Outlook Express to Windows Mail

I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle Bin)
Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder & import
it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC with OE as it
will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
--
Thanks, Bill
Post replies back to News Group

0
Willy

The easiest way would be to restore it to OE as WinMail can't read a dbx
file, and you can avoid the overwrite. Create a new temporary folder and
move all the messages from the folder the messages will be restored to, to
this new folder. Restore the bak file and then simply drag the messages
back in from the temporary file.

All e-mail items may be missing when you start Outlook Express 6 Service
Pack 1:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069

To restore a bak folder to the message store folder, first locate the
Message Store in Windows Explorer.

In OE: Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the
location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down.

In WinXP, the dbx files are by default marked as hidden. To view these
files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders
under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options Icon | View, or in Windows
Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing, or empty,
folder and drag it to the Desktop. It can be deleted later once you have
successfully restored the bak file. Minimize the Message Store.

Open OE and, if the folder is missing, create a folder with the *exact*
same name as the bak file you want to restore but without the .bak. Eg: If
the file is Saved.bak, the new folder should be named Saved. Open the new
folder and then close OE. If the folder is there, but just empty, continue
on to the next step.

First, check if there is a bak file already in the message store. If there
is, and you removed the dbx file, go ahead and rename it to dbx.

If it isn't already in the message store, open the Recycle bin and right
click on the bak file for the folder in question and click Restore. Open
the message store back up and change the file extension from .bak to .dbx.
Close the message store and open OE. The messages should now be back in
the folder.

If the messages are successfully restored, you can go ahead and delete the
old dbx file that you moved to the Desktop.

*************************

FYI: OE doesn't compact files to the Recycle Bin. They are copied there in
case something goes wrong, which apparently did. It's a backup feature.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]
      Imperial Beach, CA

"Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle Bin)
> Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder &
> import it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC
> with OE as it will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
> --
> Thanks, Bill
> Post replies back to News Group

0
Bruce
5/14/2010 3:32:23 AM
Thanks for that.

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/styles/vista/buttons/reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
0
Americano
5/14/2010 3:58:19 AM
Treat the bak file as if it was foreign dbx file and give it a new name =
and then import it into OE as an individual dbx file:  =
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1 =20

steve

"Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
> I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle =
Bin)=20
> Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder & =
import=20
> it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC with OE =
as it=20
> will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
> --=20
> Thanks, Bill
> Post replies back to News Group

0
Steve
5/14/2010 11:38:50 AM
Got it both ways described.  Thanks for Tips Bruce.  Bruce, OE seems to
Compact on it's own every 100 closes of OE.  That & manual Compact always
end with a Window saying Folders & Online could not be Compacted.
--------------
Thanks..................Bill

"Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle Bin)
> Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder & import
> it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC with OE as
> it will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
> --
> Thanks, Bill
> Post replies back to News Group

0
Willy
5/14/2010 5:45:48 PM
You're welcome. However, Folders.dbx needs to be compacted. But first, is
'Online' the name of a folder you created?
--

> Got it both ways described.  Thanks for Tips Bruce.  Bruce, OE seems to
> Compact on it's own every 100 closes of OE.  That & manual Compact
> always end with a Window saying Folders & Online could not be Compacted.
> --------------
> Thanks..................Bill
>
> "Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle Bin)
>> Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder &
>> import
>> it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC with OE
>> as
>> it will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
>> --
>> Thanks, Bill
>> Post replies back to News Group

0
Bruce
5/14/2010 5:53:11 PM
Bruce, Sorry I misstated problem while Compacting.  It does this after going
through all Folders.  Window opens that looks something like below:
OUTLOOK EXPRESS
    Cannot complete as other application is open or in use.
                                    OK

I Click OK to clear Window. I have it Offline.

Thanks Again,
Bill

"Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> You're welcome. However, Folders.dbx needs to be compacted. But first, is
> 'Online' the name of a folder you created?
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>      Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Got it both ways described.  Thanks for Tips Bruce.  Bruce, OE seems to
>> Compact on it's own every 100 closes of OE.  That & manual Compact always
>> end with a Window saying Folders & Online could not be Compacted.
>> --------------
>> Thanks..................Bill
>>
>> "Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got a *.bak (was a *.dbs until OE Compacted it to the Recycle Bin)
>>> Folder in my PC with XP and was wondering how to take that folder &
>>> import
>>> it into Windows Mail?  I don't want to Restore it on my XP PC with OE as
>>> it will overwrite a folder with newer Email.
>>> --
>>> Thanks, Bill
>>> Post replies back to News Group

0
Willy
5/14/2010 7:50:05 PM
Reboot and open OE. Compact manually while offline before you do anything
else. Does it still hang?

If you drag that error message out of the way it will show what folder it
is stuck on. Normally with SP3 installed, manual compacting will not hang
on Folders.dbx while compacting via the prompt will.

If it is Folders.dbx it is hanging on, I would create a new one.
Folders.dbx is essentially the brains if the dbx file system and if
becomes corrupted, you could lose much of your messages.

Close OE and delete Folders.dbx from the message store.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

A new Folders.dbx file will be created when you open OE and you should be
able to complete the compacting process now.

So you as not surprised, please read this first.

Consequences of deleting Folders.dbx:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#deldbx
--

> Bruce, Sorry I misstated problem while Compacting.  It does this after
> going through all Folders.  Window opens that looks something like
> below:
> OUTLOOK EXPRESS
>    Cannot complete as other application is open or in use.
>                                    OK
>
> I Click OK to clear Window. I have it Offline.
>
> Thanks Again,
> Bill
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> You're welcome. However, Folders.dbx needs to be compacted. But first,
>> is 'Online' the name of a folder you created?
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>>         MS-MVP  [Mail]
>>      Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Got it both ways described.  Thanks for Tips Bruce.  Bruce, OE seems
>>> to Compact on it's own every 100 closes of OE.  That & manual Compact
>>> always end with a Window saying Folders & Online could not be
>>> Compacted.
>>> --------------
>>> Thanks..................Bill
>>>
>>> "Willy" <justask@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Bruce

CRM address book in Outlook

Outlook Sales

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

OE autodelete OLD mail

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Test for Windows Classic folders in XP?