Logon dialog requesting user name and password keeps me from accessing my mail. Any ideas?

I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express
replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the logon
dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I did not set
it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I tried every ID and
Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error msg I'm inputting the
wrong ID and./or Password in.

Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I can
get back into my mail?

Thanks much in advance, Rob

0
Rob

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express
> replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the
> logon dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I did
> not set it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I tried
> every ID and Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error msg I'm
> inputting the wrong ID and./or Password in.
>
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I can
> get back into my mail?
>
> Thanks much in advance, Rob

Contact Cox, your ISP, and ask them to reset your account details, explain
the problem that you are having.

We have no Idea what your password might be?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
2/21/2010 1:24:06 AM
This can be a symptom of antivirus interference.  Try a test please, invoke
a manual virus scan on your PC and report back if it then lets you in mail
without the password prompts.  (I have a theory . . . . )

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express
> replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the
> logon dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I did
> not set it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I tried
> every ID and Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error msg I'm
> inputting the wrong ID and./or Password in.
>
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I can
> get back into my mail?
>
> Thanks much in advance, Rob

0
slk759
2/21/2010 1:26:44 AM
Thanks Steve, I had already been in contact with my ISP and we reset the
password and created a new one etc and no luck there.

I did just load some new antivirus software just prior to this happening.
I'm starting the scan now ...... until then thanks much and I'll keep this
open for more input and my feedback.
"slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> This can be a symptom of antivirus interference.  Try a test please,
> invoke a manual virus scan on your PC and report back if it then lets you
> in mail without the password prompts.  (I have a theory . . . . )
>

> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express
>> replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the
>> logon dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I
>> did not set it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I
>> tried every ID and Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error
>> msg I'm inputting the wrong ID and./or Password in.
>>
>> Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I
>> can get back into my mail?
>>
>> Thanks much in advance, Rob

0
Rob
2/21/2010 1:37:27 AM
You may not need to wait for the scan to complete . . . . try the mail now,
if no dice, try it again after the scan.  What AV s/w did you install?

> Thanks Steve, I had already been in contact with my ISP and we reset the
> password and created a new one etc and no luck there.
>
> I did just load some new antivirus software just prior to this happening.
> I'm starting the scan now ...... until then thanks much and I'll keep this
> open for more input and my feedback.
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> This can be a symptom of antivirus interference.  Try a test please,
>> invoke a manual virus scan on your PC and report back if it then lets you
>> in mail without the password prompts.  (I have a theory . . . . )
>>

>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Vista 64 bit and have been using WinMail (Outlook Express
>>> replacement) since I upgraded. Now, all of the sudden I'm getting the
>>> logon dialog popping up anytime I try to access my mail. Even though I
>>> did not set it up to require a logon and password when I set it up, I
>>> tried every ID and Password I've ever used and I keep getting the error
>>> msg I'm inputting the wrong ID and./or Password in.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please tell me what I can do to get rid of that dialog so I
>>> can get back into my mail?
>>>
>>> Thanks much in advance, Rob

0
slk759
2/21/2010 1:54:44 AM
+I've completed a manual scan and there were no threats, malware, etc. I
still have the problem of the logon dialog. I'm thankful there are people
like yourself that are sticking with me to resolve this. What next?

Take care, Rob
> You may not need to wait for the scan to complete . . . . try the mail
> now, if no dice, try it again after the scan.  What AV s/w did you
> install?
>

> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Steve, I had already been in contact with my ISP and we reset the
>> password and created a new one etc and no luck there.
>>
>> I did just load some new antivirus software just prior to this happening.
>> I'm starting the scan now ...... until then thanks much and I'll keep
>> this open for more input and my feedback.
>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> This can be a symptom of antivirus interference.  Try a test please,
>>> invoke a manual virus scan on your PC and report back if it then lets
>>> you in mail without the password prompts.  (I have a theory . . . . )
>>>

>>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message

0
Rob
2/21/2010 6:30:12 PM
My curiosity resided in could you start WM without the login loop once you
started the AV scan manually - not waiting for it to complete, just starting
it and then immediately attempting to open WM.  My guess is that it is not
working.  You didn't say which AV you installed recently.  Try disabling the
AV's email component - you may have to uninstall and then "custom" reinstall
to achieve that.  I test the email while it is temporarily uninstalled for
the most accurate determination of the product's interference.

> +I've completed a manual scan and there were no threats, malware, etc. I
> still have the problem of the logon dialog. I'm thankful there are people
> like yourself that are sticking with me to resolve this. What next?
>
> Take care, Rob
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> You may not need to wait for the scan to complete . . . . try the mail
>> now, if no dice, try it again after the scan.  What AV s/w did you
>> install?
>>

>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Steve, I had already been in contact with my ISP and we reset the
>>> password and created a new one etc and no luck there.
>>>
>>> I did just load some new antivirus software just prior to this
>>> happening. I'm starting the scan now ...... until then thanks much and
>>> I'll keep this open for more input and my feedback.
>>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message

0
slk759
2/21/2010 9:41:55 PM
Horseturds, I've tried your suggestions "SLK" and no good. I even have AV
completely uninstalled and I've run cleanup utilities for the drive and
registry. Still the same old dialog pops up. I'm rackin my very small
"obtula mongota" (whatever that means LOL).

Anyway thanks again and I'll keep updates posted as needed, take care Rob.
> My curiosity resided in could you start WM without the login loop once you
> started the AV scan manually - not waiting for it to complete, just
> starting it and then immediately attempting to open WM.  My guess is that
> it is not working.  You didn't say which AV you installed recently.  Try
> disabling the AV's email component - you may have to uninstall and then
> "custom" reinstall to achieve that.  I test the email while it is
> temporarily uninstalled for the most accurate determination of the
> product's interference.
>

> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>> +I've completed a manual scan and there were no threats, malware, etc. I
>> still have the problem of the logon dialog. I'm thankful there are people
>> like yourself that are sticking with me to resolve this. What next?
>>
>> Take care, Rob
>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> You may not need to wait for the scan to complete . . . . try the mail
>>> now, if no dice, try it again after the scan.  What AV s/w did you
>>> install?
>>>

>>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message

0
Rob
2/22/2010 12:01:50 AM
Have you ever had Norton or McAfee antivirus installed on that PC?
Those are often included as a free trial on new computers. If so,
their uninstall needs to be followed up by using the vendor's
removal utility.

Also, that email account in your Windows Mail may be corrupted.
Delete it, restart Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> Horseturds, I've tried your suggestions "SLK" and no good. I even have =
AV=20
> completely uninstalled and I've run cleanup utilities for the drive =
and=20
> registry. Still the same old dialog pops up. I'm rackin my very small=20
> "obtula mongota" (whatever that means LOL).
>=20
> Anyway thanks again and I'll keep updates posted as needed, take care =
Rob.
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message=20
>> My curiosity resided in could you start WM without the login loop =
once you=20
>> started the AV scan manually - not waiting for it to complete, just=20
>> starting it and then immediately attempting to open WM.  My guess is =
that=20
>> it is not working.  You didn't say which AV you installed recently.  =
Try=20
>> disabling the AV's email component - you may have to uninstall and =
then=20
>> "custom" reinstall to achieve that.  I test the email while it is=20
>> temporarily uninstalled for the most accurate determination of the=20
>> product's interference.
>>

>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message=20
>>> +I've completed a manual scan and there were no threats, malware, =
etc. I=20
>>> still have the problem of the logon dialog. I'm thankful there are =
people=20
>>> like yourself that are sticking with me to resolve this. What next?
>>>
>>> Take care, Rob
>>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message=20

Express=20

>>>=20

0
Gary
2/22/2010 12:42:09 AM
"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> Horseturds, I've tried your suggestions "SLK" and no good. I even have AV
> completely uninstalled and I've run cleanup utilities for the drive and
> registry. Still the same old dialog pops up. I'm rackin my very small
> "obtula mongota" (whatever that means LOL).

Did you try your new account password etc at the cox.net online email
access?
http://www.cox.net/

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
2/22/2010 1:02:16 AM
Note that "cleanup utilities for the drive and registry" does not sound like
the cleanup utility that you need to run. If the AV program that you
uninstalled has a special cleanup utility, then you must use it; otherwise
you are vulnerable to the affect of the AV program even if you think you
have uninstalled it.

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> Horseturds, I've tried your suggestions "SLK" and no good. I even have AV
> completely uninstalled and I've run cleanup utilities for the drive and
> registry. Still the same old dialog pops up. I'm rackin my very small
> "obtula mongota" (whatever that means LOL).
>
> Anyway thanks again and I'll keep updates posted as needed, take care Rob.
> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> My curiosity resided in could you start WM without the login loop once
>> you started the AV scan manually - not waiting for it to complete, just
>> starting it and then immediately attempting to open WM.  My guess is that
>> it is not working.  You didn't say which AV you installed recently.  Try
>> disabling the AV's email component - you may have to uninstall and then
>> "custom" reinstall to achieve that.  I test the email while it is
>> temporarily uninstalled for the most accurate determination of the
>> product's interference.
>>

>> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> +I've completed a manual scan and there were no threats, malware, etc. I
>>> still have the problem of the logon dialog. I'm thankful there are
>>> people like yourself that are sticking with me to resolve this. What
>>> next?
>>>
>>> Take care, Rob
>>> "slk759" <slk759@nowhere.com> wrote in message

0
Sam

Can I keep an autoshape tool selected?
For example, if I want to draw multiple lines on a page using the line tool is there a way to just draw, draw, draw instead of going back to get the tool after each "draw". Thanks, Frank wrote: > For example, if I want to draw multiple lines on a page using the > line tool is there a way to just draw, draw, draw instead of going > back to get the tool after each "draw". > Thanks, In Word 2003 or earlier, you can double-click the line, arrow, rectange, or oval tool buttons on the Drawing toolbar (but not the other shapes that are only in the Aut...

Device hangs when accessing San Disk U3 USB device
Hello, We have two platforms both running CE 6.0 with QFEs up to 8/31/09. One is an ARM based and one is an x86 based (ICOP board). When we plug in and access this Sand Disk device that has this U3 feature (it runs some stuff when plugged in to a desktop and mounts CD ROM emulation or somthing) it will work just fine on the ARM based device. On the x86 though the process who acessed the device will hang until you unplug it. The device seems to mount, the folder for the device is visible. But as soon as you ask for the file listing it will hang until unplugged. Any advice is h...

OT
Is the Microsoft Exchange website down, by chance? When trying to access the ExBPA Page or the Exchange 2003 SP1 page, or the /exchange/library page, I recieve a Page not found error (Can't post it due to copyright). http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/ExBPA/default.asp http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/library Error page that launches: http://www.microsoft.com/library/errorpages/smarterror.aspx?404;http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/404.mspx When I try to access the main Exchange page, it now comes up with a 403 Forbidden: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange -- Bob Christ...

OWA 2003 NEW MAIL Popup
Does anyone know how to tweak the settings for this popup? I need it stay on until it is clicked or the email is read. I am assuming that this is a javascript somewher in the echangeweb folder. I have tried to sniff all of the traffic created by owa and eevery two minutes my machine polls the server for new mail. I am not sure through htis traffic how the popup is being generated. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. ...

Find/Replace command in Windows Live Mail
Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is available in Live Mail. I cannot find it. If not, does anyone know of a suitable solution for that "will be missed" command. No, it's not. If you need to use Find/Replace, select all the text and 'cut' it. Then paste into Notepad where you can do the Find/Replace. When done, paste the result back into your email message. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "LouiseL" wrote in message news:8C2EDC90-74F5-4D16-948F-461EACB0F3C3@microsoft.com... Does anyone know if the Find/Replace command is ava...

Converting Access 2000 back to Access 97
Hi Could someone give me some instructions on the above as I need to send them to someone who runs 2000 and I dont have access to the help guide on 2000. Thanks Edgar If I remember correctly, Access 2000 has a Tools | Database ... | Convert | Convert to previous version feature. -- Good luck Jeff Boyce <Access MVP> "Edgar Thoemmes" <EdgarThoemmes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC2369C1-9310-4929-8CF0-90A137FC0A8B@microsoft.com... > Hi > > Could someone give me some instructions on the above as I need to send them > to someone who run...

Outlook 2003 incoming mail server
I posted a message this morning asking for help. Harvey Yancey [MSFT] responded, but then I replied and never heard from anyone again. I tried emailing Mr Yancey, but the address harveyy@online.microsoft.com is no good. Please, someone, read this and help me! The initial message is on the bottom. >-----Original Message----- >Hi Tanya, > >What is the complete error message that you are receiving? > >Regards, > >Harvey Yancey [MSFT] >Exchange Client/Server Infrastructure >harveyy@online.microsoft.com > >This posting is provided "AS IS" wi...

Big problem! DNS name Space.
I have a need to share one DNS name space between four AD Exchange forest ( I know what your thinking, why would you do this! All I can say it’s government). All the forests are running Windows 2000 with Exchange 2003. My problem is I can’t seem to find a way to allow this to happen. I know it’s easy to accomplish this if it was just two forests, but how do you share the same E-mail address across four AD forest? Basically I need mail to come in into the first Exch Org and if the recipient is not found on that Exch Org to continue down the line to the next Org, in till the user is foun...

Counting how many different names in a long list
I have a list of 332 names many of them are duplicated. I am looking for a formula or function that can count how many unique names there are in the list. Can anyone help? -- Quaisne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Quaisne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28052 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501357 This'll count the number of distinct values in a range: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A99<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A99,A1:A99&"")) (adjust the range to matc...

Request Current
Hi! I've have an asp.net application that calls a backend service hosted in IIS using WCF. I'm having some performance issues that seems to be related to hitting the maximum number of connections. My initial question is: The Request Current counter in ASP.NET never drops to zero. It gets stuck at a minimum of 1-4. When the counter goes up to about 19-20 the application locks. It looks like its the backend service that locks up since other applications get a timeout calling other methods. Should the Request Current counter drop to zero or is it normal that it sta...

Assistance request with Transaction.DropAmount
I have been tasked with making an addition to the status.htm that will display a notification when the cash in the drawer has reached a particular value. I'm familiar with HTML and VB Script, but I've been going over the customization guide provided by MS and I'm a bit lost. The syntax that I see doesn't appear to be working for me or perhaps I just forgot how to do things. If anyone has any advice on how to access the values of Transaction.DropAmount or the value of cash in the cash drawer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Andrew Handerson ...

Server-Requested Client Action error: MoveCopy unable to create dest msg
I have a user receiving this error message. Server-Requested Client Action error: MoveCopy unable=20 to create dest msg Outlook 2002. Theare are no rules configured.=20 Any Idea? tks, Alisson S. Ara=FAjo ...

Managed User #2
Testing to see if this setup allows me to be properly identified as a managed user. ...

"grouping" a table to prevent change from users
Hi, I would like to group an entire table with a wdContentControlGroup type of Content Control to prevent editing from users except in some wdContentControlRichText type of Content Control. I'm having problem in passing the right Range of the table. If I use: With ActiveDocument Set r = .Tables(1).Range Set objcc = .ContentControls.Add(wdContentControlGroup, r) End With an error "5224" "Wrong selection" arise. If I use: With ActiveDocument .Tables(1).Select Set objcc = .ContentControls.Add(wdCo...

one or two emails will not go through form same user to same recei
Exchnage 2003 We have strange issue. some time we will not receive emails from client and most time we will. same email can be sent without any modification in subject or content and it will go through. what can cause this? Any suggestion will be helpful. thanks Chad You will need to enable message tracking and SMTP logging. Identify a time when the user said he sent you a message that you did not receive. Run message tracking to see if it's being delivered to the desination MB. If it doesn't show, check your SMTP logs to see if there are any SMTP transactions occuring with them d...

Blood Pressure User Defined Chart for Isolated Systolic Hypertensi
New chart type proposed (unless it exists) to show blood pressure with highlighted difference for ISH (see e.g. http://www.medicinenet.com/high_blood_pressure/page3.htm) or http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/hbp/whathbp.htm 3 series values: (1) systolic, (2) diastolic, and (3) pulse pressure (= systolic minus diastolic) For series 1 and 2, use current line graph Series 3, difference would be highlighted by a vertical line (with label) connecting Series 1 and 2 plot points for each reading This type of chart might have other uses (generalize BP terminology S, D, PP to high, low, difference). ...

Sheet you want to copy contains the name...
When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the destination workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q" and "zz". I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to complete itself. I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by Insert>Name>Define). How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist? Thanks. Names can be hidden, so Insert=>Name=>Define may not show them. In the troublesome workbook make a blank sheet active, then go...

Using Windows Mail in Windows &
I have been using Windows Mail (copied from Vista) in my Windows 7 computer for nearly 6 months without any problems. Now, since Windows update KB978542 was installed a couple of days ago it has stopped working. It appears as a running program in Windows Task manager but the user interface never appears. I have done a System Restore to before KB978542 and Windows Mail started working OK again, Repeated this three time so I have no doubt that it is KB978542 that has buggered it up. Has anyone else using Windows Mail in Windows 7 had this experience? Are MS purposely disabli...

Keeping Validation References When Breaking out Spreadsheets Using
Hello, I am using a version of Ron Debruin’s macro that breakouts spreadsheets into separate spreadsheets using a filter on a selected column. The issue that I am having is that I have a series of validation references located in the main sheet in hidden rows (rows 1-14 are hidden). I need to be able to retain these references in all the newly created sheets and retain the fixed references. How do I do this? Thanks in advance. Modified Ron Debruin Macro Sub FPR_Breakout_Worksheets() Dim calcmode As Long Dim ws1 As Worksheet Dim ws2 As Worksheet Dim WS...

Outlook 2007 receiving broken mails
I have a really mysterius problem to solve. I have four users who are in the same mail group. Three of them have Outlook 2007 and one of them has Outlook 2003. They are receiving almost 150 mail in on day and they seems to have heavy work. I am using cache mode with exchange std 2003. A broken mail is a mail with the first lines with the name of the sender only. The users with the Outlook 2007 are receiving broken mails, not the same time for the three of them. One mail is broken to the first user but to the other two the mail is seems to be fine. The last user with outlook 2003 has no...

Save file as readonly with password
is there a way for access to export a file to word (.rtf) as a read only file with a built in password to unprotect it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Re-enabling a disabled user problem
Hello, On my Exchange server (SBS 2003, Exchange 2003), I was recently instructed to delete a couple of logins of people who left the company. I like to simply disable them for a while just in case we need to get back into their mailboxes. One one such user, it turns out he still needs to use his mailbox. I re-enabled him, but all subsequent emails are bounced back ("The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator."). How do I open up the mailbox to receive emai...

Access 2007 Report Question
We have an a main equipment table that shows multiple pieces if equipment and current location. Is there an easy way to create a summary report which shows the current total for a specific item at a specific location? If you set up a grouping report. It may be necessary to create a grouping/totals query first on the table and use that query to create your report. The report wizard should give you a way to summarize the information with a count. "Rex Mundi" <jimb424@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5b1f06b3-dec5-4bb6-a539-59886fc7f140@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >...

Access 2003 file format advange?
We're upgrading our system from Access 2000 to Access 2003. I'm aware that version 2000 databases can be opened in Access 2003 without conversion, and it did, in fact open, but are there any benefits to converting the database to version 2003? Or, are there reasons why our 2000 database should NOT be converted to 2003? It's hard to beleive that it wouldn't matter one way or the other, and think there must be some advantage to converting to a file format of "2003" if we're using Access 2003. Many thanks in advance. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:13 -0500, Si...

why can't i find the send button and how do I configure e-mail
I seem to be able to write the e-mail but do not have a button to send. the message tells me my address is not configured? Did you create a profile for Outlook to use? http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm "LJDICKER" <LJDICKER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:211018AE-F489-4002-864E-FAEEC141AF6F@microsoft.com... > I seem to be able to write the e-mail but do not have a button to send. the > message tells me my address is not configured? ...