Windows Mail - 126995

I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to create
an association for the program I am trying to open,
(Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations, but
dont know what to do after that. Help

0
Wayne

You really should have opened your own thread . . . . .

Go to Start - Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs - see list of
programs on left - select Windows Mail - on right, just below the "pane",
you should see "This program has all its defaults".  If not, select the
second green arrow at bottom, "Choose defaults for this program", and tick
all of the boxes and Save.

Also, you may need to verify defaults for the other programs in that left
side list.

Another thing you may need to verify is the "Associate a file type or
protocol with a program" which you will also find at Start - Default
Programs.  Ensure the file extensions on the left have the appropriate
program on the right.

"Wayne" <wcfields@commspeed.net> wrote in message
> I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to
> create an association for the program I am trying to open,
> (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations,
> but dont know what to do after that. Help

0
slk759
12/9/2009 8:48:49 PM
"slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You really should have opened your own thread . . . . .
>
> Go to Start - Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs - see list of
> programs on left - select Windows Mail - on right, just below the "pane",
> you should see "This program has all its defaults".  If not, select the
> second green arrow at bottom, "Choose defaults for this program", and tick
> all of the boxes and Save.
>
> Also, you may need to verify defaults for the other programs in that left
> side list.
>
> Another thing you may need to verify is the "Associate a file type or
> protocol with a program" which you will also find at Start - Default
> Programs.  Ensure the file extensions on the left have the appropriate
> program on the right.
>

> "Wayne" <wcfields@commspeed.net> wrote in message
>> I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to
>> create an association for the program I am trying to open,
>> (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations,
>> but dont know what to do after that. Help

Try directing the OP to look at:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/149/1/Unable-to-open-PPS-attachments-directly-from-Windows-Mail-in-Windows-Vista.html

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
12/10/2009 12:46:29 AM
The error message is misleading.
Are you able to open PowerPoint (.PPS) files outside of Windows Mail?
If so, try this fix to enable opening from inside Windows Mail:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/149/1/Unable-to-open-PPS-attachment=
s-directly-from-Windows-Mail-in-Windows-Vista.html

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Wayne" <wcfields@commspeed.net> wrote in message =
>I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to =
create=20
> an association for the program I am trying to open,
> (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set =
Associations, but=20
> dont know what to do after that. Help=20

0
Gary

Outlook 2000 attachment problems Windows XP/2003
Hi, I have been having this problem with outlook 2000 that I have searched all over the place for but can't find an answer, hope anyone can help me. Firstly, I have installed outlook 2000 on both Windows 2000 ,Windows XP and Windows 2003 with the SR-1 patch all security updates and SP3. When I VPN into the office and retreive email from Exchange 5.5 (therefore I am in corporate and workgroup mode), in Windows 2000 the message body is downloaded first and displayed on the preview pane without the need to download the attachments (if any exists). In Windows XP/2000 however both the ...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

CD/DVD can't "see" CDs after Windows Vista update (KB973917)
Ever since this update installed, my CD/DVD drive does not see any CD or DVD I put in the drive. I have looked for an updated driver and have the most recent driver. I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, both with and without shutting down the laptop and starting it up again. Device Manager says the device is working properly, which it clearly isn't. I am wondering if I should uninstall the update. Lisa This sometimes happens Go into the Registry and search for Upper and Lower Filters. When found delete both of them. Close out and Save and then reboot. ...

Messages not showing up in Properties window
I just converted a VC6 MFC app over to .NET and the Messages window is not showing anything when I click on a Dialog class in the class viewer. Some dialogs do show up, but I can't see anything that indicates why. MainFrm doesn't even show up. Has anyone seen this or know what causes it? Thanks, Steve I have seen that before. Click Solution view. Delete the ones that don't work and add them back into the project. Do that to both the .cpp and .h files Good Luck, Christopher J. Holland [!MVP] "SteveK" <asasd@asdfasdfsd.com> wrote in message news:el88qJiXEHA....

Layered Window & Web browser open office docment cause system Crash
hi, all I placed a web browser Activx object into a layered window in Win XP.When I continusely use web browser to load MS office document(*.doc,*.xls) ,it will easily crash the whole system(win32k.sys crash), but every thing is fine in windows 2000 or I just navigate the web site use webbrowser. Is that a bug of windows XP? Please give some hints. You can download sample from here http://s87799026.onlinehome.us\temp\testweb.zip (VC 6.0) Thanks in advance Bravew. ...

Mail Merge Tracking
I'm currently successfully creating a mail merge using Outlook and am able to send the form email to several individuals. However, is there a way to track if the email has been read using the tracking features of Outlook? No, not via the standard Mail Merge feature. You can achieve this with several Mail Merge add-ins though such as Send Individually from Sperry Software; http://addins.howto-outlook.com/sperry_sendindividually If you decide to order use BH93RF24 to get a discount. Other Mail Merge tools are listed here; http://howto-outlook.com/tag/mass-mail -- Robert...

Links in mails no longer work...
in outlook 2007, out of the blue... when I select a link from an email, I get an error: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I have no idea how this happened. any advise will be helpful. "Rgryn" <Rgryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A02212C-C0BB-45F3-8678-05CA5A2DA967@microsoft.com... > in outlook 2007, out of the blue... when I select a link from an email, I > get > an error: > "This operation has been canceled due to res...

how to send mails at a scheduled time
hi, does anyone know how to send mails at a scheduled time from outllok express or microsoft outlook thanks depending on your version of outlook, there might be two ways, but in Outlook 2000 and above, with the email you're going to send open, go to View, Options...there's a checkbox that reads "Do not deliver before" and you can select the date and time you want the message sent... "CARETTA" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message news:OXJ1OZsqDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > hi, > does anyone know how to send mails at a scheduled time from outllok exp...

e-mail #48
How do I check if someone has read the e-mail I sent them? On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:31:04 -1000, lysha <lysha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I check if someone has read the e-mail I sent them? Ask them. :-) There isn't any guaranteed way to do it. In Outlook you can select "Options" and check the "Request a Read Receipt" box. That will often, but not always, work. Not all mail servers support read receipts, not all clients support them and it is possible to read a message without triggering the receipt. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP-O...

What do classify as Internet mail?
Hi all What is internet mail? Is it only mail that comes from internet based accounts like yahoo, hotmail, free internet mail accounts OR is it something different. Thanks for helping me... On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 04:58:02 -0700, Craig from Huguenot <CraigfromHuguenot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all > >What is internet mail? Is it only mail that comes from internet based >accounts like yahoo, hotmail, free internet mail accounts OR is it something >different. Thanks for helping me... > ANy mail that comes from the Internet? Andy David - MVP <adavid@...

notification when new mail arrive if outlook is not active
Is there possibility to have notification when new mail arrive, even outlook is not open >-----Original Message----- >Is there possibility to have notification when new mail >arrive, even outlook is not open >. > To set up a notification, go to Tools --> Options --> Email Options and check the box 'Display a notification message when new email arrives'. This can only work if Outlook is open. I now that but I need notification if Outlook is not started!!! >-----Original Message----- > >>-----Original Message----- >>Is there possibility...

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit SLOW download of mail
I've read most of the posts I can find related to the slowness of Outlook retrieving mail and I still can't resolve this. I have a POP account at Roadrunner. My normal downloads are very fast. Sending mail is fast. Receiving mail - I can watch the count of BYTES going up about 30 at a time... BYTES not KB not MB. THe typical fix I see doesn't appear to be valid in Win7 only Vista (the Autosize window or something like that). I thought I'd take a chance and try the Beta of Outlook 2010 and guess what? It;s still slow. Any thoughts? This is really a dog. Open...

windows xp
I tried to uninstall the program "logmein" but I am unable to do it neither from add/remove programs in control panel, nor by manually removing all folders after a search. I get a message "access denied" and "another version of the pogram is running" while there is no other version on the system. How do I get rid of the program? Thanks. R. Meron Microsoft's Help system has landed you in the wrong newsgroup: this one is for the database program Microsoft Access. Please use the dropdown box (the one that says "Access" by default) to select ...

Cannot send mail to certain domains
For some reasons, we cannot send mail to state.az.us mail domain. The mail address pattern is recipient@cc.state.az.us or recipient@util.cc.state.az.us .. I don't know if the long domain name caused problem or not. ANy help is greatly appreciated. Bill our message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 4/23/2004 12:14 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'recipient@util.cc.state.az.us' on 4/23/2004 12:15 PM Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure state.az.us preference = 5, mail exchanger = email.sta...

Coma between two e-mails
I need to send bulk e-mail, How to insert coma between two e-mails With the comma key. But that's something you do in your e-mail client. Hemang wrote: > I need to send bulk e-mail, How to insert coma between two e-mails With email address 1 in A1 and email address 2 in A2 =A1 & "," & A2 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 May 2010 04:39:01 -0700, Hemang <Hemang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to send bulk e-mail, How to insert coma between two e-mails Thu, 13 May 2010 04:39:01 -0700 from Hemang <Hemang@discussion...

Internal Mail Forwarding & Rules...
All, I have a curious problem: We have disallowed external mail forwarding, but of course users can still auto-forward emails within the organization by using rules. For the most part this works rather well, but one or two users can only forward email to internal users via rules by running said rules manually. I have deleted the rules and rebuilt them a number of times trying different built scenarios; I get same behavior. Before I take the drastic step of deleting the users’ profiles and starting over, I thought I’d look for a solution here. Vincent Martin MCSE/MSCA 2000/2003 + M...

Reinstalling windows/office
I have Office 2007, and have insalled it on 3 computers, which is all it allows. If I erase everything, and reinstall Windows, will I be able to install Office again? Is there something that tells the Office program that this is the same computer, and that it's just being REinstalled? Presumably thats Office H&S since thats the only version licensed for 3 family PC's If thats the case the licence is for 3 working PC's, if neccessary use phone activation. There is no de-activation process "RoCa" <RoCa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Windows 2008 SBS and rebuilding the VSS writers?
Hello, I have a new HP ML350 G6 that is certified to run SBS 2008 and we have a problem when trying to get a backup. We are using a third party product that is backing up to the Internet Cloud and this product works in other sites without any issues. We have had the third party vendor troubleshoot the issue. The issue is that the Exchange Information Store service gets stopped when we are trying to do any kind of backup, even just a test backup of a few files. The third party vendor tells me that we need to rebuild the VSS writers on this server to fix the problem. I ha...

Passwords wont save in Outlook 2002 with Windows XP
No matter how many times I check the box to save I have to put the password in manually everytime to get my email- HELP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259416 might be helpful. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "scooterpie47@attbi.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:048701c3d855$e0b25830$a301280a@phx.gbl... > No matter how many times I check the box to save I have > to put the password in manually everytime to get my email- > HELP ...

Outbox Mail Open in 2003
This just started. When I create an e-mail and select send it goes to Outbox. When I select send and receive the mail in the Outbox remains there. When I look at the mail in the Outbox it indicates it has been opened. I have tried moving it to Drafts and sending it again. Same thing, Outbox mail is open. Any ideas? Ray ...

Office 2010, some e-mail will not send
While sending a number of e-mails, a good number of them will not send, blocks all other sends. Outlook 2010 does not offer any error. outlook 2010 x86, Win 7 x86. -- Art what type of account? is there any similarities between the stuck messages? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EAS...

SPB Finance on Windows Mobile 5.0
I recently purchased a Windows Mobole 5.0 phone and was extremely disspoointed to find out (after the fact) that Pocket Money does not work on WM5. So now I am considering other options. I ran across the program called SPB Finance. It supports both Windows Mobile 5.0 and all the recent versions of MS Money. Do any of you use SPB Finance on WM5? How does it compare to Pocket Money? Does it sync items well? Should I wait (a while) until a compatible version of Pocket Money comes out or buy SPB Finance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bryan SPB is worth a look, Bryan. -- Mich...

my outlook wont open and it says cannot open outlook window
please can you help as my computer wont open outlook but will open all other office systems Start Outlook with the resetnavpane switch; Start-> Run; outlook.exe /resetnavpane (note the space in the command) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF619BC7-E7DB-4580-A8A6-E9E396BF8D80@microsoft.com....

Search ALL Mail folders
(Microsoft Office Outlook 2003). When I type a word in the "Look for:" box, click "All Mail folders" in the "Search in" drop-down list and click "Find Now", the results appear in a list labelled "Inbox". (This leads me believe that only the "Inbox" folder is being searched). How do I see the results from ALL folders? Searching the Inbox folder includes all subfolders if you have specified they are included. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook ve...

Outlooks "Incoming mail (POP3)" keeps changing to "local"
Hi everyone, I have a question on Outlook 2000, every few days my account setting for the "Incoming mail (POP3)" change from the mail server I have specified to "local" and the mailServer then gets added to the "Account name" /meMailServerName Any ideas on why is it doing this, and can I stop it from doing this, cause each time it does, I have to manually change it back to original setting so I can get my mail. Shawn This is your antivirus software, most likely (or antispam software). Outlook doesn't do this. Check with the mfr. to see if they have an...