change order in which gwes loads display, touch, hid drivers

I cannot figure out how to do this, but I need GWES to load the
display driver FIRST (for a splash screen implementation). Cannot find
any registry values that accomplish this... any ideas?
0
sean

Come on guys, somebody has to know the order in which driver's are
loaded by GWES.exe and how to alter it.... MS gentlemen????
0
sean
2/18/2010 7:43:53 PM
I don't think that's going to help.  What you really want to do is load the
image in the bootloader, since, by the time GWES itself loads, you're
probably 75% of the way through the boot process.  As far as I can recall,
GWES loads the keyboard, mouse, and display drivers.  The rest are loaded by
the Device Manager or the Filesystem Manager (is that the official name?)

Paul T.

<sean@rlc.com> wrote in message
> Come on guys, somebody has to know the order in which driver's are
> loaded by GWES.exe and how to alter it.... MS gentlemen????

0
Paul
2/21/2010 1:54:44 AM
Really, did you wait just under 3 hours and then criticize us for not
responding quick enough?  That just isn't how a newsgroup works.  You can't
even get that kind of turn around from paid support, and certainly should
not expect it from free support provided by volunteers.

Since GWES is loaded after all the rest of the display drivers are loaded,
there isn't much point to doing a splash screen in your display driver.  You
should think about handling that from your bootloader or kernel.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
www.Eurotech.com

<sean@rlc.com> wrote in message
> Come on guys, somebody has to know the order in which driver's are
> loaded by GWES.exe and how to alter it.... MS gentlemen????

0
Bruce
2/21/2010 5:36:25 AM
Bruce, I wasn't criticizing anybody.

I do load the display driver in the bootloader, as well as when the
kernel is loaded (on our platform, for whatever reason, the LCD
registers get reset when the bootloader jumps to the kernel). So as of
now, we have a splash screen from about 0.5 seconds after boot up
until GWES loads. I use the last 2 MB of ram on our system as the
frame descriptor and data portions of the display driver, until the
display driver loads and allocates its own memory sections. Now the
reason I ask about the order is because the LCD registers are again
getting reset, but this is happening AFTER GWES starts but BEFORE
DispDrvrInitialize is called, and this has been verified. I've
narrowed this occurrence to after the touchscreen driver is loaded,
but before DispDrvrInitialize. We do not have a keypad on our
platform, so this leaves the OHCI driver. I have still not figured out
where in the OHCI driver this is happening, and everything so far
points to it NOT happening in the OHCI driver, although to my
knowledge the OHCI driver is the only thing getting loaded between the
touchscreen driver and the display driver.
0
sean
2/22/2010 5:17:17 PM
 > I have still not figured out
> where in the OHCI driver this is happening, and everything so far
> points to it NOT happening in the OHCI driver, although to my
> knowledge the OHCI driver is the only thing getting loaded between the
> touchscreen driver and the display driver.

Just a thought - you could try removing the OHCI driver from your build
to confirm (or otherwise disprove) your suspicions.

regards,
Rik A
0
Rik
2/22/2010 5:36:24 PM
Rick has a good idea.

Many display drivers assume that the display buffer is dirty when they
start, so they clear the buffer.  You also want to confirm that the
bootloader is using the same buffer address that the display driver is
using.

--

"Rik Attrill" <rik.attrill@stickybrown-DOT-co-DOT-uk> wrote in message
> > I have still not figured out
>> where in the OHCI driver this is happening, and everything so far
>> points to it NOT happening in the OHCI driver, although to my
>> knowledge the OHCI driver is the only thing getting loaded between the
>> touchscreen driver and the display driver.
>
> Just a thought - you could try removing the OHCI driver from your build to
> confirm (or otherwise disprove) your suspicions.
>
> regards,
> Rik A

0
Bruce
2/22/2010 5:55:14 PM
After writing my previous post, I actually went and disabled the OHCI
driver, and the problem still persisted.

The bootloader display driver is actually using a different buffer
than the ACTUAL display driver. The bootloader uses a hardcoded
address for the frame descriptor and data sections, where as the real
display driver (loaded by GWES) uses a dynamically allocated memory
block using HalAllocateCommonBuffer. This works because the LCD can be
disabled, the frame descriptor updated, then turned back on without
the user seeing anything suspicious.

Although we don't have a keypad, GWES IS running the kbdmouse dll
(seen via the remote process viewer). It is possible that this may be
the culprit, currently investigating...
0
sean
2/22/2010 7:23:35 PM
This works because the LCD can be
> disabled, the frame descriptor updated, then turned back on without
> the user seeing anything suspicious.

Except that it may be a noticable time before your app, or explorer, draws
to the screen again.

--

> After writing my previous post, I actually went and disabled the OHCI
> driver, and the problem still persisted.
>
> The bootloader display driver is actually using a different buffer
> than the ACTUAL display driver. The bootloader uses a hardcoded
> address for the frame descriptor and data sections, where as the real
> display driver (loaded by GWES) uses a dynamically allocated memory
> block using HalAllocateCommonBuffer. This works because the LCD can be
> disabled, the frame descriptor updated, then turned back on without
> the user seeing anything suspicious.
>
> Although we don't have a keypad, GWES IS running the kbdmouse dll
> (seen via the remote process viewer). It is possible that this may be
> the culprit, currently investigating...

0
Bruce
2/22/2010 8:37:36 PM
Yes, that is true. However, I copy the frame buffer from the
bootloader display driver to the actual display driver frame buffer
once it has been allocated using HalAllocateCommonBuffer, so the same
information gets displayed without delay.

dbdmouse.dll is not the issue, I took it out of the platform.reg file
(and verified it wasn't loaded by GWES via the process viewer) and the
issue is persisted. DispDrvrInitialize is SUPPOSED to be the first
code called in the display driver, is it possible that there is some
code resetting the LCD registers that is getting called before
DispDrvrInitialize?
0
sean
2/22/2010 9:42:53 PM
Okay, but what else uses the bootloader framebuffer in your OS?  Or, are you
sure that the bootloader frame buffer is not used by anything else in the
OS?

One test that you could try is to write some known data to the buffer in a
couple of places, then in your DispDrvrInitialize check for the data when
you copy the buffer.

--

> Yes, that is true. However, I copy the frame buffer from the
> bootloader display driver to the actual display driver frame buffer
> once it has been allocated using HalAllocateCommonBuffer, so the same
> information gets displayed without delay.
>
> dbdmouse.dll is not the issue, I took it out of the platform.reg file
> (and verified it wasn't loaded by GWES via the process viewer) and the
> issue is persisted. DispDrvrInitialize is SUPPOSED to be the first
> code called in the display driver, is it possible that there is some
> code resetting the LCD registers that is getting called before
> DispDrvrInitialize?

0
Bruce

how do i change dates on my calendar and keep my pics
Publisher doesn't support this. You would need to do it manually. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bob T" <Bob T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68671977-F71B-444F-AE72-801D2B359FEE@microsoft.com... > ...

Displaying Counts when Filtering
Usually when using the filter function, the total records in the spreadsheet and the number of records that match the filter criteria are displayed on the lower left of the window (I guess it's the status bar). However, for certain files that I have, no counts are displayed when I filter. Does anyone know if there is a setting in the file that causes this or something else that needs to be changed? I do notice this happens frequently with files created by exporting from Access, but not always. It also happens with other files, but I can't find a common denominator. Hi To...

Cash flow forecast chart does not display
Recently my cash flow forecast would not display. I googled the issue and found a solution which sounded reasonable: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/browse_thread/thread/6ab159f49fe90e58/84f31b41ac5d1529?lnk=st&q=microsoft+money+cash+forecast+will+not+open&rnum=2&hl=en#84f31b41ac5d1529 However, I was disappointed when the problem persisted even after following the instructions which had to do with a possible broken bill or deposit. All scheduled bills and deposits were deleted and the cash flow forecast did not correct itself. I figured out what was causing...

Tracking Changes #4
Hi All, Just wondered if anyone could help me. I was going through the Track changes exercise, which is great to produce a report of who has change what and when etc. However I then found out that if I was to change my username in Tools>Options>General, in excel that track changes goes to pot and tracks the new username, so in effect I could disguise myself as someone else and change areas of the spreadsheet without successfully being tracked! Can this be stopped without using network administration rights to stop people going in and changing the username? Many Thanks Amanda ...

Display text in Excel Bubble chart. #2
H1!, I have an Excel spreadsheet which contains X-coordinates, Y-Cordinates, Well name and Cumulative Oil/Gas/Water production. I have created bubble map using X,Y and Z(Cum production). I need to show the well name on each Bubble, which I am unable to do. Kindly sugest method to display the well name on the bubbles. Thanks, Raja Mukherjee Raja - Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (http://appspro.com) is a free addin that adds text from the worksheet to data labels on a chart series. I just tested it on a bubble chart and it works fine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP ...

According to the Excel online help, the PivotCache.Connection property can be set to "the path to and file name of a text file". I tried setting it to the path and file name of a .csv file and it returned an error. Is there a way to load a PivotCache directly from a flat file without having to load into a spreadsheet or database? (The flat file has more than 1 million rows.) -- Tom Sherwood ...

Unable to display the folder error.
I get the following message when using Outlook. If I close Outlook then reopen it, it will work until I switch icons (calendar to contacts). "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. An error occurred that prevented the file M:\Outlook\cij.pst from being saved. Close and then restart all mail-enabled applications." Can anyone help me with this problem? ...

Changing my functions to use subtotals?
I have 2 functions that are calculating my data correctly, except now I need to consider the autofilter. I figure using subtotal is the way to go if I want to disregard filtered out rows. Also, I plan on moving my data to another sheet, so it will need to reference the current sheet, which is AAT_Raw_Data. Finally, the # of rows of data will vary, but I don't think it will ever be over 10,000. I'm using Excel 2003, so I think there's an issue with using something like "A:A" in my formulas. Can someone help me change these to add in a subtotal and take into...

Word always asks to save changes to the template
For my work we have made templates for different letters we have to send. Our application (VB6) calls those templates when we want to send a letter. Using the code we follow a few steps : - open word - open a new document using our template - save the document (.doc) on a server - sometimes print the document - sometimes immediately close the document (when we don't want users to modify the document afterwards) When they closed the document the users always get 2 questions : - save changes to template for the letter - save changes to normal.dot I already found a solution to avoid the q...

Display Discount on POS screen
I've figured out how to remove REP from the main POS screen. I'd really like to add Discount to the screen, so we can accurately display for the cashier which discounts are being applied to which individual items. Any ideas? Anyone got a third-party recommendation? ...

double display in the Watch view with VC++6 sp6
Hi, Since the install of Visual Studio service pack 6 the double display differe in the Watch window of example before (with vc++ sp5) -7701.7701 give in the window -7701.7701 now (with the sp6) in obtain -7701.7700999999997 Thanks Why is this an issue? It strikes me as a bit of concern over an irrelevancy. Floating point isn't accurate anyway, so there is no particular reason to be concerned about trivial differences like this. joe On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:39:11 +0200, "Olivier" <olive@nospam.fr> wrote: >Hi, > >Since the install of Visual Studio service ...

44 R4I-SDHC.COM FIRMWARE DRIVERS
FIRMWARE DRIVERS CARTUCHOS DSI R4I-SDHC.COM CAJA ROJA - ULTIMA ACTUALIZACION. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_r4i-sdhc-com-nuevo-firmware-drivers-13b_1344437 sALUDOS cARLOS oWFU&w(oYOWUN>WvKA^tG,Af# ...

delay in displaying cell contents
Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code but I dont know how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave Hi have a look at the Wait method in the VBA help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dave" <dave-rawlins@beeb.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9995bde6.0410151425.1688ff24@posting.google.com... > Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents > of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code > but I dont know how...

Problem with XmlDocument.Load method.
I get an unhandled exception, when I try to execute XmlDocument.Load(...) in my C# Windows application: -------------------------------------------- "Common Language Runtime Debugging Services" Process id... thread id... Click OK to terminate ... Click Cancel to Debug ... -------------------------------------------- Running environment: Windows 2000 Terminal Server, .NET Framework 1.1 with all latest service packs. But strangest thing is - if I run the same programm as an administrator,everything runs well, but if user is power user or User - I get this exception. Even more - I c...

Visio 2007, Vista 64, VISIO.EXE 32 stays loaded, 100% CPU
Whenever I run Visio 2007 under Vista 64, it starts a process, VISIO.EXE 32 which takes about 50% of the CPU. Sometimes it starts two copies and then it takes 100%. I used this visio under XP and it did not do this. I have all the MS patches in as well as everything from Lenovo for the Thinkpad. It is running Core 2 Duo with 3 Gig of ram. ...

Order of X-axis
Dearest Wizards, Col A has dates, in order but with most recent toward top. Col D has data to be graphed. What I want is for the resulting graph to have the most recent date on the RIGHT side of the graph (on the X-Axis) and the earliest dates on the LEFT. The order on the spreadsheet really can't be changed to accommodate this. TIA for any help you can give. Sam Hi, Double click the X axis and on the scale tab of the format dialog check, Dates in Reverse order To keep the Y axis labels on the left also check Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope,...

Inbox display problem
My 4 year old got on my computer and now my email is only showing the received column. I would like to have the From and Subject put back in there. Don't know and can't figure out how he did it. Anyone? Frank Frank <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My 4 year old got on my computer and now my email is only > showing the received column. I would like to have the > From and Subject put back in there. Don't know and can't > figure out how he did it. Anyone? In addition to what Milly said, you can also reset the current view to its defaul...

Time reg: Creating an Outlook Calendar appointment from the order
It would be a great feature when it comes to time registration, if it was possible from the Order View in the CRM Outlook client to draw an order directly into the Outlook Calendar, thereby using it for time registration. In that case, it should be possible to select which data fields would be transferred to the Outlook Calendar Appointment, enabling all sorts of time usage statistics. I'm quite certain many companies would benefit from such a feature. I know we would. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most...

Creating a Relationship Between Order Product (salesorderdetail) and Service Activity (serviceappointment)
Hi folks, We are using CRM 4.0 to run a consulting business. Its working pretty well but we want to simply the way we are doing some things. What we want to do is create an Order (salesorder) with multiple Order Products (salesorderdetal). So good so far. Next I want to be able associate each Order Product (salesorderdetail) with a Service Activity (serviceappointment), this representing that this billable line item in the order is actually going to be fulfilled as a consuting engagement. The problem is, I can't seem to be able to create an association between the Order Product (salesor...

series name change
How can I change the name of "series" ? I added to the chart with straight line by highlight two numeric columns. I can create lines but the legend show series 3,4,5,6 !! Thanks Daniel On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I change the name of "series" ? > >I added to the chart with straight line by highlight two numeric columns. >I can create lines but the legend show series 3,4,5,6 !! Choose menu Chart.. Source Data.. Series, and there will be a box for series name. You can ...

I have recently bought a new computer with Vista Home Premium, but my Publisher 2003 will not load as it states there is no Windows XP or 2000 running. Quite right, but do I really have to buy the 2007 version? As a UK charity we have bought the Student 2007 office version - is there a student version of Publisher 2007? -- Mark Ward Senior User Try installing in safe mode. Do you get an error other than there is no XP or 2000. Publisher 2003 should install on Vista. List of system requirements for Microsoft Office 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822129/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT ...

What can stop a PC from displaying Access 2000/2003 text & background colours?
Can anyone suggest a reason why a specific Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop should be unable to display any of the text or background colours on an utterly basic test form with only a couple of text boxes and no VBA code on an otherwise empty test database? The problem also happens with an application of mine using Access 2003 runtime - but only on this PC. It runs fine on several other PCs. I have applied every available Windows XP Home update and every available Office 2000 update to no effect. The laptop (set to 32-bit colour) can display digital colour photographs without any problem and ...

Changing a formula's result to text
I have a pretty simple worksheet that lists the date in column A. In column B, I have a formula that converts the date in Column A to the proper day of week. When I put it in a pivot table, it treats column B as an individual date, not the proper DOW. I attempted to copy/paste special/values into a new column, but it doesn't change it to the DOW, it leaves it as the date. I am trying to get Excel to permanently change the cells in column B to say "Tuesday" instead of 4/19/07. Does that make sense? All of the conventional answers don't seem to work for me. Any help? It...

What ODBC Driver for XL 2003?
Hi there, can anyone tell me if there are updated ODBC drivers for XL 2003? The reason that I ask is because when I set up a data source that points to an .XLS file, you can only select up to Excel 2000. When I view the spreadsheet in MS Query, some of the cells that contain data in the spreadsheet are blank. I don't know what installed MDAC and the drivers. Either SQL Server 2000, Visual Studio 6, VS .Net 2003 or MS Office 2003. The driver version is 4.00.6019.00. "Gorge Bush" wrote ... Unfortunate name. > can anyone tell me if there are updated ODBC ...

Open Excel with a particular sheet to be displayed first
Hi, I have an Excel file which has 20 sheets. Is it possible for me to open this Excel file and display Sheet10 first, rather than the focus in whatever sheet when last saved. Your helps are much appreciated. Thanks & Regards S. Hi Sathanga! You need something like this in the ThisWorkbook module Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.Goto Reference:=Sheets("Sheet10").Range("a1"), Scroll:=True End Sub -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) availab...