windows mail not opening pictures

in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures in
emails. � not attchments � the pretty pics used by most commercial
emailers � to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc etc

All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner

I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did)

Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked
TO Security does not have "block images" ticked
View  "message in html" is greyed out

virus check was done since the problem started

anyone else having this problem? anyone got an idea how to fix the
problem


-- 
paradisi
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
paradisi
5/16/2010 7:55:42 PM
windows.vista.mail 2954 articles. 1 followers. Follow

10 Replies
1240 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

VistaRookie;1686950 Wrote: 
> Not sure where you see this...
> View  "message in html" is greyed out
> 
> Check Tools->Options->Security Tab
> Make sure 
> Internet zone (Less secure, but more functional)
> is checked off and not restricted site zone.


Internet zone is checked  - 

- the View drop down menu lists "Message in HTML"  it is greyed out -


-- 
paradisi
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
paradisi
5/16/2010 8:46:57 PM
OK, that being greyed out is not a problem.

What happens if you embed an image and send
it to yourself - can you view it then?

paradisi;1686955 Wrote: 
> Internet zone is checked  - 
> 
> - the View drop down menu lists "Message in HTML"  it is greyed out -


-- 
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
VistaRookie
5/16/2010 8:55:13 PM
VistaRookie;1686956 Wrote: 
> OK, that being greyed out is not a problem.
> 
> What happens if you embed an image and send
> it to yourself - can you view it then?


pictures embedded by me - work fine - all show up

sent to my account and my wifes' account - both work fine


-- 
paradisi
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
paradisi
5/16/2010 9:51:27 PM
Most likely, rather than them embedding the actual
image, the commercial emails are including a link in
the code to the image and something is wrong with 
that. 

If you have a friend capable of embedding an image,
you might have them send you one.  If that works as
well, it has to be a problem with the "commercial
emails."

Sometimes if you are scanning emails with an 
anti-virus, it might strip the email.  Anti-virus scanning
of emails isn't necessary and should be turned off.  If
it doesn't cause a problem today, it will farther down
the line.

Email scanning is redundant at best and harmful to the 
email database at worst. 

'OETips' (http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3) 
'Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight
Information Avenune Tutorial'
(http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm)

The only way you would know for sure that is the 
problem, is to uninstall your anti-virus and then reinstall 
unchecking the option to scan emails, so it is turned off 
during the reinstallation of your anti-virus.




paradisi;1686969 Wrote: 
> pictures embedded by me - work fine - all show up
> sent to my account and my wifes' account - both work fine


-- 
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
VistaRookie
5/16/2010 10:00:51 PM
Which antivirus are you running? Make sure it is not configured to
scan emails.
=20
--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com


"paradisi" <paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in =
message news:paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>=20
> in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures in
> emails. =96 not attchments =96 the pretty pics used by most commercial
> emailers =96 to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc =
etc
>=20
> All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner
>=20
> I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did)
>=20
> Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked
> TO Security does not have "block images" ticked
> View  "message in html" is greyed out
>=20
> virus check was done since the problem started
>=20
> anyone else having this problem? anyone got an idea how to fix the
> problem
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> paradisi
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
0
Gary
5/16/2010 10:07:31 PM
Ive tried what you suggested - not scanning emails

just waiting on one to arrive with an embedded pic

the funny thing is the old emails that used to have pics - no longer
have the pics viewable


-- 
paradisi
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
paradisi
5/16/2010 10:23:42 PM
If View | Messsage in HTML is greyed out, then the message is not in =
HTML and the redX's are not embedded images, since embedded images are =
only in HTML messages.  Try emailing yourself in HTML and insert an =
image and see if you receive it correctly.  If so, you might examine the =
source code (CTRL-F3) of the other messages and see if thay indicates =
how the images are inserted.

steve

"paradisi" <paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in =
message news:paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>=20
> in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures in
> emails. =96 not attchments =96 the pretty pics used by most commercial
> emailers =96 to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc =
etc
>=20
> All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner
>=20
> I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did)
>=20
> Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked
> TO Security does not have "block images" ticked
> View  "message in html" is greyed out
>=20
> virus check was done since the problem started
>=20
> anyone else having this problem? anyone got an idea how to fix the
> problem
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> paradisi
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>
0
Steve
5/19/2010 12:12:53 PM
Steve, 
He is talking about WM->View.
Greyed out is: Blocked Images
Greyed out is: Message in HTML Alt+Shift+H

I use nothing but HTML (without problems).
Never text mode.  I have embedded images.
Both of those are greyed out. How would 
one access those and activate those?


Steve Cochran;1688021 Wrote: 
> If View | Messsage in HTML is greyed out, then the message is not in
> HTML and the redX's are not embedded images, since embedded images are
> only in HTML messages.  Try emailing yourself in HTML and insert an
> image and see if you receive it correctly.  If so, you might examine the
> source code (CTRL-F3) of the other messages and see if thay indicates
> how the images are inserted.
> 
> steve
> 
> "paradisi" <paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:paradisi.4b2lwc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> > 
> > in the last two days windows mail in Vista doesnt open any pictures
> in
> > emails. � not attchments � the pretty pics used by most commercial
> > emailers � to let you know their logo, their lastest offerings etc
> etc
> > 
> > All I get is a border with a little x in the top left hand corner
> > 
> > I havent changed anything. (unless the last auto windows update did)
> > 
> > Tools Option Read does not have "read in plain txt" ticked
> > TO Security does not have "block images" ticked
> > View  "message in html" is greyed out
> > 
> > virus check was done since the problem started
> > 
> > anyone else having this problem? anyone got an idea how to fix the
> > problem
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > paradisi
> > Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
> >


-- 
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
VistaRookie
5/19/2010 4:37:52 PM
VistaRookie;1688085 Wrote: 
> Steve, 
> He is talking about WM->View.
> Greyed out is: Blocked Images
> Greyed out is: Message in HTML Alt+Shift+H
> 
> I use nothing but HTML (without problems).
> Never text mode.  I have embedded images.
> Both of those are greyed out. How would 
> one access those and activate those?

the mail received is using HTML


the problem was caused by the browser internet explorer setting up a
proxy

I didnt do it and at the moment Im the only one in my house

once I got rid of the proxy all was fine again

BTW  I havent used IE since I bought the computer


-- 
paradisi
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
paradisi
5/19/2010 8:54:34 PM
Glad you found that, surprisingly "proxy" gets
turned on from time to time for quite a few people.
I've never found a decisive answer why it happens.

paradisi;1688174 Wrote: 
> the mail received is using HTML
> 
> the problem was caused by the browser internet explorer setting up a
> proxy
> I didnt do it and at the moment Im the only one in my house
> once I got rid of the proxy all was fine again.  BTW  I havent used IE
> since I bought the computer


-- 
VistaRookie

10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found
here:
'*Google*' (http://www.google.com)
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
VistaRookie
5/19/2010 9:03:17 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: