Unexpected characters appear in Windows

Am running Windows Vista Home Premium, SP 1 with Windows Mail.

Due to catastrophic hardware malfunctions I bought a new system with the new
OS installed for about two days.

Thus far, only Windows Mail shows this problem.

If I go to use end bracket for example (>) - something I like to use when
quoting back replies - it appears only as a period (.)

Question marks (?) come up as some kind of French letter with an accent.

All of the things associated with shift+"x" seem to be fouled ...

A multitude of other characters are also wrong but I think only highlighting
one or two of them is sufficient ....

I am Canadian but do not ever use French language sets or anything outside
of English ...

Thanks if anyone can help me resolve my issue

tanya

0
Tanya

When composing a message, what do you see when you do "View | Encoding"?
When I view your message and do "View | Encoding", it says the encoding is
"User Defined". That is probably the problem. I am not sure what it should
be; probably "Western European (ISO)".

"Tanya" <slushpuppymals@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Am running Windows Vista Home Premium, SP 1 with Windows Mail.
>
> Due to catastrophic hardware malfunctions I bought a new system with the
> new OS installed for about two days.
>
> Thus far, only Windows Mail shows this problem.
>
> If I go to use end bracket for example (>) - something I like to use when
> quoting back replies - it appears only as a period (.)
>
> Question marks (?) come up as some kind of French letter with an accent.
>
> All of the things associated with shift+"x" seem to be fouled ...
>
> A multitude of other characters are also wrong but I think only
> highlighting one or two of them is sufficient ....
>
> I am Canadian but do not ever use French language sets or anything outside
> of English ...
>
> Thanks if anyone can help me resolve my issue
>
> tanya

0
Sam
1/14/2010 4:12:27 PM
Go to Tools | Options | International and set the default encoding to
Western European and do the same under Tools | Options | Read | Fonts.

In addition go to Control Panel | Regional and language Settings | Keyboards
and make sure you have things set correctly there.

steve

"Tanya" <slushpuppymals@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Am running Windows Vista Home Premium, SP 1 with Windows Mail.
>
> Due to catastrophic hardware malfunctions I bought a new system with the
> new OS installed for about two days.
>
> Thus far, only Windows Mail shows this problem.
>
> If I go to use end bracket for example (>) - something I like to use when
> quoting back replies - it appears only as a period (.)
>
> Question marks (?) come up as some kind of French letter with an accent.
>
> All of the things associated with shift+"x" seem to be fouled ...
>
> A multitude of other characters are also wrong but I think only
> highlighting one or two of them is sufficient ....
>
> I am Canadian but do not ever use French language sets or anything outside
> of English ...
>
> Thanks if anyone can help me resolve my issue
>
> tanya

0
Steve

Do i have to use an HOTMAIL account for Windows Live Mail?
I'm so frustrated! I just got a new website for my business and I am trying to set up my e-mails through windows live but it keeps sending me errors. I am inputting all my information as the guy told me to but it still isnt working. Apparently my e-mail will work in OUTLOOK though. Can anyone tell me if i have to use an hotmail account or if i can use my own such as nicole@gmpearson.ca Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-M...

partitionsize windows 7
I looked into the HD (500GB) of my new Dell Inspiron with windows 7 home premium 64bits and found that there was only one volume C: with primary partition of 456 Gb and a recovery partition of 15 GB. As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease the c: partion of Windows 7? So what is the minimum size for that partition? regards __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4667 (20091207) __________ Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com The minimum size is what...

NOTES field appears in tiny font
I imported .pst files from XP into Windows 7, Outlook 2007 for both. All seems fine EXCEPT that in both Contacts and Calendar, whatever is in the Notes section is teensy. I have to make it 72 pt to be able to read it at all, and then it's still not up to regular 11pt. All other fields (name, email address; appointment info) appear normal size. This is the case for all saved contacts and calendar appointments. I have been through Tools/Options/Mail format/ Fonts and also Contacts Options, Calendar Options and I sure don't see anywhere else to alter font size. The re...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, one could select a cell, highlight a part of the contained text string and then right-clidk and format text. I could get underlining, bold, font, color, etc. For some reason, with Excel 2007, I can do the same, but when I hit the enter button, the formatting disappears. It reappears if I select the cell and press F2. Is there some setting that I have missed? ...

maximum window size
Hello, I would appreciate if someone can help me figure how to maximum window size when viewing a new message or composing a new message. I am using Outlook Express (Office XP), Windows 2000 Outlook Express, and Outlook XP are two different programs.... however, open a new email. Move it to the upper left corner of the screen, (left click the blue bar, hold the mouse, and drag it), Now point to the bottom right corner of the new message, you should get a diagonal left/right arrow. left click the corner, holding the mouse button down, drag it to the right and down, until the screen is expan...

Failed windows update
Automatic windows update failed to install the above two updates. Error code 646 came up. I downloaded the two updates from Microsoft website and tried manual install and the result is same with error code 646 and the message 'this package failed to install'. I have vista business and MS Office 2007. The above two updates are related to MS Office 2007 (Infopath 2007 and Outlook 2007) I hope some one can come up with a solution or probably already has one?!! I ended up going round and round on the web and also on microsoft website. Thanks in advance. I'm stuck wi...

windows message
something is stopping my print spoolerfrom working I have a e-machine with Vista home. windows keeps popping up saying.. spooler subsystem app stopped working and was closed... does anyone know what that means?? thank you -- patty319 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ patty319's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/252625.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1355715.htm http://forums.techarena.in patty319 wrote: > something is stopping my print spoolerfrom working > > I have a e-mac...

Saving message to Windows Folder
Hi, I'm using OE as my newsreader, and can copy a newsgroup message to an OE folder, but can't seem to recall how to save a message to a Windows folder. Also, is there a way to save the messages to a Windows folder so they are "grouped by conversation"? Thanks in advance. "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uGXU%232qBJHA.1628@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'm using OE as my newsreader, and can copy a newsgroup message to an OE > folder, but can't seem to recall how to save a message to a Windows ...

little envelope doesn't appear
The little envelope that appears in the system tray when new mail arrives, has suddenly stopped appearing. Does anyone know how I can turn this feature back on please? Using Outlook 2003 and Win XP Thanks. Outlook - > Tools->Options->Email Options - >Advanced Email Options -> Show envelope icon in notification area "The Little One" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OknAcBObFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > The little envelope that appears in the system tray when new mail arrives, > has suddenly stopped appearing. > Does anyone know ho...

Outlook 03 wont sync with windows live
I have the connecter to connect outlook 2003 to windows live hotmail but i started getting this error message... Error in Mail There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account has been configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web. and now i cannot use outlook to see whats in my windows live hotmail inbox some help would be appreciated. 1st make sure you are using the latest version of the Outlook Connector. Try the latest beta if it still available. Next I'd remove then re-add the account. -- Bill R MVP "Roshantaz" <Roshanta...

Creating a comand window, like the one in Visual Studio
Hi, I was wondering how Microsoft have done their "Command Window" in a debug session under Visual Studio? I would like a similar feature in my application, allowing me to issue commands. I would like to have it integrated into my application like Microsoft have done, rather than launch a console window. Thanks in advance, Chris ...

Using mail.live.com rather than Windows Live Mail when clicking on a link
This is obviously personal preference, but is there a way to make clicking links to send email go to mail.live.com to send the email rather than open Windows Live Mail? I not only prefer the web interface over Windows Live Mail, but it allows me to do the sending in another tab rather than opening another window. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. -- Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/ Are you talking about using Send Page / Link within IE or your internet browser? Those use the mail program set as your "default mail handler". If...

Attachments appear as icon
Attachments which I send, appear as an icon within my message area. They used to appear in an attachment bar. What have I changed and how do I reset it Please use "Reply to group" only when replying to this post Thanks Sam I believe that when you attach an item to a new message, it appears as an icon within the message area. However if it is a fwd or reply to a message and you attach something it appears in the attachment bar. Mine has always been that way so I thought that was just the way it was. Good luck :-) >-----Original Message----- >Attachments which I se...

I cant install the windows live messenger
when the installation has completed . This error hr:0x800700003 has Appeared .... i dont know what this means ? please help me! Hi, I have the same problem too. Every time i try to install the last version of messenger in my computer the installation completes and then rolls back!!!!I have windows 7 x64 bit in my laptop. Please help!!!! ...

How to I access my Outlook 2003 mail in Windows 7?
My new computer has the Windows 7 OS. I have a second HD from my old computer installed in the new computer. It ran Windows XP and I used Outlook 2003. How can I get all the data from Outlook 2003 to the hard drive with the Windows 7 OS? "sonoitadeb" <sonoitadeb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89DA6C1C-C000-4391-BCEC-487B28055829@microsoft.com... > My new computer has the Windows 7 OS. I have a second HD from my old > computer > installed in the new computer. It ran Windows XP and I used Outlook 2003. > How > can I get all the ...

Windows Server Backup
Kind of a silly questoin but... I am running WIndows 2008 R2. I removed the menu options for the backup interface and cannot get it back. Details on scheduled jobs, last ran etc. show up but I cannot run a new job because the options are not there. I can run using wbadmin command line fine and have reinstalled feature and rebooted to no avail. Any thoughts. ...

Sales Transaction Entry Screen Warning Window
When a message pops up stating that a customer is over their credit limit or if an item is being sold for less than cost the pop up windows have the exact same appearance. I would like them to be somewhat different to bring more of an attention to them. Also, I would like to have a pop up warning window option if our cost is at $0.00. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this lin...

Re: ODBC driver for CSV/TEXT file on Windows 2008
Additional info: VS 2005 - 32 bit app. I had no problem accessing various SQLserver databases in our network. Bill "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message news:... I need to know how to obtain and install ODBC text driver on a WIndows 2008 server. CUrrently, the only driver installed is SQLServer v 6.01.7600 The code below worked on my PC but not on the server (as a client machine). Dim csvConnection As OdbcConnection Dim ConnectionString As String = "Driver={Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)};Dbq=" & mcsvPath & ";" YOur...

Rename sheet by removing any invalid character
I'm currently using macro below to remove / as invalid character and keep the character limit to 31. However i would also like to add the other invalid characters ? \ [ ] * so that i can provide for more invalid characters - Pls help thxs Sub SheetNameActivecell() Application.ActiveSheet.Name = Left(Application.Substitute (ActiveCell.Value, "/", ""), 31) End Sub Sub SheetNameActivecell() Dim BadSym(6) BadSym(1) = "/" BadSym(2) = "\" BadSym(3) = "?" BadSym(4) = "[" BadSym(5) = "]" BadSym(6) =...

Can I make Undo remove more than a character at a time?
In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by the button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always just removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting text. Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger block at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works in the Outlook 2007 e-mail editor and I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions of Word, unless I paused for a long time between each character I typed. Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007? ...

Vertical Split Window
Is it possible to have a window split vertically rather than horizontally? Most screens are wide enough to comfortably put 2 pages side by side, but when the split is horizontal there isn't as much space to view the two panes. You can view two consecutive pages in any version of Word. In recent versions, you can open another copy of the same document and use View | Side by Side. By default, the two copies scroll synchronously (the feature is designed for comparing two different documents), but you can disable that. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into ...

problems with Windows Mobile Device Center application
I installed WMDC on my laptop using Windows 7 Ultimate but when I try to run it NOTHING HAPPENS the errors I see on the event viewer's are: Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 11/30/2009 12:10:54 PM Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: INTRANET\acarrillo Computer: acarrillo-MOBL.intranet.corp.adnsolutions.net Description: Detection of product '{904CCF62-818D-4675-BC76-D37EB399F917}', feature 'WindowsMobileDeviceCenter' failed during request for component ...

how do I make a paper look like a windows window?
I want to make a paper look like a window in the computer, so my presentation has more computer like decoration. archer <archer@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to make a paper look like a window in the computer, so my > presentation has more computer like decoration. Step 1: Look at a Windows window. Step 2: Recreate what you see using the shape, text, and picture tools in Publisher Alternatively Step 1: Hire a professional or semi-professional to do this for you. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Take a screen shot (PrtScrn) t...

Character Count #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7E972.E3282130 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a simple formula or function to count the number of characters = and spaces in a cell TIA Mike K ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C7E972.E3282130 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D&quo...

Word opens in small window after disconnecting from a large monitor