thing (again,
> >> assignable to the device vendor), that the driver for your touch panel
> >> needs
> >> to take care of.  Presumably the panel vendor will have some code that
> >> shows
> >> you how to do the right thing and you will create a Windows CE driver for
> >> the
> >> panel which does that.
> >>
> >> Paul T.

> .

not wanting #div/0 to chart as zero
Good afternoon, I have several reports, updated monthly, that until that month has passed, contain formulas that return results of #div/0. These reports are all charted and I would not to have the #div/0 not be on the chart as a zero value. My current formula is simple: =sum(d3+g3)/c3 Is there a formula I could use to have this value return as #N/A? Thank you for your time and help! Firstly, I don't understand what you expecting the SUM function to do in your formula. In what way do you intend SUM(D3+G3) to be different from (D3+G3) ? Is there some subtlety of the SUM functi...

Conditional format to cells containing a #DIV/0! error
I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet. In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the selected font color to be white. What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu? If I set the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work. A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the divided by zero error may contain a number. Basically I would like the cells t...

Update from previous versions to GP 10.0
Can I update GP 8.0 to GP 10.0 or I have to update first GP 8.0 to 9.0 and then GP 9.0 to GP 10.0? Please help me as soon as possible, I need to make decisions. Put service pack 5 on version 8, then update from there to 10.0 Make sure you also immediately use sp1 for Version 10 Mike "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12AD9FCB-84AD-45CF-898C-A943DB8216F4@microsoft.com... > Can I update GP 8.0 to GP 10.0 or I have to update first GP 8.0 to 9.0 and > then GP 9.0 to GP 10.0? > > Please help me as soon as possible, I need to make dec...

Event ID 3009 A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.1.0 appears randomly.
Exchange 2003 mail enabled Public Folder randomly don't receive e-mail from external sender, when it happens sender receives error : --------------------------------------------- Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxx@xxx.com Action: failed Status: 5.1.0 --------------------------------------------- Sometimes all work ok. Error in Application log : --------------------------------------------- Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: (8) Event ID: 3009 Date: 2005.12.21 Time: 11:43:32 User: N/A Computer: MailServerName Description: The description for Event ID ( 3009 ...

Training Course available: Extending Microsoft CRM 3.0
The Extending Microsoft CRM 3.0 courseware is now available for order. Details about this course for developers is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/syllabi/en-us/8531afinal.mspx Certified Partners for Learning solutions (CPLS) can start to deliver this training. Normally, you should be able to locate available training from the "Find training in a City near you" portion of the Course description on URL referenced above. But currently, it appears that the Class Schedules have not yet been uploaded for this course. I'm not trying to play favorites, but I am ...

RMS 2.0 hangs when processing Payment
Hi, I have a back office 'server' and two registers. All are XP SP2. Most sales are rung up on Reg. 2 and Reg. 1 is used primarily for lookups and receiving. Reg 1 is also the PC Charge 'server'. Lately when it gets busy Reg 2 has been getting slower and slower on the Processing payment screen. Eventually it just freezes - not just the register but all of RMS. All three computers have to be rebooted for the system to work. There is no rhyme or reason that I can find. The DB is 10560KB, there is not a single item or payment type that is used when it freezes and au...

Using CRM 4.0 Enterprise for multiple environments (production, te
Are you using CRM 4.0 Enterprise with multiple organizations such that certain organizations are set up for non-production purposes (production, test, training, development, demo, etc.)? For example, have you set it up so that you have: Production: http://crm.mycompany.com Test: http://crmtest.mycompany.com Training: http://crmtraining.mycompany.com Development: http://crmdev.mycompany.com Do you need to purchase user CALS for each organization, or can one user CAL be used for all organizations? Can all of the organizations leverage the same Active Directory organ...

Memory Leake with CRecordset VC++ 6.0
My programm works with Windows2000Prof without any problem. But if the programm run under Windows NT 4.0 it generates memory leakes. The database Access97 will be connected over ODBC mdac V 2.1.3711 ODBC 4.00.3711.08 It's true that this effect depends on the mdac Version? ...

Upgrade 1.0 to 1.2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3C0B8.E8BE58D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi! Anyone know who to contact at Microsoft to upgrade my NFR copy of = 1.0 CRM to 1.2 CRM. I guess I need the upgrade to make it work with SBS = 2003. gary ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3C0B8.E8BE58D0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD&...

Windows Internet Explorer Error Message
We are getting a spuratic error when in Internet Explorer using Sharepoint 3.0 Datasheets. When we try to edit any text field the datasheet we get the following error: "Edit Control creation has failed. You cannot edit cells" This is a new error and is very spuratic, if I reboot PC we can make it work but then if we go to edit the datasheet again later we get the error on all datasheets. Then we reboot. The operating system is Windows 7, Office 2007 Professional, Internet Explorer 8.0.76 We have checked all the internet security settings, office settings but s...

BT
Hi guys I have an iPaq 210, WM 6, that I'd like to use as a WiFi card for an WinXP SP2 PC. Here's my problem, which often happens (not always): 1. I turn on Bluetooth on the iPaq 2. I connect the PC to the iPaq using the "Explore my Bluetooth Places" wizard, "BT network access", then "Connect". It says "connected". Then on the XP "Network Connections" window, it says "acquiring network address", and shortly after: "connected". PC's IP address: 192.168.1.125, default gateway (the iPaq): 192.168.1.6...

CRM 3.0 User and Administrator's Manuals
Do printable (.pdf) exist for CRM 3.0 User and Administrator's Manuals Yes and no. There is an implementation guide that ships with CRM 3.0 and could be sort of considered an administrators manual. As for a user manual. The closest is from the application training course which you would have to buy. ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "mkatsev" <mkatsev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AAF87377-4592-4025-8DA8-B93E89CF87B3@microsoft.com.....

Removing '0' from cells
hi there, can anyone suggest a way to remove all instances of '0' from range of cells? the range is way too large to do this manually Many thanks Nig -- dabwan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dabwang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27325 ...

CRM 4.0 Installation
I tried to install CRM 4 and it failed,when I try to install again it says the name of the database already exist,what do I do? -- donn Hi, before reinstalling the CRM 4, just open your SQL database and delete the database and meta database that has been created when u try to install CRM 4 at first time. "Donald" wrote: > I tried to install CRM 4 and it failed,when I try to install again it says > the name of the database already exist,what do I do? > -- > donn Hi Sailaja - For additional information on troubleshooting the installation, visit http://www.micr...

direct upgrade from RMS 2.0 to POS 2009
Is there an upgrade path from RMS 2.0 to POS 2009? I've tried to restore an RMS database to POS 2009 and the import wizard bombs out with an error. What other choices are there? ...

FRx upgrade from 6.0 to 6.7 error
All, I am at a loss. We have upgrades GP from 6.0 to 8.0 successfully, then we ran the existing FRx 6.0 version fine on the GP 8.0. But I would like to upgrade to Frx 6.7 and am getting a banner error which is fatal and the install stops. I have met all 3 criteria spelled out in the FRx 6.7 documentation and am at a loss. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks -- For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack Ruyard Kipling What is the exact error message that you are getting? -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "ncst8pak" <ncst8pak@discussion...

Random distribution of 1 and 0
Hi. I'd like to create an array consisting of nothing but the randomly distributed numbers 1 and 0. Well, no problem: ROUND(RAND();0) and fill the space with this. But here's the question: I want there to be i.e. 68% of 0 and 32% of 1. Is there a possibility to do this with Excel? At least the programm has to count the number of 0 and the one of 1 and correct randomly to the requested ratio of 1 to 0. Possible with Excel? I'd be glad if there is someone who can help me with this. Alex Alex - If you want the formula to return, e.g., 68% chance of 0 a...

Email Problems #6
On the MS Outlook Shortcut Bar are three Shortcuts, Outlook Shortcut, My Shortcut, Other Shortcuts. When MS Outlook opens the default is Outlook Shortcuts, Is it possible to open MS Outlook with My Shortcuts as the default?? Also, I have been using Outlook Express and when I click on Send/Receive I have a choice to Send, Receive or Send and Receive. It does not appear I have this choice in MS Outlook, it seems that once I click Send/Receive it Sends and Receives only, no choice. Is this correct?? Thanks George Not sure about the Outlook Bar group thing but in the version you'...

Data Validation Question #6
Jaun, Thank you. It worked. Just curious, is it a "bug" in Excel or somethin I did? Case -- Case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=454 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26764 I think it's "by design". It happens when you manually move that message to some other place. Then, all the messages will appear there ! -- Regards Juan Pablo Gonz´┐Żlez "Casey" <Casey.1dtg7y@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote...

System Requirements Error when upgrading to CRM 4.0
I am currently working on upgrading my production environment from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0. CRM 3.0 is using SQL Server 2000 SP4 so I have restored the MSCRM and METABASE databases on to a new SQL 2005 SP2. I then ran the redeployment Wizard and set up a working installation of CRM 3.0 using the upgraded databases on a new Windows 2003 Server. However, when I run the CRM 4.0 setup, choosing upgrade, I get a few errors in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Database section of the System Requirements screen and cannot continue. The errors claims different objects are missing in the system databse: co...

Paste Special #6
Folks: I would like to copy and paste a spreadsheet from one workbook to another. All the formatting and column widths should deinitely be to be transferred as well. * Would the PASTE SPECIAL accomplish this for me ? Thanks, John Why not just use right click sheet tab>move or copy>copy>select the workbook> -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <JoJo> wrote in message news:%23IAnyPhxHHA.4640@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Folks: > > > I would like to copy and paste a spreadsheet from one workbook to another. > All...

Number formatting #6
i type "2" and it automatically converts to ".02". I do not want this. Any idea what I did to get this and how do I get my old excel back? Thanks in advance This is a new one for me. It sounds like you are somehow converting a percentage to a decimal. 2.00% 0.02 If that's not the case, than I'm not aware of any other number format that automatically divides a number by 100. Maybe it's something build into Excel 2007 (I'm on 2003). Try messing with the number formats for all your data if you're entering directly into Excel. Regards, That On...

Money 2004 Deluxe #6
I can not get my portfolio to update online. I have the symbols in the Abbreviation box and the transfer says it is "complete" not showing any errors, however the quotes are not updated. ...

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Mobile Supports Windows Mobile 5.0
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5641 ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx Can u give waht are the models Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Mobile Supports? John O'Donnell wrote: > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5641 > > ========================= > John O'Donnell > Microsoft CRM MVP > http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx ...

Remote Users for GP 8.0
We have a remote site with 5 users that are connected to us via a T1 point to point at 1.5mbps. We would like to have these w/s connect to run great plains. Is a vpn possible? SHould we use a terminal server? Any advantages in using citrix? Thanks John John, I would usually recommend Terminal Server 2003 for what you're describing. VPN only (without TS or Cirtix) is not supported by MS, nor advisable, even over a point to point T1 you're not going to like the performance. Citrix doesn't really offer too many advantages over TS for 5 users, but is also a viable alter...