Windows Mail recovering messages

I need to reinstall Vista so what is the best way to save/recover existing
mail messages/settings?

See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx  You need to backup the message store and the
relevant registry keys.  Then, once reinstalled, just replace the location
of the message store and merge the registry keys.  Then before starting
Winmail make sure the "Store Root" value in the registry correctly lists the
location of the message store and if so then start Winmail and it should
work fine, except you will have to put in your passwords again.

steve

"Therealdaddydo" <Therealdaddydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to reinstall Vista so what is the best way to save/recover existing
> mail messages/settings?

0
Steve
2/24/2010 1:39:57 PM
If you want to back up all aspects of Windows Mail, including
account settings, rules, etc. use this free third party utility:

http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup/
http://www.staticbackup.com/products.htm#swmbf

It does not transfer contacts, but you can easily copy and paste
the folder C:\Users\username\Contacts.
=20
--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Therealdaddydo" <Therealdaddydo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in =
message news:044A746E-1FBD-4604-B488-8D14528F2562@microsoft.com...
>I need to reinstall Vista so what is the best way to save/recover =
existing=20
> mail messages/settings?
0
Gary

intelligent message filter moving everything to junk mail
i recently upgraded to exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 server and installed the intelligent message filter. no matter what i set the scl rating threshold for gateway blocking or store junk email configuration (in global settings/message delivery), every message that is sent from an external source gets automatically dumped into the junk e-mail folder in outlook. but when a message is sent from the same exchange box to another user on the same exchange, its fine. i also installed a utility that views the archived messages, but that utility shows a blank SCL rating. maybe thats why its ending ...

re: printer driver install on Windows 7 x64
I managed to get self-extracting exe to invoke the "Add Printer" wizard by starting a 64-bit executable that calls rundll32 and passes the "printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" command line. Unfortunately, after the driver is installed, the Windows "Program Compatibility Assistant" pops up a dialog box that says "The program might not have installed correctly". I did some research on MSDN regarding the PCA (Program compatibility assistant) and I quote: "The best option to exclude a program from PCA is to include, with the program, an applicatio...

bad mail folder #3
Every day I have thousands of email in the bad mail folder. The ones that I am concerend with is the ones that are address to old employees who no longer work here and who no longer have a sign on. I have turned recipent filtering on, so why are the emails being excepted in only to be rejected and now getting NDR to go back to the sender (which is spam). Thank you What version of Exchange? You can strip the attachment from NDRs if it's Exchange 2000 SP2 or higher, per http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308303 Another technique you can use is to create a distribution list with no members...

junk mail #6
I'd like to copy the "junk mail folder" e-mail addresses to another folder outside of outlook. Is there a way to export all the e-mail addresses in the "junk mail folder", or Are these addresses kept in a folder in some Microsoft Office directory that can be accessed. ...

2003 wont send new mail from default account
I am running Office Pro 2003 SP1 I have read several postings and accept that Outlook will reply to mails via the account the was received from. However, i have added a new account and set it as default, but mail still gets sent from my other account. This even happens when i select the account from within the new mail... the message says 'This message will be sent via mail.mydefaultdomain.com'.. but its actually gets sent via the non default account.. How do i sort this as it is really annoying.. On 19 Jan 2005 14:44:35 -0800, Winshent wrote: > I am running Office Pro 2003 SP1...

Set message subject here ...
I use excel to store my audio cd information, i have a big collection of music cds I have it like Column A = Currently blank Column B = Artist Column C = Track Column D = Cd Name Then say a cd as 10 tracks then it will be 10 Rows containing artist, track name, cd name etc. What i would like if it is possible so far i do it manually but would like it easier etc. Where i drag down column A and it will automatically number each cd for me, it would be similar to this... 0001 / Prince / Alphabet Street / Greatest Hits 0001 / Prince / 1999 / Greatest Hits 0002 / Madon...

Recover batches if Post to G/L = off?`
Is there any way to recover payables batches that were posted while the "Post to G/L" was turned off without voiding them and re-entering them? Are you trying to get the GL entry? One way to do is pulling the distribution history out of the Payables table. Here's a query in SQL Query Analyzer that gives you some columns and the amounts. select a.vchrnmbr,a.debitamt,a.crdtamnt,a.vendorid,a.pstgdate,b.actnumst from pm30600 as a inner join gl00105 as b on a.dstindx = b.actindx order by vchrnmbr The join to GL00105 is important because the PM table stores the account index, ...

Entourage message
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Sometimes, not always or often, when I click on a new message received to open the message - it appears as blank. If i close entourage and then reopen it and click the message it opens fine- any reason for this and can I prevent it Thanks ...

Send Receive window.
Can someone please help. When you send or receive an email you can click on Send/Receive and a little window pops up with a green info bar letting you know whats coming in, how many, etc. This doesn't work for me anymore. It will do it only when there is nothing coming in or out. It will flash up connect/authorise/disconnect very quickly. If I have mail coming in, it will tell me down the bottom right of my screen. If i click Send/Receive while mail is been received, say 15 times nothing will happen. However once the mail is received that box will flash up 15 times quickly at...

Unwanted Warning Pop-up message.
I am running outlook 2002. I have some code in VB Scritp that automatically sends a cc to another email address. But every time I send a message, a warning box pops up and says, "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this? I this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose NO. " Is there any way to have my messages sent to the cc without that message popping up every time? Please let me know. Thanks. Michael msalama@chefmerito.com Questions regarding the Outlook Security prompt are asked very frequen...

Windows xp updates question
When I try to update Windows XP IE will not load page. It's as if the page didn't exist. I go click on 'Tools/Window Update' but the MS update page will not be found. How can I fix this? Tony Alpha wrote: > When I try to update Windows XP IE will not load page. It's as if > the page didn't exist. I go click on 'Tools/Window Update' but the > MS update page will not be found. > > How can I fix this? Windows XP _____ Edition with Service Pack _ __-Bit? Internet Explorer version _? Assuming some 32-bit version of Windows XP...

weppart in popup window
Hi All, I have a custom webpart running on my sharepoint page. Is is possible to open this webpart in a popup window inside the sharepoint page. I just want to open only this webpart in popup window not the whole page in popwindow. your suggestion will be valuable for me. Thanks, Chandan Chandan, You could create a Web Part Page, put the single web part on it, and set the link to show in a new window. Using SP Designer, you could then customize the page so that only the body (i.e. web part) is displayed. "chandan" <ck.kislay@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

Bellsouth.net mail not coming into OL2007
I have been having problems with my bellsouth.net mail coming into OL2007. Some of the messages make it to OL2007 but not all. I spent 4 hours on the phone with att.net trying to fix the problem and it seemed to be working after we disabled all of the startup programs through msconfig, but this morning I see in webmail that there are messages that aren't coming to OL2007. The send/receive is just hanging up. Any help is appreciated. You should not change any windows files on the advice of att. Startup files have nothing to do with Outlook. You must have an error in your account or c...

OL03 and Exch 03 with Mail Marshal
Does anyone know if Mail Marshal (or other filtering s/ware) can add the SCL Rating or another marker to emails so that Outlook 03 can automatically put them into the junk mail folder? If so, can the Junk mail settings in Outlook be set by Group Policy or do they need to be pre-done when we upgrade the PC's? cheers Martin ...

Outbox messages unable to be sent
On using MS Office Outlook 2003. whilst sending a message through Outbox the does not get sent. Inbox works okay. Is it the SMTP settings even though on checking the Test Testings in tools Email accounts, everthing is okay. Very confusing. Did download new Window upgrades from MS about the same times and Adobe Acrobat 7. Has thiks had an effect. I like using MS Office Outlook 2003 - its professional compared to MS OE6. Was told to download Mozilla Thunderbird but found this amateurish and similar to OE6, and it couldn't even recognise my new and main ISP email address! Hence my de...

View -> Sized With Window (for Excel charts): I want it back, plea
While I appreciate that not every function survives from one version to the next, this is one I sorely miss ! I use Excel 2003 at work, and 2007 at home. I can stand the constant bleating about compatability. I can even (barely) tolerate the highlight colors not matching. But this? Why oh why was it removed? Can you at least recommend a macro / VBA script patch to reurn this functionality to the program ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" b...

Incoming mails from another external domain are lost
Hi, I have a Exchange Front-End & Back-End combination. Front-End Server also has SMTP Relay server and Intelligent Message Filtering. Front-end server is in a DMZ Zone. I have a pix firewall. I got a peculiar problem. One user has complained me saying he has not received a email sent from another company (external domain say xyz.com). I have checked the server logs and the filtered spam emails. I could not see any email from xyz.com in the server logs. Also the sender from xyz.com did not receive any NDR for this mail also. Can anybody help me on this? Regards Ganapathy Is the...

Trying to mail merge to email
I set up a mail merge but when I tried to finish the merge to an e-mail that icon was grayed out. Does anyone know why this would be? You need to have Entourage set as your default email program. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/12/10 1:39 PM, in article 5F41ACE6-2801-46E7-ABCD-2C5D0EE1EC86@microsoft.com, "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up a mail merge but when I tried to finish the merge to an e-mail that > icon was grayed out. Does anyone know why this would be? Entourage is not your default email progr...

Exchange 2003 gagging on mass mailing
There have been a couple of occasions when clients have not used distribution lists or bcc and stuffed hundreds of addresses in the To: field. When they send, I've noticed my XP desktop locking and my Outlook 2003 client "not responding" for a few seconds. Exchange is relaying all external mail through a local campus server. One instance resulted in the relay server rejecting based on a header size limit, but the latest instance was a text email with no attachments send to ~ 400 recipients. I have set a 500 recipient limit on the Exchange server and contacted the users a...

Export "Received" timestamp from Outlook Messages
I am trying to build a database that will track responses to and from an email group. I would like to export the timestamp in the "Received" or "Sent" fields. The standard export feature in Outlook does not include these fields. Does anybody have a suggestion on how I can capture these fields in my export file. Thanks, Ken ...

Windows XP look
Hello, I added support in my program for windows xp look. But run into a problem that I don't know the answer too. I have some tab controls and each tab displays a child dialog, this child dialog does not get the windows xp look and is the old grey color which makes the whole dialog look bad. There must be an easy solution to this that I have missed? thanks /Niklas You need to call the EnableThemeDialogTexture with the handle for the dialog window and the ETDT_ENABLETAB flag. This is exported from uxtheme.dll. If this program needs to run on Pre-XP machines, you'll need to d...

messages of a paste of the outlook
because I don't get to catch all the messages of a paste of the outlook using that part code For Each MailMsg In objFolder.Items Debug.Print strEmailBody Next for could diffuse I have to do a count first in the items oh yes he to catch all the messages ...

Outlook 2000 leaves messages in outbox when sent
I have a user with Windows XP Pro SP3, and Office 2000 Pro. Both are fully updated, including Office 2000 SP3. For some reason, whenever she sends a message in her Outlook, it shows TWO messages in the outbox for each one she's sending, and leaves one of them behind, empty except for the recipient information. Any suggestions on how to fix this? "Detect and Repair" doesn't work because it says it can't find a source for Office 2000 SP1 (which is apparently the original installation.) I realize that Office 2000 is no longer even supported under the "extended" /...

mail merger in excel
Hi everyone, Can anyone help me in creating mail merger type of application in Excel... its important. I want to select one record (may be by drop down form) and values associated with that record should automatically be transferred to the fields. Example. if i have engine then i will select the engine name and all parameters will get enter in the forms. Prompt reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance gautam duplicate post ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "gautam" <gautam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3887B867-A614-478F-BA...

Mail Merge in browser
Hi, In MS CRM you can use mail merge with the SFO-client and direct e-mail in the browser. Now I'm using the c360 Search Pac for selecting the contacts, but this only works when it is in a browser. I want to mail merge the selection made with the Search Pac, but can only select direct email. Is there a way I can use the mail merge function in the browser (and the direct email in the SFO)? And can someone tell why this is, why just put both features in the browser as in the SFO-client? Greetz, MattijsW Hi! There is no possibility to directly make a MailMerge out of the browse. The...